Convert Blu Ray Audio to FlAC - free ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By SeeMoreDigital
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 9,345
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Convert Blu Ray Audio to FlAC - free ?

Hi,

I used to use a trail version of DVD Audio Extractor to make FLAC files from my Blu Rays.

Now,... I'm starting over actually and I may purchase DVDAE though right now all my disposable income seems tied up into UHD BD collecting.

Is there a free program to convert audio from video that does good ?... I have installed Audacity but like most people I have no idea how to use it.

I did a conversion with VLC but the quality options are all low... it can't give me 24/96 FLAC for example.

Most likely I really need DVDAE.

-Brian
Brian Hampton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,788
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5679 Post(s)
Liked: 3732
Most likely you can do this with ffmpeg but you'll need to understand the command line.
It could be as simple as:
ffmpeg -i INPUT.mka OUTPUT.flac
Brian Hampton likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 9,345
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Thanks.

Turns out I must have never used DVDAE on this laptop as I have the free trail again for 30 days. I will register it after the 30 days. That will make a good amount of time to recover from my Black Friday UHD BD purchases.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 11-27-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Brian Hampton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,502
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 878
What I do is the following: -

Use: MakeMKV GUI to back-up the Blu-ray audio disc to an MKV file (complete with video, audio streams and chapters)
Use: gMKVExtractGUI v2.5.0.0 to extract the required audio stream (ie: PCM, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) and chapter information (as a .cue file).
Use: UsEac3To to encode the extracted audio stream to FLAC

The above is an over simplification, as you will have to become familiar with the functionality of each software and install supporting softwares. Plus, not all Blu-ray audio discs offer the ability to create separate tracks (if that's your preference). Personally, I select tracks using a .cue sheet file with my OPPO.


Cheers
bb80301 likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
What I do is the following: -

Use: MakeMKV GUI to back-up the Blu-ray audio disc to an MKV file (complete with video, audio streams and chapters)
Use: gMKVExtractGUI v2.5.0.0 to extract the required audio stream (ie: PCM, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) and chapter information (as a .cue file).
Use: UsEac3To to encode the extracted audio stream to FLAC

The above is an over simplification, as you will have to become familiar with the functionality of each software and install supporting softwares. Plus, not all Blu-ray audio discs offer the ability to create separate tracks (if that's your preference). Personally, I select tracks using a .cue sheet file with my OPPO.


Cheers
Would I be correct in assuming that following the process you laid out, or using the DVDAE mentioned above, would allow one to get around any region restrictions?
Morgan
morgiastic is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-28-2019, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,502
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
...would allow one to get around any region restrictions?
Yes it would. However, in the case of Blu-ray audio discs, especially HFPA Blu-ray audio discs, they are not region coded anyway.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2019, 11:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Yes it would. However, in the case of Blu-ray audio discs, especially HFPA Blu-ray audio discs, they are not region coded anyway.
Great. Thank you for the information. After I posted I realized I'd had a bit of a brain-fart as the particular item I'm trying to find a solution for is a concert disc (reportedly Region B) and I'd want the video, too, so audio extraction on it's own wouldn't quite cut it.
Thank you again for your response.
Morgan
morgiastic is online now  
post #8 of 12 Old 12-31-2019, 10:07 AM
Member
 
justonwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Following up on this thread since I'm basically in the same situation. However, I have a Mac and the suggested software isn't available for my OS.

I just bought the Immersion edition of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. The Blu-ray has the album in 92/24 stereo, 5.1, and 4.0. I'd like to get all three versions onto my Roon Nucleus but am having a hard time finding the right software to accomplish this. Anyone out there with suggestions?

5.1: Sony XBR-65A9G 65" | Arcam AVR30 | Ayre AX-5 Twenty | TV 4K | Xbox One | Paradigm Persona 5F Towers | Paradigm Persona C Center | Paradigm Persona B Surrounds | BW DB4S
2.0: Roon Nucleus | Ayre QX-5 Twenty | Ayre AX-5 Twenty | Paradigm Persona 5F Towers
justonwo is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-02-2020, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
elee532's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Following up on this thread since I'm basically in the same situation. However, I have a Mac and the suggested software isn't available for my OS.

I just bought the Immersion edition of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. The Blu-ray has the album in 92/24 stereo, 5.1, and 4.0. I'd like to get all three versions onto my Roon Nucleus but am having a hard time finding the right software to accomplish this. Anyone out there with suggestions?
MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor. Instructions here

https://www.macworld.com/article/215...-ray-disc.html
elee532 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Member
 
justonwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor. Instructions here

https://www.macworld.com/article/215...-ray-disc.html
Thanks for the reply. I tried backing up the disc using MakeMKV and then extracting the audio with DVD Audio Extractor, but DVD Audio Extractor couldn't do the job. I got a message that the Blu-ray is protected.
justonwo is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 01-03-2020, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
elee532's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Thanks for the reply. I tried backing up the disc using MakeMKV and then extracting the audio with DVD Audio Extractor, but DVD Audio Extractor couldn't do the job. I got a message that the Blu-ray is protected.
Maybe try AnyDVD to extract the disk before running DVDAE: https://www.redfox.bz/en/anydvdhd.html
elee532 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 01-04-2020, 03:21 PM
Member
 
justonwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
Maybe try AnyDVD to extract the disk before running DVDAE: https://www.redfox.bz/en/anydvdhd.html
That software doesn't work for Mac, unfortunately. I was able to finally extract the 5.1 and high res stereo tracks using Bigasoft software.

http://www.bigasoft.com/audio-converter-mac.html
justonwo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Surround Music Formats

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off