My Panasonic BDT220 can play DVD-A (DVD Audio), but how? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Bill Mac
  • 2 Post By impetigo
  • 1 Post By Bill Mac
  • 1 Post By impetigo

post #1 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My Panasonic BDT220 can play DVD-A (DVD Audio), but how?

In my new venture into multichannel material (SACD and DVD-Audio) I am finding that DVD-Audio source (such as Tommy DVD Audio and Miles Davis Kind of Blue DVD Audio) can be played on my Blu-ray player. However, when I review the manual it says the following:

Discs that cannot be played in
this unit

Any other disc that is not specifically
supported or previously described.
≥ DVD-RAM
≥ Super Audio CD
≥ Photo CD
≥ DVD-Audio <-----------------------
≥ Video CD and Super Video CD
≥WMA discs
≥ All types of DivX discs
≥ PAL discs
≥ HD DVD
≥ BD-Video discs recorded at a rate of 50 fields/sec

This confuses me and had me believing I could NOT play DVD-A. However, I can and am puzzled as to how. Could the manual have been wrong or perhaps a firmware update made it playable? Or am I missing something with DVD-A (DVD Audio)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post
In my new venture into multichannel material (SACD and DVD-Audio) I am finding that DVD-Audio source (such as Tommy DVD Audio and Miles Davis Kind of Blue DVD Audio) can be played on my Blu-ray player. However, when I review the manual it says the following:

Discs that cannot be played in
this unit
Any other disc that is not specifically
supported or previously described.
≥ DVD-RAM
≥ Super Audio CD
≥ Photo CD
≥ DVD-Audio <-----------------------
≥ Video CD and Super Video CD
≥WMA discs
≥ All types of DivX discs
≥ PAL discs
≥ HD DVD
≥ BD-Video discs recorded at a rate of 50 fields/sec

This confuses me and had me believing I could NOT play DVD-A. However, I can and am puzzled as to how. Could the manual have been wrong or perhaps a firmware update made it playable? Or am I missing something with DVD-A (DVD Audio)?
There is a DVD-V layer of DVD-A discs that will play on standard DVD or Blu-ray players. That is what is playing on your BDT220. What does your AVR show is playing for audio? It's not the hi-res audio from the DVD-A layer.

Bill
captainbrent and Madmax67 like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
There is a DVD-V layer of DVD-A discs that will play on standard DVD or Blu-ray players. That is what is playing on your BDT220. What does your AVR show is playing for audio? It's not the hi-res audio from the DVD-A layer.

Bill

Hi Bill, Do you know if all DVD-A discs have the DVD-V layer?

I noticed the same thing as OP on my Sony BDP-S6700. I bought Beatles Love which says DVD-A in product description. When I play on the BDP, it plays as a normal DVD and the top menu comes up. When played, when I hit display and cycle through the Audio options, I get the following:

1. LPCM, 48kHz, 16 bit, 1.5Mbps (AVR shows 2.0 PCM)
2. Dolby Digital 5.1, 48kHz, 448kbps (AVR shows Dolby 3/2)
3. DTS 5.1, 48kHz, 754kbps (AVR shows DTS 3/2)

So back to my question: Do all DVD-A discs have the DVD-V layer?

The reason I ask is I recently set up 5.1 in my living room and I am falling fast for music in surround sound. A lot of titles I love are available as DVD-A discs but these are quite expensive since looks like the discs are not manufactured anymore and only available on the used market with a good markup by the resellers (can't blame them). I would love to purchase these discs but need to be sure they will play on my disc player.

Side note: For the Love disc - I cannot really tell the difference between the Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 formats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacevector View Post

I noticed the same thing as OP on my Sony BDP-S6700. I bought Beatles Love which says DVD-A in product description. When I play on the BDP, it plays as a normal DVD and the top menu comes up. When played, when I hit display and cycle through the Audio options, I get the following:

The reason I ask is I recently set up 5.1 in my living room and I am falling fast for music in surround sound. A lot of titles I love are available as DVD-A discs but these are quite expensive since looks like the discs are not manufactured anymore and only available on the used market with a good markup by the resellers (can't blame them). I would love to purchase these discs but need to be sure they will play on my disc player.

Side note: For the Love disc - I cannot really tell the difference between the Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 formats.
I'm also confused by DVD-A, but part of the issue is that a lot of DVD-V are incorrectly noted to be DVD-A on the packaging and disc. One way to determine if a DVD is a DVD-A or DVD-V is if there is any video content on the disc at all. If there is, then it has to be a DVD-V. If there isn't, it could be either, but most likely DVD-A. DVD-A allows uncompressed surround up to 24 bit/96 khz while DVD-V can only do surround in compressed formats/codecs (like Dolby Digital). Both can do uncompressed stereo up to 24 bit/96 khz khz for DVD-V and 24 bit/192 khz for DVD-A.

Another confusing thing is that DTS CDs are often sold in super jewel box ("king" size) which is what DVD-A (or DVD-V) use, and often sold as DVD-A by sellers who probably don't know that DTS CD are not DVD-A.

I found this handy table online about DVD-A vs DVD-V: https://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/info...59fb7cb7r58337
Bill Mac and SeeMoreDigital like this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacevector View Post

I believe all DVD-As do have a DVD-V layer. For any DVD-As that you are interested in you could look them up on Discogs.

https://www.discogs.com/search/

Bill
SeeMoreDigital likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 354
You can also check out this thread that I started compiling all the non-super-obscure DVD-A (and primarily audio DVD-V) releases. That is, it is compiled from the discogs database but does not include really obscure european electronic music and stuff like that. It's a good reference though.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-s...out-there.html
Bill Mac likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)

Last edited by impetigo; 05-16-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page