Pink Floyd - The Later Years 1987-2019 Boxset - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #61 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 918
The production values are high and yes, there is almost no improvisation.

On the other side of the spectrum you get bands like Grateful Dead where no one remembers what song they are playing.

"This sucks" - Sober person at a Grateful Dead concert.

Paul McCartney did stadiums and a few years ago toured under a fake name so he could play pubs. I thought that was cool.

I"m still impressed when a big time legendary player goes out with simply an acoustic guitar and does it in a very natural way.

Under or over rated Pink Floyd has always been my favorite. Beatles are great but PF is the best. I must be in the over rate them camp.
Bill Mac and Sal1950 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 3571
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
I went to see the Wall concert back in the day. It had all the circus stuff... pigs, puppets, a wall being built in front of the stage. The thing it didn't have was any sense of being performed live. The night I went they had a technical problem with their tape machine. Whenever they played something that was prerecorded on tape, there was a hiss sound. You could clearly hear what was being performed live and what was canned. In the first half of the concert, the hiss was only during about a quarter of the show, but as the show progressed, it was there more and more, until by the last song it was solid through the whole song. This was the point in the show where the band was completely obscured by the wall... solid hiss. The whole song was on tape. The second the last brick was blocking them from view, they booked. There was no coming out in front to take bows afterwards because the band had left before the concert was even over. They were probably on the freeway in their limo when the last chord sounded. The tape machine took the bows I guess.

That is why I think Pink Floyd is overrated. Another band I saw that was mostly canned like that was Supertramp. What's the point of going to a concert to see a band mime their record? Inflatable pigs and rear projected movies of steam locomotives are no substitute for musicianship.
If anyone should get this post its me since my two favorite bands are the Dead and Phish which have basically zero flair and are all about musicianship, but I just dont agree with you at all. Floyd shows are a different kind of concert, but art all the same. Its unfortunate you cant appreciate both types of shows.

I saw Roger Waters here in Denver a couple years ago and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen! I was blown away and would 100% go again if he comes back.
post #63 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
The production values are high and yes, there is almost no improvisation.

On the other side of the spectrum you get bands like Grateful Dead where no one remembers what song they are playing.

"This sucks" - Sober person at a Grateful Dead concert.

Paul McCartney did stadiums and a few years ago toured under a fake name so he could play pubs. I thought that was cool.

I"m still impressed when a big time legendary player goes out with simply an acoustic guitar and does it in a very natural way.

Under or over rated Pink Floyd has always been my favorite. Beatles are great but PF is the best. I must be in the over rate them camp.
Incredibly ignorant viewpoint of the Dead.
Brian Hampton and ti-triodes like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did see them once in concert.

I thought it was a mess.

But,... that's just me. I like some of the songs. Live though ... yuk.
mcallister likes this.
post #65 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 01:56 PM
Toe

Quote:
I did see them once in concert.

I thought it was a mess.

But,... that's just me. I like some of the songs. Live though ... yuk.
I saw them 36 times between 90 and 95 before Garcia died and most the shows I saw were a mess from 94 and 95 since Garcia was literally dying on stage, but that was the worst point of their career. Listen to well renowned 69-74 Dead, Spring 77, 80-81, 89-91 shows and if you cant at least appreciate that band from a musical standpoint, I question if you know anything about music in general. Not saying you have to like them, but the talent is undeniable.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, you do know the Dead are known for their live shows I assume?? When the Dead were ON there was nothing better IMO in live music. I'm guessing you havent heard good Dead and yes, there is plenty of lackluster Dead shows as well. But again, high quality live Dead was a one of a kind experience.

Last edited by Toe; 09-13-2019 at 02:09 PM.
post #66 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
I went to see the Wall concert back in the day. It had all the circus stuff... pigs, puppets, a wall being built in front of the stage. The thing it didn't have was any sense of being performed live. The night I went they had a technical problem with their tape machine.
Sorry to hear of the tech issues at your concert, I can guarantee you that was the exception rather than the rule.
Normally their live performances set the standard for rock sound quality, performed in quad surround.
Yes they use a small bit of canned content since there are some sound effects, etc; on the studio recordings that they wish to recreate in the live venue. But on the whole you'll experience the best rock has to offer in live, on stage, musicianship. There are plenty of concert videos available on DVD-BluRay to support this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #67 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Dead show I saw was Touch Of Grey tour In MIAMI Arena so that explains it.
Most likely a bad night. Things came together pretty good at the end.

Thing is if you do improvise it doesn’t always work out.

I do like quite a few of the songs.
Toe likes this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-13-2019 at 02:25 PM.
post #68 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 442
They weren't just using the tape machine for sound effects. Drum tracks and even guitar was on tape. The last whole song was on tape. I'm sure it sounds fine when the tape deck is working. But I kinda like hearing spontaneity at a live concert.
post #69 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They weren't just using the tape machine for sound effects. Drum tracks and even guitar was on tape. The last whole song was on tape. I'm sure it sounds fine when the tape deck is working. But I kinda like hearing spontaneity at a live concert.
I don't believe that.

Was this Roger Waters wall concert recently or the Pink Floyd Wall concert back in the 80's?

I guess you must be talking about the Pink Floyd Wall concerts in the 80s when you mention tape being used.

Those shows were so large that I suppose things could have gone really badly one night. Impressive you remember it so well after 40 years.
Sal1950 likes this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-13-2019 at 03:49 PM.
post #70 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Back in the 80s. Long Beach Arena. Or was it the Forum? Maybe they've had time to rehearse and learn their parts by now.

Last edited by sworth; 09-13-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #71 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Back in the 80s. Long Beach Arena. Maybe they've had time to rehearse and learn their parts by now.
Lucky you were to see that show. I wish I knew about them back then. However,.. I think you are not a fan so that's a bummer.
post #72 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like earlier Pink Floyd when they were less produced and more sloppy. It was more honest back then.
post #73 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 04:46 PM
Toe

Man, I really wish there was a blu ray only option for this set. I'm only interested in the high res surround and stereo tracks. Also, considering all the Dead collectible box sets I have like the Europe 72 trunk and so on, I really dont want all the fancy packaging. Guess I could get the set and see if I could sell everything but the blu rays, but that might be a tough sell (not sure).

EDIT....... If anyone is interested in this set minus the 6 blu ray discs, let me know. I'm thinking of selling the whole set minus the blu rays for $175. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Last edited by Toe; 09-16-2019 at 05:12 PM.
post #74 of 98 Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Quote:
I went to see the Wall concert back in the day. It had all the circus stuff... pigs, puppets, a wall being built in front of the stage. The thing it didn't have was any sense of being performed live. The night I went they had a technical problem with their tape machine. Whenever they played something that was prerecorded on tape, there was a hiss sound. You could clearly hear what was being performed live and what was canned. In the first half of the concert, the hiss was only during about a quarter of the show, but as the show progressed, it was there more and more, until by the last song it was solid through the whole song. This was the point in the show where the band was completely obscured by the wall... solid hiss. The whole song was on tape. The second the last brick was blocking them from view, they booked. There was no coming out in front to take bows afterwards because the band had left before the concert was even over. They were probably on the freeway in their limo when the last chord sounded. The tape machine took the bows I guess.

That is why I think Pink Floyd is overrated. Another band I saw that was mostly canned like that was Supertramp. What's the point of going to a concert to see a band mime their record? Inflatable pigs and rear projected movies of steam locomotives are no substitute for musicianship.
Not that everyone should read about the band, but this is a case where it would explain a lot of what is going on.

The Wall and its tour was the beginning of the end of the band's main lineup. Waters was feeling increasingly hostile towards the audience. The building of the wall between the audience and the distance the band put between themselves and the audience is a direct result of this. The breakdown between the members of the band was accelerating rapidly. Wright, keyboardist and founding member, had been fired by this point and was being employed as a session musician only. Gilmour had to fight to get some of his works included, most notably Comfortably Numb. Roger wanted to play increasingly smaller venues to limit the audience size, which was at odds with the increasing scale of the concerts (and the costs associated). Ironically the only one to make a clear profit on the whole endeavor was Wright, since his dues as a session musician were not tied to the profit of the concerts. Waters also fired their North American promoter for sharing concert details with a friend and fan that was dying of cancer. So not their highest point.

The main source of all that is Pigs Might Fly a book about the band. While I could certainly understand your opinion about the band being overrated from this tour, I think you have to realize that the band in the middle of tearing itself apart wasn't the norm. When I saw Floyd on the Pulse tour and Gimour on his recent solo tour, there was nothing but amazing musicianship and palpable energy to be found. Watching the other tours and talking with people who saw these tours reinforce that The Wall wasn't the norm. Of course I'm sure there were some Wall tour stops that were great too despite all the tension and fighting behind the scenes.
Toe, Bill Mac and Sal1950 like this.

post #75 of 98 Old 09-16-2019, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I waited too long to see them. I like early Pink Floyd a lot better than later. After a certain point (the wall) I didn't care as much for them any more. That concert finished it for me. Thankfully, not long after that, I discovered Jazz!
post #76 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Toe,

I managed to get just the Blu Ray disc from the Dark Side of the Moon immersion set from Ebay. I think it was about $20 and I was sure it was a scam but was pleasantly surprised when it was legit.

The Blu Rays in these sets tend to have EVERYTHING in terms of the content.
Toe and drh3b like this.
post #77 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 05:30 AM
Toe

Quote:
Toe,

I managed to get just the Blu Ray disc from the Dark Side of the Moon immersion set from Ebay. I think it was about $20 and I was sure it was a scam but was pleasantly surprised when it was legit.

Nice score on the blu ray from the Dark Side set! I wish I had tried that! That's another one that I only wanted the blu ray and I bought the set for it. The rest of the set is still sitting here needing to be sold.

If I cant find someone interested in buying the rest of this later years set minus the blus, I might try what you did and see if I can just get them off Ebay.
post #78 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I waited too long to see them. I like early Pink Floyd a lot better than later. After a certain point (the wall) I didn't care as much for them any more. That concert finished it for me. Thankfully, not long after that, I discovered Jazz!
Nothing wrong with Jazz and I feel the bands best material was Meddle through Animals. But even after seeing a wide variety of concerts over the years the musicianship and sheer scope of the Pulse concert is at the top for me.

I'm not trying to say your wrong for how you felt about The Wall concert, just saying that it probably isn't the best example of the band or how they generally are in concert.
Bill Mac likes this.

post #79 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Toe,

There are quite a few out there, they are rips done in the Russian Federation on record-able BluRays, notice the purple color of the date side.
I've got like 5-6 of them, all seem to be bit perfect rips of the original and play perfectly

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #80 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
There are quite a few out there, they are rips done in the Russian Federation on record-able BluRays, notice the purple color of the date side.
I've got like 5-6 of them, all seem to be bit perfect rips of the original and play perfectly
Mine is definitely a Blu Ray disc and doesn't appear to be a different color than the WYWH disc from the Immersion box set that I bought complete.

I guess if it's bit perfect to the original it's not the worst of fate... I also have the SACD and I don't use either disc after extracting the files from the Blu Ray version.

-Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	2616812  

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-17-2019 at 10:39 AM.
post #81 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mine is definitely a Blu Ray disc and doesn't appear to be a different color than the WYWH disc from the Immersion box set that I bought complete.

I guess if it's bit perfect to the original it's not the worst of fate... I also have the SACD and I don't use either disc after extracting the files from the Blu Ray version.
-Brian
Yep, your right, that's an original disc from the Immersion Set. You got super lucky to get that for $20, an unheard of price for the Real McCoy

post #82 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
But even after seeing a wide variety of concerts over the years the musicianship and sheer scope of the Pulse concert is at the top for me.
They've had enough time to rehearse I guess!
post #83 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They've had enough time to rehearse I guess!
No argument there .

Helps that post breakup the band ended up in a good place. Guy Pratt, the new bassist, stuck with the band from AMLoR to the Endless River. Similarly Jon Carin was brought on board post breakup to help with keyboard duties and has played with the band since. Both Carin and Pratt played with Gilmour on his solo efforts On An Island and Rattle that Lock. Carin even played with Roger on some of his tours, which makes sense as he could obviously get Wright's style correct. Wright was a part of David's solo efforts and Pink Floyd up until his passing in 2008. The song A Boat Lies Waiting on Rattle That Lock is a tribute by David to Rick. Mason remained friends with both camps and continues to work with both David and Roger.

Even though you've moved on the Pulse DVD, and Gilmour's solo Blu Rays Live in Pompei and Remember that Night will give you a good idea of what a post The Wall Pink Floyd is like live. Remember that Night is good one to watch as it has performances with Graham Nash, David Crosby and the late great David Bowie.

post #84 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 02:54 PM
Toe

Pompeii and Remember That Night are both fantastic! Pompeii is definitely better from an A/V perspective, but both are excellent.
post #85 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Yep, your right, that's an original disc from the Immersion Set. You got super lucky to get that for $20, an unheard of price for the Real McCoy
It is a great price if it's from the original DSOTM Immersion set. My only concern would be if it's one of the Blu-rays that are prone to fail over time. Hopefully that's not the case.

I submitted a request to have my DSOTM Blu-ray replaced at the very end of the replacement program. I was shipped a new Blu-ray without having to mail my original Blu-ray back. So who knows how many of the possibly defective DSOTM Blu-rays are out there.

Bill
Brian Hampton and IronWaffle like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #86 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Pompeii and Remember That Night are both fantastic! Pompeii is definitely better from an A/V perspective, but both are excellent.
I have the Pompeii and Remember That Night Blu-rays. I prefer the Remember That Night Blu-ray as far as the song selection and the artists featured. Most importantly that Richard Wright is there. I also prefer the SQ of the Remember That Night Blu-ray as well. Royal Albert Hall compared to an open air venue.

I haven't watched either one in quite awhile. I'll have to make some time to watch both. Irregardless of any preferences both shows are excellent with great performances and SQ.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #87 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I have the Pompeii and Remember That Night Blu-rays. I prefer the Remember That Night Blu-ray as far as the song selection and the artists featured. Most importantly that Richard Wright is there. I also prefer the SQ of the Remember That Night Blu-ray as well. Royal Albert Hall compared to an open air venue.

I haven't watched either one in quite awhile. I'll have to make some time to watch both. Irregardless of any preferences both shows are excellent with great performances and SQ.

Bill

Certainly agree with you on the song selection/artist featured, but definitely disagree on the recording/mix quality. Pompeii to my ears clearly has a better mix (surround) and just sounds better IMO. Pompeii also has far superior PQ of the two
Bill Mac likes this.

Last edited by Toe; 09-17-2019 at 11:51 PM.
post #88 of 98 Old 09-18-2019, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting note about the disc failing. I had not heard of that with anything but WB HDDVDs and Laserdiscs.

I know my disc is ok for now because I recently used it. I had originally made FLAC files out of the content but more recently made MKV files because I play them back using a different setup.

-Brian

p.s. The PQ of Remember that night is sometimes horrible. That is for sure. It varies.
Bill Mac likes this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-18-2019 at 02:16 AM.
post #89 of 98 Old 09-18-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Certainly agree with you on the song selection/artist featured, but definitely disagree on the recording/mix quality. Pompeii to my ears clearly has a better mix (surround) and just sounds better IMO. Pompeii also has far superior PQ of the two
I'll have to play both soon and pay more attention to the SQ. It's been so long since I've listened to Remember That Night that you're probably correct in regard to the overall SQ and PQ.

Quote:
Interesting note about the disc failing. I had not heard of that with anything but WB HDDVDs and Laserdiscs.

I know my disc is ok for now because I recently used it. I had originally made FLAC files out of the content but more recently made MKV files because I play them back using a different setup.

-Brian

p.s. The PQ of Remember that night is sometimes horrible. That is for sure. It varies.
Unfortunately the defective DSOTM Blu-rays just stop playing with no apparent cause. Check out the link below from the Steve Hoffman forum.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ailure.622880/

Bill
Toe, ti-triodes and IronWaffle like this.

Last edited by Bill Mac; 09-18-2019 at 05:36 AM.
post #90 of 98 Old 09-18-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Unfortunately the defective DSOTM Blu-rays just stop playing with no apparent cause. Check out the link below from the Steve Hoffman forum.
Bill
That's terrible.

I guess I'm triple lucky because I got the real one from Ebay, it still works, and I have the content backed up as both FLAC and MKV.

I guess I'll back up the actual Blu Ray itself.
IronWaffle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page