no Dolby Atmos after connecting with Cisco 2960 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JonFo

post #1 of 4 Old 03-19-2020, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
no Dolby Atmos after connecting with Cisco 2960

Hi

I used Samsung HWN950 and it can display Dolby Atmos well from appleTV 4K. Days ago, I was told that the video and audio quality will be improved if I put a Cisco 2960G switch between Reuter and apple TV 4K. I tried the connection it did show a great improvement in both video and audio quality. However, after this change in connection, the Dolby Atmos from Netflix and Itune movie was lost. May somebody help me in this issue? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2020, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Wow, overkill on the switch front.

I use unmanaged switches in my network and can get perfect streaming with all the goodies: 4K HDR and Atmos

Her's my network setup:

Netgear CM600 Cable modem <---> IQrouter <--> TP-Link SG-1024 24-port switch <---> TP-Link SG108 (in the media room) <--> Apple TV / FireTV, etc.

BTW- the IQrouter reduced the bad bufferbloat I have on my line, and streaming is rock solid these days.
SeeMoreDigital likes this.

Jonathan
post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2020, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
did you buy the 2960 used or new? if used did you reset the configuration? the old owners config could be left installed and the 2960 supports features that could be enabled that will cause you problems.

I would suggest looking at the config and making sure jumbo frames is enabled and also checking what speed the interface is configured and negotiated. You should be at 1000 duplex.

4k video with Atmos needs a LOT of bandwidth and you may need a better ethernet cable. don’t go with anything less than a name brand cat5e. Cat6 is not going to get you anything. If it’s a cable problem you may get lucky and see CRC errors when you look at the interface.

For this application i don’t see the value $$ of the 2960 over a good quality consumer router. In my opinion the value of the 2960 is the ability to use the CLI and make custom configurations and see errors. I have heard of 2950 seeing cpu limitions under heavy load in an office scenario. I don’t know how this comparison works for you.

I have read that some good brand consumer devices don’t have the ability cpu/ fast ram to hit Gb speeds but are advertised to do so.

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-23-2020, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
Wow, overkill on the switch front.

I use unmanaged switches in my network and can get perfect streaming with all the goodies: 4K HDR and Atmos

Her's my network setup:

Netgear CM600 Cable modem <---> IQrouter <--> TP-Link SG-1024 24-port switch <---> TP-Link SG108 (in the media room) <--> Apple TV / FireTV, etc.

BTW- the IQrouter reduced the bad bufferbloat I have on my line, and streaming is rock solid these days.
I agree with you...

My (Netgear) Virgin Media cable (4-port) modem/router is connected to an 8-port TP-Link gigabit switch (up in the loft) with a cat-7 cable network cable running downstairs to another 8-port TP-Link gigabit switch which connects to my media gear (two OPPO's, two TV's, sat box, AVR).

I have no problem streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc. And no problems watching 4K UHD disc back-ups stored on my NAS (which is located up in the loft too).

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page