How do you listen to high-res surround? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 07-25-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJau View Post
I’m running LibreElec (Linux Kodi) on an Intel NUC via HDMI to a Denon X7200WA AVR for 7.2.4 decoding. This drives my 4 x Focal in-ceiling speakers and 2 x Focal rears.

The Denon has preamp RCA cables to an Arcam AVR600 to drive my main 5 speakers (L, C, R, SL, SR) - all Bowers and Wilkins 800 series. Two subs - both B&W 800 series. My front L + R (802Ds) are bi-amped (Arcam has 7 amplifiers).

All my music (audio only) is ripped to FLAC, except Atmos which is untouched as MKA files and decoded via HDMI Passthrough by the Denon. My concert discs ripped to individual MKV files per song so I can easily add to play lists.

Remote control via an iPad app.

A photo before I installed the Atmos in-ceiling speakers:

Impressive. So the Arcam is actually a second receiver that I guess has analog audio inputs that drives the mains? I see this common with an amp but didn't know people did it with receivers. How do you handle volume sync between two receivers like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 07-25-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 767
I use an old Mac mini (2010 I think)

It has an older version of OSX and an older version of Jriver (23?) and the advantage to that is it doesn't get confused about software updates because there are none. It has an SSD and I load the music directly onto the system hard drive. I control it with JRemote from my phone. It outputs via HDMI to my Denon something or other.

In my case my home theater uses a projector so when I want music I want the display (and it's fans) off. This makes using the Blu Ray discs that I obtained the music with difficult. The menus vary so I can't memorize a pattern on the remote to play a Blu Ray audio disc without turning the projector on. My Sony X700 claims to support High Rez Audio and while it does play my SACD or my Blu Ray audio discs using the USB drive to play HR Audio results in a large gap between tracks. As most of my HR Audio is Pink Floyd albums I need gapless playback. So ... I need to continue to have a dedicated music server ... it lets me access songs directly as any music server should and does a great job.

p.s. My portable Stereo High Res player is a bit simpler. I use a iPhone XR and have the Onkyo HF player app with high res add on. This connects via a lightning to USB adapter to a DragonFly USB Dac and from there to headphones (In my case Bose QC20.) It could also output to other components. It's limited to Stereo but does 24/96.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 07-25-2019 at 07:02 AM.
post #33 of 41 Old 07-25-2019, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Impressive. So the Arcam is actually a second receiver that I guess has analog audio inputs that drives the mains? I see this common with an amp but didn't know people did it with receivers. How do you handle volume sync between two receivers like that?

Yes. The Arcam is an AVR with 7.1 analog inputs. It was my previous receiver (better amplifier section, lower THD and sounds better, better low end). I bought the Denon 7200WA for its Atmos and DTS:X decoding and better HDMI handshaking. When I moved to 7.2.4 recently I needed additional amplifier channels, so hooked it back into the system.

The volume is controlled from the Denon’s volume control (including the Denon iOS app). Initially I set the Arcam’s volume manually to 65 and did a manual (ear) channel volume comparison. Upped it to 70, which seemed about right (volume of 5 Arcam channels vs 6 Denon channels).

Then I ran an Audessey calibration on the Denon and that tweaked the levels just a bit (within about 1.5db). The Arcam is now set to auto set volume to 70 on power on. I’d previously switched off Audessey on the Arcam and manually set all its channel levels to 0. So all room correction, speaker distances,volume level etc are controlled by the Denon. It works a treat.

I haven’t yet setup a 12V trigger which would auto power on the Arcam when Denon powers on. It’s on my To Do list.

This saved me quite a bit as I was thinking of buying a new AVR with 11 channels plus 4 new ceiling speakers. In the end it the only cost was the ceiling speakers and the old Arcam got to get out of storage.

So any of you out there with a great multichannel amp or AVR but without Atmos or DTS:X decoders should consider buying a 2nd hand AVR with Atmos and reusing their old AVR/Amp to do the mains as above. It works a treat!

Last edited by HomerJau; 07-25-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 07-25-2019, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJau View Post
Yes. The Arcam is an AVR with 7.1 analog inputs. It was my previous receiver (better amplifier section, lower THD and sounds better, better low end). I bought the Denon 7200WA for its Atmos and DTS:X decoding and better HDMI handshaking. When I moved to 7.2.4 recently I needed additional amplifier channels, so hooked it back into the system.

The volume is controlled from the Denon’s volume control (including the Denon iOS app). Initially I set the Arcam’s volume manually to 65 and did a manual (ear) channel volume comparison. Upped it to 70, which seemed about right (volume of 5 Arcam channels vs 6 Denon channels).

Then I ran an Audessey calibration on the Denon and that tweaked the levels just a bit (within about 1.5db). The Arcam is now set to auto set volume to 70 on power on. I’d previously switched off Audessey on the Arcam and manually set all its channel levels to 0. So all room correction, speaker distances,volume level etc are controlled by the Denon. It works a treat.

I haven’t yet setup a 12V trigger which would auto power on the Arcam when Denon powers on. It’s on my To Do list.

This saved me quite a bit as I was thinking of buying a new AVR with 11 channels plus 4 new ceiling speakers. In the end it the only cost was the ceiling speakers and the old Arcam got to get out of storage.

So any of you out there with a great multichannel amp or AVR but without Atmos or DTS:X decoders should consider buying a 2nd hand AVR with Atmos and reusing their old AVR/Amp to do the mains as above. It works a treat!
Thanks for the write up, I like the idea of tying the two receivers together. I am always impressed to read of the sweet setups people have around here.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #35 of 41 Old 07-25-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
How about the room, speaker placement and listening position?
Yes, those are all related.
post #36 of 41 Old 07-25-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 5335 Post(s)
Liked: 4835
Quote:
How about the room, speaker placement and listening position?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
Yes, those are all related.
My argument is that each of the these is more important than electronic RoomEQ.
Bill Mac likes this.
post #37 of 41 Old 07-25-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 409
OK, however you want to divide it all up. I see all room correction as one thing. You do as many physical fixes as you can, then you do signal processing for the rest. They work hand in hand.
morgiastic likes this.
post #38 of 41 Old 07-25-2019, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is fabulous!
Minidsp nano HDA!
HDMI in-pre out to amplifiers.
In the world of minimizing, this thing kicks butt!
I’m shocked more people aren’t using it as stand alone processors/preamp/dac/???/programmable remote signaling/etc etc etc
You can even add direct live if You want.
Perhaps it’s SOOO budget friendly, people need to spend more to feel better about their gear?
I don’t know, I’m just thankful I Own one, I’m sure much more expensive gear has it’s perks.

post #39 of 41 Old 08-02-2019, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
My argument is that each of the these is more important than electronic RoomEQ.
I totally agree that the room, speaker placement and listening position are a priority. No amount of room correction is going to improve a combination of a poor room, bad speaker placement and a listening position that is not well located. I've seen pictures of rooms loaded with reflective surfaces (tile, wood and glass), poorly located speakers and listening positions way off center. The owners of some of these rooms claim that room correction takes care of these issues. Not possible in my opinion.

My room is far from perfect. But the speakers are set in good locations, rug and furniture to help with reflective surfaces and a listening position that is dead center of the LCR speakers and close to center for the surrounds. Dirac helps in my room but it can only go so far.

Bill
SteveC356 likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #40 of 41 Old 08-02-2019, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 373
I use a Bluesound Vault to my Marantz 8012 for hi-res/MQA. My Oppo 203 for SACD/DVD-A/Bluray audio to my Marantz 8012.
Bluesound Node to my Yamaha 2010 for hi-res/MQA for two channel in my living room and my yard which is zone 2 off the Yamaha.
Bluesound Pulse Mini in the bedroom.
See my signature for speakers.
I've spent some money over the last ten years.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #41 of 41 Old 08-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My 25+ year old Anthem AVM 20 set to 5.1 direct with an Oppo 103.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page