Which soundtrack(s) to keep when ripping Blu-Ray discs? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-30-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which soundtrack(s) to keep when ripping Blu-Ray discs?

For my home theater, I rip my Blu-Ray discs and serve them through Plex. The client is an Nvidia Shield connected to the TV.

With Blu-Ray discs, I often have a choice of soundtracks in different formats: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital +, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA, DTS:X, LPCM, ... and with different channel count (2.0, 5.1, 7.1, ...).

So far, when ripping a disk, I've taken whatever the highest quality soundtrack is, usually the DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD soundtrack (each of which embeds a lower-resolution audio track if I'm not mistaken) in 5.1 or 7.1, and left the others out. I figured that this way, I'd save some space, and make the Plex UI less cluttered (no need to select the "right" soundtrack out of a giant list).

I figured that if I'm listening to the soundtrack in stereo for instance (TV with only 2 speakers, headphones, ...), then Plex will take care of down-mixing (e.g. 5.1 -> 2.0) and transcoding (e.g. DTS-HD MA -> Dolby Digital Pro Logic II). Or is it the client (Nvidia Shield) that takes care of the down-mixing? I'm a bit out of my depth here.

Anyway, is that a sound strategy (ha ha, what a great pun) - only keeping the highest resolution soundtrack, and let the hardware / software adapt? What's yours, and why? I figured that Plex can just down-mix and transcode as needed, but assuming a stereo playback for instance, is that going to be qualitatively as good as just grabbing the Dolby Digital 2.0 track from the disk, which could have had some rebalancing / further processing of the audio in order to maintain or improve the auditory experience?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-31-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 451
That's what I do. Although I usually keep a PCM stereo version if it's available, just to make sure it's backward compatible. Haven't needed it yet, but you never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page