• 1 Post By rdgrimes

post #1 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi-Res Audio Streaming

Good day,

I have researched a few of the standout hi-res streaming platforms i.e. Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer HiFi, and Amazon HD. They are all offering free trials, some of which even offer a 3 month trial which is very enticing. However, there are several factors that will determine which service I will try out.

- Price
- FLAC 24-bit up to 192 kHz availability
- Device compatibility
- Music catalog
- Sound Quality

My setup is as follows.

- Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX45 (hi-res audio functionality),Airplay.
- Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series - 5.1 Surround Sound
- Amazon Fire TV Cube
- ATT Fiber (averaging 400Mbps download on most devices)
- OnePlus 7 Pro (HD playback)

Right now, I can Airplay from my Mac or iPad Pro to my Receiver but I believe Airplay is restricted to CD quality audio (16bit / 44.1kHz) and Bluetooth is much the same. The Fire TV Cube will likely output audio at 320Kbps.

I want to experience the highest available audio (24-bit up to 192 kHz) wirelessly without having to buy any additional hardwired components. Can anyone advise what I can do to achieve the best possible audio?

Thanks in advance.
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3190
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeverdon View Post
I want to experience the highest available audio (24-bit up to 192 kHz) wirelessly without having to buy any additional hardwired components. Can anyone advise what I can do to achieve the best possible audio?

Thanks in advance.
Lee
Forget streaming services if you really want the best possible audio. They don't tell you the source of the audio they are sending out, most of it is probably upscaled from CD sources. Download files from any one of the available sources, buy SACD's, but blu-ray audio discs, etc. Of course you'll need a player for most of that, unless the receiver is able to playback files from network or USB.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Forget streaming services if you really want the best possible audio. They don't tell you the source of the audio they are sending out, most of it is probably upscaled from CD sources. Download files from any one of the available sources, buy SACD's, but blu-ray audio discs, etc. Of course you'll need a player for most of that, unless the receiver is able to playback files from network or USB.
NEWS FLASH!

Calling all fans of high fidelity! Deezer has just taken FLAC quality sound to every device. Wherever you are, Deezer HiFi is now bringing 52 million tunes to your mobile or web.

All of Deezer’s HiFi tracks can be downloaded, so you don’t have to compromise on quality when you listen to music offline. Plug in your high fidelity headphones and you’ll also get these added features with Deezer HiFi:

- Over 52 million songs all in FLAC quality
- No adverts interrupting your tunes
- Download all tracks, playlists or mixes and listen offline
- Listen on FLAC supported devices, including Android, iOS, web & desktop
- Groundbreaking 360 Reality Audio tracks in the ‘360 by Deezer’ app

I will be trying this out now, 3 month trial period then $14.99 a month. Very reasonable.
SteveC356 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-19-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeverdon View Post
NEWS FLASH!

Calling all fans of high fidelity! Deezer has just taken FLAC quality sound to every device. Wherever you are, Deezer HiFi is now bringing 52 million tunes to your mobile or web.

All of Deezer’s HiFi tracks can be downloaded, so you don’t have to compromise on quality when you listen to music offline. Plug in your high fidelity headphones and you’ll also get these added features with Deezer HiFi:

- Over 52 million songs all in FLAC quality
- No adverts interrupting your tunes
- Download all tracks, playlists or mixes and listen offline
- Listen on FLAC supported devices, including Android, iOS, web & desktop
- Groundbreaking 360 Reality Audio tracks in the ‘360 by Deezer’ app

I will be trying this out now, 3 month trial period then $14.99 a month. Very reasonable.

How funny!!

What is "flac quality"? I can record my 1912 scratchy old Edison recordings using my daughters hasbro plastic microphone to my benchmark ADC set to 192khz/24 bit in flac. What is the point? Are they going to verify that ALL of these 52 million songs were originally recorded in this "quality"? Are they going to run into the same issue as Amazon that they are not making software that can play back their "quality" files?
SeeMoreDigital, CalJake and thehun like this.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #5 of 5 Old 11-19-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3190
Just goes to show that marketing works.
thehun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats