AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Surround Music Formats (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/)
-   -   Tangerine Dream Box set, mixed by Steven Wilson (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/3023680-tangerine-dream-box-set-mixed-steven-wilson.html)

thehun 11-08-2018 09:49 PM

Tangerine Dream Box set, mixed by Steven Wilson

In a recent interview of Steven Wilson by "SDE" mentions that he did finish a "huge" box set surround remix recently of German electric band Tangerine Dream, nothing further but those of us who likes this band [especially the early years] this is some exciting news indeed.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/in...g-to-the-bone/

PooperScooper 11-10-2018 08:41 AM

Interesting! I just got finished ripping "The Pink Years Albums 1970-1973"

sworth 08-24-2019 06:52 PM

This box is down to 57 euro at Amazon Italy right now. 18 discs, two of which are blu-rays. I have the Virgin years CDs and wasn't going to buy it, but that price makes it worth it for the extras alone.

JJHXBR 08-27-2019 05:45 PM

The Blu-Rays are very well produced as you can imagine with Steven Wilson at the controls. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 24/96 off the Blu-Ray's sounds very good.

sworth 09-05-2019 11:02 PM

My copy at the bargain price has shipped. Looking forward to this. Phaedra is a good album. It's odd, but some of the best multichannel music I've gotten is electronic music that I don't care a great deal about in stereo. The Tomita, Jarre and Kraftwerk sets have been standouts. Looking forward to the same with TD. I think electronic music allows a flexibility in mixing that isn't always there in traditional rock.

thehun 09-07-2019 05:31 AM

link?

sworth 09-07-2019 12:23 PM

Amazon Italy. But it's back up to 124 euros now

JJHXBR 09-07-2019 12:36 PM

thehun 09-08-2019 02:35 AM

oh I was under the impression that the entire collection is 5.1 not just 3 albums. oh well it's sold out anyway. Thanks for the links though.

sworth 09-19-2019 08:22 PM

I just received the set in the mail from Italy. The packaging is nice... the CDs are housed in an LP sized gatefold album that has a plain black cover that shows some banding from the manufacturing process, but other than that it is pretty luxurious. I wasn't aware how much unreleased material there is on this- it looks like almost half of it. Phaedra outtakes (mixed by Wilson) take up two full CDs. There are several complete live concerts, an entire album that was never released and lots of outtakes and rare singles. I haven't listened yet, but r's going to take awhile with 18 discs, two of which are blu-rays with 5.1 mixes of three albums (the unreleased album would have been a 2 record set) and a two extended videos of the band in concert. Well worth the price I paid. Not sure why this dropped so low, but I'm glad I got in on it.

Edit: Just finished ripping the set and the 16 CDs come out to 15 hours 45 minutes.

sworth 09-21-2019 01:09 AM

Today I played some of the unreleased live recordings. There are at least five CDs of li, and it's all good. There is just a bit of applause at the beginning and end. No audience sound under the music at all. Tangerine Dream didn't perform "hits" at the concerts at this time. They improvised extended jams that were created on the spot. They did the same thing basically for their studio albums, so these live performances are essentially new Tangerine Dream albums.

Tonight I played the multichannel blu-ray of Ricochet. This album was recorded live at a concert at Coventry Cathedral, and there is a lengthy video clip of them performing that is fascinating. The imagery is psychedelic and advanced for the time. I think it uses the same video synthesizer that Frank Zappa used in 200 Motels. I've never seen anything quite like it. The multichannel mix on the album is great, with tremendous dynamic range... be careful setting levels at the beginning of the record... and pristine sound quality. Since Tangerine Dream was all electronic and all plugged into separate tracks, there was a great deal of flexibility for Steven Wilson to work with. He definitely took advantage of it. There are a lot of surprises in the mix. For the first five or ten minutes, the rear left speaker is just used for light fill, but all of a sudden it explodes with strange sounds. Then things start flying around the room. Quite a bit of immersiveness too. The mix doesn't hug the walls at all. In a couple of points there are sounds placed in the middle of the room, diagonal across it and linking the center channel to the rears.

There's a documentary film with lots of interviews with the band members talking about the way they create. Very interesting stuff. At the time it was made, people were still trying to figure out where electronic music belonged... was it rock music or classical? How did audiences relate to it differently at live shows than they did with pop bands? At one point they put the band members in a room with a bunch of liquor bottles and several pompous rock critics, and you can see that they think the critics are completely full of it. Some funny stuff and it gives an interesting glimpse at the personalities of the guys who made the music.

This set is definitely worth the full price. The fact that I got it for $75 shipped is an incredible bargain. I am very glad I got it. I plan to listen to the other blu-ray soon. It has quite a bit of surround music on it.

JJHXBR 09-21-2019 12:42 PM

I've only played the two Blu-rays "Ricochet" and 'Phaedra" and found both of them very well done. I'm glad you found the surround mix enjoyable and glad to see we're on the same page as far as the sound quality and production value goes! I really enjoyed reading your detailed assessment of "Ricochet" and hope you find "Phaedra' to your liking as well. :)

sworth 09-21-2019 04:30 PM

The video of the Ricochet concert is great. In fact, all the live material on here is great.

sworth 09-24-2019 05:48 PM

I listened to the multichannel mix of Phaedra over the weekend. It is REALLY immersive... particularly the title song. It has sound objects placed all over within the room. I bet this mix gets criticized by the same people who thought Sgt Pepper sounded flat, because it relies a lot on the playback system being able to create a phantom center between the fronts and rears. The object placement is amazing though. Things are in the middle of the room at the same time as other things are panning right to left in the rear. Hard to describe in words, but this is the most sophisticated multichannel mix I've ever heard.

thehun 09-25-2019 11:10 AM

Steven uses an ITU set up. He was always very successful to create holographic images around the room without the aid of object based mixing. yes monopole speakers all around required with careful placing though to fully realizing his intent.

sworth 09-26-2019 12:23 AM

Does anyone really use dipole?