Amazon Music Ultra HD... WTH!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By kkelley
  • 2 Post By sworth
  • 1 Post By PlanetAVS
  • 1 Post By kkelley

post #1 of 18 Old 11-25-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Amazon Music Ultra HD... WTH!!

I just signed up for a 30 day free trial of the Amazon Music Ultra HD services. Was really excited to find what I had hoped was an easy way to stream high quality music in a way so simple that would pass the WAF test...

Anyways, I got it all running on my plenty capable system (Marantz SR7021 at heart) only to find that Amazon bottlenecks the quality with their own hardware... #$%#$!!! I am streaming through the FireTV Cube and it limits to 44.1kHz throughput... As far as I can tell none of the Amazon hardware supports streaming at the higher rate.

So....what is the best way to get the highest quality up to 192KHz streaming of the Amazon service into my Marantz? I really don't want to drag a laptop over every time I want higher res audio. Is there an Amazon box I am missing? another way to stream the content?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I have this on the wrong forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-25-2019, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Ok figured it out.... OMG Heos heos heos!!! Hi Rez and aggregates the streaming sources I use. I thought it was just a multi room solution -much more and just works!
Robbie Racer likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-25-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkelley View Post
Ok figured it out.... OMG Heos heos heos!!! Hi Rez and aggregates the streaming sources I use. I thought it was just a multi room solution -much more and just works!

So does it sound better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7.2.4 l Epson 5040ub Projector l Oppo 203 Blu Ray player l Denon AVR-X4300h l Def Tec BP9080 LR/Front Atmos l Def Tec CS9080 C l Def Tec SR9080 SL/SR/SBL/SBR l Monoprice 6.5 Rear Atmos l SVS PB-2000 dual setup l Panamax M5400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-26-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
So does it sound better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Better than what?

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #5 of 18 Old 11-27-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Better than what?
Thinking "better than going through any Fire TV device". And the answer is YES. If I use HEOS directly from my Marantz music can stream full hi rex whereas the FireTV devices choke the stream down. On my system I can clearly hear a big difference and the music is much more immersive. I have been at this for many years and was shocked to see how easy it was to get going.... You need a HEOS compatible receiver of course.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-27-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can't find a solution to gettingU Amazon Ultra HD our my avr. I feel like I have so many components yet none can allow me to achieve it.
I assume my only hope is Pioneer updates the Amazon Music App on my AVR someday, or Apple TV somehow addresses it (which seems unlikely).
Connecting a computer to my AVR is not doable currently
I have Echo spots but no way to get digital signal out to avr.
There doesn't seem to be a simple solution!

Sony XBR A1E OLED, Pioneer Elite SCLX502 AVR, ATV4K, Sony UBP800 BR, PS3, KEF Reference 2, 5.1, HSU Sub
post #7 of 18 Old 11-27-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thinking "better than going through any Fire TV device". And the answer is YES. If I use HEOS directly from my Marantz music can stream full hi rex whereas the FireTV devices choke the stream down. On my system I can clearly hear a big difference and the music is much more immersive. I have been at this for many years and was shocked to see how easy it was to get going.... You need a HEOS compatible receiver of course.
Keep in mind that your Marantz receiver is going to decimate any incoming signal to 48khz for processing prior to outputting.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
post #8 of 18 Old 11-27-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Keep in mind that your Marantz receiver is going to decimate any incoming signal to 48khz for processing prior to outputting.
Ok you got my attention.... Not following as the SR7012 does indeed support Hi-Rez. When I play a track via HEOS the receiver displays output resolution at that higher rate. Am I missing something? Am I getting some sort of placebo effect as It sure does seem to sound better now??

thx!
post #9 of 18 Old 11-28-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Amazon's New Placebo Effect Streaming Service
PooperScooper and Lp85253 like this.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-30-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok you got my attention.... Not following as the SR7012 does indeed support Hi-Rez. When I play a track via HEOS the receiver displays output resolution at that higher rate. Am I missing something? Am I getting some sort of placebo effect as It sure does seem to sound better now??

thx!
All inputs, (including HEOS) except for your 7.1 channel analog inputs, are reprocessed to 48khz for Audyssey. They also go through an extra ADC and DAC step which is not lossless.

post #11 of 18 Old 11-30-2019, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well that bites! Would direct, pure direct, or switching off audyssey allow the higher bandwidth signal to pass through?
post #12 of 18 Old 11-30-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well that bites! Would direct, pure direct, or switching off audyssey allow the higher bandwidth signal to pass through?
Direct and pure direct both turn off Audyssey. The answer is not clear at the moment. Marantz Technical Support has said both yes and no to me. I have gotten the no answer more often. It seems like all signals are reprocessed except for the 7.1ch inputs.

I actually have my music going from:

HTPC -> USB -> exaSound e38 DAC -> Marantz 8805 7.1ch inputs -> Amps -> Speakers

This avoids the reprocessing. When I do listen to HEOS I go:

Marantz 8805 -> Amps -> Speakers

It does sound different to me but that could be the DAC difference as well.

This is with the exact same source files for both.

post #13 of 18 Old 11-30-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 2008
Debatable whether one can hear the difference between 48 Khz and higher sampling rates. You'll still get 24 vs 16 bit. I wouldn't stress over it.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-30-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Direct and pure direct both turn off Audyssey. The answer is not clear at the moment. Marantz Technical Support has said both yes and no to me. I have gotten the no answer more often. It seems like all signals are reprocessed except for the 7.1ch inputs.

I actually have my music going from:

HTPC -> USB -> exaSound e38 DAC -> Marantz 8805 7.1ch inputs -> Amps -> Speakers

This avoids the reprocessing. When I do listen to HEOS I go:

Marantz 8805 -> Amps -> Speakers

It does sound different to me but that could be the DAC difference as well.

This is with the exact same source files for both.
I sort of recall the reprocessing debate when I purchased my Marantz SR7012. For me, my top priority is to have a modern HT system with the ability to listen to Hi-Rez music easily as a second level. I used to have an Oppo 105D -> Integra Pre/Pro -> Amps set-up which sounded super nice to me. however that Integra was falling behind on the HT side of things so I sold the Oppo (full price after 2-3 years. guess there is a message there...) to buy the Marantz to get some flexibility with generally usability and things like Atmos etc...

My music nirvana is to be able to "easily" pull up the best available music track as in up to 192/24 and just listen... I had hoped the Amazon Music HD option via HEOS had accomplished that but it seems like there still "issues" to sort out. The other option is to simply buy tracks from HD tracks and play them USB-> SR7012-> Amps -> Speakers. That sort of blows the "easy" part and of course the access to 50M+ songs....

Starting to feel like things need to develop some more in order to achieve above. I just don't want to fiddle when it comes to playback and am so immersed in the Amazon universe that this would have been a really great step forward to me. Starting to feel need to wait some more and just roll back to basic prime music plus pandora and Sirius XM for the time being.... bummer.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-30-2019, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Debatable whether one can hear the difference between 48 Khz and higher sampling rates. You'll still get 24 vs 16 bit. I wouldn't stress over it.
Yes and no I think.... Per my last post starting to feel mainstream Hi-Rez audio is really not ready for prime time and likely just to roll back to what have been doing.

However..... I think the whole reason we are on sites like this and have all this gear is we all want to squeeze the best possible quality out of the equipment we can afford. That is part of the fun of what we do. It just feels weird and disconcerting to play a track that is supposed to be 192/24 and not be sure that it is being rolled all the way back to 48Khz. Even if the ability to really hear the difference is debatable, I'd sort of like to figure that out for myself...
morgiastic likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 11-30-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Even though this really has not much to do with surround music and probably belongs in the Marantz thread, I have heard that the audio is decimated to 48 Khz when Audyssey is enabled. Therefore you don't have to use Audyssey or even set it up. You can have a professional calibration done on your system or do it yourself if you have the equipment. The 48 Khz down rez is also not just on Marantz but Denon and other brands as well. The one person who might have the real scoop on this is the person who pretty much knows all on Marantz and Denon, jdsmoothie.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K 4X M7 surround speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs
Processor - Marantz 8805 - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI - Oppo BDP-103+203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - QNAP TR-004 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #17 of 18 Old 11-30-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 2008
Quote:
Yes and no I think.... Per my last post starting to feel mainstream Hi-Rez audio is really not ready for prime time and likely just to roll back to what have been doing.

However..... I think the whole reason we are on sites like this and have all this gear is we all want to squeeze the best possible quality out of the equipment we can afford. That is part of the fun of what we do. It just feels weird and disconcerting to play a track that is supposed to be 192/24 and not be sure that it is being rolled all the way back to 48Khz. Even if the ability to really hear the difference is debatable, I'd sort of like to figure that out for myself...
That's a limitation of your AVR, not the service.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-08-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
"That's a limitation of your AVR, not the service".

I purchased a Fire TV cube hoping to stream Amazon HD music and was only able to get 48 kHz regardless of settings. Amazon tech help confirmed the cube is only capable of 16 bit, 48 kHz even though it's listed as an HD music streaming device. Pretty lame. Cancelled subscription.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page