Dolby Atmos Music arrives on Amazon Music HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 01-29-2020, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Well so far this a joke. The Echo Studio. That's not ATMOS.
Amar Bose eat your heart out

If this approach gets Atmos to take off and become a universal format well its time to get on the Echo Studio train.

Big, big play by Amazon where they could take out Apple who insists on 16 bit audio CD standard as the be all and end all.

Hate to say it, but they are keeping the eye on the ball targeting deluxe housewife kitchen speakers. Oh baby imagine your home theater with Echo Studio Atmos.

-The single digits are where the magic lies.....they deliver a 'touch of god' sensation that sometimes makes the hairs on one's arms stand up. It's hard to describe but it feels like you are there in the recording studio with the artist and "feeling" them move as they are playing the instrument. You can't see them, but you can feel them as movements are happening on the floor below you. - trhought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 01-30-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 1532

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #33 of 49 Old 02-03-2020, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is this atmos music a proprietary amazon gimmick? I'm curious as to how that would sound. Do you hear like someone playing a guitar over your head or drums or is it just an ambience? Sounds odd. I have a fair number of dts surround and DVD audio/bluray audio cds and most of them sound great. But that format just doesn't seem as weird as overhead music. Some bands I've seen in concert actually used speakers in the back of the crowd for added effects and such. Pink floyd being one such band. By the way the dts surround mix of wish you were here is pretty awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 02-04-2020, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman61 View Post
Is this atmos music a proprietary amazon gimmick?
This is difficult to determine without the ability to output the 'Atmos' encoded audio stream to a conventional Atmos set-up, instead of one of those R2D2 speakers
sdrucker likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #35 of 49 Old 02-04-2020, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman61 View Post
Is this atmos music a proprietary amazon gimmick? I'm curious as to how that would sound. Do you hear like someone playing a guitar over your head or drums or is it just an ambience? Sounds odd. I have a fair number of dts surround and DVD audio/bluray audio cds and most of them sound great. But that format just doesn't seem as weird as overhead music. Some bands I've seen in concert actually used speakers in the back of the crowd for added effects and such. Pink floyd being one such band. By the way the dts surround mix of wish you were here is pretty awesome.
Real ATMOS is not weird nor is it a gimmick. While 5.1 surrounds you, ATMOS envelopes you in the surround.

Plus if your system doubles for movies, it's also spectacular when paired with 4k.
captainbrent likes this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #36 of 49 Old 02-09-2020, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 677
And here I am waiting for Atmos music to be available on bluray audio.
Robbie Racer and CalJake like this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
post #37 of 49 Old 02-10-2020, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
And here I am waiting for Atmos music to be available on bluray audio.
Sadly there's not much

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #38 of 49 Old 02-18-2020, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Sadly, there are Two Very Different things:

Music in Dolby Atmos
Like a film soundtrack in Dolby Atmos codec format. The sound is a song or an album as usual, in multichannel/objects format.

Dolby Atmos Music
Just a brand name that uses the known word "Atmos" from Dolby to name a "minor" codec to deliver two channel music to "smart gadgets" (phones, headphones, amazon echo studio, etc.) with the promise of beeing surround sound (virtualized).

People with Home Theater installation with height speakers Want the first One.

The recent announcements of Dolby partnership with Universal Studios for future music production, Amazon and Tidal services, are the Second One. I'm not interested at all.

What a pitty!
weekendtoy, elee532 and CalJake like this.

AVR: Denon AVC X8500H (Atmos 7.1.6, DTS:X, Auro-3D 13.1)
DPY: Optoma UHZ65 / Lumene Majestic Premium 270C / TV LG C9
Ply:: Dune HD Solo 4K / Dune HD PRO 4K / Oppo 203 / Fire Stick 4K
SPs: Pulsar Audio Ambiente 7 /Ambiente Center /Master M5 /Access AC / B&W CCM 683
Oth: HDFury Vertex2
post #39 of 49 Old 02-21-2020, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYanguas View Post
Sadly, there are Two Very Different things:

Music in Dolby Atmos

Dolby Atmos Music

I didn’t know that. Makes you wonder if the marketing people at Dolby are extremely smart or extremely stupid for confusing the end users and potentially devaluating the brand.

On the other hand Dolby Atmos Music seems to be as well about mixing tracks using 3D sound objects. At least that is what I am taking from their statements e.g. here:
If that is the case it may help us getting Music in Dolby Atmos eventually. Just hoping ...
AYanguas likes this.
post #40 of 49 Old 02-21-2020, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermib View Post
I didn’t know that. Makes you wonder if the marketing people at Dolby are extremely smart or extremely stupid for confusing the end users and potentially devaluating the brand.

On the other hand Dolby Atmos Music seems to be as well about mixing tracks using 3D sound objects. At least that is what I am taking from their statements e.g. here: https://youtu.be/385V3rwVTcc
If that is the case it may help us getting Music in Dolby Atmos eventually. Just hoping ...
The problem is while that might be what they're saying to tie in the tech with what is commonly considered Dolby Atmos, if the only licensees of Dolby Atmos Music are companies restrict it to a mobile platform or what would otherwise be a two-channel speaker, we don't know if this is something comparable to what "Music in Atmos" actually is on, say, the R.E.M. or Hans Zimmer releases. Hence for HT enthusiasts, it's a non-starter for our systems at the moment.
AYanguas and weekendtoy like this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #41 of 49 Old 02-22-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
The problem is while that might be what they're saying to tie in the tech with what is commonly considered Dolby Atmos, if the only licensees of Dolby Atmos Music are companies restrict it to a mobile platform or what would otherwise be a two-channel speaker, we don't know if this is something comparable to what "Music in Atmos" actually is on, say, the R.E.M. or Hans Zimmer releases. Hence for HT enthusiasts, it's a non-starter for our systems at the moment.

So does that mean that Music compiled with the Dolby Atmos Music editing packages will only be rendered on such mobil devices due to licensing restrictions that are enforced by Dolby or is that just due to the choice of people like Amazon that want to focus and limit any licenses on the mobile devices for the moment?

My optimism may be entirely unfounded. It just looks like all the required components are in place to make Music in Atmos happen. Somehow I want to believe that it wont just fail because the acting parties are ignorant or follow an evil agenda.
post #42 of 49 Old 02-23-2020, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermib View Post
...It just looks like all the required components are in place to make Music in Atmos happen. ...
Actually the required components were in place since the first movie with sound in Dolby Atmos was released for home. They can mix any kind of sound including music.

As @sdrucker says, there must be a licensing issue to release the "cheaper" Dolby Atmos Music for 2 speaker gadget devices, instead of the full Music in Dolby Atmos for HT via streaming services like Amazon. Currently the last are still very few releases of music and it is delivered only via Bluray discs, with the exception of Matt Darey who sells its amazing Atmos renders via downloadable files from his web site.

I hope also that Dolby strategy would be a good one to make evolve the market demand for Dolby Atmos in music, by delivering the 2 speaker gadgets for the mainstream mass first. The same productions could eventually be rendered as true Dolby Atmos and delivered later, possibly at a higher price level.

SPs: Pulsar Audio Ambiente 7 /Ambiente Center /Master M5 /Access AC / B&W CCM 683
post #43 of 49 Old 02-23-2020, 06:13 AM

You are absolutely right. I hope that people recognize that the environment is much different from the times some artists released 5.1 versions of their tracks on DVD, which never got much traction. However, at the time the standard way of music delivery was the CD and causal hearing happened via FM radio or a Walkman. None of which was able to reproduce the advanced formats. So lets hope the industry realizes that this is the time for moving beyond 2ch stereo.
mavericks64 likes this.
post #44 of 49 Old 03-27-2020, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 2652
Dolby says Pearl Jam’s new album Gigaton is on Amazon in Atmos. Unfortunately, Atmos still seems to be locked to the one speaker.
post #45 of 49 Old 05-16-2020, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Dolby says Pearl Jam’s new album Gigaton is on Amazon in Atmos. Unfortunately, Atmos still seems to be locked to the one speaker.
Is this still true? Not the Pearl Jam part, but the Atmos on the one speaker part.

Gear Front Stage: Polk LSiM 707s Ctr: LSiM 706c
Srd: LSiM 703s Ht: 700-LS Rears: Cheap Infinity book shelves
Amps: Marantz SR6014 and MM7055
Sony Ubp-X800M2, Xbox, Sony 75" X900F
post #46 of 49 Old 05-16-2020, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhikingboots View Post
Is this still true? Not the Pearl Jam part, but the Atmos on the one speaker part.
AFAIK, Atmos on Amazon is still limited the the Echo Studio speaker.
post #47 of 49 Old 05-16-2020, 03:27 PM

It seems like it would be so easy to at least make this available on the firetv stick for home theatre setups. They might even sell more of the echo speakers as interest in the format would likely increase. Fingers crossed.

post #48 of 49 Old 05-17-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhikingboots View Post
It seems like it would be so easy to at least make this available on the firetv stick for home theatre setups. They might even sell more of the echo speakers as interest in the format would likely increase. Fingers crossed.
Perhaps, home theatre people (very few) and echo speakers people (potentially very much) are two different and separated targets.

It's not a technical issue. It's a market issue.

Lets hope the mass target people (echo speaker) helps to drive the inccrease of true Music in Dolby Atmos for home theatre.

post #49 of 49 Old 05-17-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYanguas View Post
Perhaps, home theatre people (very few) and echo speakers people (potentially very much) are two different and separated targets.

It's not a technical issue. It's a market issue.

Lets hope the mass target people (echo speaker) helps to drive the inccrease of true Music in Dolby Atmos for home theatre.
I get that it's a marketing issue, and that as an art major in college, I have only one very shaky little leg to stand on when comes to any real insight into the matter of marketing, however...my point is that the home theatre market (relatively few, but very passionate about the possibilities), could drive the echo speaker, and potentially the so called Atmos soundbar people (relatively very large, but less passionate about the format), to a possible sustainable profitable model. New rabbit holes appear for new consumers. Profits soar.
AYanguas and weekendtoy like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page