Bruford - Seems Like A Lifetime Ago boxset - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 73 Old 12-20-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hollywood, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,324
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Someone asked. It started a discussion. No reason to get upset.
CruelInventions likes this.
sworth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 73 Old 12-20-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 6,585
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
Someone asked. It started a discussion. No reason to get upset.
Exactly. I guess Bill Mac should be admonished for posing a question unrelated to the thread topic. Toss him in forum jail for a few days as a lesson to all.
CruelInventions is offline  
post #63 of 73 Old 12-21-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 14,495
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Exactly. I guess Bill Mac should be admonished for posing a question unrelated to the thread topic. Toss him in forum jail for a few days as a lesson to all.
It should be krabapple that gets the "forum jail time" not me as he brought up the Hoffman forum in the first place . If he didn't bring it up maybe the thread wouldn't have gone so off topic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post
Dont' spread Hoffmanite/audiophile misinformation.
Bill
ti-triodes likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 73 Old 12-21-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hollywood, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,324
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 441
So what about that SH forum anyway?

(ducks for cover)
winoman likes this.
sworth is offline  
post #65 of 73 Old 12-22-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 6,585
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
It should be krabapple that gets the "forum jail time" not me as he brought up the Hoffman forum in the first place . If he didn't bring it up maybe the thread wouldn't have gone so off topic .



Bill
Fair enough. Jail for him, slap on the wrist for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
So what about that SH forum anyway?

(ducks for cover)
you bad.
CruelInventions is offline  
post #66 of 73 Old 01-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Member
 
Nalod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Seems like a lifetime ago......
When my wife said I was getting this for the holidays!!!
Hell's Bell's! Has Beelzebub taken over this forum?
We have one or two actual reviews? The bonus concert which was the band after few years and fully explored the music after few tours! What are the impressions of those performances? Really, there is no benefit to this package?


5.1 is always fun but how many times do we get to experience this novelty? Is there no fun in sitting down and listening to a new mix with in an immersive experience?
Im so looking forward to "Hells Bells" and others! I'll burn the 2.0 on to my music server and phones and will enjoy them for years! I saw the "My fathers Place" show that was recorded live and look forward to it and the other live as mentioned previously.
I know we get way critical at times but its the music!!! Sound is subjective and evokes emotion. Don't suck the life out it!
Nalod is offline  
post #67 of 73 Old 01-25-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
Seems like a lifetime ago......
When my wife said I was getting this for the holidays!!!
Hell's Bell's! Has Beelzebub taken over this forum?
We have one or two actual reviews? The bonus concert which was the band after few years and fully explored the music after few tours! What are the impressions of those performances? Really, there is no benefit to this package?


5.1 is always fun but how many times do we get to experience this novelty? Is there no fun in sitting down and listening to a new mix with in an immersive experience?
Im so looking forward to "Hells Bells" and others! I'll burn the 2.0 on to my music server and phones and will enjoy them for years! I saw the "My fathers Place" show that was recorded live and look forward to it and the other live as mentioned previously.
I know we get way critical at times but its the music!!! Sound is subjective and evokes emotion. Don't suck the life out it!


Actually, some the best parts of the box is the live stuff. The band is smoking for both shows and neither disc sounds terrible. For me the absolute highlight of the box is the unfinished material for the never released 4th album. There were some fantastic ideas they were noodling with. I've never heard anything like a lot of it. They were experimenting with a bit of electronica mixed with jazz that's unique. Too bad it was never released, but some of the ideas were used with King Crimson.
The AQ is a subjective thing. If you don't mind the compressed sound, go for it. However, the box is aimed for completists and audiophiles who usually want the best sound. This is a missed opportunity in that regard. Especially for such a great band.
winoman likes this.
ti-triodes is offline  
post #68 of 73 Old 01-25-2018, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hollywood, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,324
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 441
To be honest, the best Steve Hackett is the live stuff too. There is no good Anthony Phillips.
winoman likes this.
sworth is offline  
post #69 of 73 Old 01-27-2018, 06:32 PM
Member
 
winoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near DC
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
To be honest, the best Steve Hackett is the live stuff too. There is no good Anthony Phillips.
Agreed - I have a number of live shows that are just fantastic....though still love Voyage of the Acolyte quite a bit (and most all of his stuff really)...quite an underrated player with such a great sound...
winoman is offline  
post #70 of 73 Old 02-02-2018, 08:14 AM
Member
 
Nalod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Actually, some the best parts of the box is the live stuff. The band is smoking for both shows and neither disc sounds terrible. For me the absolute highlight of the box is the unfinished material for the never released 4th album. There were some fantastic ideas they were noodling with. I've never heard anything like a lot of it. They were experimenting with a bit of electronica mixed with jazz that's unique. Too bad it was never released, but some of the ideas were used with King Crimson.
The AQ is a subjective thing. If you don't mind the compressed sound, go for it. However, the box is aimed for completists and audiophiles who usually want the best sound. This is a missed opportunity in that regard. Especially for such a great band.

"If you don't mind the compressed sound......." Oh my!


Got my box delivered last nite and few quick impressions: Listened to a few tracks (Hells bells, FiveG and the Sahara's) as wife wanted to sleep. Sometimes I go into the oppo and make sure everything is ok, twist some knobs, etc and make sure Im fully compliant. This time I just put the disc on and gave a quick listen and "Wow"!!! Is it compressed? I suppose so, its 40 year old music and it needed help! Am I "into it"? Im drawn into the music and hearing things I never heard before in the recording and it pulled me in.
I can go on about the mix and where Jakko was off, or where he hit....>But lets just say if you don't get "that feeling" after the Sahara's of Snow with the last bass note I suppose like many "Audiophiles" your listening to the "Sonic reproduction" and not the MUSIC! I have not gotten to the 2017 2.0 remix yet but the 5.1 is warmer than the original and the details are very interesting.
The box, like Bruford himself is an elegant package. The photos won't be framed nor will the audographed numbers certificate. I suppose the Discs and sleeves will be in my 5.1 disc draw and the box will be stored in the basement to be eventually lost.
Is it worth the money? Box is about $120. Its rare that I will sit down and listen to a 5.1disc. I will do so with this box so its a treat for me. The stereo remixes will replace the CD's that replaced LP's all so many years ago. They will exist on my server and on my phone/iPad. Since I still listen to this music it is a very good bargain for me. This music has aged well.
Nalod is offline  
post #71 of 73 Old 02-02-2018, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Moderator
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 22,461
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 13907
Which CDs got compressed compared to the originals/existing?

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
PooperScooper is offline  
post #72 of 73 Old 02-02-2018, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
"If you don't mind the compressed sound......." Oh my!


Got my box delivered last nite and few quick impressions: Listened to a few tracks (Hells bells, FiveG and the Sahara's) as wife wanted to sleep. Sometimes I go into the oppo and make sure everything is ok, twist some knobs, etc and make sure Im fully compliant. This time I just put the disc on and gave a quick listen and "Wow"!!! Is it compressed? I suppose so, its 40 year old music and it needed help! Am I "into it"? Im drawn into the music and hearing things I never heard before in the recording and it pulled me in.
I can go on about the mix and where Jakko was off, or where he hit....>But lets just say if you don't get "that feeling" after the Sahara's of Snow with the last bass note I suppose like many "Audiophiles" your listening to the "Sonic reproduction" and not the MUSIC! I have not gotten to the 2017 2.0 remix yet but the 5.1 is warmer than the original and the details are very interesting.
The box, like Bruford himself is an elegant package. The photos won't be framed nor will the audographed numbers certificate. I suppose the Discs and sleeves will be in my 5.1 disc draw and the box will be stored in the basement to be eventually lost.
Is it worth the money? Box is about $120. Its rare that I will sit down and listen to a 5.1disc. I will do so with this box so its a treat for me. The stereo remixes will replace the CD's that replaced LP's all so many years ago. They will exist on my server and on my phone/iPad. Since I still listen to this music it is a very good bargain for me. This music has aged well.


Glad you're happy but how do you know how I listen to music? I don't read charts or files or listen to samples on the internet to make a decision. I put the music on my system. And listen to it, not my system. Don't lump all audiophiles together.
I love the albums but the 5.1 is rubbish. Jakko ruined them unless the multi masters were in such bad shape this is all he could get out of them. But his track record so far makes me think he needs his hearing checked. All you have to do is listen to the CD's which sound much better.
The box is expensive, but don't you think is should at least sound better than what's out there already for the price?

It's fine we can disagree. In this case you say tomatoes and I say ... crushed tomatoes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Which CDs got compressed compared to the originals/existing?

I only have the vinyl so I can't compare any other digital version. The vinyl has the thin compressed sound that was so prevalent with 70's recordings. The CD's do improve on it somewhat. Maybe someone else can chime in with CD comparisons.
ti-triodes is offline  
post #73 of 73 Old 02-03-2018, 06:04 AM
Member
 
Nalod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I suppose Bruford’s ears are rubbish also?
If you don’t like it, thats fine.
The 5.1 remixes are fun and sound great.
I have to move forward as my rear speakers are not equal to my LCR. My MK system employs the CS29’s which are short towers with a mid and Tweeter on the top facing up, two mids on the sides and a 5” larger mid in the belly. The produce a great soundfield but not for discrete listening.
I suppose I can adjust the output, recalibrate my settings or just move to a chair forward.
What’s ever unsure trickery Jakko used to get this sound fuller works in this format on my system to my ears.
I am not an authority but me and my wife enjoyed the recordings.
I’m moving slowly thru the box.
Nalod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Surround Music Formats

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off