Dolby and Universal Music Group are releasing thousands of songs in Dolby Atmos - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #31 of 33 Old 07-11-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 398
The surround movie mixes are done ducking in and out around sound effects and dialogue. It isn't like you can just turn off the dial and efx and end up with something listenable. To turn that into a listenable soundtrack album, you have to edit and completely remix. The reason they usually do it in stereo is because of economics. CDs have the widest acceptance and a stereo mix is a lot easier to do than multichannel. They would have the elements to do a multichannel mix if they wanted to though. If it becomes economically viable, like with the Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings movies, I'm sure they would do multichannel mixes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 07-12-2019, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
The surround movie mixes are done ducking in and out around sound effects and dialogue. It isn't like you can just turn off the dial and efx and end up with something listenable. To turn that into a listenable soundtrack album, you have to edit and completely remix. The reason they usually do it in stereo is because of economics. CDs have the widest acceptance and a stereo mix is a lot easier to do than multichannel. They would have the elements to do a multichannel mix if they wanted to though. If it becomes economically viable, like with the Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings movies, I'm sure they would do multichannel mixes.
@SeeMoreDigital was talking about using the surround soundtracks that are already done for older mediums (VHS/LD/DVD) and put them along with the new mixed ones.

And is very easy to downmix a surround soundtrack to stereo - and not mentioning the fact that the surround soundtracks were encoded using only 2 channels (stereo) so you could just slap that soundtrack to a cassette, vinyl or CD.

"OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more
LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC 8th & 7th gen i3's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapters, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
post #33 of 33 Old 07-12-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 398
So you're talking about alternate mixes that include dialogue and effects? Would people buy a movie with talking and explosions with no picture to go with it? And when you say 2 channel stereo surround, do you mean matrixed? There are matrixed CDs, but they don't seem to sell well. I guess I don't understand what it is that is being suggested... Blu-rays of a movie with more than one sound mix of the movie (there already is that in some cases) or taking soundtracks of movies with the full mix with dialogue and effects and music and releasing that on CD. I can't see the latter being successful.

Alternate mixes are an interesting subject. Some movies have dozens and dozens of different sound mixes for different purposes. I've been told that there's a few that have hundreds of sound mixes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page