Am I getting lossless Atmos through ARC? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeeMoreDigital

post #1 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Question Am I getting lossless Atmos through ARC?

Hi,

Bit confused about this now.

I am using the arc connection of my avr (Denon avr-x1600h) connected to the HDMI arc on my tv ( Panasonic fz950 OLED) I have my 4K blu ray player and PS4 Pro connected to my avr HDMI ports.

When I’m playing a 4K movie With Atmos on my blu-ray player, am I getting it down-converted to something lower quality or not?

I understand that playing something from my tv, eg tye Netflix app, I won’t be able to get Atmos and so forth, but everything else that’s connected to my avr will be the same as not using the arc port on my tv?

Am I getting lossless Atmos audio?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure how to edit my post, but when playing a Atmos movie on my 4K blu ray player and I hit Info on my AVR remote, it says Dolby Atmos – True HD.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipswitch84 View Post
Hi,

I am using the arc connection of my avr (Denon avr-x1600h) connected to the HDMI arc on my tv ( Panasonic fz950 OLED) I have my 4K blu ray player and PS4 Pro connected to my avr HDMI ports.

When I’m playing a 4K movie With Atmos on my blu-ray player, am I getting it down-converted to something lower quality or not?

I understand that playing something from my tv, eg tye Netflix app, I won’t be able to get Atmos and so forth, but everything else that’s connected to my avr will be the same as not using the arc port on my tv?

Thanks.
So long as your playback device is connected directly to the AVR then yes you can get Dolby Atmos True HD so long as the AVR and disc support it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
So long as your playback device is connected directly to the AVR then yes you can get Dolby Atmos True HD so long as the AVR and disc support it
My device is connected to my avr, which is connected to my HDMI arc port.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My device is connected to my avr, which is connected to my HDMI arc port.
Then yes you can get lossless atmos audio.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:

Just-so-you-know... Only TV's and AVR's that support eARC are capable of passing 'lossless' Dolby TrueHD with Atmos via HDMI.

If you look at the back of any 4K Blu-ray player you'll notice that it will have two HDMI outputs. One is for sending both audio and video to your TV. The other is for sending 'audio only' formats to your AVR.

Quote:
Actually, all media streaming services offer 'lossy' (not lossless) audio formats. Some content on Netflix offers (lossy) Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos, which can be sent via regular HDMI ARC from your TV to your AVR. If your TV supports this feature (not all do).

Cheers
thehun likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #7 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Just-so-you-know... Only TV's and AVR's that support eARC are capable of passing 'lossless' Dolby TrueHD with Atmos via HDMI.

If you look at the back of any 4K Blu-ray player you'll notice that it will have two HDMI outputs. One is for sending both audio and video to your TV. The other is for sending 'audio only' formats to your AVR.

Actually, all media streaming services offer 'lossy' (not lossless) audio formats. Some content on Netflix offers (lossy) Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos, which can be sent via regular HDMI ARC from your TV to your AVR. If your TV supports this feature (not all do).

Cheers
Sorry for asking the same question again, one user is saying yes, I’m getting lossless audio, but you’re saying only eARC only can. So I’m not getting lossless audio?
post #8 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for asking the same question again, one user is saying yes, I’m getting lossless audio, but you’re saying only eARC only can. So I’m not getting lossless audio?
Technically, in order for 'any' make and model of TV to be able to send 'lossless' audio (from an HDMI connected device, such as a 4K Blu-ray player), the TV must support eARC and must also be capable of passing-though the requisite lossless audio format via HDMI eARC. And the AVR must also support eARC and be able to decode the requisite lossless audio format.

EDIT: Suffice to say... It's very early days for eARC capable devices. The technology is new.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 03-10-2020 at 08:23 AM.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think they are confused, thinking you have the blu ray player connected to the tv not the AVR.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Technically, in order for 'any' make and model of TV to be able to send 'lossless' audio (from an HDMI connected device, such as a 4K Blu-ray player), the TV must support eARC and must also be capable of passing-though the requisite lossless audio format via HDMI eARC. And the AVR must also support eARC and be able to decode the requisite lossless audio format.

EDIT: Suffice to say... It's very early days for eARC capable devices. The technology is new.
I think you might be confused. He has the Blu Ray player and PS4 Pro connected to the AVR not the TV. SO he is getting lossless to the AVR, and then outputting the video from the AVR to the TV, just happens to be using the ARC connection on the tv. That way he can get audio from TV apps like Netflix without needing something like a optical (toslink) cable from the TV to the AVR to get TV audio.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you might be confused. He has the Blu Ray player and PS4 Pro connected to the AVR not the TV.
I'm answering the topic title question, which is regard to "getting lossless Atmos through (HDMI) ARC?"

ARC is primarily a TV feature...

post #12 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm answering the topic title question, which is regard to "getting lossless Atmos through (HDMI) ARC?"

ARC is primarily a TV feature...
Your right but the OP miss worded their initial question. IMO.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
In order to clearly understand you we need to know if your blu ray player has two HDMI outputs? Does it? If it does are you using both or just one?
Thanks

"Feels great, baby." SF 49ers QB Jimmy G.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have two HDMI ports, however I’m using just one. Apologies if my thread title is putting people off. I’m trying to be as clear as possible in my opening post.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you might be confused. He has the Blu Ray player and PS4 Pro connected to the AVR not the TV. SO he is getting lossless to the AVR, and then outputting the video from the AVR to the TV, just happens to be using the ARC connection on the tv. That way he can get audio from TV apps like Netflix without needing something like a optical (toslink) cable from the TV to the AVR to get TV audio.

This is what I’m trying to say.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have two HDMI ports, however I’m using just one. Apologies if my thread title is putting people off. I’m trying to be as clear as possible in my opening post.
I am curious. Is your TV HDMI ARC input full bandwidth? Secondly, what is your Blu player brand and model number? What is your speaker configuration?

post #17 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Sony udp-x700. My tv, Panasonic fz950 has 4 HDMI ports, the first two are full bandwidth ( HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 arc) because I’m getting [email protected] 4:4:4.

Speaker are Klipsch Reference Quintet 5.1 Compact Home Theatre Speaker System.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Sony udp-x700. My tv, Panasonic fz950 has 4 HDMI ports, the first two are full bandwidth ( HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 arc) because I’m getting [email protected] 4:4:4.

Speaker are Klipsch Reference Quintet 5.1 Compact Home Theatre Speaker System.y isym
You are not set up for Dolby Atmos. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X require two height speakers for the 5.1.2 configuration. Can your receiver handle two extra height speakers? I would use the split A/V connection with the Sony UBP-X700: HDMI output #1 to TV HDMI 1. HDMI #2 to AVR BD/DVD. Then connect the PS4 to AVR HDMI 2.
Good luck

post #19 of 21 Old 03-10-2020, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Am I getting lossless Atmos through ARC?

My AVR is Denon avr-x1600h 7.2, so yes it can support the height channels but I’m out of room to where to place them as I have satellite speakers. I would have to replace the front with special atmos height speakers .

With this new connection method you suggest, what are the added benefits over my current setup to which I believe I’m getting DD Atmos lossless. ?

Where did I connect the speaker wire for Dolby atmos height channels?

Maybe when doing speaker setup and I will be able to chase which speakers I have.

Last edited by flipswitch84; 03-10-2020 at 06:34 PM.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-11-2020, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You have a total of 7 channels available, to be assigned as either 7.X.0 or 5.X.2. You do not have enough channels for a 7.X.2 set-up. If you want Atmos, you use the 'surround back' for those speakers and assign as such (note it says "assignable" on the AVR).
post #21 of 21 Old 03-14-2020, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJake View Post
You have a total of 7 channels available, to be assigned as either 7.X.0 or 5.X.2. You do not have enough channels for a 7.X.2 set-up. If you want Atmos, you use the 'surround back' for those speakers and assign as such (note it says "assignable" on the AVR).

I see. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page