Help with playing DVD-Audio on PC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By HomerJau
  • 2 Post By SeeMoreDigital

post #1 of 17 Old 02-23-2019, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Help with playing DVD-Audio on PC

I just purchased my 1st DVD-Audio 'albums' - The Who - Tommy and Mile Davis - Kind of Blue. I have Tommy in hand and Kind of Blue is on its way.

My Blu-ray player (Panasonic) is not capable of playing this format. However, it appears that my PC is. I have an LG Blu-ray drive and popped it in and it plays via VLC.

My audio is controlled by Realtek and by default it outputs to my 2 L/R Bose desktop speakers. However, I can change the output to Optical (TOSLINK) output and feed to my Pioneer AVR (VSX-919AH-K).

If I use VLC, it seems that all 5.1 speakers are used but it seems like it "Faking" surround sound for lack of a better way to describe. Direct mode seems to keep it 2 channel but Surround Mode like [] Pro Logic ||x Or Neo:6 music will push it thru all 5.1 channels.
But if I use something like DVD Audio Extractor to play, it uses all 5.1 speakers but it sounds like its using them in discrete mode.

For example,
Via VLC playback - Rogers vocals during Overture is coming thru on all speakers
Via DVD Audio Extractor playback (yes playback via this software, NOT from any "extracted" output, just playback) - Rogers vocals stay in center channel while discrete audio is present in other channels. However, I am experiencing some sort of 'skipping' at times, as if it cant handle the full load of the data being sent to the AVR and it chokes. I only experience this "skip" during playback via DVD AE!

So, really, what I am getting at, is can I use my PC as a means to play DVD-Audio? If so, what do I need? I am contemplating this route rather than buying a dedicated DVD player that can play DVD-Audio and SACD.

I will just find a dedicated player if that solves a lot of headaches trying to get this right via PC, but I wanted to ask here first.

Last edited by kezug; 02-23-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-24-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

So, really, what I am getting at, is can I use my PC as a means to play DVD-Audio? If so, what do I need? I am contemplating this route rather than buying a dedicated DVD player that can play DVD-Audio and SACD.

I will just find a dedicated player if that solves a lot of headaches trying to get this right via PC, but I wanted to ask here first.
Impossible to know what you're hearing, but its pretty rare for PC software to support DVD-A playback. Most DVD-A discs also have DVD-V content, and this is what you generally get when playing it on non-supporting hardware/software. Your Panasonic BD player can do that much too.

What you can do with a PC and DVD drive is rip the high-res audio to .wav or .flac files and enjoy the music that way. I use a freeware called DVDAExplorer to do that.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-24-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I think what rdgrimes says is true for Mac too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-24-2019, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 612
It is. You need a DVD A player for that stream otherwise all you are getting is the DVD Video audio track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #5 of 17 Old 02-25-2019, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What you are getting on your PC is DVD-Video. DVD-Video is/was capable of 24/96 stereo. Companies like Classic Records were producing 24/96 audiophile recordings called DAD's using DVD-Video technology before DVD Audio came along. They are compatible with all DVD players. They also produced HDAD discs, 24/96 DVD-Video on one side, DVD-Audio on the other side. They sound great. I have Muddy Waters-Folk Singer on 24/96 DAD and SA-CD. I prefer the DAD version. Only stereo.

Do a search on the label 'Classic Records'

https://www.discogs.com/label/22206-Classic-Records

I was an early adopter of DVD-Audio and SA-CD. These days if I'm spending money on Hi-Rez multi channel music it's on Blu-Ray.

Honestly buying this box set for $169 is probable easier and less expensive than buying a used DVD-Audio player. http://www.elusivedisc.com/The-Who-T...fo/UNICD74739/

Last edited by rbrb; 02-25-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-25-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrb View Post
DVD-Video is/was capable of 24/96 stereo.
Not to derail the thread, but in the interest of accuracy: DVD is capable of 24/192 stereo if a low bitrate slide show is used instead of full motion video. Several of the old DAD discs did this. I'm remembering "Muddy Waters Folk Singer" as one.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-25-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Not to derail the thread, but in the interest of accuracy: DVD is capable of 24/192 stereo if a low bitrate slide show is used instead of full motion video. Several of the old DAD discs did this. I'm remembering "Muddy Waters Folk Singer" as one.
Although it's technically illegal to mux an 192/24-bit stereo PCM audio stream into the .vob container, yes it is indeed possible to do it

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 02-25-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-25-2019, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Use DVD Audio Extractor to convert the lossless audio to hires multichannel FLAC.

There are many programs that play hires MCH FLAC. I use Foobar2000. This will also play DVDA ISOs and SACD ISO files with Foobar2000 components installed. All free.
fullhorn and captainbrent like this.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-01-2019, 11:36 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I had posted this earlier on another, similar thread, but discovered that it was under Home Theater Video, so I am re-posting it here.

I "successfully" ripped my two DVD-As with DVD-Audio Explorer, but am very confused how to properly do it. Please help me understand what the various files are.

I opened one DVD-A and see two folders: VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS; I assume I use the Audio one.

If I look inside AUDIO_TS using Windows Explorer, there are four rather small IFO files. However, when I load the disk with DVDAE, they are actually folders, named ATS_01_0.IFO, AUDIO_PP.IFO, AUDIO_SW.IFO, and AUDIO_TS.IFO. Within DVDAE the ATS_01_0.IFO has two subfolders labeled
"Title 01[1] - 01:26:40 - 15 tracks" and "Title 01[0] - 01:26:40 - 15 tracks".
Under each of these are two sets of 15 files with very similar names.

Opening the first of these IFO tracks with DVDAE, all the files are ripped and saved to my selected folder. Again, there are two sets of 15 files, all with the extension "mlp". The ones in the first group are labeled "track-01-01[0]-nn-[L-R]-23-48000.mlp" where the "nn" is a number ranging from 01 to 15. The ones in the second group are labeled "track-01-01[1]-nn-[Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs-D-LFE]-24-48000.mlp". Obviously the first group are stereo files and the second group are 5.1 files, all digitized at 24/48000.

My other DVD-A is more complicated, the mlp files are similarly labeled, but at 24/96000. I won't go into the various files on the DVD-A, but they were successfully ripped also.

What are mlp files? When I started fiddling around with digitizing or ripping LPs and CDs, I downloaded several programs, including Audacity (for digitizing) and Foobar (for ripping and tagging). Another program, called VLC-media player was also installed, and that program appears to be the only one which can open these .mlp files (Foobar won't). However, VLC-media player does play them fine (as far as I can tell using my computer speakers).

I haven't tried the other IFO folders yet. Please help me sort through all these various files. I could attach screen captures of the various images if that would be useful.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-03-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
What are mlp files?
In the case of DVD-Audio, MLP stands for Meridian Lossless Packing. It's a method of losslessly compressing (re-packing) PCM audio stream data... Like zipping data files

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
post #11 of 17 Old 03-03-2019, 03:56 PM

Since I posted this, I made some progress. VLC Media Player will read and convert the MLP files to FLAC or what ever I want. I've been listening to some of the resultant FLAC files, and they don't sound very good.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-04-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What's wrong with the regular audio files on the disc?
post #13 of 17 Old 03-04-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since I posted this, I made some progress. VLC Media Player will read and convert the MLP files to FLAC or what ever I want. I've been listening to some of the resultant FLAC files, and they don't sound very good.
The last time I looked the 'save/convert' feature in VLC player did not offer many encoding options...

post #14 of 17 Old 03-04-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@MTVhike

Is there any particular reason why you did not use DVD Audio Extractor to back-up your DVD-A discs directly to FLAC?

Cheers
captainbrent and HomerJau like this.

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 03-04-2019 at 01:00 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
@MTVhike

Is there any particular reason why you did not use DVD Audio Extractor to back-up your DVD-A discs directly to FLAC?

Cheers
I didn't know I could. However, when I did it to .mlp files, the resultant .flac files were all 16/44.
I then did it directly to .flac and they came out 24/48. However, the 5.1 files also came out as stereo. I'll have to look into that.

Last edited by MTVhike; 03-06-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If the first step is 16/44.1, the resultant steps don't need to be more than that.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-06-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't know I could. However, when I did it to .mlp files, the resultant .flac files were all 16/44.
I then did it directly to .flac and they came out 24/48. However, the 5.1 files also came out as stereo. I'll have to look into that.
Since you already have the multi-channel .mlp files saved on your computer it's possible to use DVD Audio Extractor to encode them to Flac (without having to load the disc again).

• Start DVD Audio Extractor and click within the 'DVD Source' box. A drop-down box will appear.
  • Select the: 'File - Open single AOB/VOB or demuxed audio file...' option.
  • Click on the yellow 'Click to browse to file of folder' icon.
  • Navigate to your .mlp file(s).
  • Click on the 'Next >' box icon.
  • Click within the 'Output format: box and select the 'FLAC -- Free Lossless Audio Codec' option.
  • Under the 'Setting details:' select the required drop-down box options.
  • Click on the 'Next >' box icon.
  • ...and follow the next options to generate your FLAC encode...

With any luck, that should be about it...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page