• 1 Post By kokishin

post #1 of 12 Old 11-21-2018, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sherwood Newcastle SD-871

Unsure if this would be the correct place to post this question but here goes:

As someone who was saddened by Oppo’s decision to exit the multi format bluray player market, I decided to awaken my old Sherwood SD-871 multi format DVD player from several years of slumber for DVD viewing to conserve life on my Oppo BPD-103D player. The Sherwood player still works and also does SACD and DVD Audio. It has an HDMI output which I believe is version 1.1. According to the owner’s manual, it should output DVD Audio through the HDMI out as multi channel PCM the same as the Oppo. While it does read the DVD Audio version and outputs the video, my Integra does not get an audio input signal. The HDMI is the only connection I have made to the processor. I don’t wish to connect the 5.1 analog outputs since it defeats Audussey speaker calibration. The Oppo is connected to the Blu-ray/DVD input via split HDMI connection, 1 directly to the TV and 2 to the processor and plays DVD Audio via HDMI as expected. I have tried every setting adjustment on the Sherwood and Integra that I can find but still can’t get DVD Audio output. It does however decode Dolby Digital and DTS through the HDMI and will also play the DVD Video portion of DVD Audio discs. Is there someone out there maybe still rocking one of these old players or possibly remembers how to get DVD Audio via HDMI on the old Sherwood? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-21-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireprix View Post
Unsure if this would be the correct place to post this question but here goes:

As someone who was saddened by Oppo’s decision to exit the multi format bluray player market, I decided to awaken my old Sherwood SD-871 multi format DVD player from several years of slumber for DVD viewing to conserve life on my Oppo BPD-103D player. The Sherwood player still works and also does SACD and DVD Audio. It has an HDMI output which I believe is version 1.1. According to the owner’s manual, it should output DVD Audio through the HDMI out as multi channel PCM the same as the Oppo. While it does read the DVD Audio version and outputs the video, my Integra does not get an audio input signal. The HDMI is the only connection I have made to the processor. I don’t wish to connect the 5.1 analog outputs since it defeats Audussey speaker calibration. The Oppo is connected to the Blu-ray/DVD input via split HDMI connection, 1 directly to the TV and 2 to the processor and plays DVD Audio via HDMI as expected. I have tried every setting adjustment on the Sherwood and Integra that I can find but still can’t get DVD Audio output. It does however decode Dolby Digital and DTS through the HDMI and will also play the DVD Video portion of DVD Audio discs. Is there someone out there maybe still rocking one of these old players or possibly remembers how to get DVD Audio via HDMI on the old Sherwood? Any help would be appreciated.
The HDMI 1.0 output on the Sherwood player does not support SACD multichannel audio; only the analog outputs support SACD mch out.

If your playing a copy protected DVD-Audio (with CPPM), then the Sherwood will not output PCM via HDMI; only the analog outputs support CPPM DVD-Audio mch out. Perhaps your DVD-A disc is copy protected?

See this table:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/71...page=10#manual

If your playing a non-CPPM DVD-Audio disc, then the player will output mch PCM via HDMI. Did you set the DVD-Audio Area in the player menu?

See this:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/71...page=43#manual
Bill Mac likes this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman

Last edited by kokishin; 11-21-2018 at 04:06 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-21-2018, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
The HDMI 1.0 output on the Sherwood player does not support SACD multichannel audio; only the analog outputs support SACD mch out.

If your playing a copy protected DVD-Audio (with CPPM), then the Sherwood will not output PCM via HDMI; only the analog outputs support CPPM DVD-Audio mch out. Perhaps your DVD-A disc is copy protected?

See this table:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/71...page=10#manual

If your playing a non-CPPM DVD-Audio disc, then the player will output mch PCM via HDMI. Did you set the DVD-Audio Area in the player menu?

See this:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/71...page=43#manual
Thanks for responding. I seem to recall using the analog audio outs when I previously used the Sherwood player. I assume all commercially purchased DVD Audio discs are CPPM protected discs, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-21-2018, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Thanks for responding. I seem to recall using the analog audio outs when I previously used the Sherwood player. I assume all commercially purchased DVD Audio discs are CPPM protected discs, no?
Dunno but likely. If your DVD-Audio disc(s) won't output audio via HDMI but plays successfully in your 103D via HDMI, then I presume the discs are copy protected. HST, I'm also presuming that you have setup the Sherwood player menus appropriately for DVD-Audio playback.
Bill Mac likes this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #5 of 12 Old 11-21-2018, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
I almost bought an SD-871 on eBay awhile back for $199 new but then realized I didn't need another universal player. But they're still available on eBay if anyone is looking for an inexpensive universal player with a 5.1 analog output.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sherwood-SD-8...layer/55068059

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-22-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Having two players seems to defeat the reason to have an all in one player like the Oppo. Wouldn't it be possible when the Oppo dies to just replace it with two players that do all the same things?
post #7 of 12 Old 11-23-2018, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Dunno but likely. If your DVD-Audio disc(s) won't output audio via HDMI but plays successfully in your 103D via HDMI, then I presume the discs are copy protected. HST, I'm also presuming that you have setup the Sherwood player menus appropriately for DVD-Audio playback.
Yes, I did set it up to play the DVD Audio portion of the disc. It outputs the photos, lyrics, etc of the DVD Audio layer but does not output sound. My Integra processor shows analog input for audio input, of which I do not have an analog input connected from it. If I switch it to read the DVD Video portion of the disc, it outputs the video and audio in DD or DTS as expected and the Integra identifies the audio input as HDMI. I’m guessing it is due to the copy protection. I tried older discs like Fleetwood Mac Rumours and Yes Fragile and even a newer Rush Moving Pictures with the same result. Guess I’ll just use the Sherwood for DVD Video movies and the Oppo for everything else. Thanks for the input.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-23-2018, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
Having two players seems to defeat the reason to have an all in one player like the Oppo. Wouldn't it be possible when the Oppo dies to just replace it with two players that do all the same things?
You’re probably right but it seems that as far as DVD Audio goes there are fewer and fewer players on the market that actually decode this format of which I have quite a few discs of. The Oppo players seemed to be the best choice for those of us who like multi channel music but as of yet there doesn’t appear to be a better choice or even an equal choice for new players on the market today. This may change in the future or perhaps they will stop putting the DVD Audio decoding in players all together since it doesn’t seem as though there are many new releases in this format
post #9 of 12 Old 11-23-2018, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I almost bought an SD-871 on eBay awhile back for $199 new but then realized I didn't need another universal player. But they're still available on eBay if anyone is looking for an inexpensive universal player with a 5.1 analog output.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sherwood-SD-8...layer/55068059

Bill
Bill,

I agree with you on this. I bought this player several years back to replace an old Pioneer DV-563A universal player which wouldn’t decode the newer DVD Audio discs being released at that time. I remember its performance to be light years ahead of the old Pioneer in both SACD/DVD Audio and also as a DVD player as long as you can live with a few quirks. It is very slow in reading discs like a lot of the first Blu-ray players were. It also adds about a 1/2 second pause when playing SACDs between the tracks. Not usually noticeable unless you’re listening to something like Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here or any other SACD that runs songs together. It obviously doesn’t pass SACD or DVD Audio through HDMI. Some said the build quality was spotty but it does appear to be a well built unit and also does a pretty good job as a standard DVD player.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-27-2018, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
You’re probably right but it seems that as far as DVD Audio goes there are fewer and fewer players on the market that actually decode this format of which I have quite a few discs of.
It seems like it's pretty easy to find a player that does either SACD or DVD-A, but both is scarce. At this point you should be able to find two players to play just about everything between them, and still pay less than an all in one Oppo. A Sony player that is region free modded and plays DVD-A is available on eBay for about $170. A Dennon that plays SACD is $130. That would be a good pair.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-19-2019, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,

Hopefully this is an OK place to post my question. I recently bought a Sherwood Newcastle R 683T I am not savvy with the tech side of this so I am hoping someone will take a few minutes to walk me thru how to plug in the Monitor and configure the unit??

The TV is an Olevia. I am not using S-Video or Component hookups, so I guess I am using Composite? I have hooked up my Blu-Ray and VCR and can't get video thru the TV or sound thru the stereo.

Pics attached.

Thanks for any assist on this. The manual isn't that great for noobs.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherwood-R-683T-Front.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2568906   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV-OLEVIA-side.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2568908   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV-OLEVIA-under.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2568910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherwood-R-683T-rear.jpg
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2568912  
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-AV View Post
I have hooked up my Blu-Ray and VCR and can't get video thru the TV or sound thru the stereo.
What's the make and model number of this device?

From the photo's you've provided it would appear all your devices support 'component' video. Which is technically capable of offering the highest quality 'analogue' video images...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page