Post OPPO options - new players - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1 of 96 Old 09-06-2018, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Post OPPO options - new players

Now that the reality of the loss of the OPPO players as the preferred option has sunk in and the market has begun to react, I figured we could use a thread to track all the current and upcoming options for physical media playback.

Ideally, new players will continue the multi-format support that Oppo established as a standard and will handle all audio formats CD, DVD-A, SACD (2ch & 5.1), BD-A, as well as the current video formats DVD, BluRay, BluRay-HD4K. The later two are important as those seem to be the carriers of choice for Atmos immersive audio mixes.

While handling of the above physical media is the primary duty of any new player, most have also been adding a ton of streaming as well as local (USB or DLNA) content playback (both audio-only and A/V). So ideally the products have at least multichannel DLNA rendering capabilities.

This thread was triggered by my thoughts about what's next after my Oppo 103, and the fact that there is a lot of news coming out of the fall trade shows (IFA/CEDIA).

So for starters, here is a piece discussing the new Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 multi-format player just announced at IFA: https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...blu-ray-player

This one looks like a contender.

What other units both current and announced ar worthy options of 103/203 105/205 replacements?
Matt2026 likes this.

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 09-06-2018, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have been researching the same thing as I have (2) Oppo 103's and was not able to get a 203 at the end of the run. I would want something of the quality of the Oppo product and the Elite you reference really looks good at first glance. What I had found available now that seemed to touch all the bases was the Sony 1000es linked below. It seems to play all the disc formats which is really important to me as I have a large collection of SACD and DVD-A and does streaming as well. The streaming is not an issue for me as my Z9D can handle that. Hopefully we can get some more options after the show season wraps up. Of course the Sony X800 will also play everything but I don't think it is anywhere near the level of the Oppo players. Sure going to miss Oppo.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...rs/ubp-x1000es
post #3 of 96 Old 09-06-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 877
If you're a multi-channel analogue audio lover, sadly both the Pioneer and the Sony only offer 2 channel analogue audio outputs

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 96 Old 09-07-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
There are no universal players that can replace the OPPO’s. The Pioneer comes the closest but until it’s released no one knows how close.
The Sony 1000es sounds great and plays back all disc types but is hampered by a crappy remote (I have one). Also, stereo analogs only.
The Panasonic UB820 is pretty much a video player with no SACD/DVD-A playback, crappy file handling and the usual mediocre Panny remote.
The Panasonic UB9000 is a totally wasted opportunity. I don’t know what they were thinking when they decided to take on the OPPO 205, but they weren’t thinking with their brains.
The Cambridge Audio CXUHD comes the closest in functionality, but no analog outs.

Personally, I’d look for a used OPPO as an analog surround player. The 105 or 95 are both exceptional if you don’t need 4k. Even so, it’s worth grabbing one and a cheap 4k player. With HDMI 2.1, 12 bit TV’s (and 8K) coming, there are many changes coming in UHD very soon.
post #5 of 96 Old 09-07-2018, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Subscribed.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #6 of 96 Old 09-09-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys, that Sony ES looks to be the ES version of the UX800 (which I have, mostly to get at the Atmos soundtracks of UHD discs), so better construction and warranty, but similar (digital) features.

Ti-triodes, agree that on the UHD front, we'll be seeing a lot of evolution over the coming two years. I hope at least one of the vendors continues to support all legacy disc formats, it's not like there's any effort or added costs (unless SACD has special requirements) at this stage of the game. The biggest downside I'd see as a vendor would be added complexity in UI, documentation and testing efforts.

BTW- I'm an all digital setup as far as sources so go, so more interested in the quality and capability of the player, I let my preamp worry about D/A.
So the one thing from the 205 I liked was the jitter reduction scheme on the HDMI link that it had over the 203, the rest was not of interest to me. Kind of hoping Oppo sells that IP to someone else, it is pretty slick tech.
ti-triodes likes this.

Jonathan
post #7 of 96 Old 09-09-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot to mention another player. Word is Pioneer will also release the LX700 or 800 which possibly will include multichannel analogs. With the pricing of the LX500 at $1100, who knows what an upgraded model will go for. I’m sure it will be more than the OPPO 205 @ $1299.
post #8 of 96 Old 09-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
Thanks guys, that Sony ES looks to be the ES version of the UX800 (which I have, mostly to get at the Atmos soundtracks of UHD discs), so better construction and warranty, but similar (digital) features.

Ti-triodes, agree that on the UHD front, we'll be seeing a lot of evolution over the coming two years. I hope at least one of the vendors continues to support all legacy disc formats, it's not like there's any effort or added costs (unless SACD has special requirements) at this stage of the game. The biggest downside I'd see as a vendor would be added complexity in UI, documentation and testing efforts.

BTW- I'm an all digital setup as far as sources so go, so more interested in the quality and capability of the player, I let my preamp worry about D/A.

So the one thing from the 205 I liked was the jitter reduction scheme on the HDMI link that it had over the 203, the rest was not of interest to me. Kind of hoping Oppo sells that IP to someone else, it is pretty slick tech.

How does jitter manifest itself as I don’t think I’ve ever come across it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #9 of 96 Old 09-09-2018, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post

With regard to the oppo 205 hdmi jitter comment, what little I have read about it (on OPPO's site, some comments on the 203 /205 threads, and elsewhere), makes me think there isn't likely to be a discernable difference between the 203 and 205 as far as playing movies goes.
Mark

System
Spoiler!
post #10 of 96 Old 09-10-2018, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
I forgot to mention another player. Word is Pioneer will also release the LX700 or 800 which possibly will include multichannel analogs. With the pricing of the LX500 at $1100, who knows what an upgraded model will go for. I’m sure it will be more than the OPPO 205 @ $1299.
Sadly, the Pioneer UDP-LX800 offers 2 channel analogue outputs only

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
post #11 of 96 Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post

Jitter is a error or deviation in timing from the original source... having a great clock helps.
In as far as how it manifests itself... it adds a measure of "Granularity" to the sound image. Some might say distortion.

You can't just listen to your system and say "I have jitter issues" (unless your system is really bad), you need a baseline of experience of being able to hear a piece with less jitter to say "I can hear the difference". Jitter being audible can be very minuscule in modern electronics, but it does exist.
Airsculpture likes this.

Last edited by Schubeedoobee; 09-10-2018 at 01:33 PM.
post #12 of 96 Old 09-10-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 549
The 203 must've been really under-priced and/or unique product, if there are no players currently available that's able to offer its entire feature-set.

If/when I need to replace mine, my absolute minimum requirements are:
  • Multi-channel analog outputs w/basic audio processing
  • Option for all-region blu-ray playback
  • DV-compatible
  • Robust media playback capabilities via SMB/network.

Are there any players available now supports all of the above?
post #13 of 96 Old 09-10-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
The 203 must've been really under-priced and/or unique product, if there are no players currently available that's able to offer its entire feature-set.

If/when I need to replace mine, my absolute minimum requirements are:
  • Multi-channel analog outputs w/basic audio processing
  • Option for all-region blu-ray playback
  • DV-compatible
  • Robust media playback capabilities via SMB/network.

Are there any players available now supports all of the above?
Don't forget that the OPPO's UDP-20x range also offer a rear HDMI input. And an HDMI ARC function (which means you can send digital stereo/multi-channel audio from your TV to the OPPO and it will transcode it to the analogue audio outputs).

post #14 of 96 Old 09-10-2018, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Sadly, the Pioneer UDP-LX800 offers 2 channel analogue outputs only
According to this site, it will have 7.1 analogs. It will probably be 2x the price of the LX500 though.

https://translate.google.com/transla...ra-hd-blu-ray/
post #15 of 96 Old 09-10-2018, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Using analog 5.1 out is even more niche then playing hi-res, yet a lot of people seem to be hung up on this one feature. Having used my Oppo 105 and the analog outs, I much prefer using the 203 and HDMI. Unless you have a well set up system and excellent room treatments, you are going to need room correction. Plus all the additional listening features of an AVR and the ability to play next generation AMTOS renders the 5.1 outs obsolete.

All IMO of course.
JonFo, thehun, mcallister and 3 others like this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #16 of 96 Old 09-10-2018, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 3512
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Using analog 5.1 out is even more niche then playing hi-res, yet a lot of people seem to be hung up on this one feature. Having used my Oppo 105 and the analog outs, I much prefer using the 203 and HDMI. Unless you have a well set up system and excellent room treatments, you are going to need room correction. Plus all the additional listening features of an AVR and the ability to play next generation AMTOS renders the 5.1 outs obsolete.

All IMO of course.
I agree 100%!

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #17 of 96 Old 09-11-2018, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 180
still...

Quote:

All IMO of course.

A few of us have the requisite room, system, analog BM and DSP treatment for the sub which may favor 5.1 analog - especially for SACD. None of this precludes having an AVR capable of room correction and Atmos.

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95, LG 55" oled C7
post #18 of 96 Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

All IMO of course.
For me, I'm primarily a music listener who got fed-up with having a large, heavy, energy sucking and ugly looking AVR dominating my A/V set-up. Now all that's on-show is my OPPO and a stereo Audiolab amplifier. My power amps (for surround sound) are hidden out of view.

That being said, much as I'd like to enjoy the "spatial audio experience", I don't want the obligatory massive AVR that it requires. Hopefully one day somebody will manufacture an dedicated 6 channel amplifier for decoding spatial audio only (with wireless speaker capability), along with an HDMI loop-through so that people can keep their existing AVR's

We can dream...

post #19 of 96 Old 09-13-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
According to this site, it will have 7.1 analogs. It will probably be 2x the price of the LX500 though.

https://translate.google.com/transla...ra-hd-blu-ray/
Not according to its 'User Manual': https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com...180808_web.pdf
ti-triodes likes this.

post #20 of 96 Old 09-13-2018, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 3512
Quote:
Not according to its 'User Manual': https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com...180808_web.pdf
Not surprised that the LX800 does not have a 7.1 analog output. Oppo was probably one of the last if not the last company to produce players with a 7.1 analog output. It's becoming a feature that very few now use with not many AVR/prepros having a 7.1 analog input to utilize it. Great to see there is a balanced stereo output. One thing that is a glaring omission is digital inputs like the Oppo 205 has. I can't believe in this day and age of streaming digital music from servers or hard drives that Pioneer would not have that feature on it's flagship player. No HDMI input either.

Bill
SeeMoreDigital likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #21 of 96 Old 09-13-2018, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Irony of ironies, today I received an email from Oppo regarding my slot to order one of the last 205 in the shipment that just arrived. Price: $1,299

At that price, I'm going to pass, I can buy multiple other units (some of which I've already done) to meet my needs.

Based on this thread, there is a small niche of 5.1 analog out / use it as a preamp people, so I'll let one of them snag it.

At $500 the 103 and then the 203 were outstanding values. Beyond that point, one must really value the extras the 20x line brought.
ciao.carlos and Matt2026 like this.

Jonathan
post #22 of 96 Old 09-13-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Irony of ironies, today I received an email from Oppo regarding my slot to order one of the last 205 in the shipment that just arrived. Price: $1,299

At that price, I'm going to pass, I can buy multiple other units (some of which I've already done) to meet my needs.

Based on this thread, there is a small niche of 5.1 analog out / use it as a preamp people, so I'll let one of them snag it.

At $500 the 103 and then the 203 were outstanding values. Beyond that point, one must really value the extras the 20x line brought.
The 205 combines a high quality UHD player with a multichannel DAC. If you were to get the same functionality, you would have to purchase the 203 + an exaSound e38. The e38 alone is $3,849.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #23 of 96 Old 09-13-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think you'll end up regretting that decision JonFo!

If I hadn't had to fix my roof I'd have purchased the UDP-205 instead of the (excellent) UDP-203
CygnusX2112 likes this.

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 09-13-2018 at 04:37 PM.
post #24 of 96 Old 09-13-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Not surprised that the LX800 does not have a 7.1 analog output. Oppo was probably one of the last if not the last company to produce players with a 7.1 analog output. It's becoming a feature that very few now use with not many AVR/prepros having a 7.1 analog input to utilize it. Great to see there is a balanced stereo output. One thing that is a glaring omission is digital inputs like the Oppo 205 has. I can't believe in this day and age of streaming digital music from servers or hard drives that Pioneer would not have that feature on it's flagship player. No HDMI input either.

Bill
Agreed with all your points, but both of the new Pannies have 7.1 analogs. Unfortunately you can’t do much with them. The 205 is looking like a bargain right about now.
post #25 of 96 Old 09-13-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice find. Did you also find the manual for the LX500? Every search I try turns up nothing.
post #26 of 96 Old 09-13-2018, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2852
Quote:
Nice find. Did you also find the manual for the LX500? Every search I try turns up nothing.
https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com...180703_web.pdf

It was the third entry in Google's response to my search for
pioneer lx500 manual

However, since Google tends to look for things differently for different people, YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_001_13092018_201613.png
Views:	27
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	2455024  

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #27 of 96 Old 09-14-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 237
For people who mainly playback digital files via a network, there are several players available: Dune and DVDFab Movie Server. These players handle all the common digital files, FLAC, Multi-channel FLAC, WAV, APE, LPCM, AAC, MP3 but will also do BDA and DVD ISO files which is a big bonus. This could be a solution those who have their audio and video collections stored on a NAS, Music server or HTPC and don't have a custom Oppo.

Dune HD Duo 4K features: 4K playback, ESS Sabre32 DAC, audiophile quality analogue out via its RCA and balanced XLR connectors, Full menu BDA and DVD ISO playback, SACD and DSD.
http://dune-hd.com/ind/products/full...dia_players/50

https://www.amazon.com/Dune-HD-Duo-B...ds=Dune+player

http://www.digitalreviews.net/review...-reviewed.html

DVDFab Movie Server: https://www.dvdfab.cn/movie-server.htm

https://www.avforums.com/review/dvdf...r-review.14692

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K 4X M7 surround speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs
Processor - Marantz 8805 - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI - Oppo BDP-103+203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - QNAP TR-004 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #28 of 96 Old 09-14-2018, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com...180703_web.pdf

It was the third entry in Google's response to my search for
pioneer lx500 manual

However, since Google tends to look for things differently for different people, YMMV.

Thanks. Good point about Google. Search on my Mac still turns up nothing.
post #29 of 96 Old 09-18-2018, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 180
it's a shame...

There is some serious price gouging going on, not only with Oppo 205s and 203s but on 105s too. Personally I'm not too hot on a udp as I think - with the advent of eARC - I'll be getting most if not all of my movies through the TV in two or three years, but I'd like to pick up an extra player to backstop my bdp-95. I'd gladly pay $3000 for a new premium player that would support my large SACD collection without conversion to PCM, but I'm also mindful that as room correction software improves it is becoming less of an issue.

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95, LG 55" oled C7
post #30 of 96 Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi! New member here in the forums.

Question on Oppo and the attraction to its analogue multi-channel out feature.

I too missed the boat on the Oppo units and to make it worse, I'm just now getting into multi-channel sound. Currently I'm looking for a good disc player to read SACDs and blu-ray audio discs.

I have a McIntosh MX121 preamp-procesor which I think is a very good sounding unit (it sounds excellent to my ears anyway -I use it in pure direct mode-no room correction). Can someone explain what the drawback is in using a good BD player like the Pioneer to read an SACD disc, send the signal via HDMI to my MAC pre-amp processor, and have IT decode the signal to analogue multi-channel sound out to my amps? Does HDMI-out somehow degrade the signal before it is processed by a preamp-processor? If you use Bitstream out on a Blu-ray player, isn't it just a digital signal anyway? How can a digital signal be degraded by HDMI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page