I have SACD's, and no way to play them. What to do? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 1 Post By Baccusboy
  • 1 Post By SeeMoreDigital
  • 1 Post By lizrussspike
  • 3 Post By SeeMoreDigital
  • 1 Post By lizrussspike
  • 1 Post By hodgjy
  • 1 Post By Baccusboy
  • 1 Post By SeeMoreDigital
  • 1 Post By lizrussspike
  • 2 Post By Stereodude
  • 2 Post By Baccusboy

post #1 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have SACD's, and no way to play them. What to do?

About 10 years ago, back when I had a PS3, I got into SACD's. Sold that, and had an OPPO, which died five years later. I pitched it.

So, sitting in a box, I have about 28 SACD's. Mostly pop and some classical. There were a few titles that I really liked listening to. I'm tempted to get an SACD Player. My problem is that there aren't many players out there. I live in South Korea, and used players -- even poor ones -- go for ridiculous money. I have found that Sony makes the Ubp-X800M2, which seems to be about the ONLY inexpensive option. The niggling problem is that, per someone's Amazon comments:

Quote:
The only real limitation here is that the DAC chip is only 24/96, so all your higher res audio will be limited by this.
I remember my PS3 output much higher resolution than that. I'd be sending the HDMI output to my Marantz SR8002, anyway. It's been years since I thought about DAC's and the like. Does this mean my Marantz will also be limited to this, if it's decoding?

Are there any other options for SACD Players I should look at, in a low price range (or lower, given that my Marantz will decode?)

Lastly, if I tried to sell these SACD's online, would anyone even care to buy them? Better to just try to sell them? Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sacd.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	794.4 KB
ID:	2690360  
JA Fant likes this.

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Provided the Sony player is configured to send a native DSD bit-stream (not a PCM stream) via HDMI to your Marantz SR8002 AVR. And your Marantz supports on-board DSD decoding, you should be able to hear your SACD's in all their glory...

Cheers
JA Fant likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #3 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 2286
@Baccusboy, you've got some great SACD's there! If you were closer, I would purchase some for sure!
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@Baccusboy, you've got some great SACD's there! If you were closer, I would purchase some for sure!
Indeed... Some such as: Thriller, Up, Avalon & Toys in the Attic are going for good money second-hand.

And with "the right" second-hand SACD player, it's possible to back-up the DSD layer of SACD's now. Which might be worth investigating

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
post #5 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Agreed @SeeMoreDigital!
JA Fant likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccusboy View Post
About 10 years ago, back when I had a PS3, I got into SACD's. Sold that, and had an OPPO, which died five years later. I pitched it.

So, sitting in a box, I have about 28 SACD's. Mostly pop and some classical. There were a few titles that I really liked listening to. I'm tempted to get an SACD Player. My problem is that there aren't many players out there. I live in South Korea, and used players -- even poor ones -- go for ridiculous money. I have found that Sony makes the Ubp-X800M2, which seems to be about the ONLY inexpensive option. The niggling problem is that, per someone's Amazon comments:

I remember my PS3 output much higher resolution than that. I'd be sending the HDMI output to my Marantz SR8002, anyway. It's been years since I thought about DAC's and the like. Does this mean my Marantz will also be limited to this, if it's decoding?

Are there any other options for SACD Players I should look at, in a low price range (or lower, given that my Marantz will decode?)

Lastly, if I tried to sell these SACD's online, would anyone even care to buy them? Better to just try to sell them? Thoughts?
The Yamaha BD-S681 is not a 4K player, but does play SACD, so it's another option in your approximate price bracket.
JA Fant likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the comments.

I wonder if that Sony does actually pass the signal natively? Anyone know?

That said, I see used PS3's going for as low as $35, here. One went up for sale today that says it does SACD, but he hasn't used it in quite a while. Wondering if I should take a chance...
JA Fant likes this.

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #8 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the Sony UBP-X800M2 can send a native DSD stream via HDMI.
JA Fant likes this.

post #9 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For $35 @Baccusboy, if the buyer can turn on and validate it works, then heck yes, I would for $35.
JA Fant likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-29-2020, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi again @Baccusboy ,

I forgot to mention that you might find the following topic interesting as it mentions several SACD players that are pretty flexible: -

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/t...true/#comments

Cheers

post #11 of 21 Old 03-02-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked: 3104
Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

That said, I see used PS3's going for as low as $35, here. One went up for sale today that says it does SACD, but he hasn't used it in quite a while. Wondering if I should take a chance...
There are any number of used Blu-ray players you should be able to buy quite inexpensive that have SACD playback. SeeMoreDigital's link has discussion of players that can be used to play them as well as rip them to your computer in DSD format. I bought a Sony BDP-S5100 & remote for about $40 on eBay to rip all my SACDs. Of course it can play them back as well, but I already had other players capable of SACD playback and wanted to have ripping capability.

More Links:
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?thre...y-player.3652/

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...ripping.26078/

Also, keep in mind that you want any bass management / time alignment in your receiver/pre-pro the DSD will have to be converted to PCM, so stressing over whether a player can pass them over HDMI as DSD vs. PCM is largely moot IMHO.

If you want something new, the Sony UBP-X700 is even cheaper than the X800M2 and plays them as well.
SeeMoreDigital and head_unit like this.
post #12 of 21 Old 03-02-2020, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I like the Sony BDP-S590 as a cheap SACD player.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-02-2020, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent M. Wagner View Post
I like the Sony BDP-S590 as a cheap SACD player.
And that player can be used to back-up the DSD layer of your SACD's too

post #14 of 21 Old 03-02-2020, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

The Sony UBP-X800 II does not have a DAC. Via HDMI your Marantz will decode.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-03-2020, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

How much you want for them, pm me thanks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #16 of 21 Old 03-03-2020, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have an Oppo dv-980h that I bought new that I use to play my SACD and DVD-A collection...DVD's, too. Any of the Oppo DVD players will play SACD's and DVD-A discs, will output DSD, and can be bought used for a song. I see them on Ebay routinely for less than $100. Oppo still offers a repair service at a really reasonable price. I sent mine back less than a year ago and they replaced the disc drawer for a flat $52.00, including return shipping. Could buy one that needs work and send it in. (Should have kept the Oppo you pitched...but if I knew then what I know now...)

Or, you could sell the discs you have. I've got most of the ones you have, and still enjoy them.... occasionally. I find that I've fallen for the convenience of ripped and streaming music....unless I'm in the HT.

Good luck, either way.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-03-2020, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

Only the original "fat" model PS3's with 4 built-in usb ports will support SACD.

Check here for more specifics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models
post #18 of 21 Old 03-03-2020, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's funny (to me) that I have or do own all of the players we are talking about here. Just sold the Oppo 980 and PS3 fat, selling the S590 shortly and just added a X800M2 to be my universal disc player.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-07-2020, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi all,

So I ended up buying a used Sony BDP-BX510 for $50, here in Korea (I live in Seoul). Problem is -- no remote.

Couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to somehow navigate using the limited buttons on this player? Other than play, eject, on/off, stop, there doesn't seem to be anything else.

2. I have found that I can import a remote from China for under $10, and I'm searching locally, but with the Coronavirus situation no mail/shipping is leaving Korea. It's my understanding that nothing is going out, although I'm not sure if anything is coming in or not. China is close, and it might be something they send by boat, anyway... not sure. I'm attempting to ask the online seller about it. So my question is -- any ideas on a universal remote that might work with it? I have a Marantz SR-8002 home theater receiver with programmable remote, but the DVD codes for this Sony unit don't work with it, from what I've seen. I don't have a Blu-Ray remote button to program on it as a source, and the DVD button on the Marantz remote objects to the code I found for this player online. None of the other general Sony codes for DVD players listed in the Marantz manual seem to work.

Any ideas on a remote, or what would be a typical cheap solution I might look into for a Universal-type remote?

Thanks.

post #20 of 21 Old 04-08-2020, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any ideas on a remote, or what would be a typical cheap solution I might look into for a Universal-type remote?

Thanks.
I would think you'll be able to source a replacement remote control from eBay. And there might even be an 'app' for a mobile phone/tablet...

Also, I recommend that you connect any media playback device to a 'wired' network using a fixed/static IP address.

Cheers

post #21 of 21 Old 04-28-2020, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I ended up buying the cheap blu-ray Sony remote off of Aliexpress. Works great, and I was surprised to find the blu-ray player I bought actually updated to work with Netflix.

Very happy with my purchase, for about $50.
weekendtoy and Neil S. Bulk like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page