Gene Clark - ‘No Other’ Box Set with 5.1 SACD & Blu-Ray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Milt99

post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Gene Clark - ‘No Other’ Box Set with 5.1 SACD & Blu-Ray

American singer-songwriter and Byrds founding member Gene Clark’s 1974 solo album No Other is to be reissued by 4AD in November as a lavish box set which features no fewer than three SACDs, a blu-ray and an 80-page hardcover book!

Originally released on Asylum Records, a year after the Byrds shortlived reunion, Clark’s psychedelic rock, folk, country and soul record cost a small fortune to make and despite being well received critically, it was a flop. It is said that Clark never really recovered from this blow.

Since then, the album has gained greater prominence via a few reissues and has become recognised as a great album of its era.

4AD have remastered the eight-track album at Abbey Road and are reissuing it on CD and vinyl, but of interest to SDE readers will be an ‘extremely limited’ deluxe box set which contains the album on silver-coloured vinyl, three SACDs, an exclusive seven-inch single, and a blu-ray disc – which includes HD versions of all tracks, a 5.1 surround mix of the album, the original 1974 vinyl master and an exclusive documentary by Paul Kendall (the director of the 2013 film, The Byrd Who Flew Alone: The Triumphs and Tragedy of Gene Clark) – and a hardbound 80 page book which features essays, extensive liner notes and previously unseen photos.

All the SACDs are hybrid, meaning you can play the stereo audio on normal CD players. The first (multi-layer) SACD is presented in an exclusive Japanese vinyl replica sleeve and features the eight-track album and the 5.1 surround mix, while two further SACDs offer 18 session tracks and a couple of seven-inch edits. Amongst the sessions is a recording of ‘Train Leaves Here This Morning,’ an Eagles hit in 1972, written by Gene and Eagles founding member Bernie Leadon.

As well as being home to the documentary, the blu-ray offers all the stereo content on the three SACDs, plus the 5.1 mix, the 1974 ‘vinyl master’ of the album and an exclusive 2019 stereo remix. The 5.1 and stereo remix is by Neil Wilkes and B.J. Cole at Opus Productions (everything is 24/96).

All the studio takes have been worked on and mixed by the duo of Gene Clark aficionado, author and Long Ryders frontman Sid Griffin and John Wood, the producer famed for his work with the likes of Fairport Convention, Nick Drake & Sandy Denny. No track has been edited or composited in any way so what you hear is exactly what went down in the studio before any overdubbing took place.

As well as the box set there’s a special 2CD hardcover book edition (with a selection of sessions) and a black vinyl LP version.

SACD 1: No Other (Remastered) + 5.1 surround mix

1. Life’s Greatest Fool
2. Silver Raven
3. No Other
4. Strength Of Strings
5. From A Silver Phial
6. Some Misunderstanding
7. The True One
8. Lady Of The North

Blu-ray

Documentary: The Byrd Who Flew Alone: The Making of No Other by Paul Kendall

No Other (Alternate Audio Versions)
No Other (HD Audio Remaster)
No Other (5.1 Surround Mix)
No Other (1974 Vinyl Master)
No Other (2019 Stereo Remix)

No Other is released on 8 November 2019.

Available as pre-order on Amazon for $125.84

You can read about the whole thing here:https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...t/#more-152905

While I find these Super Deluxe Boxs Sets to expensive for my taste, I'm happy to see 5.1 Surround music being released on SACD and Blu-Ray. Like most people I wish they would do stand alone Blu-Ray audio's and SACD's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noother_480.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2617532   Click image for larger version

Name:	4AD0071MXX-geneclark-boxset-digital-mockup-02.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2617534  

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K 4X M7 surround speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs
Processor - Marantz 8805 - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI - Oppo BDP-103+203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - QNAP TR-004 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-23-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Hey, JJ.
Your post has set this forum on fire!
BTW, although this set contains formats I don't use, vinyl.
I'm of the opinion that these unicorn releases merit my money.

I'm not really familiar with this recording but since it's release I've read critic's praises.
I've always loved Gene Clark's songwriting and voice.
I have been listening to it after I pre-ordered. Certainly hilites etc.
Even with the limitation of my Sonos system, it is very organically recorded.

This is a Super-Duper Deluxe Edition.
3 SACDs & a Blu-ray!?!
Plus a Japanese print of the album cover.
Back when I collected Japanese vinyl, I loved the extreme quality of the packaging.

Fact is, hi-res & surround buyers bemoan the fact that most releases do not have stand alone digital versions.
Understandable, but depending on the company releasing the product, they do what they feel will return the most revenue for their considerable investment.
Call it a gouge if you want, it won't change anything.
JJHXBR likes this.

post #3 of 3 Old 11-14-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Received mine on Monday.
Gorgeous set.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats