Pink Floyd - The Later Years 1987-2019 Boxset - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 113Likes

post #31 of 102 Old 08-29-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I'm not picking sides but I've yet to see David do something wrong. I saw him at Joe Robbie visiting the handicapped section and greeting people (RW does this too).. I saw him swamped with people when he came out of Radio City Music hall ... they were shoving anything they could find in his face for autographs and he was patient and polite. He almost forgot to give back a pen but then he remembered.

He must get some karmic credit for the charities that he gives millions to.

-Brian

For the prices they’re charging for these boxes, he can afford it. It still doesn’t change the fact they’re a-holes with each other, no matter their outside interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
If you read up on the band and the turbulent period before the split, the main driver behind the discord was Roger. As far as the band today, I think they are in a good place. The Wall concert Blu has a lot of introspection from Roger. Through therapy and time he's come to terms with who he was then and who he is now. A lot of the back and forth on what's going on with the music has to do with various labels going under and issues with the rights. I know EMI going under has a lot do with it.

Even Dave and Roger seem cordial with one another these days. Certainly not friends, but at peace with where things are.
I’ve read differently but no one but them really knows how they’re getting along. I read all the hold ups on the surround stuff is band related, other than The Wall which supposedly had some problems with the master tapes.

There’s still too much BS involved with these guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 102 Old 08-30-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1382
As much as I like PF, unless I have a A Momentary Lapse of Reason, I'll pass on The Endless River of greed.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #33 of 102 Old 08-30-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 963
My Birthday is in Nov and I'll be getting it for myself.

The Early years set it great. (I'll never play the Vinyl but still.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 102 Old 08-30-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 3505
I pre-ordered the Later Years set at importcds. The pre-order price is $323.45 plus shipping and tax. I might go through with the order but might wait for the separate book sets are available like the Early Years set.

https://www.importcds.com/the-later-...9/190759611128

Bill
Brian Hampton and mik2h like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #35 of 102 Old 08-30-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
It still doesn’t change the fact they’re a-holes with each other, no matter their outside interests.
I'd say Gilmour and Waters are getting along much better than in years past. Recent interviews from both have them being civil and complementary to each other. Gilmour and Wright had what appeared to be a fine relationship before Wright passed in 2008. Not sure of Mason's relationship with Gilmour and Waters.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #36 of 102 Old 08-31-2019, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The pitiful sight of laserdisc

I can't wait to delete half of my laserdisc collection when I get this.

I have to assume the Delicate Sound of Thunder will be presented better than it was on laser disc. I've aways thought they had the picture quality of VHS.

And,... If I find the VHS of the Venice concert next time I visit the house in France that's getting trashed too.

-Brian
post #37 of 102 Old 09-02-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I'd say Gilmour and Waters are getting along much better than in years past. Recent interviews from both have them being civil and complementary to each other. Gilmour and Wright had what appeared to be a fine relationship before Wright passed in 2008. Not sure of Mason's relationship with Gilmour and Waters.

Bill
Thanks Bill, but I honestly don’t care that these guys are finally getting along after 30 years.

I do care about getting the surround of Meddle. It’s a disgrace that it could only be unofficially ripped from a $500 box set. I’m glad there were a few guys like you that were able to source one, but there’s a large number of us who didn’t. We would happily grab one at the ridiculous prices Floyd charges. We’d even forego the marbles and scarves to grab one.

I do care about getting the surround of Animals. When the heck is it coming out? Is there a final release date?

It would be one thing if they haven’t been done yet, but they exist right now, as we speak.

Let’s release the damn things. None of us are getting any younger.
post #38 of 102 Old 09-02-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks Bill, but I honestly don’t care that these guys are finally getting along after 30 years.

I do care about getting the surround of Meddle. It’s a disgrace that it could only be unofficially ripped from a $500 box set. I’m glad there were a few guys like you that were able to source one, but there’s a large number of us who didn’t. We would happily grab one at the ridiculous prices Floyd charges. We’d even forego the marbles and scarves to grab one.

I do care about getting the surround of Animals. When the heck is it coming out? Is there a final release date?

It would be one thing if they haven’t been done yet, but they exist right now, as we speak.

Let’s release the damn things. None of us are getting any younger.
Ok. I guess I look at that differently than you.

From what I've read the reason that the Meddle 5.1 mix was not officially released is that Waters took exception to the mix or some other issue. Not sure if that's true but it seems possible. I'd love to see the Animals 5.1 mix released as well. But as far as I know there is no actual release date set. I look at it positively as at least there is actual confirmation that Animals will be released on SACD with a 5.1 mix.

True none of us are getting any younger. But I think we all have plenty of music to listen to that will keep us distracted in the mean time .

Bill

post #39 of 102 Old 09-02-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok. I guess I look at that differently than you.

From what I've read the reason that the Meddle 5.1 mix was not officially released is that Waters took exception to the mix or some other issue. Not sure if that's true but it seems possible. I'd love to see the Animals 5.1 mix released as well. But as far as I know there is no actual release date set. I look at it positively as at least there is actual confirmation that Animals will be released on SACD with a 5.1 mix.

True none of us are getting any younger. But I think we all have plenty of music to listen to that will keep us distracted in the mean time .

Bill
I read the Waters info concerning Meddle as well. It just helps proves my point about being an a-hole, doesn’t it?

Depressingly enough, I just finished reading this. Sort of fits this discussion.

The coming death of just about every rock legend.
https://theweek.com/articles/861750/...ry-rock-legend
mcallister likes this.
post #40 of 102 Old 09-02-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Add in Obscured by Clouds 5.1 mix is also finished and now just sitting on a shelf thanks to RW, if that truly is the reason for Meddle and Obscured getting pulled from the Early Years.
Brian Hampton and ti-triodes like this.

post #41 of 102 Old 09-02-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I read the Waters info concerning Meddle as well. It just helps proves my point about being an a-hole, doesn’t it?
I really wouldn't know as I never met Roger Waters. I look at things from the fact that he's put out a lot of music over the years that I really enjoy. So in all honesty I really don't care if Waters is a jerk or not. I'm sure there are many musical artists that aren't the nicest people and not people you'd want to hang out with. Doesn't make their music any less enjoyable IMO. To each his own I guess .

Bill

post #42 of 102 Old 09-02-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 451
To be honest, I really don't see the point of this. It's one thing to pick up some titles for nostalgia's sake. I listened to Pink Floyd a lot in my high school pot smoking days. But this stuff holds absolutely no interest for me.
post #43 of 102 Old 09-03-2019, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess it's a good thing no one will force anyone to buy it. It's also ok to call it out and say why you are offended by it.

I will buy it because I want it.

Syd Died, Rick Died, At this point something new is out of the question. However, it's possible to bring existing stuff out in much higher quality than it was previously available and for the fans who are still fans the results are miraculous.

If the Final Cut was the end for you then the Later Years doesn't appeal to you. If you took a chance on more happening like I did then maybe you enjoyed the later things.

-Brian
jeahrens and ti-triodes like this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-03-2019 at 04:24 AM.
post #44 of 102 Old 09-03-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
To be honest, I really don't see the point of this. It's one thing to pick up some titles for nostalgia's sake. I listened to Pink Floyd a lot in my high school pot smoking days. But this stuff holds absolutely no interest for me.
Pink Floyd may be the most overrated rock band in history, maybe even the most overrated band that ever will be, but I still want it all in surround!
Brian Hampton and drh3b like this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #45 of 102 Old 09-03-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Pink Floyd may be the most overrated rock band in history, maybe even the most overrated band that ever will be, but I still want it all in surround!
Yeah, I can see that. I've bought some multichannel music that I never would have bought on CD. That makes sense. But four benjamins is quite a leap.
drh3b likes this.
post #46 of 102 Old 09-03-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Quote:
Everyone has their opinion. When you look at the staying power of the albums from a sales perspective it's kind of hard to argue their popularity. At the Gilmour shows I went to last he sold out both venues (not small venues either) with the attendees being teenagers to people who likely saw them live in the early '70s. So the music still has a following young and old.

And I want it all in surround as well
Brian Hampton and mik2h like this.

post #47 of 102 Old 09-03-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Yeah, I can see that. I've bought some multichannel music that I never would have bought on CD. That makes sense. But four benjamins is quite a leap.
The majority of my collection is like that, but I've grown to like a lot of it. But yes, I can't justify that much money for those albums.

Quote:
Everyone has their opinion. When you look at the staying power of the albums from a sales perspective it's kind of hard to argue their popularity. At the Gilmour shows I went to last he sold out both venues (not small venues either) with the attendees being teenagers to people who likely saw them live in the early '70s. So the music still has a following young and old.

And I want it all in surround as well
I forgot to mention that I think PF is overrated but I still love them!

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #48 of 102 Old 09-03-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really wouldn't know as I never met Roger Waters. I look at things from the fact that he's put out a lot of music over the years that I really enjoy. So in all honesty I really don't care if Waters is a jerk or not. I'm sure there are many musical artists that aren't the nicest people and not people you'd want to hang out with. Doesn't make their music any less enjoyable IMO. To each his own I guess .

Bill
I agree with you 100%.

Music is an interesting thing. It can touch us in an emotional way. It can remind us of things that happen to us in the past. We can associate music to a moment in our lives. A new love, an emotional loss, a specific moment in time- any number of things. It touches the same pleasure center of our brains that sex does. It’s easy to put the musicians that write and play music on a bit of a pedestal and make us feel we know them in some way.

In reality, we don’t know them at all. I’ve worked with a lot of musicians over the years. They’re just like the rest of us. Some are really friendly, some quiet, some noisy and some are real a-holes. With the same problems as the rest of us. They just work in a really strange work environment compared to most normal people.

From my experience, none of them belong on a pedestal. That’s why I’m fed up with this nonsense from Floyd. The mixes already exist. Just release them already.

BTW, most of the musicians I’ve talked to think audiophiles are crazy. Seriously.
drh3b likes this.
post #49 of 102 Old 09-05-2019, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I only object to the personality behind the music when it infects the music. With Pink Floyd, that happened to me with The Wall. I'm going through the Beatles' solo albums and I have to say that John Lennon made some of the most unpleasant songs I've ever heard. The problem wasn't John Lennon the musician, it was John Lennon the person.

P.S. Audiophiles *are* crazy.
mcallister and mik2h like this.
post #50 of 102 Old 09-05-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

P.S. Audiophiles *are* crazy.
Perhaps. But, it does depend on how you define the audiophile. I've heard it defined as someone who enjoys high quality audio reproduction and that's the definition I use. Others will say unless you have this or that class of equipment you can not qualify to be an audiophile and this definition I reject.

I listen to high res audio and I relax like I have never relaxed before. I get a hypnotized trace type of feeling and it can take all of my focus.

Ultimately such a setup doesn't have to be very expensive. In my case if I didn't DIY a music server then I wouldn't have very good access to these high res surround sound files.

(Stereo is a bit more accessible as an iPhone with Dragonfly DAC and Onkyo HF player can output High Res Stereo audio files.)
post #51 of 102 Old 09-05-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 82
According to MusicTAP, Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis has confirmed that a 5.1 SACD of Animals will be coming out early next year. Now that's one I've been waiting for.
Brian Hampton, Toe and mik2h like this.

post #52 of 102 Old 09-08-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 4253
Quote:
They'll have to fight for that title with Led Zeppelin. Just to be clear, I do like both.
impetigo likes this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #53 of 102 Old 09-08-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Zeppelin is just huge. They might actually deserve it. The Eagles is the band that Pink Floyd has to compete with.
post #54 of 102 Old 09-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Pink Floyd may be the most underrated rock band in history, maybe even the most underrated band that ever will be, but I still want it all in surround!

Of course you do.
There, I fixed it for you.
Love to get more surround mixes of the remaining catalog. And anything that can be done to improve the Pulse sound would be awesome, that mix contains Gilmour's Comfortably Numb solo that IMHO is the greatest rock guitar solo in history. I've been to 3 live concerts and no band has ever been better. The 1994 gig at Soldiers Field was incredible and had absolutely the best live concert sound quality I've ever heard.
Yep Waters is an a--hole with an incredible ego. GtH Roger

RIP Richard.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #55 of 102 Old 09-10-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 1606
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
They'll have to fight for that title with Led Zeppelin. Just to be clear, I do like both.
Tough crowd...

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #56 of 102 Old 09-11-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Never really understood the need to say a band or their music is underrated or overrated. Music is subjective.

The fact that Pink Floyd's catalog has maintained its popularity over the years and continues to attract new fans says more to me than anything else. How many years has Dark Side of the Moon been in the billboard top 200? The answer: over 17 years (it's number 31 right now). I've seen the tribute band, Brit Floyd, several times and they fill modestly sized arenas. What other band has a tribute band that has that kind of pull? None I've seen.

So if it's not your cup of tea and you find the music overrated, it's all good. Everyone has their preferences. I have bands I think are garbage that I'm sure others love. But Pink Floyd has had the success it has for a reason.

post #57 of 102 Old 09-11-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 4253
Quote:
Never really understood the need to say a band or their music is underrated or overrated. Music is subjective.

The fact that Pink Floyd's catalog has maintained its popularity over the years and continues to attract new fans says more to me than anything else. How many years has Dark Side of the Moon been in the billboard top 200? The answer: over 17 years (it's number 31 right now). I've seen the tribute band, Brit Floyd, several times and they fill modestly sized arenas. What other band has a tribute band that has that kind of pull? None I've seen.

So if it's not your cup of tea and you find the music overrated, it's all good. Everyone has their preferences. I have bands I think are garbage that I'm sure others love. But Pink Floyd has had the success it has for a reason.
Something can be overrated, and still be quite good. I enjoy both Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. No doubt both very good and important bands. I still think people over rate them, especially Led Zeppelin. I remember growing up, they were the best band ever! I don't think any one band can say they're the best band ever. I think The Beatles might be able to claim being the most important band ever.
I am not a fan of Pink Floyd in the sense that I have every album, but I do think DSOTM, The Wall, and Wish You Were Here are all very strong albums.
I don't think anyone, including me, is arguing that Pink Floyd isn't a great band, they are.
impetigo likes this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #58 of 102 Old 09-11-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Something can be overrated, and still be quite good. I enjoy both Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. No doubt both very good and important bands. I still think people over rate them, especially Led Zeppelin. I remember growing up, they were the best band ever! I don't think any one band can say they're the best band ever. I think The Beatles might be able to claim being the most important band ever.
I am not a fan of Pink Floyd in the sense that I have every album, but I do think DSOTM, The Wall, and Wish You Were Here are all very strong albums.
I don't think anyone, including me, is arguing that Pink Floyd isn't a great band, they are.
So they're overrated because someone rates them higher than you? Again I don't get it. While I love The Beatles and acknowledge their influence, I still enjoy Pink Floyd more. That's just my taste. I don't say The Beatles are overrated to people who feel differently. Someone else preferring something more than you <> overrated in my book. I have a fair few friends that would argue in favor of Zepplin (which I also love), but I don't think Zepplin is overrated based purely on where I put them in my own ranking.

I guess the only music I really would use overrated on is the manufactured, flash in the pan, pop stuff that is number one now, but will be long forgotten in a year.
Toe and mik2h like this.

Last edited by jeahrens; 09-11-2019 at 03:53 PM.
post #59 of 102 Old 09-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked: 3633
Quote:
So they're overrated because someone rates them higher than you? Again I don't get it. While I love The Beatles and acknowledge their influence, I still enjoy Pink Floyd more. That's just my taste. I don't say The Beatles are overrated to people who feel differently. Someone else preferring something more than you <> overrated in my book. I have a fair few friends that would argue in favor of Zepplin (which I also love), but I don't think Zepplin is overrated based purely on where I put them in my own ranking.

I guess the only music I really would use overrated on is the manufactured, flash in the pan, pop stuff that is number one now, but will be long forgotten in a year.

Agreed with your last two posts. I dont get someone saying a band like Floyd or Zep is overrated. That makes zero sense to me. Now if that individual says Pink Floyd, Zep or whatever band doesnt really do much for me then that is completely fair. I mean, I hate the Eagles, but I would never call them overrated because they clearly move TONS of people and deserve their popularity spot.

Floyd and Zep have had an absolutely massive impact on rock music and how anyone could call them overrated makes no sense at all to me.

I would love to pick up this early years set and probably will because I love Pink Floyd. Floyd, Zep, Dead, Phish (among others) are what I love and all of them deserve all the praise they get and their spot in rock history.
mcallister, Bill Mac and jeahrens like this.
post #60 of 102 Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I went to see the Wall concert back in the day. It had all the circus stuff... pigs, puppets, a wall being built in front of the stage. The thing it didn't have was any sense of being performed live. The night I went they had a technical problem with their tape machine. Whenever they played something that was prerecorded on tape, there was a hiss sound. You could clearly hear what was being performed live and what was canned. In the first half of the concert, the hiss was only during about a quarter of the show, but as the show progressed, it was there more and more, until by the last song it was solid through the whole song. This was the point in the show where the band was completely obscured by the wall... solid hiss. The whole song was on tape. The second the last brick was blocking them from view, they booked. There was no coming out in front to take bows afterwards because the band had left before the concert was even over. They were probably on the freeway in their limo when the last chord sounded. The tape machine took the bows I guess.

That is why I think Pink Floyd is overrated. Another band I saw that was mostly canned like that was Supertramp. What's the point of going to a concert to see a band mime their record? Inflatable pigs and rear projected movies of steam locomotives are no substitute for musicianship.
drh3b likes this.

Last edited by sworth; 09-13-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page