Seminal INXS Album ‘Kick’ Receives 30th-Anniversary Reissue In Dolby ATMOS - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #61 of 71 Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I just found out today that this deluxe edition exists and ordered it from Amazon. I have a 5.1 setup currently and wondering how this will sound on it. I personally am a big fan of INXS since the 80s and love this album front beginning to end so it was a must buy even if the surround mix isn't great. I'm not very familiar with Atmos and just looked into it a little and saw that the main difference is the use of ceiling firing speakers, rather than ceiling installed speakers. I guess I only need to replace my front speakers to get a 5.1.2 setup. I may end up trying that someday (but need a new AVR so not particularly eager to do it) since I think the Oppo UDP 203 supports Atmos (bitstream output).

Anyone tried this on a 5.1 system? I saw someone used a 7.1 and wasn't impressed, although the atmos folks don't seem that impressed either. Just curious as I have to wait another 2 days (the horror!) for it to arrive.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 11-21-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
I just found out today that this deluxe edition exists and ordered it from Amazon. I have a 5.1 setup currently and wondering how this will sound on it. I personally am a big fan of INXS since the 80s and love this album front beginning to end so it was a must buy even if the surround mix isn't great. I'm not very familiar with Atmos and just looked into it a little and saw that the main difference is the use of ceiling firing speakers, rather than ceiling installed speakers. I guess I only need to replace my front speakers to get a 5.1.2 setup. I may end up trying that someday (but need a new AVR so not particularly eager to do it) since I think the Oppo UDP 203 supports Atmos (bitstream output).

Anyone tried this on a 5.1 system? I saw someone used a 7.1 and wasn't impressed, although the atmos folks don't seem that impressed either. Just curious as I have to wait another 2 days (the horror!) for it to arrive.
It sounds good, but they changed the sound balance, the bass is MUCH heavier than what you remember.
post #63 of 71 Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
It sounds good, but they changed the sound balance, the bass is MUCH heavier than what you remember.
Interesting, I like my bass so maybe it'll be okay. The main thing I care about in multichannel is separation of instruments into different channels with minimal bleeding into other channels, and no vocals from the surrounds. Almost all mixes like that I like so hope it will be like that.

AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 71 Old 11-21-2018, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Interesting, I like my bass so maybe it'll be okay. The main thing I care about in multichannel is separation of instruments into different channels with minimal bleeding into other channels, and no vocals from the surrounds. Almost all mixes like that I like so hope it will be like that.

I lower the bass by 3db when I listen to this. It is not a discrete mix for the most part. Dense and congested like Pepper. It's not great or terrible. A better deal than Pepper for the price.
post #65 of 71 Old 11-22-2018, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 735
I was a bit disappointed to discover that the longer intro for the 'Never Tear Us Apart' video has been chopped off

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #66 of 71 Old 11-22-2018, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZAP1 View Post
I lower the bass by 3db when I listen to this. It is not a discrete mix for the most part. Dense and congested like Pepper. It's not great or terrible. A better deal than Pepper for the price.
Too bad! Oh well, I want this regardless so hoping it will not be too disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I was a bit disappointed to discover that the longer intro for the 'Never Tear Us Apart' video has been chopped off
That's too bad also, and interesting that the original video had a longer intro, since radio/video edits usually are shorter and oftentimes shorten the intro (like Sweet Child O' Mine).

post #67 of 71 Old 11-30-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZAP1 View Post
I see what you mean by the bass, which is brought up in the mix to a distracting level but so far only on one track ("Kick") of the 4-5 songs I've listened to so far. On "Kick" the base line, which I never really noticed before, is so prominent (but not boomy, just really noticeable) as to be distracting. I don't hate it per se, but just need to get used to it.

I don't have Atmos, but I overall like the 5.1 mix even though it is not, as you said, discrete. Still, I like the overall effect and I definitely like it more than some other recent 5.1 albums I've purchased (several REM albums, Imagine, Pet Sounds, Empire, etc.), although that's at least partly because this is one of my favorite albums from the 80s. And I like how the discs weren't in paper sleeves or pockets in the book, but in the usual "push hub" mount, although the blu-ray has more marks on it than I'm used to seeing on new blu-rays (which are usually spotless, compared with DVD and CDs especially.
weekendtoy and GZAP1 like this.

post #68 of 71 Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Just replaced my old Onkyo 5007 with a new Denon 4400h that has Atmos Decoders and XT32 vs the Onks plain XT. The Atmos mix is a big improvement with more space and tighter Bass( may be the XT32 here ) and overall better clarity. Much happier with this disc now.
post #69 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
A lot of times you need to actually hear an Atmos mix in real Atmos to get a better bubble of sound and an overall mix balance rather than hearing a mix down of the 7.1 TrueHD lossless core of the same mix.

REM's Automatic for the People Atmos mix is even better and expands out to 24.1.10 with a great use of objects and utilizes the immersive capabilities of home Atmos to great effect.

Too bad the entire REM catalog hasn't been Atmos-ized yet. I would buy them all though, I wish they would release the Blu-ray's separately and at a lower street. These deluxe sets are outrageously priced!!
sdurani and weekendtoy like this.
post #70 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
A lot of times you need to actually hear an Atmos mix in real Atmos to get a better bubble of sound and an overall mix balance rather than hearing a mix down of the 7.1 TrueHD lossless core of the same mix.
Wish I had Atmos so I could listen to it properly!

post #71 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked: 3716
Quote:
Wish I had Atmos so I could listen to it properly!
I will hopefully get my Atmos setup soon, or at least this summer, and this is how I will test it out first. I also have Deadpool II waiting as the 2nd test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page