What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 484 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3135Likes

post #14491 of 14627 Old 07-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
So glad to hear you like the Verse SACD! All of the Patricia Barber SACDs sound excellent and are well worth seeking out. The new "unmastered" Cafe' Blue SACD sounds excellent as well. I like it better than the MFSL SACD which is hard to find and quite expensive. I wish MOFI would reissue all of her SACDs so everyone would have a chance to get them at sane prices. Enjoy !

https://www.importcds.com/patricia-b...iABEgJZJfD_BwE
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...n=new&qid=&sr=

Bill
I ended up playing the disc all evening! I have the unmastered version of Cafe Blue (based on your original post when it came out) and don't have the MFSL version to compare, however may not be missing anything based on your comment.

Would be great to have them all reissued as they are fantastic recordings!
Bill Mac and JA Fant like this.

Preet
My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection
HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's Atmos, SVS SB16 Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14492 of 14627 Old 07-04-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
Yesterday received Alan Parsons - The Secret on DVD, today the mailman brought me The Guess Who - Rockin’/Best of Volume II on SACD.
post #14493 of 14627 Old 07-05-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Elton John: S/T (SACD 5.1)

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14494 of 14627 Old 07-09-2019, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks to the Acoustic Sounds 4th of July sale, I received these four today:

1. Pink Floyd 5.1 SACD "Wish You Were Here"

2. Dusty Springfield 2-ch SACD "Dusty In Memphis"

Plus "3-channel" SACDs ('Living Stereo')
3. Boston Symphony/Charles Munch: Ravel "Bolero" & Debussy "Images"
4. Chicago Symphony/Fritz Reiner and Jascha Heifetz: "Brahms & Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos"
weekendtoy and Tornado Red like this.

"In the choice between changing ones mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith
post #14495 of 14627 Old 07-10-2019, 05:51 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanr View Post
thanks to the acoustic sounds 4th of july sale, i received these four today:

1. Pink floyd 5.1 sacd "wish you were here"

2. Dusty springfield 2-ch sacd "dusty in memphis"

plus "3-channel" sacds ('living stereo')
3. Boston symphony/charles munch: Ravel "bolero" & debussy "images"
4. Chicago symphony/fritz reiner and jascha heifetz: "brahms & tchaikovsky violin concertos"
eclectic!

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #14496 of 14627 Old 07-11-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 282

Bill Mac and weekendtoy like this.

Avatar - My guard dog, Bogi - RIP

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #14497 of 14627 Old 07-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
I've finally slowed down a bit (haven't bought anything in 2 weeks!) so these are my last purchases in the past 6 weeks (all surround and luckily all were new/sealed except one):

Bob Marley & The Wailers - African Herbsman (DVD)
)

Best to take care to avoid the Silverline discs. Should be a crime what those guys did to music.
Morgan.
post #14498 of 14627 Old 07-11-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
Best to take care to avoid the Silverline discs. Should be a crime what those guys did to music.
Morgan.
There are some Silverline disc's however that are pretty good. Motorhead: Ace Of Spades and their collection of Inside the Music series for example.

There are other discs like Blues Traveler: Truth Be Told where the surround mix is somewhat tame (helped by channel level adjustments and AtMOS DSU's) but the stereo side of things is really good as compared to it's CD counterpart.

But yea you're right, the vast majority of the Silverline product is pretty terrible. I think the worst surround disc I own is Sileverlines release of Dokken's Erase the Slate. And that's saying a lot because I got quite a few stinkers in the collection.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #14499 of 14627 Old 07-11-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
There are some Silverline disc's however that are pretty good. Motorhead: Ace Of Spades and their collection of Inside the Music series for example.

There are other discs like Blues Traveler: Truth Be Told where the surround mix is somewhat tame (helped by channel level adjustments and AtMOS DSU's) but the stereo side of things is really good as compared to it's CD counterpart.

But yea you're right, the vast majority of the Silverline product is pretty terrible. I think the worst surround disc I own is Sileverlines release of Dokken's Erase the Slate. And that's saying a lot because I got quite a few stinkers in the collection.
I've got a Richard Thompson album on DualDisc, The Old Kit Bag, which isn't bad, but nothing special, as far as fidelity and the surround mix go. The worst surround disc I own is that African Herbsman, no two-channel mix, horrible surround mix, and sounds like a third generation cassette dub. I think the only other Silverline DVD-A I have is a Jane Monheit album which again has no two-channel mix, a horrible surround mix, and less fidelity than the CD.
I may have painted with too broad a brush, but I would check carefully to make sure whatever your buying is one of the good ones because most of what I've heard from them was clearly produced by people who did not care at all about the quality of their product.
Morgan
weekendtoy likes this.
post #14500 of 14627 Old 07-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Hootie & the Blowfish Cracked Rear View 25th Anniversary box set with DVD-A
post #14501 of 14627 Old 07-16-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 4652
The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Electric Ladyland - 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

Was picking up stuff on Amazon Prime Day, and noticed I had "saved" this item awhile ago, and never purchased it.

Threw it right in the cart!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland 50th.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	2591480  

Spoiler!
post #14502 of 14627 Old 07-19-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Maybe I missed it but does HDtracks have a multichannel section? (not sure where to post this question)

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #14503 of 14627 Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Maybe I missed it but does HDtracks have a multichannel section? (not sure where to post this question)
No. Acoustic Sounds has some from the Seattle Symphony and audite has multichannel downloads for its own products. There may be some other audiophile labels that do as well.
Morgan
post #14504 of 14627 Old 07-19-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No. Acoustic Sounds has some from the Seattle Symphony and audite has multichannel downloads for its own products. There may be some other audiophile labels that do as well.
Morgan

Thanks. That's too bad.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #14505 of 14627 Old 07-19-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 392
King Crimson-The Power To Believe cd/dvd-a set

The best way to listen to music is in 5.1 imho.
post #14506 of 14627 Old 07-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That's too bad.
Yes, I agree. Many great multichannel mixes out there that can be hard to access. Not sure why it would be such a challenge to put them up for download, but I guess it is. Linn never put any of their multichannel mixes up for download, that I'm aware of, even though they have their own download service, and they seem to have stopped producing them since they've stopped releasing SACDs.
One has to presume that eventually the multichannel mixes from the majors will be available for download, just will we live long enough to see it. Also, you can be fairly sure that whenever they do the price structure will be so obnoxious at first that people will still be scrabbling around for the old discs.
Morgan
post #14507 of 14627 Old 07-19-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I agree. Many great multichannel mixes out there that can be hard to access. Not sure why it would be such a challenge to put them up for download, but I guess it is. Linn never put any of their multichannel mixes up for download, that I'm aware of, even though they have their own download service, and they seem to have stopped producing them since they've stopped releasing SACDs.
One has to presume that eventually the multichannel mixes from the majors will be available for download, just will we live long enough to see it. Also, you can be fairly sure that whenever they do the price structure will be so obnoxious at first that people will still be scrabbling around for the old discs.
Morgan
It's odd how much of a niche thing that it is in the age of surround sound. But I guess with the advent of streaming and ear buds those that care about sound fidelity are in the small minority.
post #14508 of 14627 Old 07-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That's too bad.
Meant to say that it has been reported that Universal (if memory serves) has remixed a bunch of tracks in Dolby Atmos. Wasn't clear if those were whole albums or how and when they would be made available.
Morgan
post #14509 of 14627 Old 07-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
It's odd how much of a niche thing that it is in the age of surround sound. But I guess with the advent of streaming and ear buds those that care about sound fidelity are in the small minority.
Multi-channel makes little difference to people who don't actually sit down and listen to music, and very, very few do.
As for quality, it has always been the case. When I was a teenager I knew people whose music collections consisted of songs recorded off the radio, about a decade ago I was surprised to discover there were people (I would suspect many, many people) whose music collection consists of YouTube playlists. I was visiting a friend a few days ago I've known for decades, music has always been a big part of his life, he's introduced me tons of great stuff, but he's pretty much satisfied with YouTube, mp3s of any quality, etc. Really the only reason he was getting vinyl, cassettes, CDs was because that was the only way it was available, and again this is a real music lover. I would suspect most people are indifferent to whether music is in mono, two-channel, or multi-channel, even those that can tell the difference.
In addition, for surround, having to have all those speakers, and have them set-up correctly has always been a problem. There was the notion that multi-channel home theatre set-ups would lead to a solid presence for multi-channel music, but that hasn't proved to be the case. But, they haven't gone away, which is something. You might have to get the Collector's Edition to get it, but at least they perceive some sort of market there (and, I'm sure there is creator push there, some musicians want their music available that way).
I'm hopeful that soundbars and the novelty of Atmos might, at least, lead to a little bump in availability in the not so distant future. Streaming delivery may also be helpful in it persisting, the cost of admission for the media is a not insignificant issue. Even someone who might appreciate surround and have the equipment to make use of it might balk at paying $40 more for something than the two-channel (and, I'm talking for regular releases here, not Collector's Editions).
Morgan
post #14510 of 14627 Old 07-19-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Multi-channel makes little difference to people who don't actually sit down and listen to music, and very, very few do.
As for quality, it has always been the case. When I was a teenager I knew people whose music collections consisted of songs recorded off the radio, about a decade ago I was surprised to discover there were people (I would suspect many, many people) whose music collection consists of YouTube playlists. I was visiting a friend a few days ago I've known for decades, music has always been a big part of his life, he's introduced me tons of great stuff, but he's pretty much satisfied with YouTube, mp3s of any quality, etc. Really the only reason he was getting vinyl, cassettes, CDs was because that was the only way it was available, and again this is a real music lover. I would suspect most people are indifferent to whether music is in mono, two-channel, or multi-channel, even those that can tell the difference.
In addition, for surround, having to have all those speakers, and have them set-up correctly has always been a problem. There was the notion that multi-channel home theatre set-ups would lead to a solid presence for multi-channel music, but that hasn't proved to be the case. But, they haven't gone away, which is something. You might have to get the Collector's Edition to get it, but at least they perceive some sort of market there (and, I'm sure there is creator push there, some musicians want their music available that way).
I'm hopeful that soundbars and the novelty of Atmos might, at least, lead to a little bump in availability in the not so distant future. Streaming delivery may also be helpful in it persisting, the cost of admission for the media is a not insignificant issue. Even someone who might appreciate surround and have the equipment to make use of it might balk at paying $40 more for something than the two-channel (and, I'm talking for regular releases here, not Collector's Editions).
Morgan

A lot of good points there. I have been a music lover all my life, man I thought everyone recorded music off the radio lol. Those were the days.

But really I do get it. I'm just now at a place in life where I can invest a modest amount of money into an audio setup. But I am happier with low quality music than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #14511 of 14627 Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 3466
Just bought:

Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade AF 4.0 Quad SACD

Bill
impetigo, JA Fant and Tornado Red like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #14512 of 14627 Old 07-20-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
A lot of good points there. I have been a music lover all my life, man I thought everyone recorded music off the radio lol. Those were the days.

But really I do get it. I'm just now at a place in life where I can invest a modest amount of money into an audio setup. But I am happier with low quality music than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think we're pretty much on the same page on all that. Definitely recorded stuff off the radio, back in the day. Not so much the top 40 stuff, but was lucky enough to have access to what was not yet called "Alternative" music late at night. Often put a tape in as I went to bed so I could listen to at least some of what I would miss while sleeping. Mostly that got recorded over but had a couple tapes of stuff that caught my attention and got saved, and added to tape-to-tape. Definitely not high fidelity, but highly enjoyable.
Morgan
post #14513 of 14627 Old 07-20-2019, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Just bought:

Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade AF 4.0 Quad SACD

Bill
Nice, I got this one a few months ago and really like it. I'm pretty fond of most quad mixes, which I find to be more consistent (and consistently good) than modern 5.1 mixes, and this one is the same. I need to listen to it again soon.
Bill Mac likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #14514 of 14627 Old 07-21-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Count me as another quadra-phile and have been one for lo these past 40+ years!

Most of my quad hardware is SANSUI -- all of it still functional, all of it still eminently capable of pleasingly 'de-coding' out-of-phase/ambient 2-channel recording content -- but now 'n' then I'll fire up a KENWOOD quad amp or an Electro-Voice decoder just for comparison purposes.

When the 'Audio Fidelity' label began releasing the original 4.0 quad mixes on SACD I was ecstatic!

Among the many they released that way, which I own, the standing favorites are:

LaBelle "Nightbirds"
Loggins & Messina "Full Sail"
Guess Who "The Best of the Guess Who"
Bread "The Best of Bread"
Various Artists [Dylan, Santana, Nilsson et al] "The Collection"

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Nice, I got this one a few months ago and really like it. I'm pretty fond of most quad mixes, which I find to be more consistent (and consistently good) than modern 5.1 mixes, and this one is the same. I need to listen to it again soon.
Agreed: 5.1 mixes are often compelling listening BUT...
Those who experienced (and remember) the DISCRETE quad original releases, on tape or CD-4, often find 5.1 somehow...lacking.

Hard to explain, really, but case-in-point:

After spending a minor fortune acquiring the complete Moody Blues SACD catalog, re-mastered in 5.1, I found more than a few cuts that disappointed me.
Not that they were in any way 'bad' just nowhere near as DRAMATIC as remembered.
(Yeah, that even included from the relatively lo-fi 8-track quad tapes.)

And on the vinyl/optical DISC fronts...

My SACD 5.1 Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" *IS* marvelous.
But the virgin vinyl SQ-encoded British pressing I owned was far more dramatic.
As was the price it commanded when I finally parted with it.

"In the choice between changing ones mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Last edited by MadmanR; 07-21-2019 at 11:13 AM.
post #14515 of 14627 Old 07-21-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanR View Post
Count me as another quadra-phile and have been one for lo these past 40+ years!

My SACD 5.1 Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" *IS* marvelous.
But the virgin vinyl SQ-encoded British pressing I owned was far more dramatic.
As was the price it commanded when I finally parted with it.
The Dark Side of the Moon "Immersion Edition" has Alan Parsons' Quad Mix, as well as the 5.1 and two-channel on Blu-ray.
Morgan
post #14516 of 14627 Old 07-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Finally landed Beck - Sea Change!!

Preet
HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's Atmos, SVS SB16 Ultra
post #14517 of 14627 Old 07-22-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanR View Post
Loggins & Messina "Full Sail"
Yep, that it's a great 4.0 mix. One of my favorite surround mixes.

AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)

Last edited by impetigo; 07-22-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #14518 of 14627 Old 07-22-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 3466
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
Finally landed Beck - Sea Change!!
Which disc format? It's an outstanding 5.1 mix! Just beware that the tone of the songs is a bit on the dark side. I believe Beck wrote the songs after breaking up with his girlfriend. "The album features themes of heartbreak, desolation, solitude and loneliness (from Wikipedia)". One of my favorite tracks is "Already Dead" a real uplifting song .

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #14519 of 14627 Old 07-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Which disc format? It's an outstanding 5.1 mix! Just beware that the tone of the songs is a bit on the dark side. I believe Beck wrote the songs after breaking up with his girlfriend. "The album features themes of heartbreak, desolation, solitude and loneliness (from Wikipedia)". One of my favorite tracks is "Already Dead" a real uplifting song .

Bill
LOL...Already Dead. I have some of that darker music in my regular rotation

I got the SACD-MCH (Geffen Records)...looking forward to giving it some spins!
Bill Mac likes this.

Preet
post #14520 of 14627 Old 07-23-2019, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
I got the SACD-MCH (Geffen Records)...looking forward to giving it some spins!
Nice, I have the blu-ray version. Is this one of the rare surround albums that was released on all three major formats (SACD, DVD, blu-ray)?

I agree it's a nice 5.1 mix, but I can't listen to it for too long or I'll fall asleep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page