SACD decoding question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
SACD decoding question

I bought Blue Oyster Cult Secret Treaties on SACD. I believe it is supposed to be the quad version 4.0 However when I play it back it is in 5.1 Playback is on an Oppo BDP-103D connected via HDMI to an Integra DHC40.2 I don’t have the analog multichannel outputs connected. The Oppo sends DSD to the Integra. I’d have to check the Oppo but the Integra shows it is receiving and outputting 5.1 Not that I’m complaining but would like to hear the quad mix if possible. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 180
This is the release that has the quad mix: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If that's the disc you got, have you walked up to your center channel speaker and listened to see if anything is coming out of it? Perhaps it's encoded as 5.1 but there is actually no audio in the center or LFE channels.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireprix View Post
I bought Blue Oyster Cult Secret Treaties on SACD. I believe it is supposed to be the quad version 4.0 However when I play it back it is in 5.1 Playback is on an Oppo BDP-103D connected via HDMI to an Integra DHC40.2 I don’t have the analog multichannel outputs connected. The Oppo sends DSD to the Integra. I’d have to check the Oppo but the Integra shows it is receiving and outputting 5.1 Not that I’m complaining but would like to hear the quad mix if possible. Thanks.
All four of the SACD players I've had have only ever displayed tracks from the "Multi-Channel Area" as either 5.0 or 5.1 regardless of the amount of actual full range channels. As antisuck said, if you put your ear next to a speaker associated with a channel that shouldn't be in use (like the centre channel on a Quad mix or the rear channels on a three-channel stereo mix) you won't hear anything. I am surprised it would show .1 for a Quad mix, but perhaps they did a 4.1 mix.
Morgan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Pretty typical for the Oppo players to show a quad mix as 5.0 or 5.1, can't speak to your Integra though. As the poster above stated, have listen to your centre channel to be sure what you have.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

I will have to listen again. Although I’m pretty sure I have sound output from both the center and subs. I do run my fronts as full range and have the double bass enacted which may explain the subs but not the center.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Finally got around to listening to this again. The Oppo shows it as 5.0 and the Integra shows it as 5.1 guessing due to bass management.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

My bad. Never actually put my ear up to center speaker to verify. Somehow it just always sounded like the vocals were coming from the center. However the center does not emit a peep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page