Tidal launches Dolby Atmos Music support for TVs, home speakers, and soundbars! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #1 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Tidal launches Dolby Atmos Music support for TVs, home speakers, and soundbars!

‘Real’ Atmos support is finally here!

Tidal is vastly expanding its support for Dolby Atmos Music today to include living room set-top boxes, TVs, and speaker systems for subscribers to its $19.99-per-month Tidal HiFi service. Or, depending on how you feel about the mobile version of Atmos, Tidal is launching its first “real” implementation of Dolby Atmos Music today.

Technically, today’s launch marks the second rollout for Atmos on Tidal. The company initially launched the feature back in December for the few Android smartphones and tablets that supported the mobile version of Atmos, but the living room version of the feature (with the far better speaker systems that it offers) will likely offer a much better experience than the mobile one.

YOU’LL NEED ATMOS SPEAKERS, OBVIOUSLY

In order to actually take advantage of the new feature, you’ll need a few pieces of hardware. First and foremost is a Dolby Atmos-compatible speaker setup, be it a soundbar, sound system, or even your TV’s built-in speakers. You’ll also need a streaming device that both supports Atmos sound and has Tidal. Devices that meet those metrics include the Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, Fire TV Stick (second-gen), Fire TV (third-gen), or the 2019 models of the Nvidia Shield

TV or Shield TV Pro. Sony and Philips smart TVs that support Atmos and run Android TV will also work without the need for a set-top box.

Assuming you’ve got all that set up, Tidal will automatically stream the Atmos version of a song or album, assuming there’s one available. Tidal also will label available songs with a “Available in Dolby Atmos” tag, and users can search the phrase “Dolby Atmos” to specifically find compatible tracks. Additionally, Tidal is also curating dedicated “At Home” playlists featuring Atmos tracks.

To celebrate the launch, Tidal is also offering an extended 60-day free trial for new subscribers who are interested in trying out the new Atmos Music for themselves.

You can read about it here: https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/28/2...ound-bars-hifi

https://tidal.com/partners/dolbyatmos

This is great News!! Well Maybe. Read Comments below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolbyatmos-devices-img.png
Views:	45
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	2734064  

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K 4X M7 surround speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs
Processor - Marantz 8805 - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI - Oppo BDP-103+203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - QNAP TR-004 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8

Last edited by JJHXBR; 05-31-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Indeed: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-s...l#post59720314

Sufficed to say... There's no way I would pay $20.00 a month to hear 'up-sampled' Atmos music
youhavequestions and CalJake like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 05-29-2020 at 08:29 AM.
post #3 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 10:30 AM
216dB Shockwave of pain

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 2541
It still does not work. I have a fully ATMOS capable system. Denon 8500h, Apple 4k Tv, Fire Cube 2nd Gen and the Shield Pro new version. On all devices I can stream Dolby Vision & Atmos video content without problems. Try to play any songs in any of the Tidal Atmos playlists and all I ever get it 2 ch PCM. Yes I have the Hi-Fi account level. Very frustrating every time I try.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
It still does not work. I have a fully ATMOS capable system. Denon 8500h, Apple 4k Tv, Fire Cube 2nd Gen and the Shield Pro new version. On all devices I can stream Dolby Vision & Atmos video content without problems. Try to play any songs in any of the Tidal Atmos playlists and all I ever get it 2 ch PCM. Yes I have the Hi-Fi account level. Very frustrating every time I try.
Wow! That's got to be very frustrating!

I could see Atmos not working with the Firestick or Cube as it's been wonky with certain providers when Apple 4KTV and the Shield Pro worked fine.

Maybe try contacting member sdrucker as he has got it to work on Apple TV.

It's post 51 here : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-s...l#post59720314
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K 4X M7 surround speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs
Processor - Marantz 8805 - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI - Oppo BDP-103+203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - QNAP TR-004 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #5 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Same boat for me, Amazon fire tv stick into a marantz av8802a no joy.
tried it on my sony x900F arc in to the marantz no go on that either, although it was said yo need EARC from the tv for it to work, so long as they are using the dolby+ version of atmos and not the full dolby atmos it shouldn't matter.
I also have a ticket in with Tidal

Mains: Swan diva 6.1 Center: Swan diva C3 Surrounds: Swan Diva 4.1 Sourround Back: Dayton Audio ME825W Sub: SVS SB-2000 x 2 Front And Rear Top Speakers: SpeakerCraft AIM 8 TWO Series 2 PreAmp : AV-8802a/Parasound P5 Amps: Outlaw 7200\ATI 2505 Transport :Oppo 205 UHD Display:Sony XBR85X900F Turntable:project audio debut carbon esprit sb beatles 1964
post #6 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez24 View Post
tried it on my sony x900F arc in to the marantz no go on that either, although it was said yo need EARC from the tv for it to work, so long as they are using the dolby+ version of atmos and not the full dolby atmos it shouldn't matter.
Yep... Currently, Atmos audio from Tidal does not appear to work on the Amazon Fire devices

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
post #7 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
When Dolby Atmos music is available on Blu-ray I'll try it. There are plenty of movies with great soundtracks in Atmos...one place to check is https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/t...-releases.html I've never liked streaming and from what I see here, I like Tidal's Atmos audio least of all.
post #8 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by youhavequestions View Post
When Dolby Atmos music is available on Blu-ray I'll try it. There are plenty of movies with great soundtracks in Atmos...one place to check is https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/t...-releases.html I've never liked streaming and from what I see here, I like Tidal's Atmos audio least of all.
There's some pretty good albums released on ATMOS. A few that come to mind:
  • Beatles: Abbey Road
    Kraftwerk: Numbers
    REM: Automatic For The People
    INXS: Kick
    Max Cooper: Emergence
    Booka Shade: Galvany Street
youhavequestions likes this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Last edited by weekendtoy; 05-30-2020 at 07:20 PM.
post #9 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 12:05 PM
216dB Shockwave of pain

^^^^^Well at least I’m not alone here.^^^^^

Thanks for posting guys!

JJHXBR, Thanks I will reach out to sdrucker and inquire how he got it to work. Might be due to his Trinniov.

According to this article dated May 28th, this ATMOS feature will launch early next will in some type of rollout.
https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/28/tidal...e-tv-included/

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.

Last edited by Adamg (Ret-Navy); 05-29-2020 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Update
post #10 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Thanks for posting guys!

JJHXBR, Thanks I will reach out to sdrucker and inquire how he got it to work. Might be due to his Trinniov.

According to this article dated May 28th, this ATMOS feature will launch early next will in some type of rollout.
I got it working yesterday through my ATV4K box into my Anthem AVM60. Was not overly impressed with the sound. It sounded very compressed and the sound stage was still very focused on the front with little or no sound coming through the atmos or back channels for that matter.

I used the sound track from A Star Is Born which I also own on Ultra Blue Ray. I have listened to Shallow and I Always Remember You This Way as my evaluation tracks when setting up the system. Big difference between Tidal and the Blue Ray. Canceled membership right away. I have a buddy with a Monolith and he is going to give it a whirl as well. I will be interested in what he hs to say.
post #11 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
  • Beatles: Sgt Pepper
Thanks, weekendtoy! I knew someone on here would know if there were any music titles on Atmos Blu-ray. I'll start looking.
post #12 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Beatles: Sgt Pepper
There's also, Beatles - Abbey Road
weekendtoy and myhikingboots like this.

post #13 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Yep... Currently, Atmos audio from Tidal does not appear to work on the Amazon Fire devices
Quote:

Thanks for posting guys!

Thanks for the feedback. After hearing the above reply's, I'm not going to even try to get this to work since I got a Firestick and Cube. Makes me wish sometimes I had sprung for the pricy Apple 4K TV or Shield Pro. Maybe eventually they will get the Firestick and Cube working.

post #14 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 02:02 PM
216dB Shockwave of pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post
Thanks for the feedback. After hearing the above reply's, I'm not going to even try to get this to work since I got a Firestick and Cube. Makes me wish sometimes I had sprung for the pricy Apple 4K TV or Shield Pro. Maybe eventually they will get the Firestick and Cube working.
I tried them all. With zero luck. So the Apple 4k and Shield Pro don’t work either. I’m hoping that the new version of Tital just has not seeded in my area yet? One can hope!

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #15 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Quote:
I tried them all. With zero luck. So the Apple 4k and Shield Pro don’t work either. I’m hoping that the new version of Tital just has not seeded in my area yet? One can hope!
That could be. I have an Apple TV 4K, connected on HDMI to the Trinnov Altitude. I didn't have Tidal on the ATV as an app, but I set up the 60 day Hi Fi trial with my account info and then installed the Tidal App on ATV. I signed in, then got a prompt to verify a code that I was sent to type in on my iPad (also on the same network as the ATV and the Altitude). Once I entered it in the iPad, I got a message that I was Dolby Atmos compatible and off to the races.

Did you try uninstalling then reinstalling Tidal?

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #16 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 2440
@sdrucker , did you notice any difference in sound? Did the atmos seemed compressed or muffled in any way?
post #17 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@sdrucker , did you notice any difference in sound? Did the atmos seemed compressed or muffled in any way?

For what it's worth, the Altitude shows the playback of the Atmos tracks as Atmos/Dolby TrueHD, 48 khz, and 12.8 Mbps. I have the REM disc so I have to do a proper comparison against the BD.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #18 of 71 Old 05-29-2020, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 2440
Okay thanks @sdrucker
post #19 of 71 Old 05-30-2020, 05:43 AM
216dB Shockwave of pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
That could be. I have an Apple TV 4K, connected on HDMI to the Trinnov Altitude. I didn't have Tidal on the ATV as an app, but I set up the 60 day Hi Fi trial with my account info and then installed the Tidal App on ATV. I signed in, then got a prompt to verify a code that I was sent to type in on my iPad (also on the same network as the ATV and the Altitude). Once I entered it in the iPad, I got a message that I was Dolby Atmos compatible and off to the races.

Did you try uninstalling then reinstalling Tidal?
Hi sdrucker,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did delete app and restart then reload the app on each device. I tried it again this morning and it worked on the Apple 4K TV, but did not work on the Fire Cube 2nd Gen or the Shield Pro. But any progress is good and I will take it. So thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate your help here!

Still confused why its not working on the Cube or Shield? I did the delete and reload reboot sequence on each unit 3 times. Kept getting the Message "System does not support Dolby Atmos" Using other apps like Netflix, VUDU Atmos worked every time. Bugs remain for now.

Have a great Weekend Sir!

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #20 of 71 Old 05-30-2020, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried it again this morning and it worked on the Apple 4K TV, but did not work on the Fire Cube 2nd Gen or the Shield Pro.
Glad to hear you at least got one to work!

So looks like the current score is :

Apple 4K TV = 4 (updated)
Firestick/Cube = 0
Shield Pro = 0

Hopefully Tidal will get the bugs worked out soon or this may never even get off the ground.

If any brave souls manage to get the Firestick/Cube or Shield running with Tidal Atmos please let us know!

Last edited by JJHXBR; 05-31-2020 at 06:58 AM.
post #21 of 71 Old 05-30-2020, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
  • Beatles: Sgt Pepper
Although it exists and been publicly demo'd, the Atmos version of Sgt Pepper has not been publicly released (which is a damn shame). I own the expensive Sgt Pepper box set with the Blu-ray with DTS-HD MA 5.1 and Dolby True HD 5.1 but no Atmos. I wish they would release the Atmos mix on Blu-ray without having to buy another expensive box set again.

Abbey Road was released in Atmos and sounds great on my system.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman

Last edited by kokishin; 05-30-2020 at 07:32 PM.
post #22 of 71 Old 05-30-2020, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tried in FireTV 4K and Shield TV Pro and no luck.
Apple TV 4K - Dolby Atmos music is working fine.
JJHXBR and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.
post #23 of 71 Old 05-30-2020, 04:19 PM
216dB Shockwave of pain

A pattern emerges. Kind of. Only a few data points so far. Score looks to be 4/0/0 in favor of Apple 4kTV.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #24 of 71 Old 05-30-2020, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I downloaded the ATV 4K Tidal app yesterday and was up and running in less than 5 minutes.

Color me impressed !

Last edited by bobbyhollywood; 05-31-2020 at 06:41 AM.
post #25 of 71 Old 05-31-2020, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
I just downloaded the official app into my Shield TV [2017] linked it via PC no problems, showed my favorites and all that jazz, in fact I had an Atmos compilation playlist saved from earlier since my phone is compatible [Note 10+] Anyway hit play and on the bottom I had a message appeared that said "playing back in stereo, device is not compatible to play Atmos" or something along those line.

Tidal needs to look into this the Shield is the most complete device out there that is able to stream Atmos on any apps it support. And yes I've been a Tidal Hi-Fi subscriber for a year now.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun

Last edited by thehun; 05-31-2020 at 12:36 AM.
post #26 of 71 Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 AM
216dB Shockwave of pain

On a positive note. Did a long listening demo yesterday. Played mostly the Jazz ATMOS playlist, but also played a few selection from other playlists. Some Classical , Pop and the Rock list.

My impressions. Firstly there seems to be a gain issue. Another Words the MV must be set considerably higher when streaming ATMOS versus PCM 2CH. At first I thought this was a obvious result of compression. However, after many hours I came to a different conclusion. The Gain difference seems to be due to a much lower noise floor and vastly wider Frequency range dynamics.

The Music in ATMOS was inspiring, crystal clear and well engineered. The sound stage is very dynamic and instrumental placement enhanced the musical experience. Much like a live Band in a Jazz club, the presentation is superb and transforms your listening experience as to that of being front center row at a live stage performance. I truly enjoyed the immersion and impressive dynamics of the Songs I demoed.

Goosebump inducing. All my listening experiences so far, were using the Apple 4KTV. As @thehun pointed out. Tidal needs to fix the problem with the Shield not working at this platform may present the bet hardware chain to produce the very best sound quality path. That is pure subjecture on my part since there is no way to test my hypothesis.

What Tidal is endeavoring to deliver here is in my mind a Major move to take Atmos Music mainstream and thusly transform the home Music experience as Dolby Atmos has done for the Home Movie experience.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #27 of 71 Old 05-31-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
For what it's worth, the Altitude shows the playback of the Atmos tracks as Atmos/Dolby TrueHD, 48 khz, and 12.8 Mbps.
What? They use True HD? and at that bitrate might as well have a 4k picture streamed too. Something doesn't add up there.

The Hun
post #28 of 71 Old 05-31-2020, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
What? They use True HD? and at that bitrate might as well have a 4k picture streamed too. Something doesn't add up there.
FilmMixer confirmed in the regular Atmos thread that it's DD+, converted and output as PCM by the ATV.
sdrucker likes this.
post #29 of 71 Old 05-31-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhollywood View Post
FilmMixer confirmed in the regular Atmos thread that it's DD+, converted and output as PCM by the ATV.
Yes I know that's what it should be, however not even True HD requires 12.8 MBps streaming bit rates let alone the lossy DD+....

Having said that there can be no conversion as the Atmos metadata would be lost. Atmos has to be decoded by the downstream device not the player, so ATV must stream it unaltered to the receiver/pre/pro/soundbar.

The Hun
post #30 of 71 Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Have the ATV no luck so far just Dolby Surround
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version