AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Surround Music Formats (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/)
-   -   Prince Sign O The Times (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/3090142-prince-sign-o-times.html)

sworth 09-11-2019 10:49 AM

Prince Sign O The Times

It looks like the German blu-ray is sold out before it's even released. It's a four disc set (2 BD, 2 DVD) The sound is in Atmos and Auro-3D (does anyone know what that is?) In addition to the concert film, there's a feature length documentary and extensive interviews. I pre-ordered my copy last Spring, and it's scheduled to ship this Friday. Amazon.de has stopped taking pre-orders, and the price of the set is starting to climb on eBay. Should be interesting.

Here's a translation of the description of the set...

Large format booklet with text by Prince expert Edgar Kruize and a foreword by Dr. Ing. Funkenberry; Bonus Blu-ray Disc / DVD with interview long versions
The legendary 1987 concert film by and with Prince - remastered on Blu-ray Disc with sound in Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D + DVD! Deluxe Edition in 12 "package with 90-minute interview documentary" Prince - The Peach & Black Times "+ Exclusive audio commentary from The Peach And Black Podcast + Bonus Blu-ray Disc and DVD with over two hours of extra interviews + large format booklet + DIN A1 movie poster + 5 b / w photos

Language / Sound: English HD-DTS MA 2.0, English Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital 5.1 compatible), English Auro-3D 11.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 7.1 compatible), English DD 2.0, English DD 5.1

Picture format: 1.78: 1 (1080p / 16: 9)

Subtitles: German (Dialogues), English (Lyrics)

impetigo 09-12-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworth (Post 58542954)
The legendary 1987 concert film by and with Prince - remastered on Blu-ray Disc with sound in Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D + DVD! Deluxe Edition in 12 "package with 90-minute interview documentary" Prince - The Peach & Black Times "+ Exclusive audio commentary from The Peach And Black Podcast + Bonus Blu-ray Disc and DVD with over two hours of extra interviews + large format booklet + DIN A1 movie poster + 5 b / w photos

Would love to get Prince's studio albums in surround. Looks like the SDE of 1999 announced yesterday has nothing in surround sadly.

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...ased-material/

sworth 09-12-2019 05:22 PM

Prince was even better live than in the studio. He had an incredible band. I think they are hesitant to do the studio stuff in surround because they don't want to mess with his mixes. He was very particular about that and he supervised it all himself.

JJHXBR 09-14-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworth (Post 58549418)
Prince was even better live than in the studio.

To each there own on this one. I personally like the studio version of an artist in most cases vs the live performance. There are of course exceptions to this where the live performace is just beyond stellar and a highlight of their career. Things that really turn me off to live concerts is when the artist stops the song part way through and starts talking or when they don't sing and have the crowd song the song. Not good, IMO. In that case please give me the studio version in Hi-Res Surround!!

sworth 09-15-2019 11:41 AM

Well, I can think of quite a few performers and groups who you couldn't fully appreciate without hearing their live recordings... Zappa, Springsteen, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Tom Petty, Little Feat, Allman Bros, Parliament/Funkadelc, Ray Charles, etc. Performers who were improvisational (particularly guitar players) and ones that were willing to jam and rethink and rearrange their songs in different ways are usually better live. Studio bands are usually more constructed and less dynamic and impulsive. They're better in the studio.

Prince was a monster on stage, and his band was incredibly tight. This particular live concert definitely *is* one of the peaks of his career.

JJHXBR 09-15-2019 01:39 PM

First off I'm not even talking about studio bands. All of the artists you have listed are indeed great live performers but have also put out great studio albums as well. All I'm saying is personally given the majority of songs off their albums, I would rather hear the studio verson than the live version. Nothing more. I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to the live recordings of artists or that you couldn't fully appreciate without hearing their live recordings. Everybody has their own personal taste, I've stated mine. I also own the "Prince - Sign O The Times" Blu-ray (I have the Dolby TrueHD version) and have played it once. Like one of our other members stated "Would love to get Prince's studio albums in surround."

JJHXBR 09-23-2019 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Prince / Sign ‘O’ The Times movie deluxe edition – unboxed

SDE unboxes the recent four-disc deluxe edition of Prince‘s 1987 Sign ‘O’ The Times movie and is very impressed with the large format package.

Sign ‘O’ The Times is out now. A few things to be aware of with this release. The documentary and bonus interviews are in English with German subtitles. The video on the DVD is region locked to ‘2’ and the blu-rays to ‘B’.

SIGN O THE TIMES CONCERT FILM - 4-DISC DELUXE

Features:
-2 Blu-ray Discs + 2 DVDs
-Blu-ray Disc with audio in Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D 11.1 + Original Stereo Mix
-Newly commissioned artwork by Martin Homent Art who already was responsible for the cover art of the Prince albums “Hitnrun Phase One + Two”
-Packaging in 12″ LP format + heart shaped sticker + large-size booklet + DIN A1 theatrical poster + 5 b/w photos
-Newly commissioned interview documentary “Prince – The Peach & Black Times” by Naomi Holwill and Calum Waddell (High Rising Productions) with Dr. Fink (keyboards), Susan Rogers (sound engineer), Steve Purcell (editor), Leroy Bennett (stage and lighting design), Gert de Bruijn & Michiel Hoogeboezom (sound engineers), Dave Rusan (Rusan Guitarworks) and Edgar Kruize, author of Prince: The Dutch Experience
-Exclusive audio commentary by The Peach and Black Podcast
-Booklet with new writing by Prince expert Edgar Kruize and a foreword by Dr. Funkenberry (DR. FUNKENBERRY’S CELEBRITY NEWS FAN PAGE)
-Bonus Blu-ray Disc and DVD with over two hours of extended interview versions

Blu-ray disc
Video: 1080p24 Full HD (1.78:1)
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo, Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital 5.1 compatible), Auro-3D 11.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 7.1 compatible)
Subtitles: feature film: German (dialogues), English (lyrics), bonus material: German (optional)

DVD
Video: 16:9 anamorphic (PAL)
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Feature film: German (dialogues), English (lyrics) Bonus material: German (optional)

Setlist
1. Intro
2. Sign “O” the Times
3. Play in the Sunshine
4. Little Red Corvette
5. Housequake
6. Slow Love
7. I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
8. Hot Thing
9. Now’s the Time
10. U Got the Look (music video)
11. If I Was Your Girlfriend
12. Forever in My Life / It
13. It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night
14. The Cross
15. Sign “O” the Times (instrumental)

You can read all about it here: https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/v...d/#more-153181

sworth 09-24-2019 05:55 PM

Do you have the previous release of this film to compare to? I would like to know if the sound mix is an improvement over the previous release. I really don't care about talking head interviews. I want the feature itself to be an improvement. Apparently the video part is basically the same as the past release.

gbaby 10-23-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworth (Post 58549418)
Prince was even better live than in the studio. He had an incredible band. I think they are hesitant to do the studio stuff in surround because they don't want to mess with his mixes. He was very particular about that and he supervised it all himself.

This is true. Anyone who believes otherwise simply has not seen Prince live. I saw him and Chaka Khan live in Raleigh, North Carolina in 2011. I was one aisle from the front row. The music was so accurate and well equalized, it put me in a transcendental moment. When I reflect on it, Im still in awe. I have never heard anything like it sense that time. It sounded better than any studio recordings I've heard and the music could be felt in your guts. Prince was the real deal and much better that Michael Jackson who I have also seen.