• 3 Post By andwhatnot
  • 3 Post By MarkyM

post #1 of 16 Old 04-29-2018, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 182
New Birdsong At Morning, "Signs and Wonders"

"Signs and Wonders will be available on birdsongatmorning.com, CDBaby, and Amazon, and comes as a two-disc CD/Blu-ray set, with the album in standard 44.1/16 bit stereo on the CD, and 96k/24 bit high-resolution mixes of vocal and instrumental versions, in stereo and 5.1 surround sound."

I already ordered, as several others have. I edited to reflect the name of the release.

Last edited by andwhatnot; 08-31-2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: name of release added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-27-2018, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I know several of you have pre-ordered this. I ordered mine directly from birdsongatmorning.com, and was notified it was shipped yesterday. Really looking forward to this.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-28-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Mine arrives tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-28-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Mine just came in the mail today! Can't wait to give it a spin.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K M7 side surround speakers - M&K B1600 Height speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs -
Marantz 8805 (soon) - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI (2nd amp) - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #5 of 16 Old 09-28-2018, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mine arrived a day early. What a special Friday treat!

Great music and mix! You'd be crazy not to add this to your surround library.
andwhatnot and JJHXBR like this.

post #6 of 16 Old 09-29-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 3355
I just ordered the Signs and Wonders CD/Blu-ray set from their site. I really enjoyed the A Slight Departure 5.1 mix and music so I'm looking forward to this one.

https://www.birdsongatmorning.com/st...ns-and-wonders

Bill
JJHXBR likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-29-2018, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mine arrived today. Gave it a listen. Love it! Those of you who ordered direct from Birdsong At Morning and care about such things, I am pretty sure Alan Williams himself wrote 'Thanks!' on the order. I received a signed poster from the entire band last year and he wrote 'thanks for the support'. Thanks looks identical between the two. Shoot he may have even filled out the shipping mailers! 'Waterfall' is a real rocker of a song. Surprises me because I think Greg Porter, the bassist, doesn't like such guitar dominated songs. Also 'Smiles of a Summer Night' will bring a smile to your face when watching the video. Well done. Looking forward to many more listens. And maybe I am late to the game, but there are notes on Blu-Ray functionality. Yellow on the remote selects stereo LPCM, Red 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, Green 5.1 LPCM, and Blue Instrumental Stereo LPCM. This is convenient. Perhaps other Blu-Ray audio discs are the same? If so, I missed that day at school.
weekendtoy and JJHXBR like this.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-29-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andwhatnot View Post
Mine arrived today. Gave it a listen. Love it! Those of you who ordered direct from Birdsong At Morning and care about such things, I am pretty sure Alan Williams himself wrote 'Thanks!' on the order. I received a signed poster from the entire band last year and he wrote 'thanks for the support'. Thanks looks identical between the two. Shoot he may have even filled out the shipping mailers! 'Waterfall' is a real rocker of a song. Surprises me because I think Greg Porter, the bassist, doesn't like such guitar dominated songs. Also 'Smiles of a Summer Night' will bring a smile to your face when watching the video. Well done. Looking forward to many more listens.
After listening to "Signs and Wonders" I was really impressed with the sound quality and production of this latest release to the point where I decided to contact them at there website. [email protected]
I wanted to show my support and tell the band how thrilled I was that they decided to put out this excellent album on Blu-Ray in 5.1 Hi-Res. I think we need to support independent artists who decide to embrace surround sound formats. Bands like this this maybe one of the few ways we'll have some NEW surround music to listen to.

To my surprise I got a very quick e-mail response that I would like to share with our members:

BIRDSONG AT MORNING

Jeff,

How wonderful to get your message! I'm so glad you are enjoying the new album - hope it continues to reward repeated listenings. Also really appreciate getting the word out to the AVS Forum. Audiophiles have been very supportive of both our 5.1 projects, so it's great to let them know about the new record.

And it is particularly gratifying to have you acknowledge the challenges of operating as an independent artist/label. Since the projects only result in further debt, it is truly a labor of love. But the reward comes from responses like yours.

Thanks for taking the time to write!

Alan

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K M7 side surround speakers - M&K B1600 Height speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs -
Marantz 8805 (soon) - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI (2nd amp) - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #9 of 16 Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What a great response!

Pretty sad that in this day and age a band/artist like this can't make money, and at best maybe hope to break even. Hopefully the word gets out about these guys and they end up selling way more then expected.

I gave this one a second listen tonight and it got better.
JJHXBR and Bill Mac like this.

post #10 of 16 Old 09-30-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very nice review of Signs and Wonders on the QQ forum here:http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...-2#post-390065

Mine arrived on Friday and my wife and I listened (and watched) Saturday morning with our coffee.

This is simply brilliant. The songs are what my ears want to hear - not too predictable, not too adventurous, but satisfyingly interesting, both musically and lyrically, and the arrangements are gorgeous and perfect.

The surround mix is appropriate for the music. The elements in the rears are generally strings and percussion and widen the sound stage. The mix has a very full and natural feel to it, almost as if 5.1 has always been the standard in the way that stereo has been for the past 50 years.

If you’ve ever listened to Birdsong At Morning you already know that the sonics are impeccable.

Every song is presented with a video as an integral part of the presentation. So much so that it’s as if the songs were not meant to be heard without being seen. The videos are every bit as interesting as the music and the quality is on par with the wonderful musical arrangements and sonics.

Lastly, I really like the way the blu ray is authored. Every song can be heard in 96/24 LPCM 5.1, stereo, or DTS-HD Master Audio while watching either the accompanying video or a still screen with the lyrics. The pop-up menu allows you to momentarily view the song credits at any time without interupting the song. Also, instrumental versions are also available in stereo and 5.1, with the same visuals (even the lyrics).

If and when a poll is available for this, it will be an easy 10 from me, based simply on the description of a 10 as “must have”.

post #11 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 06:55 AM

Liked: 49
Just ordered Signs and Wonders and A Slight Departure from their site. I haven't heard or heard of them before, but as others have said, I think it's important to support these bands that bother to put out a higher standard of sound.

I'll be back with my take on their music after a few spins
D
JJHXBR and Tornado Red like this.

Klipsch RB-51II (Mains) Klipsch RC-52II (Center) Klipsch RS-42II (Surrounds)
SVS SB12-NSD / Klipsch KSW-10 (Subs)
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080
Denon AVR-2310CI - Oppo UDP-203 - Roku 3
post #12 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Ack! I shouldn’t have clicked on this link. Now I have to get this.

How much is shipping if you order directly from them?
post #13 of 16 Old 10-07-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Ack! I shouldn’t have clicked on this link. Now I have to get this.

How much is shipping if you order directly from them?
I believe it's $21.99 shipped. Go for it!

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I believe it's $21.99 shipped. Go for it!

Bill
Thanks Bill. I wanted to order directly from them but you have to enter all your personal info before you find out the shipping cost. More moolah spent.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-21-2019, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Don't know if any of you have checked out any of their earlier releases. I have, and find it to be just as beautiful as their latest releases. Anyway, I sent an email to them today and inquired if Mr. Williams had considered a release of the earlier works in 5.1. Here is his response...."Thanks for the kind words. I am indeed considering remixing annals for surround. There is an issue with outdated file formats that has to be worked out, but tentatively shooting for 2021, the 10th anniversary.

Will absolutely let folks know as dreams get closer to reality..."
weekendtoy, Tornado Red and JJHXBR like this.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Wow! Listening/watching this now and I'm really enjoying it. Excellent surround mix, AQ & PQ.

This should be the model going forward for surround music releases. It generally is putting major label releases to shame. Well done!!!

LG OLED55C6P, Panasonic UB-820, Sony UBP-X800, Zidoo X9S, Denon AVR-X3400H, vintage Carver M1.0T amp, Axiom M60v3 Mains & VP100 Center, Original SVS 20-39pci Cylinder sub, Phase Tech Surrounds & 2 Polk RC60i Atmos. Desktop system: Fully restored (by me) vintage Marantz 2275 stereo receiver from 1976 driving a pair of Axiom M2v3's, BIC 10" Sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page