Where to buy Surround Sound Music? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By Bill Mac
  • 4 Post By Mark Foley
  • 1 Post By weekendtoy

post #1 of 10 Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Where to buy Surround Sound Music?

I was just listening to an old copy of Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth on DTS CD last night and was loving the surround experience. I have a bunch of multichannel SACD, DVD-Audio and DTS CD discs that I have collected over the past 15 to 20 years, but haven't been in the market for the past 5 years or so. Where do people purchase multichannel music from these days? Is all the music still on disc or are there surround sound downloads that are now available (legal not pirated stuff)?

Are there any particularly strong recommendations in the Rock or Jazz categories that have come out in the past few years that I should check out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-29-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Discogs is a pretty good place to find second-hand surround sound (multi-channel) discs.

Sadly, most surround sound content tends to be re-mixes of old albums by established artists/bands. There's very little in the way of new content by newer artists/bands

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #3 of 10 Old 05-29-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Foley View Post
I was just listening to an old copy of Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth on DTS CD last night and was loving the surround experience. I have a bunch of multichannel SACD, DVD-Audio and DTS CD discs that I have collected over the past 15 to 20 years, but haven't been in the market for the past 5 years or so. Where do people purchase multichannel music from these days? Is all the music still on disc or are there surround sound downloads that are now available (legal not pirated stuff)?

Are there any particularly strong recommendations in the Rock or Jazz categories that have come out in the past few years that I should check out?
Check out sa-cd.net and hraudio.net as they list thousands of SACDs and Blu-ray audio discs. Both sites are linked in my signature. Also check out the Quadraphonic Quad forum as well. Not as much for sales but for research as to what are good surround mixes and for those that are not.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php

Bill
HomerJau and shivaji like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Yep, ebay and discogs are my go to places. Discogs tend to have better, more accurate condition grading but ebay has the buyer's protection if you get a horrible disc listed as "like new" (as has happened to me numerous times). Stuff that's still in print (they are out there) I usually get from Amazon or ebay. You can find some Japanese SACDs on the Japanese Amazon site (e.g. Deep Purple's Motorhead, Eagle's Hotel California, Jeff Beck's Wired/Rough and Ready/etc.) that are often cheaper than buying from U.S. sellers and fast as they usually ship by DHL and arrive in a couple days. Also, be aware than when searching on discogs you should try searching with the term "multichannel" rather than "SACD" or "DVD" as there are often multiple multichannel versions (U.S. DVD-A, euro DVD-A, SACD, all of the same album) of an album that may not all show up if you search by a format type.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #5 of 10 Old 05-31-2019, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
I was just listening to an old copy of Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth...

Try these threads that list recent surround music releases over last decade or so:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...ists-2009.172/
post #6 of 10 Old 05-31-2019, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 93
My go to for downloads is Native DSD. Many record companies, especially classical, now offer downloads but most only offer stereo versions (although released on multichannel SACD). I always check Native DSD for the surround sound version (and I usually find it). For instance, Reference Recordings offers the stereo version on their website while Native DSD has the multichannel. There is Jazz and Blues too.

Marcus
post #7 of 10 Old 06-03-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you for the tips everyone. I particularly am enjoying discogs. I have already purchased 5 discs off their marketplace in the last week, which gets me up to about 50 surround discs. I am hoping to get that number up to a couple hundred in the next year or so. I just wish that some of the best discs didn't cost so darn much but I expect that I'm preaching to the choir on that one.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-04-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
I’ve had great luck on Amazon sellers. For some reason a lot of stuff falls through the cracks and gets listed at good prices. It probably has something to do with the crappy way Amazon lists these things to begin with. You have to be very careful to make sure you’re getting the correct item before buying.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
Since you specifically asked for Jazz titles you may also want to peruse the Dutton Vocalion site. All their SACD titles are really well done.

In particular, I enjoy the Deodato 2-fer disc.
Bill Mac likes this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Last edited by weekendtoy; 06-05-2019 at 10:20 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Based on your genre-- check out AIX records..{ mentioned hundreds of times here on AVS}.
I own 20> absolutely beautiful..... My go to for myself and friends.....
I have the OPPO 105 and the 203 SACD players,,
db

Last edited by DAB; 06-05-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page