Convert Blu Ray Audio to FlAC - free ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By SeeMoreDigital

post #1 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Convert Blu Ray Audio to FlAC - free ?

Hi,

I used to use a trail version of DVD Audio Extractor to make FLAC files from my Blu Rays.

Now,... I'm starting over actually and I may purchase DVDAE though right now all my disposable income seems tied up into UHD BD collecting.

Is there a free program to convert audio from video that does good ?... I have installed Audacity but like most people I have no idea how to use it.

I did a conversion with VLC but the quality options are all low... it can't give me 24/96 FLAC for example.

Most likely I really need DVDAE.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5450 Post(s)
Liked: 3566
Most likely you can do this with ffmpeg but you'll need to understand the command line.
It could be as simple as:
ffmpeg -i INPUT.mka OUTPUT.flac
Brian Hampton likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Thanks.

Turns out I must have never used DVDAE on this laptop as I have the free trail again for 30 days. I will register it after the 30 days. That will make a good amount of time to recover from my Black Friday UHD BD purchases.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 11-27-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 833
What I do is the following: -

Use: MakeMKV GUI to back-up the Blu-ray audio disc to an MKV file (complete with video, audio streams and chapters)
Use: gMKVExtractGUI v2.5.0.0 to extract the required audio stream (ie: PCM, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) and chapter information (as a .cue file).
Use: UsEac3To to encode the extracted audio stream to FLAC

The above is an over simplification, as you will have to become familiar with the functionality of each software and install supporting softwares. Plus, not all Blu-ray audio discs offer the ability to create separate tracks (if that's your preference). Personally, I select tracks using a .cue sheet file with my OPPO.

Cheers
bb80301 likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #5 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
What I do is the following: -

Use: MakeMKV GUI to back-up the Blu-ray audio disc to an MKV file (complete with video, audio streams and chapters)
Use: gMKVExtractGUI v2.5.0.0 to extract the required audio stream (ie: PCM, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) and chapter information (as a .cue file).
Use: UsEac3To to encode the extracted audio stream to FLAC

The above is an over simplification, as you will have to become familiar with the functionality of each software and install supporting softwares. Plus, not all Blu-ray audio discs offer the ability to create separate tracks (if that's your preference). Personally, I select tracks using a .cue sheet file with my OPPO.

Cheers
Would I be correct in assuming that following the process you laid out, or using the DVDAE mentioned above, would allow one to get around any region restrictions?
Morgan
post #6 of 7 Old 11-28-2019, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
...would allow one to get around any region restrictions?
Yes it would. However, in the case of Blu-ray audio discs, especially HFPA Blu-ray audio discs, they are not region coded anyway.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #7 of 7 Old 11-28-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Yes it would. However, in the case of Blu-ray audio discs, especially HFPA Blu-ray audio discs, they are not region coded anyway.
Great. Thank you for the information. After I posted I realized I'd had a bit of a brain-fart as the particular item I'm trying to find a solution for is a concert disc (reportedly Region B) and I'd want the video, too, so audio extraction on it's own wouldn't quite cut it.
Thank you again for your response.
Morgan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page