5.1.4 Atmos - Speaker Placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-27-2020, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ziggy480's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
5.1.4 Atmos - Speaker Placement

Need help with speaker placement for a 5.1.4 Atmos setup. Attached is the floorplan for the room I'm working with. The green dots are the placement of the existing speakers. Center channel in the TV, four ceiling speakers and a subwoofer under the TV. I currently have these speakers (identified as green dots) configured in a 5.1 setup.

My thought is that I can use these ceiling speakers as the "height" speakers in a 5.1.4 setup. I've marked in Red where I plan to put two new wall mount front channels. The challenging part is where to put the two side/rear surround channels. I marked a couple of options in orange and in purple which option would work better? Any other thoughts on the matter I should consider?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos 5.4.png
Views:	51
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2717316  
ziggy480 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 04-27-2020, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ziggy480's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Alternatively, would a 7 channel 5.1.2 setup work ok if I just add two new front channels and use the ceiling mounted speakers as my rear channels? Thoughts?
ziggy480 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 04-27-2020, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 14,637
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 3629
Might be best to post your question in the "speakers" sub forum. More discussion about surround and hi-res music here than speaker placement.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 05-08-2020, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: KALIZUELA
Posts: 10,170
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy480 View Post
Need help with speaker placement for a 5.1.4 Atmos setup. Attached is the floorplan for the room I'm working with. The green dots are the placement of the existing speakers. Center channel in the TV, four ceiling speakers and a subwoofer under the TV. I currently have these speakers (identified as green dots) configured in a 5.1 setup.

My thought is that I can use these ceiling speakers as the "height" speakers in a 5.1.4 setup. I've marked in Red where I plan to put two new wall mount front channels. The challenging part is where to put the two side/rear surround channels. I marked a couple of options in orange and in purple which option would work better? Any other thoughts on the matter I should consider?
What Bill said, but just to put forward my short answer for the bed channel surrounds: The purple option is not optimal at all, the orange is much better but they need to line up, one seems to be more forward than the other. Your heights look good.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
thehun is online now  
post #5 of 7 Old 05-08-2020, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ziggy480's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
What Bill said, but just to put forward my short answer for the bed channel surrounds: The purple option is not optimal at all, the orange is much better but they need to line up, one seems to be more forward than the other. Your heights look good.
Yeah, I ended up scrapping the 5.1.4 option and went with a 5.1.2. I also came to the conclusion that neither option is optimal. The effort needed to run cables to either of those back/side channel pairs would be significant and just by chance I was able to pick up a 7 channel Atmos capable Denon receiver for cheap. I'll re-visit adding a couple additional channels next time I get the itch.

FWIW, the 5.1.2 sounds great.
ziggy480 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 05-11-2020, 03:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy480 View Post
Need help with speaker placement for a 5.1.4 Atmos setup. Attached is the floorplan for the room I'm working with. The green dots are the placement of the existing speakers. Center channel in the TV, four ceiling speakers and a subwoofer under the TV. I currently have these speakers (identified as green dots) configured in a 5.1 setup.

My thought is that I can use these ceiling speakers as the "height" speakers in a 5.1.4 setup. I've marked in Red where I plan to put two new wall mount front channels. The challenging part is where to put the two side/rear surround channels. I marked a couple of options in orange and in purple which option would work better? Any other thoughts on the matter I should consider?
Hw do you process the 5.1.4 in your system? Does your AVR simply interpolate the extra 2 atmos locations? I assume your content is 7.1 from the blu ray? Or do you have some native 9 channel content?
104av is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 05-11-2020, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ziggy480's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 104av View Post
Hw do you process the 5.1.4 in your system? Does your AVR simply interpolate the extra 2 atmos locations? I assume your content is 7.1 from the blu ray? Or do you have some native 9 channel content?
If I were to have purchased a 9 channel capable AVR, I would have expected it to have processed the 5.1.4 audio. That said, I scrapped the idea and am sticking with seven channel audio.
ziggy480 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Surround Music Formats

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off