Porcupine Tree- In Absentia Deluxe Edition - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ti-triodes
  • 2 Post By ti-triodes

post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2020, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
Porcupine Tree- In Absentia Deluxe Edition

Interesting re-release of PT’s probably most famous album. It will include a phase corrected version of the original Eliot Scheiner 5.1 mix as well as 3 CD’s of other PT studio recordings and demos. There will be a making of documentary and a 100 page book. Pricing is around $100 as of now but hopefully will come down a bit.

If you look at the prices SW’s other deluxe editions have sold for after they go out of print, the pricing might not be as ridiculous as it first appears.

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...sentia-deluxe/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2020, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Interesting re-release of PT’s probably most famous album. It will include a phase corrected version of the original Eliot Scheiner 5.1 mix as well as 3 CD’s of other PT studio recordings and demos. There will be a making of documentary and a 100 page book. Pricing is around $100 as of now but hopefully will come down a bit.

If you look at the prices SW’s other deluxe editions have sold for after they go out of print, the pricing might not be as ridiculous as it first appears.

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...sentia-deluxe/

I wonder where is this "phase corrected" claim of the 5.1 mix comes from? I didn't see it in the article you link. I also wondered what that means though, since I've been critical of this mix since day one, and it's about it's lack of bass compared to the 2 ch mix. This makes me think that the entire LFE track could have been out of phase with the 5 main channels to create the illusion that it has no bass. Anyway any info you might have is appreciated, regarding this matter, as this has been a thorn in my side for a long time.
since day one

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2020, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I wonder where is this "phase corrected" claim of the 5.1 mix comes from? I didn't see it in the article you link. I also wondered what that means though, since I've been critical of this mix since day one, and it's about it's lack of bass compared to the 2 ch mix. This makes me think that the entire LFE track could have been out of phase with the 5 main channels to create the illusion that it has no bass. Anyway any info you might have is appreciated, regarding this matter, as this has been a thorn in my side for a long time.
since day one

If you read the comments in the link I posted, a number of people touch on it. Both the center channel and LFE should have the polarity reversed when playing it back. That should fix the lack of bass.
The upcoming release fixes this. I’m surprised SW isn’t doing a new remix, however.
thehun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2020, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
If you read the comments in the link I posted, a number of people touch on it. Both the center channel and LFE should have the polarity reversed when playing it back. That should fix the lack of bass.
The upcoming release fixes this. I’m surprised SW isn’t doing a new remix, however.
Elliot Scheiner did the original mix. I'd be hard-pressed to think of any surround mix he did that should be, or needs to be, remixed.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2020, 01:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Elliot Scheiner did the original mix. I'd be hard-pressed to think of any surround mix he did that should be, or needs to be, remixed.
Agreed and I think SW agrees too, since it was Scheiner who showed him the ropes.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #6 of 6 Old 01-05-2020, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Agreed and I think SW agrees too, since it was Scheiner who showed him the ropes.

Totally agree with you guys. Scheiner is one of the best.

There was some confusion about the possibility of a new SW mix. IIRC, SW said he wanted to revisit the album. This set off a flurry of the usual rational, well thought out sharing of ideas that the internet is famous for.

From what I understand, (subject to change until the second the deluxe box is released), is the stereo will be remastered while the 5.1 is the 2003 ES mix with the phasing problems corrected.

BTW, ImportCDs has a reasonable pre-order price on this if anyone is interested.

https://www.importcds.com/porcupine-...k/802644854854
weekendtoy and SteveC356 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page