Jethro Tull - Stormwatch 40th Anniversary Edition - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By LineWalker
  • 2 Post By Bill Mac

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2019, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Jethro Tull - Stormwatch 40th Anniversary Edition

Well, it looks as if there's at least one more rabbit to pull out of the Jethro Tull hat, in regards to reissues of their catalog by Steven Wilson. They now have Stormwatch set to come out in a 40th Anniversary set on October 18th, dubbed the "Force 10 Edition" and containing no less than 6 discs (4 CDs, 2 DVDs). It looks like this:
> One CD has the album, while the second disc has studio outtakes and bonus tracks, 15 in all.
> The other CDs contain a complete, previously unreleased concert from the Netherlands from March 16th, 1980.
> One DVD contains the album with Dolby and DTS 5.1 mixes, and a 96/24 flat transfer for stereo; The other DVD has the bonus material from the second CD, with 13 tracks in 5.1 and all in 96/24 flat stereo, including five new original mixes for stereo (not sure which tracks get that treatment, though).
There was some contention here on whether on not there would be a Wilson remix/remaster of this title; now that there will be, I (and undoubtedly many others here) have something to look forward to.
Bill Mac likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 3505
I have all of the Jethro Tull book sets and will definitely be buying Stormwatch. Was a casual JT fan over the years but these sets with the Steven Wilson surround mixes has converted me to a full blown fan .

Bill
captainbrent and Black adder like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-29-2019, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Well, I finally managed to find the Stormwatch set at one of the Newbury Comics outlets in my area, many days after the official release date (as they hadn't gotten it in by then), and I just finished listening to the first DVD with the album on it. It's an interesting mix, but I fear it may not be so evenly balanced as I hoped it would be. A few tracks were more dominant toward the right than usual, and the vocals were incredibly dominating most of the time. (But on my system, that may just be because I have the center channel turned up higher than the others, because I have issues with hearing movie dialogue clearly.) I was listening to the 5.1 DTS 96/24 mix, and it was good in other ways than these--"Elegy," the instrumental that closes out the original album, is incredibly beautiful in surround, and well worth the price of admission (which for me was at least $70 for the set; YMMV on the price). I haven't listened to the second DVD with the bonus material yet, but I hope to get to that soon. My advice: Find this set if you can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page