Post OPPO options - new players - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #61 of 96 Old 01-25-2019, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekert View Post
...Does anyone have experience with upgrades that are available, be it diy or send away like Modright etc. Kind regards.
Your question often crops up within the forums dedicated OPPO UDP-20x topics. See here: -

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...-s-thread.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...-s-thread.html

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 01-27-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 255
To update my own thread with some new options and my own path.

For folks looking for a good all-in-one UHD, BluRay, SACD, DVD-A, CD player and who use HDMI as the link to the processors, the newly announced Sony X800M2 ( Discussion thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...on-thread.html ) looks like a good option.
For those looking for analog outs, the step-up ES version, the UBP-X1100ES, should have those.

I had the X800 and it worked great for me, but recently sold it to do the following.

If you already have an older Oppo, I have a 103, then the legacy disc formats are already covered, so the big question is UHD playback. As an owner of a 1080p projector, I wanted to benefit from some of the HDR goodness as well as the Atmos audio on UHD discs I'm buying, so I tracked the discussion of the Panasonic BP-UB820 with great interest, and bought one. Now that I've been running it, I can say this is a huge upgrade on the video side. Playing UHD HDR titles and using the awesome tone mapping in the Panasonic, my 2013-vintage JVC 4810 projector (1080p in, plus faux-K display) now puts out an amazingly good image. While not the HDR one gets on an LCD panel, for an SDR projector, the HDR effect is very good.

I will likely pick up an X800M2 later this year as a backup for the Oppo audio capabilities and use it as the in a secondary media room system where I'm about to deploy a C965 OLED.
SteveC356 likes this.

Jonathan
post #63 of 96 Old 01-28-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 286
my 103 is still going strong for music playback. Hopefully it will last a bit longer. I am glad Sony is releasing these player as universal. the market for these type of players is a bit thin right now obviously since oppo left the game. Would hate to see the DVDA and SACD discs I have obtained become unplayable because of no player to be had
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 96 Old 01-29-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 681
I'm using an Oppo-95 for music playback. It's still going strong. I'm thinking of replacing it but wondering what to replace it with. I only need 2 channel analog out, those go to my headphone amp, hdmi goes to my anthem. I don't even have video hooked up.

For my set up the only players I'd consider are the Pioneer and the Sony x1000es. Both fit the bill in my system perfectly. I do know the DAC in the Pioneer, and I like the AKM dac in my Oppo 203. No knowledge of the DAC in the Sony X1000es and I've asked in that forum. (I passed on purchasing the 205, even though I was sent an email link to purchase one of the last lots. Instead I bought another 203, that I have in the closet.) The Pioneer is the leading contender among blu ray players.

Other options I'm exploring is just getting a dedicated CD/SACD player. Main contenders are the new Arcam SCD50. It seems to check all the boxes. It had a problem with missing the first couple of seconds of songs on disc playback, but that supposedly was fixed with a firmware update. Others in the running are the Marantz Ruby CD/SACD player (very expensive) or the Marantz CD8006. The 8006 doesn't do SACD, Marantz dropped that. I don't buy SACDs anymore, instead preferring the equivalent high rez download, when available. So going with the 8006, I'd probably send my 40 something SACDs to that ripping service and get the 2 channel DSD file, (I only do 2 channel), or I play them back on my 203 when I listen to one.

Decisions, decisions. Sometimes the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to just run with the 95 till it craps out, which hopefully won't be for a very long time. It should last a long time, the only time I play a disc is an SACD, everything else being media files (flac). The only thing I don't like about that 95 is it doesn't play back DSD files, and doesn't playback ALAC files, so all my iTunes rips have to be converted to flac via XLD. All the aforementioned options playback DSD from USB, except the Arcam. In my correspondence with parent Harmon I asked them how they can use a ESS9038 chip and not have DSD playback via USB so they tested DSD files from USB and they played fine, but for some reason they haven't updated their literature of yet and there are probably limitations on DSD sample rate.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 01-29-2019 at 05:35 AM.
post #65 of 96 Old 01-29-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 3513
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I'm using an Oppo-95 for music playback. It's still going strong. I'm thinking of replacing it but wondering what to replace it with. I only need 2 channel analog out, those go to my headphone amp, hdmi goes to my anthem. I don't even have video hooked up.

For my set up the only players I'd consider are the Pioneer and the Sony x1000es. Both fit the bill in my system perfectly. I do know the DAC in the Pioneer, and I like the AKM dac in my Oppo 203. No knowledge of the DAC in the Sony X1000es and I've asked in that forum. (I passed on purchasing the 205, even though I was sent an email link to purchase one of the last lots. Instead I bought another 203, that I have in the closet.) The Pioneer is the leading contender among blu ray players.

Other options I'm exploring is just getting a dedicated CD/SACD player. Main contenders are the new Arcam SCD50. It seems to check all the boxes. It had a problem with missing the first couple of seconds of songs on disc playback, but that supposedly was fixed with a firmware update. Others in the running are the Marantz Ruby CD/SACD player (very expensive) or the Marantz CD8006. The 8006 doesn't do SACD, Marantz dropped that. I don't buy SACDs anymore, instead preferring the equivalent high rez download, when available. So going with the 8006, I'd probably send my 40 something SACDs to that ripping service and get the 2 channel DSD file, (I only do 2 channel), or I play them back on my 203 when I listen to one.

Decisions, decisions. Sometimes the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to just run with the 95 till it craps out, which hopefully won't be for a very long time. It should last a long time, the only time I play a disc is an SACD, everything else being media files (flac). The only thing I don't like about that 95 is it doesn't play back DSD files, and doesn't playback ALAC files, so all my iTunes rips have to be converted to flac via XLD. All the aforementioned options playback DSD from USB, except the Arcam. In my correspondence with parent Harmon I asked them how they can use a ESS9038 chip and not have DSD playback via USB so they tested DSD files from USB and they played fine, but for some reason they haven't updated their literature of yet and there are probably limitations on DSD sample rate.
I'd suggest looking for a used 105/105D. I had a 105D before the 205 and it's an excellent player IMO. I've read a bit about the new Arcam CD/SACD player and it seems to have a few issues including cutting off the first few seconds of playback.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #66 of 96 Old 01-29-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I'd suggest looking for a used 105/105D. I had a 105D before the 205 and it's an excellent player IMO. I've read a bit about the new Arcam CD/SACD player and it seems to have a few issues including cutting off the first few seconds of playback.

Bill
I've looked in classifieds for used 105s. A bit steep still. Maybe as time runs on they'll come down a bit.

As far as the Arcam goes, the latest FW update supposedly fixed the first few seconds of playback being cut off. I find it more disconcerting that Arcam doesn't understand the specs of their player. They came out with it saying it played certain file types from USB (my typical way of listening to non SACD material.) When pressed why it couldn't play DSD they tested it and said it did via usb but not network, but not at all sample rates and the harmon rep said they should update the specs. They have yet to do that. All in all with spec inconsistencies and the few second cutoff, not a very smooth roll out of the player.

Edit: A cursory look at used 105s shows they are still selling a bit high. 900+ I'd go new and look for something else for that $

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 01-29-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #67 of 96 Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I've looked in classifieds for used 105s. A bit steep still. Maybe as time runs on they'll come down a bit.

As far as the Arcam goes, the latest FW update supposedly fixed the first few seconds of playback being cut off. I find it more disconcerting that Arcam doesn't understand the specs of their player. They came out with it saying it played certain file types from USB (my typical way of listening to non SACD material.) When pressed why it couldn't play DSD they tested it and said it did via usb but not network, but not at all sample rates and the harmon rep said they should update the specs. They have yet to do that. All in all with spec inconsistencies and the few second cutoff, not a very smooth roll out of the player.

Edit: A cursory look at used 105s shows they are still selling a bit high. 900+ I'd go new and look for something else for that $
I didn't realize the 105 was still selling for over $900. Maybe the prices will level off and drop a bit.

I wonder how the Arcam would compare to Oppo players as far as features and ease of use. I'm so familiar with Oppo players and their features that it'd be hard to switch brands. I bought a mint Sony 5400ES CD/SACD player from the original owner last year. I found the 5400ES had excellent sound with CD and SACD playback. There was a subtle overall improvement in SQ over the 105D. But the lack of basic features such as resume playback after stopping and a few other features led me to sell it. I felt that the subtle improvement in SQ was not worth having a player with a very limited feature set. Some might think that's crazy but the ease of use and feature set of a player is important to me.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

Last edited by Bill Mac; 01-29-2019 at 09:26 AM.
post #68 of 96 Old 01-29-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't realize the 105 was still selling for over $900. Maybe the prices will level off and drop a bit.

I wonder how the Arcam would compare to Oppo players as far as features and ease of use. I'm so familiar with Oppo players and their features that it'd be hard to switch brands. I bought a mint Sony 5400ES CD/SACD player from the original owner last year. I found the 5400ES had excellent sound with CD and SACD playback. There was a subtle overall improvement in SQ over the 105D. But the lack of basic features such as resume playback after stopping and a few other features led me to sell it. I felt that the subtle improvement in SQ was not worth having a player with a very limited feature set. Some might think that's crazy but the ease of use and feature set of a player is important to me.

Bill
Yea, I get the hard to switch brands, but at some point I'll have to. I don't use many of Oppo's feature set. I don't rip movies and stream and I don't stream music. Most of my CDs and all my purchased hi rez music is on a 256 gb SSD based USB stick. The only network feature I use is the ability to navigate from my iOS device. I can't even do that with the 95, I had to buy a cheap kindle fire and install the android one for the 95 (no iOS app). (The Fire is not a problem as the only other forum I frequent is a book reading one!) It's kinda clunky and at times gets the album song order wrong even though the songs start with 01,02,03, etc. If I cut the monitor on and start the album that way it gets the order correct. Sometimes I use the 203, which doesn't have those shortcomings. My headphone amp has two inputs, so that's not a problem. I'd just like a music only device that doesn't have the short comings the 95 has.

The Arcam has an iOS app that navigates USB and it will also control streaming services, which I don't use, but it seems fully functional from what I can tell. Very few user reviews out there now. I check the Steve Hoffman forums, I'm not a member but I've seen you there, and there is a thread, but still not much user feedback. So buying that is a leap of faith. The 8006 can navigate USB with a HEOS app, but I need to have my small SACD collection ripped, or just listen to those on my 203. I'd probably op for having them ripped, total cost for me about 200 bucks ($5 per). The flagship ruby player doesn't have an app for control, no streaming, no wi-fi, it's just built for pure music playback. Everything is upscaled to DSD. It does have a 3 line display so you can navigate an attached usb drive to the folder u want to play (all my folders (playlists) are albums). I generally put on a album and listen to it all the way through so that would work. I just have to get up!

Last edited by glangford; 01-29-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #69 of 96 Old 02-10-2019, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My BDP-95 crapped out and won’t play anything so I’m now on the search for a new player. I F’d up and had opportunity for a 205 on the last release and waited a day thinking about it and by the time I went to buy my link from Oppo had expired

Considering I’m just using HDMI to a Marrantz 8802 the DAC’s in whichever 4K player I end up with aren’t of significance correct? I have a large collection of DVD-A discs and have to have something that is compatible. Looks like the Sony may be my choice.

post #70 of 96 Old 02-10-2019, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post

Considering I’m just using HDMI to a Marrantz 8802 the DAC’s in whichever 4K player I end up with aren’t of significance correct? I have a large collection of DVD-A discs and have to have something that is compatible. Looks like the Sony may be my choice.
I had the X800 and also run an 8802A preamp, the combo is excellent. But do get the M2 version if you can wait.

Tip: set the X800 to output PCM from SACD so you don't incur the -10dB offset on the .1 channel.
See several responses +/- around this post in the 8802A thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57438634

Jonathan
post #71 of 96 Old 02-10-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 3190
Quote:
My BDP-95 crapped out and won’t play anything so I’m now on the search for a new player. I F’d up and had opportunity for a 205 on the last release and waited a day thinking about it and by the time I went to buy my link from Oppo had expired

Why not send it back to Oppo to see if they could fix it?

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #72 of 96 Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I totally agree with smurraybhm in that you should send your 95 back to Oppo for repairs. A member over at the Steve Hoffman forum had a similar issue with his 103 (will not play any discs). He's sending it back to Oppo and they said it would be a flat fee of $99 to repair it with return shipping included. All you need to do is pay for the shipping to Oppo. That's an excellent price to have a player repaired without a doubt. Oppo has very fast turn around times with a majority of that time in shipping back and forth.

Even if you decide to get the Sony you can then sell the 95 once it's back from Oppo if you decide not to keep it. It's all good !

post #73 of 96 Old 02-10-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I will try to send back. Thanks guys.
Bill Mac likes this.

post #74 of 96 Old 02-10-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
If anyone is interested in the Sony x1000es and doesn’t mind refurbs, check eBay. Priced less than a new x800.
post #75 of 96 Old 02-10-2019, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
I have a large collection of DVD-A discs and have to have something that is compatible. Looks like the Sony may be my choice.
A SONY will do DVD-A?
(forgive me, didn't read through the thread)

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #76 of 96 Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
A SONY will do DVD-A?
Sony has included DVD-A playback in several recent players. Not sure of the model numbers but this did happen much to the surprise of many including myself. It's interesting that Sony did this now with the current decline of physical media sales. One would have thought Sony would have done this years ago to compete with universal manufactures like Oppo, Cambridge Audio, Pioneer, Denon and Marantz.

Bill

post #77 of 96 Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Sony has included DVD-A playback in several recent players. Not sure of the model numbers but this did happen much to the surprise of many including myself. It's interesting that Sony did this now with the current decline of physical media sales. One would have thought Sony would have done this years ago to compete with universal manufactures like Oppo, Cambridge Audio, Pioneer, Denon and Marantz.

Bill

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #78 of 96 Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world
Indeed it is.

I'll see if I can find a list of the Sony players that support both SACD and DVD-A...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
post #79 of 96 Old 02-12-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A SONY will do DVD-A?
Here's a new Sony player that supports SACD and DVD-A disc playback.

Link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...on-thread.html

post #80 of 96 Old 02-19-2019, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Here's a new Sony player that supports SACD and DVD-A disc playback.

Link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...on-thread.html
I think this one, the original sony 800 and the x1000es is the list.

post #81 of 96 Old 02-25-2019, 03:08 PM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 52
It would be nice if someone would create a table showing the major BR players, including their capabilities.
post #82 of 96 Old 02-25-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:

Bill
Makes sense though given that DVD-A is dead in the water and so there's no longer a SACD vs DVD-A format war, and adding DVD-A compatibility would increase the market for a universal audio player.
Bill Mac and SteveC356 like this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #83 of 96 Old 03-02-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have viewed the oppo alternative player thread with some mention of playing one of the new Sony 800 or 1000 players with DSD out via the HDMI to the receivers. I do see that my Marantz SR7012 can: "DSD (2.8/5.6MHz), FLAC, ALAC and WAV support". My previous AVR was a Sony DA5ES with 2 sets of multichannel inputs in which I used my Sony 222ES for SACD and a cheap Pioneer DV-578A for DVD-Audio. I still have quite a bit of content in both formats. I have recently upgraded my upstairs home theater with new LCR and an additional sub as well as the 7012 avr. I chose the Marantz over the Denon based on the multichannel input set. Well, since I only had one set of inputs, I went with the SACD player and was in heaven again with the sound. Recently, the 222ES seems to be having laser issues and difficulty reading some discs, mostly regular CD and playing almost all of my SACD's.
Here is my dilemma:
1) Buy a new cheaper Sony universal player and connect via HDMI to 7012 (I know I can have DSD via HDMI but I cannot find any mention of DVD-Audio).
2) Buy an insanely $$$ dual format player and utilize 2 and multichannel inputs on 7012.
3) Buy a nice used dual format player (oppos are still to high for me since I don't care about any video capabilities).
4) Screw buying anything, stream a hi-res source via Tidal or other similar service.
I appreciate any insight as I am still learning really enjoying my upgrades with my older music.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2801.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	2533238  
post #84 of 96 Old 03-02-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep amonte View Post
I have viewed the oppo alternative player thread with some mention of playing one of the new Sony 800 or 1000 players with DSD out via the HDMI to the receivers. I do see that my Marantz SR7012 can: "DSD (2.8/5.6MHz), FLAC, ALAC and WAV support". My previous AVR was a Sony DA5ES with 2 sets of multichannel inputs in which I used my Sony 222ES for SACD and a cheap Pioneer DV-578A for DVD-Audio. I still have quite a bit of content in both formats. I have recently upgraded my upstairs home theater with new LCR and an additional sub as well as the 7012 avr. I chose the Marantz over the Denon based on the multichannel input set. Well, since I only had one set of inputs, I went with the SACD player and was in heaven again with the sound. Recently, the 222ES seems to be having laser issues and difficulty reading some discs, mostly regular CD and playing almost all of my SACD's.
Here is my dilemma:
1) Buy a new cheaper Sony universal player and connect via HDMI to 7012 (I know I can have DSD via HDMI but I cannot find any mention of DVD-Audio).
DVD-A has to be translated into LPCM in the disc player. That'll happen automatically.
With D&M equipment, DSD gets translated into LPCM in the receiver. It isn't fed directly to the DACs as some other manufacturers supposedly do.
This does have the advantage that Audyssey and bass management is available.
Quote:
2) Buy an insanely $$$ dual format player and utilize 2 and multichannel inputs on 7012.
That'll introduce an additional AtoD conversion in the receiver for the stereo input (there's no analog bypass for the 2.0 analog inputs). Use of the multichannel analog input provides direct analog connections to the preamps but prevents the use of Audyssey and bass managment.
Quote:
3) Buy a nice used dual format player (oppos are still to high for me since I don't care about any video capabilities).
See my comments above.
Quote:
4) Screw buying anything, stream a hi-res source via Tidal or other similar service.
That introduces an on-going expense to listen to music you've already purchased on disc.
Quote:
I appreciate any insight as I am still learning really enjoying my upgrades with my older music.
Unfortunately, there's no one good answer. We have to make do with what's available, choosing whatever least violates our sensibilities.
keep amonte likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #85 of 96 Old 03-02-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
DVD-A has to be translated into LPCM in the disc player. That'll happen automatically.
With D&M equipment, DSD gets translated into LPCM in the receiver. It isn't fed directly to the DACs as some other manufacturers supposedly do.
This does have the advantage that Audyssey and bass management is available.

That'll introduce an additional AtoD conversion in the receiver for the stereo input (there's no analog bypass for the 2.0 analog inputs). Use of the multichannel analog input provides direct analog connections to the preamps but prevents the use of Audyssey and bass management.

See my comments above.

Seden,

I guess I'm confused here. If I connect the 5.1 analog inputs to my 7012 5.1 analog inputs, doesn't the player make the conversion and just pass the signal into the avr, regardless of using direct or pure direct? Are you saying the 7012 cannot pass a 2 channel analog signal. it must covert that?
Sorry if I'm not grasping this correctly. I do appreciate your time.
post #86 of 96 Old 03-02-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Seden,

I guess I'm confused here.
Sorry, I don't see any confusion in your questions.
Quote:
If I connect the 5.1 analog inputs to my 7012 5.1 analog inputs, doesn't the player make the conversion and just pass the signal into the avr, regardless of using direct or pure direct?
That is correct. You are describing what happens when you use D&M multichannel analog inputs: they bypass the receiver's ADCs and all of the receiver's digital processing.
Quote:
Are you saying the 7012 cannot pass a 2 channel analog signal. it must covert that?
That is correct. The stereo (2.0) analog inputs are always digitized. Direct and Pure Direct disable signal processing (Audyssey, tone controls, bass management, etc.), but don't provide an analog bypass.
Quote:
Sorry if I'm not grasping this correctly. I do appreciate your time.
You are grasping it correctly.

Selden

post #87 of 96 Old 03-02-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Sorry, I don't see any confusion in your questions.

That is correct. You are describing what happens when you use D&M multichannel analog inputs: they bypass the receiver's ADCs and all of the receiver's digital processing.

That is correct. The stereo (2.0) analog inputs are always digitized. Direct and Pure Direct disable signal processing (Audyssey, tone controls, bass management, etc.), but don't provide an analog bypass.

You are grasping it correctly.
That's what is hard for me to grasp. If I leave the 5.1 analog connections as the only audio out from my SACD player into the 7.1 analog to my avr and the multichannel out from my SACD player outputs pure analog signal, why would the 2 channel analog convert to digital on the Marantz avr side? I have the output option on my SACD player to either decode 2 channel or multichannel so I would think that the player sending out analog, regardless of 2 or multichannel would just pass the signal to the avr and play analog out.
post #88 of 96 Old 03-02-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
It would be nice if someone would create a table showing the major BR players, including their capabilities.
Easier said than done
post #89 of 96 Old 03-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
That's what is hard for me to grasp. If I leave the 5.1 analog connections as the only audio out from my SACD player into the 7.1 analog to my avr and the multichannel out from my SACD player outputs pure analog signal, why would the 2 channel analog convert to digital on the Marantz avr side? I have the output option on my SACD player to either decode 2 channel or multichannel so I would think that the player sending out analog, regardless of 2 or multichannel would just pass the signal to the avr and play analog out.
The AVR has several stereo analog inputs. They all are electrically separate from its single multichannel analog input. Those separate stereo inputs are the inputs I've been writing about. The AVR has an internal stereo ADC. When you select one of the AVR's stereo analog inputs (e.g. using the front panel knob or the remote), that ADC is connected to the selected stereo input.

If the disc player has a stereo analog output which you have connected to the selected stereo analog input, its signal is digitized using the AVR's stereo ADC. That digitized signal can then be processed by the AVR's DSP.

If the disc player has a multichannel analog output which you have connected to the AVR's multichannel analog input (not one of the stereo inputs), those analog signals are connected to the AVR's analog preamps.

Does this help?

Selden

post #90 of 96 Old 03-02-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
You could be that "someone" .

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page