Dragonfly Cobalt and surround sound? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-12-2020, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Dragonfly Cobalt and surround sound?

Hello I’m new here,

I do not know a lot about this topic (how formats and audio processing work). So, will you please include the basic’s in your comments. I own a Dragonfly Cobalt (USB DAC) and use B&W P9 for music (laptop and IPhone). I also really enjoy watching movies & TV-shows. I understand when using the USB DAC it bypass my laptop (MacBook Pro IOS/bootcamp) audio processing. Furthermore, I understand that headphones only have 2 speakers, thus real surround sound is not an option here. However, I know from my gaming-pc, which includes a xonar soundcard, has the options of Dolby Headphone or other virtual surround sound software. Also, windows 10 now has Dolby Atmos for headphone and windows sonic.
Is it possible to get any kind of surround sound on my headphones using this DAC? I know that this DAC only support PCM, but does that include PCM 5.1 or 7.1 (I don’t know if this matter)? Is it possible to add an external sound card in this setup, therefore I get some surround sound? Like: PC - USB DAC - Surround sound card - headphone or PC software surround sound - USB DAC- Headphone.

Thank you in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-14-2020, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Try the "headphone" section of the forum, as most of the guys here don't listen to their headphones via computers and outboard DACs.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Tags
b&w , dolby atmos , dragonfly , pcm , Surround Sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page