Symphonic Music of Yes (Dolby Surround) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By sworth

post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Symphonic Music of Yes (Dolby Surround)

I picked this old CD up at discogs, and I'm glad I did. It's a Dolby Surround encoded CD recorded in 1993 with orchestral arrangements of Yes songs. In fact, Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford and Steve Howe all appear on the album, and it was produced by Alan Parsons and Howe. It reminds me a lot of the second side of Yellow Submarine crossed with Parson's House of Usher. The arrangements are quite good and hearing songs like Heart of the Sunrise with an orchestra is a bit like Procol Harum's Conquistador on the live album.. it totally works as an orchestral piece. The surround is very good and sounds good loud. It doesn't replicate a natural symphonic acoustic, but with this music, it shouldn't. Lots of fun touches where the sound field changes to follow the arrangement. There are even some bird chirping sound effects tossed into to one of the songs. Definitely worth getting. I found that it decoded best with DTS Neo:6 Music, but Dolby II Music was good too. I've got Symphonic Music of the Rolling Stones too, but I haven't listened to it yet. That one has vocals by Marianne Faithful. There are some really great sounding Dolby Surround CDs out there, and it's easy to scoop them up cheap used.

Last edited by sworth; 04-16-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Thanks, just ordered one!
post #3 of 9 Old 05-01-2019, 06:51 AM

Well, I got my disc and gave it a listen. I have to say it is disappointing on my 5.1 system, so I'm interested in others' experience with the Dolby surround. The centre channel is prominent but the sound from LRF and surrounds is weak. My settings (Denon x2200w) are good for all other content so I don't want to go and make major adjustments just to play this disc. I am playing it on a Yamaha BDP and the receiver shows Multi-ln as input so it is reading it as surround. Selecting Dolby Surround makes no difference. The music is great, but I may just play it in stereo if this is as good as it gets for surround. Experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-01-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My Yamaha amp defaults to regular two channel stereo. You have to select a decoder by pressing the Surround DSP button a few times to select the one you want. Try the DTS Music DSP, and switch back and forth between that and 2 channel stereo and you'll hear the difference. There is a lot more depth and it gets a nice natural orchestral acoustic. It's an overall sound field effect, not whiz bang sound coming from all corners. Your room should sound larger with more depth.

Last edited by sworth; 05-01-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2216 Post(s)
Liked: 3402
I have the Symphonic Music of Yes CD and listened to it once in surround. Nothing special as far as the music and the surround effect. Never listened to it after the initial listen. There are quite a few Yes albums in actual surround with many of those 5.1 mixes in hi-res by Steven Wilson. Money much better spent on those titles than this one IMO.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not going to complain about the cost of a three dollar CD!
post #7 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
I'm not going to complain about the cost of a three dollar CD!
The surround mix was coming through the speakers, just not strong. I'll play with it a bit more, but not hopeful. Agreed, it was worth the few dollars I paid, and I do prefer my Steven Wilson surround mixes that cost me much more. I listened to it in stereo today and it is a nice alternative.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-04-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You're listening for something different. This isn't like the Steven Wilson mixes, it's matrixed surround. The idea isn't that sound comes at you from all sides. It's that you get a solid front soundstage with added depth. It's like stereo with an acoustic space around it. It's more like classical multichannel recordings than ping pong rock ones. Using your AVR, toggle between DTS Music and straight stereo and you'll hear exactly what it's doing. It may be that your speaker setup doesn't render sound fields well. The fronts and the rears need to be able to mesh in the middle. That won't work if there is furniture between you and the rears, or if the rear speakers are smaller than the mains. If it works, you get a really sumptuous enveloping orchestral sound.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
You're listening for something different. This isn't like the Steven Wilson mixes, it's matrixed surround. The idea isn't that sound comes at you from all sides. It's that you get a solid front soundstage with added depth. It's like stereo with an acoustic space around it. It's more like classical multichannel recordings than ping pong rock ones. Using your AVR, toggle between DTS Music and straight stereo and you'll hear exactly what it's doing. It may be that your speaker setup doesn't render sound fields well. The fronts and the rears need to be able to mesh in the middle. That won't work if there is furniture between you and the rears, or if the rear speakers are smaller than the mains. If it works, you get a really sumptuous enveloping orchestral sound.
Ah, got it. My setup is not ideal for that scenario (KEF Q100 LR and Q200 C, in corner of room with surrounds mounted flush with couch on rear wall) but I will play with it when time permits. Enjoyable nonetheless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page