Top Ten Best Surround/High Rez Releases? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #61 of 260 Old 10-25-2006, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post

How would you compare Montreal to Paris as fara as sound quality?

Live in Paris was my first exposure to Diana and I was hooked. I have the Look of Love SACD dual disc. I'm not a fan of every song she does, but I love the talent.

Diana Krall "Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival" is only Dolby Digital 5.1 with no DTS track like "Live in Paris" but I like the two equally well. Both are excellent.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 260 Old 11-09-2006, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For anyone considering the SACD of DSOTM, I strongly recommend they get hold of the Alan Parsons DVD-A mix (not commercially available AFAIK, but downloadable via the torrents). It is quite different, and in my opinion, a more enjoyable mix.

Dave
post #63 of 260 Old 11-13-2006, 04:12 AM

Just found this thread. Re Fleetwood Mac's "Never Goin' Back Again": The added "lead" guitar is, IMO, one of the better arguments for keeping artists from tampering with a finished work. To me (as a guitarist) Buckingham's "lead" is nothing more than what we pickers call "noodling"--truly lame notes that are completely unnecessary and needlessly distracting in a song whose genius lies in its stark simplicity.

Once it's released it's done. Remix carefully for surround, OK, but otherwise keep the artist's aging paws off! (It's very hard to believe this was done without LB's permission.)

There are two Nickel Creek SACDs that are mind-blowing for acoustic instruments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 260 Old 11-13-2006, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hancock View Post

There are two Nickel Creek SACDs that are mind-blowing for acoustic instruments

I really like acoustic music in high resolution 5.1 but I'm not a big fan of bluegrass (I should give Nickel Creek a chance, though, because as I understand it they're not bluegrass in the Bill Monroe sense).

Can anyone recommend a few good acoustic music SACD or DVD-A discs? For example, I'm a big fan of John Fahey, Richard Thompson and Nick Drake, so I guess I veer more toward the folk and rock side of the spectrum than the country/bluegrass or jazz fusion end (I absolutely hate Bela Fleck).

Any suggesions?
post #65 of 260 Old 11-13-2006, 08:58 AM

You won't be disappointed with Nickel Creek's "This Side" on SACD--it's not bluegrassy at all an the sound quality is amazing. Chris Thile, mandolinist extraordinaire with the group, has a fantastic SACD release entitled "Not All Who Wander Are Lost."

FWIW, Bela Fleck doesn't resonate with me either. I mean, it's a five string banjo fer cryin' out loud!
post #66 of 260 Old 11-13-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post

I really like acoustic music in high resolution 5.1 but I'm not a big fan of bluegrass (I should give Nickel Creek a chance, though, because as I understand it they're not bluegrass in the Bill Monroe sense).

Can anyone recommend a few good acoustic music SACD or DVD-A discs? For example, I'm a big fan of John Fahey, Richard Thompson and Nick Drake, so I guess I veer more toward the folk and rock side of the spectrum than the country/bluegrass or jazz fusion end (I absolutely hate Bela Fleck).

Any suggesions?

Negative ones: Avoid the Silverline releases of Fairport's "Close to the Wind" and RT's "The Old Kit Bag." They're horrible, fake-echo-in-the-surrounds mixes inferior to the standard CDs in every way. I'm sure you already have "Brothers in Arms." You might like Mark O'Connor's Hot Swing Trio "In Full Swing" (surround SACD), if you like acoustic jazz.

RichC
post #67 of 260 Old 11-13-2006, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post

Any suggesions?

Consider the two David Elias SACD's at $9.99 plus shipping each. You can listen and buy here:

http://cdbaby.com/group/davideliascd

Chris
post #68 of 260 Old 11-13-2006, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbW View Post

1 Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden (SACD)

This is the reason that I decided to come out of the woodwork to post. This album was not on a single list, and I would either venture that it's because people didn't know it was available on SACD (it's a hard to find European only pressing along with The Colour of Spring) or because you all think Talk Talk was just that 80's band that sang the new-wave hit "All you wanna do is Talk Talk...Talk Talk Talk Talk.etc". For those of you in the latter camp!

Put me in the latter camp. I moved overseas about when this came out.
I saw it for sale at Tower last week but didn't buy it. Then I read this thread, went back to Tower and of course it's gone.
So the moral of this story (not this thread) is go to your local, Tower going out of business sale. Everything was 50% off today.
post #69 of 260 Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Patricia Barber- "Modern Cool", is a very nicely re-mastered 2-channel SACD mix with great material. What really stands out (to me) is how "real" and "natural" the bass comes across.
post #70 of 260 Old 11-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Patricia Barber- "Modern Cool", is a very nicely re-mastered 2-channel SACD mix with great material. What really stands out (to me) is how "real" and "natural" the bass comes across.

I bought this SACD a couple of years ago. It is truly reference quality sonically, but Barber's music just didn't do it for me, so I didn't buy any of the other Barber SACD's, of which there are a few more.
post #71 of 260 Old 11-14-2006, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post

I bought this SACD a couple of years ago. It is truly reference quality sonically, but Barber's music just didn't do it for me, so I didn't buy any of the other Barber SACD's, of which there are a few more.

yeah, Patricia Barber's music is definitely different, has a very obvious mood of sorts.
However, the arrangements are very nice. Seems most all of her hi-rez releases are some the most expensive I've seen (anywhere from like $18.00 to $32.00).
post #72 of 260 Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

yeah, Patricia Barber's music is definitely different, has a very obvious mood of sorts.
However, the arrangements are very nice. Seems most all of her hi-rez releases are some the most expensive I've seen (anywhere from like $18.00 to $32.00).

I bought 3 of her CD's since I wasn't willing to pay the price for the SACD and I like her really well but I am surprised she is so popular here since she is so different. Her live CD, "A Fortnight in France" is the one I play the most.

Chris
post #73 of 260 Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

I bought 3 of her CD's since I wasn't willing to pay the price for the SACD and I like her really well but I am surprised she is so popular here since she is so different. Her live CD, "A Fortnight in France" is the one I play the most.

I'll have to check that "live" one out.

It's funny, I don't know much about Patricia Barber, but how is it that someone of her lesser-known stature is able to have a music catalog with so many "special format" versions available (SACD's, etc.,...)? You'd think someone, especially from the pop world, would have more hi-rez versions available- ie. Mariah Carey, Christina Auguilera, Madonna, or Whitney Houston, etc.,.. (I don't believe any of whom have any such products on the market- that I've seen).
post #74 of 260 Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

James Taylor- "Hour Glass" (SACD), is absolutely one of the most beautifully sounding things I've heard. Almost perfectly mixed.
post #75 of 260 Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I saw a Ricky Martin SACD yesterday. Any comments on this one? Anyone.....?

SACD library.
post #76 of 260 Old 11-17-2006, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'll have to check that "live" one out.

It's funny, I don't know much about Patricia Barber, but how is it that someone of her lesser-known stature is able to have a music catalog with so many "special format" versions available (SACD's, etc.,...)? You'd think someone, especially from the pop world, would have more hi-rez versions available- ie. Mariah Carey, Christina Auguilera, Madonna, or Whitney Houston, etc.,.. (I don't believe any of whom have any such products on the market- that I've seen).

MFSL licenses and tries to sell artists that will appeal to audiophiles. I don't know that the other artists you mention are going to have many fans willing to pay the crazy price some people are willing to pay for MFSL SACD releases. It is strictly a low quantity, high profit per unit approach to the business. It is a tiny niche market that is being served. Mainstream popular artists are better served by the major labels but once in a while MFSL will get a popular album and sell minuscule quantities of it as well. Patricia Barber is an artist with a small but loyal fanbase including upscale purchasers. I am glad her music is available on CD, that works for me since her CD's sound good as well. I would say she is a serious musician, with no chance of mainstream success and she is not for everybody nor does she attempt to be.

Chris
post #77 of 260 Old 11-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers View Post

My only comment on that is...it's a good thing SACD doesn't support video.

Brad
post #78 of 260 Old 11-17-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers View Post

ha! I ran across a Jennifer Lopez SACD at BB yesterday. Funny stuff.
post #79 of 260 Old 11-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Britney Spears on DVD-A!!!!!!
post #80 of 260 Old 11-20-2006, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
1. Roxy Music - Avalon
2. Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls
3. Talking Heads - Remain in Light
4. Talking Heads - Speaking In Tounges
5. Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
6. Dire Straits - Bothers in Arms
7. Diana Krall - All
8. REM - Document
9. Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
10. The Church -
post #81 of 260 Old 11-25-2006, 08:40 PM

i agree with most of the recommendations here but would add Ryan Adams' Gold CD. The Elton John discs are really amazing. the James Taylor discs are also exquisitely produced. I just wish hi-res would live on. I really want some Led Zepplin on hi-res along with things like Tori Amos, Pinback, well just more, more, more.
post #82 of 260 Old 11-25-2006, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfoton View Post

The Elton John discs are really amazing. the James Taylor discs are also exquisitely produced.

you're exactly right! I enjoy playing, both, my Elton John and James Taylor SACD's more than most because they're produced so well. That James Taylor "Hour Glass" is un-believeably nice sounding.
post #83 of 260 Old 11-27-2006, 01:27 PM

I have to thank those that recommended the Nickle Creek - This Side SACD. It isn't my usual type of music, but this selection really is amazing. The music is pleasant and lively, and the SQ is top notch. It is the best SACD I own to date. Great recommendation,and as others have said, it is not Bluegrass.

I picked up the Beatles LOVE DVD-A and it is terrific.
Eagles HFO - DTS is well done.
Toy Matinee DVD-A - Nice

Those are the stand outs that I have heard, so far.

Darrell
post #84 of 260 Old 11-27-2006, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbW View Post

Wow - this took a lot of thought. I'm not used to that! Let me count down backwards with an explanation where appropriate:

10: Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (DVD-Audio)
This is one of two DVD-Audios on my list but it's my favorite 5.1 mix of any of the Steely Dan/Fagen releases (although Gaucho is reeeeeeal close). New Frontier gives me goosebumps.

9. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (SACD)

8. Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Boy Named Charlie Brown (Stereo SACD)
This is a fantastic performance plain and simple, and when you consider that it's over 40 years old, it is just astonishing as to the resolution, the warmth, and clarity. What is it about piano that reproduces so wonderfully in SACD?

quick note: I don't have A Charlie Brown Christmas on SACD (or the Monster Super-Duper Disc version for that matter) so maybe one of those would replace this entry? I've been struggling with which one to get and my indecision is getting the best of me. Anyone have any insights? Did Monster nail it?

7. Oscar Peterson (SACD Stereo) Exclusively For My Friends Vol I-VI
This six disc collection has to be bought individually which is unfortunate, but well worthwhile if you're a Peterson fan. Again, we're talking about recordings from the 60's, but it feels like it could have been recorded yesterday. It's like getting a private concert, which was basically the venue for the recording.

6. Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed (DTS Audio)
Immersive orchestral-pop recording with great 5.1 Surround Mix.

5. Boys II Men - II (DTS)
Ok, there goes my street cred right out the virtual window. This is a guilty pleasure to be sure, but let me frame it properly. This was one of the first DTS Surround Sound mixes/releases ever made. I remember playing this oh-so-many years ago on this ridiculously expensive Sherwood Newcastle receiver that I bought back in the day that was the first to offer BOTH DTS and Dolby Digital playback!! This was the demo disc that Sherwood used with DTS reps in the room to introduce the receiver. I was blown away then, and it's still a great demo disc because of the incredibly aggressive surround mix. Those that have heard it will understand. Drums stereo separated in the back surrounds; harmonies isolated vocal by vocal and sent to individual speakers; an unbelievable effort.

4. Queen - A Night at The Opera (DVD-Audio)
Need I say more? Great 5.1 mix.

3. Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee (DTS)
Cult pop fave with fantastic 5.1 playback. I wouldn't expect anything less from a pop band co-fronted by well known producer Patrick Leonard. The lead singer Kevin Gilbert died way too young and I just feel sooo lucky that I was able to see him live a couple of times before the end. This album is a great testament to his talents although I heartily recommend searching out his internet-only released posthumous album The Shaming Of The True or his incredible cover of Kashmir if you can find it. One more DTS-related tangent would to recommend Patrick Leonard's soft jazz release Rivers which also has a gorgeous soundstage in 5.1.

2. Beck - Sea Change (SACD)

This is about as defining an SACD release as I have ever heard. It is both state of the art (with original production by Nigel Godrich) and completely immersive. Kudos to those that have also placed it on their list because it is certainly not the most commercial, or accessible of Beck's catalog and yet is so rewarding for those that don't mind a more introspective, quieter Beck. Wow.

1 Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden (SACD)

This is the reason that I decided to come out of the woodwork to post. This album was not on a single list, and I would either venture that it's because people didn't know it was available on SACD (it's a hard to find European only pressing along with The Colour of Spring) or because you all think Talk Talk was just that 80's band that sang the new-wave hit "All you wanna do is Talk Talk...Talk Talk Talk Talk.etc". For those of you in the latter camp, please look at the rest of my list and understand that I take this seriously and wouldn't put an 80's pop group as my #1. These guys took a redefining left turn when they were at their most successful and lost their recording contract with EMI as a result of this release! While this was an "Alternative" CD in only the most technical sense, it is the most beautiful, poetic, and challenging soundscape I have ever heard. To underline a point, their eventual followup (Laughing Stock) was released on Verve (although that was also an odd pairing)!

A psychedelic, organic, swirling 6 song opus that goes on for about 45 minutes with one song blending into the next, this has a very Dark Side of the Moon feel to it, and highly recommended for those that love that album or Sea Change. It's the perfect album to play from beginning to end on a quiet night with the lights out, candles lit and no distractions.

This is one of those rare recordings that takes the listener to another place and the elitest secrecy of knowing you're one of the few that know about this treasure makes it all the more special. Seek this out.

Cheers (and while I'm hiding under my desk, I welcome your comments)

Robb

P.S. As one quick aside, I would certainly have placed Pink Floyd's DSotM on the list but I have to be honest, I don't have a multichannel mix of it as yet so I didn't think it fair to include something I haven't heard. I have a Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Gold CD version of it from many moons ago, and that has been the recording I have treasured of it thus far. I'm sure I will pick up the SACD eventually and especially with the validation now of seeing it appear on so many other's lists!!

Holy cow - I just picked up the DVD-A of The Beatles - Love and I'm sitting here amazed. What a complete surprise!!! Add this to my list into the middle third somewhere and we'll call it a tie so I don't have to pull Donald Fagen off!

Highly recommended!!

RobbW
post #85 of 260 Old 11-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is Violator really worth it on SACD?

We bought the SE with regular CD and DVD with 5.1 mix and it lacks just about everything. No matter how loud you turn it up it has no feeling to it at all.

I have DSOTM SACD and its the first one I ever bought and only listened to it once, found it to be more gimic than anything.

My personal favorites are all the Porcupine Tree DVD-A's, Beck's Sea Change on DVD-A, and REM's Around the Sun in DVD-A. They all show off high quality engineering especially REM which to me is one of the cleanest recordings I've heard. Wife loves the Eagles Hotel California too.

NIN's With Teeth is excellent also but it really helps if you have larger rears for this one. I can hear where my smaller Deftech BPX2's are lacking in definition, with a bigger and more full rear I suspect this would sound even better. This is a money spender for me, it points out a lot of things in my system I could improve.

We have Diana Krall's SACD(forget the name) and it also is a very clean cut...she only has one SACD correct?

Guess its time for me to get DSOTM out again for a listen. I did listen to it before I got my ICBM so I'll take it for another spin.

This is a pretty good list, going to cost me some more money

[EDIT]

I just sat through the first couple of tracks on DSOTM on SACD. I never listened to it again after I hooked up my ICBM but its a huge improvement. Now the house shakes as it should

I also bought Bjork's Vespertine and although I like Bjork this DVD is just grating to me...am I missing something with it?

One to stay away from, Glenn Phillips Albulum(or something to that effect), I bought it because we're big TTWS fans but its terrible.
post #86 of 260 Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post

We have Diana Krall's SACD(forget the name) and it also is a very clean cut...she only has one SACD correct? .

Diana Krall has 4 surround sound high resolution discs:

"Love Scenes"
"The Girl in the Other Room"
"The Look of Love"
"When I Look in Your Eyes"

I believe all 4 were released in DVD-A and SACD although I can't guarantee you can find them all in either format. Her two concert DVD-V's are as good as the high resolution releases in my opinion when you factor in getting to watch her. I have read reports that "The Girl in the Other Room" SACD sounds better than the DualDisc DVD-A.

Chris
post #87 of 260 Old 11-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
We have "Look of Love"

I'll have to dig up the rest.

Thanks
post #88 of 260 Old 11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post

We have "Look of Love"

I'll have to dig up the rest.

Thanks

I just picked up "Love Scenes" from Buy.com. Buy.com has $20 off $50 purchase and that works out to about $11 if you can find $50 worth. The Beatles "Love" CD/DVD-A works out to about $12 after discount.

Chris
post #89 of 260 Old 11-29-2006, 05:37 PM

My favorites in order...

1) The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (DVD-Audio)

2) Beck - Sea Change (SACD)

3) The Beatles - Love (DVD-Audio)

4) The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed (SACD)

5) Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (SACD)

Other great discs (no order)

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (SACD)
Yes - Fragile (DVD-Audio)
The Doors - L.A. Woman (DVD-Audio)
All the Diana Krall discs (SACD)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (SACD)
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (SACD)
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (DVD-Audio)
Queen - A Night at the Opera (DVD-Audio)
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People (DVD-Audio)
R.E.M. - The Best of R.E.M. (DVD-Audio)

I'm probably missing a few...
post #90 of 260 Old 01-07-2007, 10:26 AM

Liked: 11
Because it belongs in this thread, you've got to put the new Beatles Love DVD-A on this list. AMAZING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page