Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-28-2019, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
PLIIx music

I fear my 1990's era Denon 5803 AVR is nearing end-of-life and I've begun thinking about the next system. I have always enjoyed the Dolby PLIIx music mode for two channel sources like CDs and streamed music. Is there an equivalent or something better regarding music in the newer Dolby formats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-28-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7381 Post(s)
Liked: 6456
The new Dolby Surround upmixer does some things (centre extraction) better than PLIIx but other things (surround envelopment) not as well. The Auro3D format has an umpixer called Auro-Matic which is pleasant sounding with 2-channel music but uses a completely different approach (generated ambience) compared to DSU and PLIIx (extracted ambience). DTS also has a new upmixer, Neural:X, which sounds kinda meh with 2-channel music (but better than Neo:6 on your 5803). None of them sound like PLIIx Music mode. But if you get a receiver or processor with all 3, you can compare on the fly to pick your favourite.

Sanjay
post #3 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks for the reply. I never liked NEO 6 either.
I'm looking at getting separates now in order to match the power of the old Denon so maybe I can find a processor that can do all three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
I'm looking at getting separates now in order to match the power of the old Denon so maybe I can find a processor that can do all three.
The flagship Denon AVR X8500H can do all three and probably has all the power you'll ever need. Worth a look.
Morgan
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
If you really liked PL2X you are NOT going to like the new DSU and DTS Neural, far cry from PL2X, I feel Auro is real close after adjusted, I also have the 5803 circa 2002/2003 collecting memories ! but don't worry about power or wattages most will easily handle most needs depending on room size and speaker ratings.The Denon 6500 should be plenty unless you need another flagship,The Marantz units with their HDAM circuits create a more laid back warmth sound for music,The 8500 drives the RBH signitures to insane levels without breaking a sweat,Happy Shopping !

Theater 1, Denon AVR X8500 H, 77 inch LG C9,Oled, RBH Signitures & surrounds,etc.SVS PC 4000 sub Oppo 95, Denon DVD 3930, Epson UB 5040 Projection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page