Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-21-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dolby surround or THX music

Hello
I have an onkyo TXRZ810 set at 5.2.2 and I have been listening to music from Tidal with dolby surround. I have Dolby surround set to wide, and I feel it sounds pretty good. I am deciding to either use dolby surround for listening to music at 5.2.2, or use THX music at 7.2
I am not sure if one listening mode would be better than the other. I look forward to peoples opinion. I know I can just switch between them, and see which one I enjoy.
I personally don't hear a great difference in the quality of music between them, just that it just sounds a bit different. I prefer music to sound like I am at a concert, but remain accurate to what the music was intended to be.
Thank you for your time in reading this, and I appreciate you giving me your opinion.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-21-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I generally like the Yamaha stereo to 7.1 DSP best, unless something is specifically encoded in dolby or dts.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-28-2019, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul112233 View Post
Hello
I have an onkyo TXRZ810 set at 5.2.2 and I have been listening to music from Tidal with dolby surround. I have Dolby surround set to wide, and I feel it sounds pretty good. I am deciding to either use dolby surround for listening to music at 5.2.2, or use THX music at 7.2
I am not sure if one listening mode would be better than the other. I look forward to peoples opinion. I know I can just switch between them, and see which one I enjoy.
I personally don't hear a great difference in the quality of music between them, just that it just sounds a bit different.

Good and honest question.
A very common problem. People don't know how to listen. Hearing must be trained and learned like everything else.

If you name me a few songs you know well and if I can find them somewhere, maybe I can help you a bit...

Good sound is always the result of engineering. And engineering always starts with measuring. Consumer industry and mainstream will never tell customers about that: improvements in room acoustics are worth roughly ten (10!) times the amount spent on equipment like speakers and receivers. For example: only $500 in room treatment is worth more than spending $5000 (fivethousand) on equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-28-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's more of a problem with movies and TV shows than music. A lot of DVDs are encoded in matrixed surround, but they rarely say on the cover what kind of matrixed surround to use to decode them.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-29-2019, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
It's more of a problem with movies and TV shows than music. A lot of DVDs are encoded in matrixed surround, but they rarely say on the cover what kind of matrixed surround to use to decode them.

Are you paul112233?

Good sound is always the result of engineering. And engineering always starts with measuring. Consumer industry and mainstream will never tell customers about that: improvements in room acoustics are worth roughly ten (10!) times the amount spent on equipment like speakers and receivers. For example: only $500 in room treatment is worth more than spending $5000 (fivethousand) on equipment.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-29-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not that I know of.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-29-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul112233 View Post
Hello
I personally don't hear a great difference in the quality of music between them, just that it just sounds a bit different. I prefer music to sound like I am at a concert, but remain accurate to what the music was intended to be.
Thank you for your time in reading this, and I appreciate you giving me your opinion.
Thanks
I have the tx nr 787, and i personally prefer the thx music mode, although, DSU is much improved once you turn on the center spread, if you can find it. Without it music is way to center channel heavy but with center spread on, its a pretty good way to listen also.

onkyo tx nr-787 9.2 channel receiver in 7.2.2 configuration, front L and R and L and R surrounds,onkyo skf 4800 floorstanders; center, jbl studio 235 C; rear surrounds, klipsch rbs51 II's; height, svs prime elevation modules; subs, two klipsch sw-112's;display, vizio e 70AI3, ps4, x box one, ps3, LG up 870 ultra hd blu ray player.;apple tv 4K; google chromecast;senheiser RS 170 wireless cans
post #8 of 9 Old 07-29-2019, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
DSU gets my vote

--
Spoiler!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for everyone that has replied. I appreciate your time. I have the center spread turned on the receiver, and it sounds very good. I don't have a listening room, too many kids can't give up a room. So I just want the best performance I can from my home Theater/ music. I listen to 75% music, 25% TV mostly in the background while working, or hanging out with the family.
Thanks again. I have a 5.2.2 system with the Revel Performa 3 line with separate amps running F,L,C. In order to listen with THX music from all the speakers functioning I have to turn my receiver to 7.2
I prefer to keep it at 5.2.2
I think I am going to go with Dolby Surround.
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page