Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By sworth
  • 2 Post By impetigo
  • 2 Post By sworth
  • 2 Post By mrcarnut
  • 1 Post By impetigo
  • 1 Post By MRAYB

post #1 of 15 Old 05-01-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus

Here's a rarity coming out in a deluxe box set. Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus (1968)... The Stones, The Who, Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithful and a supergroup called The Dirty Mac which includes Clapton and John Lennon. No word of whether it will be a 5.1 mix yet, but it includes HD audio, so I would guess that is a possibility. 4 discs: 2 CD, Blu and DVD. Should be interesting.
captainbrent and MRAYB like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-01-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Nice! Is it an old festival recording? If it's live I'll pass but if not, definitely will get it.
RobKnapp and MRAYB like this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #3 of 15 Old 05-01-2019, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It was intended to be a television show hosted by the Stones. The BBC shot it in 35mm with very high production values, but for some reason the Stones didn't like it and soft peddled it. Word is, it was because the Who's performance upstaged the hosts. In any case, it was the last time Brian Jones played with the Stones, so it's hugely significant historically. I've never seen it. I've only heard the songs on bootleg LPs. Trademark of Quality. It's one of the 60s holy grails... kind of like the British equivalent of the T.A.M.I. Show. Image and sound quality should be top notch.
impetigo and MRAYB like this.

Last edited by sworth; 05-01-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-02-2019, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I actually have the original DVD version of this concert. I was researching this new release and found this interesting.

The stereo version on the CD and vinyl is a “new mix” while the blu-ray offers a Dolby Atmos surround mix. ABKCO are claiming that this is “the first archival concert film to be mixed using” Atmos.

Here's a link to the announcement too.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...and-3lp-vinyl/
captainbrent and impetigo like this.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-02-2019, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Sounds cool for sure. Will have to probably pick this one up at some point.
MRAYB likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #6 of 15 Old 05-03-2019, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Own the original dvd now. It really is a great "show". I have to put it in once a month or so. For being 50 years old, the picture quality is very good. The back jacket says it was remastered from original 16MM negative. The colors of everyone's costumes is astounding. There already is a 5.1 or 2.0 option on this one(original).

I agree with The Who stealing the show comment. The Dirty Mac Band also had Mitch Mitchell from The Jimi Hendrix Experience on drums. Also Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath plays with Jethro Tull. Just about every star from the day is on here. Either playing OR in the crowd. Led Zeppelin was originally set to be there, but it didn't come about.

Every track is awesome. Well, with the exception of Yoko squawking something. Can't even listen to that.
acebreathe likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-03-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Nice! Is it an old festival recording? If it's live I'll pass but if not, definitely will get it.

"Live", but not really a concert? If you are a fan of the greats of the era, you WANT this.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nd+roll+circus
post #8 of 15 Old 05-03-2019, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 13121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post
I actually have the original DVD version of this concert. I was researching this new release and found this interesting.

The stereo version on the CD and vinyl is a “new mix” while the blu-ray offers a Dolby Atmos surround mix. ABKCO are claiming that this is “the first archival concert film to be mixed using” Atmos.

Here's a link to the announcement too.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...and-3lp-vinyl/
Amazon Prime Video has a pre-order for a UHD version, too.

I wonder if Michael Lindsay-Hogg is any relation to Sir Denis Eton-Hogg? Who were the Hoggs?

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #9 of 15 Old 05-03-2019, 02:07 PM

The Dirty Mac is probably the first "Super-group". Before that was even a thing. Maybe Cream, Blind Faith of course. But just imagine if these four Lennon (minus Yoko), Richards, Clapton, and Mitchell stayed the course. WOW!.

Well, gotta go put it in and relax with a cold one. Would love it more if I could relax with a "hot one", like when I first bought it. But my employer dictates what I do at home on my own time.

Last edited by MRAYB; 05-03-2019 at 02:43 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-03-2019, 03:49 PM

Damn, everybody is just "out of it", in a good way. Just the back and forth between Jagger and Lennon is priceless. Legend is it took 36 hours to shoot. The first audience finally gave up and they brought in a second fresh audience for the Stones set. Wish I had been there!
post #11 of 15 Old 05-07-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
I’m not sure I’ll even touch this. The idiotic fight with ABKCO drags on and there’s a LOT of extras that will not be included. No rehearsals or extra tracks including a bunch of legendary stuff by The Who that was left off the original.

Looks like just another money grab by the Stones who excel in giving us the least for the most money.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-08-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You couldn't ask for a better period for the Stones... right between Satanic Majesty and Beggar's Banquet. I can't see passing this up at all unless you just don't care for the Stones. Even if you don't, there's The Who, Taj Mahal, Jethro Tull and Marianne Faithful- shot on film in a studio with great sound. The only thing that comes remotely close to that is the T.A.M.I. Show.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-14-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Even the DVD version of this is incredible, I believe it was DTS also, Interesting is the debut of Tull with Toni Iomi on guitar before joining Sabbath, Zeppelin was also to be at this circus,but they had just formed and i believe it was Jaggar who turned them down, It is a blast to watch,but be forewarned the part with Yoko destroys the enjoyment unless you like fingernails loudly scraping chalk boards or engines running without oil !
post #14 of 15 Old 06-08-2019, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No apologies need to be made for this. It's fantastic musicians winging it and blowing the roof off the joint. It doesn't get better than this. Yoko is mixed down to acceptable levels (almost inaudible).
post #15 of 15 Old 06-08-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldef View Post
Even the DVD version of this is incredible, I believe it was DTS also, Interesting is the debut of Tull with Toni Iomi on guitar before joining Sabbath, Zeppelin was also to be at this circus,but they had just formed and i believe it was Jaggar who turned them down, It is a blast to watch,but be forewarned the part with Yoko destroys the enjoyment unless you like fingernails loudly scraping chalk boards or engines running without oil !
IOMMI, Ward, Butler and Osbourne were already in a band at the time of this. It just happened to be called "Earth". Later changed to Black Sabbath. Iommi didn't "join" Black Sabbath. He and Bill Ward were the two founding members of Earth/Sabbath. These two recruited Butler/Osbourne to form the classic line up. Also he did not really play. The only instrument that is live is Ian's flute. His guitar is not even plugged in. That is why he has his hat covering his face, he was embarrassed. That comes straight from Ian Anderson.

I like your re post of my previous post. See #6

Last edited by MRAYB; 06-08-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page