Seminal INXS Album ‘Kick’ Receives 30th-Anniversary Reissue In Dolby ATMOS - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #31 of 71 Old 11-05-2017, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Has anyone here received his copy? If so, please give us a review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 11-05-2017, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Has anyone here received his copy? If so, please give us a review.
Haven't received it yet but got a notice a couple of days ago that it has shipped from the UK.
ShoutingMan and JA Fant like this.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K M7 side surround speakers - M&K B1600 Height speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs -
Processor - Marantz 8805 (soon) - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI (2nd amp) - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #33 of 71 Old 11-13-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Guys-
how are you liking this set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 71 Old 11-13-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Mine doesn't ship from Bullmoose for a couple more weeks...

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #35 of 71 Old 11-13-2017, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Got mine yesterday ... haven't listened yet !
JA Fant likes this.
post #36 of 71 Old 11-19-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK ... finally got around to listening to this on the weekend.

Unfortunately I came away feeling a bit disappointed. My favorite surround discs seem to open up the music and let me peer inside - very hard to describe but I know it when I hear it. This disc just seems to be too much of a wall of sound - it just doesn't open up like I'd hoped.

The best two tracks are Devil Inside and Need You Tonight - for me they really stand out - the rest just aren't quite there.

On the positive side - there's no weird or over the top use of the surrounds, and the songs generally maintain their original character.

Of course this is just MHO and YMMV. I'll be interested to hear what others think.

Cheers,
post #37 of 71 Old 11-19-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I should have clarified that I'm listening in 7.1 - not set up for Atmos yet.

Cheers,
post #38 of 71 Old 11-19-2017, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3741 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
I should have clarified that I'm listening in 7.1 - not set up for Atmos yet.

Cheers,
Ah, that could explain things. If it was mixed for Atmos, much can be lost in the translation down to 7.1.

I won't have mine till Christmas since I let the wife talk me into letting my kids give it to me as a gift.
post #39 of 71 Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe. Didn't mean to spoil your Christmas anticipation !

I guess we'll know soon enough if it's me or the disc.

Sent my wife a bunch of links so I'm also hoping for some Christmas surround goodness.

Cheers,
post #40 of 71 Old 11-23-2017, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
Bull Moose shipped yesterday, and should get here on Black Friday. I don't have my Atmos setup properly, but I will listen to it ASAP, anyway. Hopefully get my Atmos setup properly soon, and will happily give it another listen at that time.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #41 of 71 Old 11-23-2017, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Bull Moose shipped yesterday, and should get here on Black Friday. I don't have my Atmos setup properly, but I will listen to it ASAP, anyway. Hopefully get my Atmos setup properly soon, and will happily give it another listen at that time.
Yeah, same here. Except my Atmos is amazingly and totally setup properly .

I'm trying to figure out another gift my kids can give me for christmas since I want to listen to this immediately, lol.

I have the R.E.M. disc to hold me over, but its awesomeness only makes me want to listen to this one more.
drh3b likes this.
post #42 of 71 Old 11-24-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, what do you know. look what showed up today

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171124_181040.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	862.7 KB
ID:	2320654  
JA Fant likes this.
post #43 of 71 Old 11-25-2017, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can select the PCM stereo version and the Atmos version on the fly during songs on this disc. So stereo vs. Atmos is immediately comparable. Very cool.

Unfortunately not a huge fan, and unlike the R.E.M. Atmos mix, it didn't really change how I feel about INXS. Whereas I really enjoy all but a few songs on the R.E.M. disc, there are only 2 or 3 on this disc that I really enjoy.

Going to need a bigger fan to comment here, and my wife fits that bill. I'll have her listen and let you know

But no doubt the Atmos mix is mostly a big step up from the stereo version, with Atmos used primarily for reverb and instruments, placing you more inside the mix vs. 5.1 or stereo.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 11-25-2017 at 07:54 AM.
post #44 of 71 Old 11-25-2017, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Not too impressed. Very dense and congested. The original mix was as well so I could see Giles staying true on the Stereo Mix. The 7.1 True HD is another story. No need to stay true to the original here but that is what he did. No sense of space and does not seem as sharp and clear as I would have expected. The Bass is boomy and swamps everything.Turning it down helps a bit but not the tight deep Bass I expected. I was impressed with Giles following the Beatles Love DVD-A but this and Pepper are both let downs. Luckily Bull Moose had a good deal on this so I don't feel too bad about it. SW seems to have the touch. Giles hit a double but I'm confident SW would have homered. This Genre may not be his cup of tea. Hope Giles see's the light before the White Album and Abbey Road get the MultiCH- Hi Res treatment.
ti-triodes and JA Fant like this.
post #45 of 71 Old 11-25-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZAP1 View Post
Not too impressed. Very dense and congested. The original mix was as well so I could see Giles staying true on the Stereo Mix. The 7.1 True HD is another story. No need to stay true to the original here but that is what he did. No sense of space and does not seem as sharp and clear as I would have expected. The Bass is boomy and swamps everything.Turning it down helps a bit but not the tight deep Bass I expected. I was impressed with Giles following the Beatles Love DVD-A but this and Pepper are both let downs. Luckily Bull Moose had a good deal on this so I don't feel too bad about it. SW seems to have the touch. Giles hit a double but I'm confident SW would have homered. This Genre may not be his cup of tea. Hope Giles see's the light before the White Album and Abbey Road get the MultiCH- Hi Res treatment.
Agreed. I forgot about the bass sucking until you just mentioned it. I guess you listened in 7.1, but that is the case on the Atmos mix too.

They didn't take advantage of what Atmos could bring to the table. It seems to me they approached it from a bed level speaker perspective, rather than re-imagining it for Atmos.

IMO, the R.E.M. - Automatic for the People Atmos mix elevated the music to another level. This mix doesn't do that.

That's not say there are not one or two good ones in here. For example, Need You Tonight just begs to be cranked way, way beyond healthy levels. There is a sense of space on this one. But overall, eh.
post #46 of 71 Old 11-26-2017, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Well, what do you know. look what showed up today

Sweet pic! How do the discs sound?
post #47 of 71 Old 11-26-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZAP1 View Post
Nice summation- GZAP1
this s one of many reasons that I do not dig H/T, 5.1, 7.1 ...etc. It is too difficult to get the musical message across, IMO.
This atoms thing is very new and will take quite a bit of time to work out the "bugs".

I have the original CD from the 80's- very good to excellent sound. INXS used excellent producers on most of their releases. No need in re-inventing the wheel.
post #48 of 71 Old 11-26-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Sweet pic! How do the discs sound?
I only listened once to the Atmos mix. I'm going to take another listen today and I'll give some more impressions.
JA Fant likes this.
post #49 of 71 Old 11-26-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 1159
I also got this from Bull Moose yesterday and have to agree with you guys. It's a bit squished and boomy sounding, isn't it? It looks like Giles is out of his league dealing with surround.
I'll be more wary of his stuff in the future, but it would be hard to pass up any Beatles surround, if anything does come out.
JA Fant and drh3b like this.
post #50 of 71 Old 11-26-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
I also got this from Bull Moose yesterday and have to agree with you guys. It's a bit squished and boomy sounding, isn't it? It looks like Giles is out of his league dealing with surround.
I'll be more wary of his stuff in the future, but it would be hard to pass up any Beatles surround, if anything does come out.
I agree to a certain extent, but apparently I like that, because I've noticed that I've liked other albums where others say it's compressed. I agree with you on the bass, although it sounds better on some tracks than others. At least it's a crisp, clean kind of boomy. I'm listening to the high def stereo mix right now, and the bass is not nearly as heavy.
And, yeah, I was disappointed in the Beatles surround sound mixes, but I'll probably buy others that come out.
ti-triodes and JA Fant like this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #51 of 71 Old 11-26-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I got the, "other people live in this house!" scalding on Need you Tonight

Some random thoughts:

Need You Tonight - Preferred in Atmos all around. I think because the bass balance is ok on this one. So crystal clear. I had to be hitting 110+ before I got scalded by the wife

Wild Life - Guitar floats around the ceiling on this one. I prefer the Atmos mix to Stereo here.

Never Tear Us Apart and Mystify Both preferred in stereo. In fact, I had to get up and be sure my ceilings and center were not on with Never Tear Us Apart. Epic stereo mix, it wrapped around. On Mystify the vocals cut through mix and are more forward on the stereo mix.

I think in general, the Atmos mix suffers from a more recessed vocal track and boomy bass compared to the stereo mix. It's like someone's elbow hit the "Bass Boost" button on the mixing board and nobody noticed. Too bad, because it distracts from what otherwise is a decent job with Atmos. And the vocals, they need to be brought forward more on most of the Atmos mixes (although this could be a result of the bass issue).
JA Fant, IronWaffle and drh3b like this.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 11-26-2017 at 07:44 PM.
post #52 of 71 Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK ... so it's not just me ... that's and

For comparison I just received Brothers In Arms on 5.1 SACD and it's EPIC !!

Cheers,
JA Fant likes this.
post #53 of 71 Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Cheers,
No, not just you .

I had the thought that maybe, just maybe, the problem could be some errant upper bass in the LFE channel that got missed. This has been known to happen on some MCH mixes. So I reduced the LFE LPF to 80 hz and relistened.

Unfortunately, that was not the problem.
post #54 of 71 Old 11-28-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Cheers,
To be fair, Brothers in Arms, was a very well produced CD way back in the 80's.
post #55 of 71 Old 11-28-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

True, however BIA was recorded at the dawn of the digital era. It was one of the very first DDD CDs to be made. I bought it on the day of release !

The recording was done at 16/44.1 as that's all they had in those days, yet it still results in an outstanding SACD.

More evidence that the numbers don't matter as much as the care taken with the recording / mixing / mastering.

Cheers,
drh3b likes this.
post #56 of 71 Old 11-28-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

More evidence that the numbers don't matter as much as the care taken with the recording / mixing / mastering.

Cheers,
Absolutely. I stream CD quality stuff that is as good as any Hi-rez stuff I own, and much of the "hi-rez" stuff is worse than the stuff I stream! Hi-rez is only marketing lipstick for bad recordings/mixes.

I know that is audiophile heresy, but a blind listening comparo would tell the truth of the matter .

Last edited by Gooddoc; 11-28-2017 at 07:12 PM.
post #57 of 71 Old 11-28-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Absolutely. I stream CD quality stuff that is as good as any Hi-rez stuff I own, and much of the "hi-rez" stuff is worse than the stuff I stream! Hi-rez is only marketing lipstick for bad recordings/mixes.

I know that is audiophile heresy, but a blind listening comparo would tell the truth of the matter .
Hey I can still blow folks away with vinyl....played on a 40+ year old turntable (and probably a 20 year old stylus)...
Gooddoc likes this.
post #58 of 71 Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Definitely disappointed with the Atmos mix.

My preference is the stereo pcm mix processed through Dolby Surround.

Result is more definition and punch on my 7.2.4 system.
post #59 of 71 Old 11-30-2017, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Definitely disappointed with the Atmos mix.

My preference is the stereo pcm mix processed through Dolby Surround.

Result is more definition and punch on my 7.2.4 system.
Received mine last week but still haven't listened to it yet...have to be in the mood for INXS (though I really do like this album). I don't have Atmos (yet or maybe ever) but of course I'm hoping for a fun/worthwhile multi channel mix...though not all are that and it seems as if this disc may fall short (shame). I'm sure I'll listen to it in the next few days and I'll make sure to check out the stereo mix and perhaps play with it with some of the DSP setting on my Yamaha or maybe just straight up on my Denon (which is in the basement and where I can play it louder when the wife is home).
JA Fant and Rex Steinkuller like this.
post #60 of 71 Old 01-31-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks! All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version