Official REL Subwoofer thread... - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #1021 of 1194 Old 03-21-2019, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
My REL Stadium III have been in the shop for 5 months. REL no longer supports this legacy product! They have left me out in the cold. I have the Stadium at Ft. Worth Audio and they are now having a hard time finding some FET Output Devices. We need 2 each of Exicon 20N20 and Exicon 20P16. Evidently these are from England. Anyone know of a good source for parts for subwoofers here in the USA? Thanks
Were you able to get anything done on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1194 Old 04-04-2019, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Anyone here has their Rel subwoofer connected to a Nad avr through high level input?

Thanks.

55" LG B6 - Nad T758 V3- Anthem MCA 225- B&W 600 s2 speaker series - Stereo Rel S2
post #1023 of 1194 Old 04-05-2019, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganross View Post
Hi,
Not sure if necessary, but the LFE cable ground wire is connected to the receiver screw and the rel ground screw.
Hi,

good u solved the issue, my room is almost ready & plan to add another Rel to my setup which has the Nad t758 v3.

Wondering if connecting only the high level input from the Rel to the Nad with the Primary way mentioned by Rel will give me a hum?

Or do i have to use an LFE cable like you are using with a ground wire? the audio quest one? if you disconnect your LFE cable from your setup do you get a HUM?

Let me know as i m paranoid if i should order another subwoofer cable or not.

Thanks a ton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1194 Old 04-05-2019, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspider View Post
Hi,

good u solved the issue, my room is almost ready & plan to add another Rel to my setup which has the Nad t758 v3.

Wondering if connecting only the high level input from the Rel to the Nad with the Primary way mentioned by Rel will give me a hum?

Or do i have to use an LFE cable like you are using with a ground wire? the audio quest one? if you disconnect your LFE cable from your setup do you get a HUM?

Thanks a ton.
No hum for me!
blackspider likes this.
post #1025 of 1194 Old 04-05-2019, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeriko View Post
No hum for me!
which NAD avr & REL subs you got? they are hooked up through High Level Input?

Thanks.
post #1026 of 1194 Old 04-05-2019, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
which NAD avr & REL subs you got? they are hooked up through High Level Input?

Thanks.
Complicated!

High-Level connection! But to AMP!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1111.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2549200  
post #1027 of 1194 Old 04-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeriko View Post
Complicated!

High-Level connection! But to AMP!
How do you like the center/ sub combination to create a full range center? How did you set the crossover and levels to get a (I hope) seamless match? Do you intend to use the same technique for your mains as well?

I’ve been thinking about trying this with my center as a possible first step to making the change across the board.
post #1028 of 1194 Old 04-07-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks a ton.

Not sure. I know that since it is for movies and music I have both LFE and high level connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1029 of 1194 Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks a ton.
FWIW, I have my REL connected to an integrated amp via high level connection with the black wire going to ground on the amp. I also have an LFE cable connected to my AV receiver but left the ground wire disconnected. I have no hum for my system and I also use an audioquest LFE cable. Its possible you may introduce a ground loop if you just connect the LFE cable as the outer ring of the LFE cable may be grounded. if you do get a hum, I would then just disconnect the high level black wire to signal ground.
post #1030 of 1194 Old 04-23-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone pickup the HT1508 yet? Looking at ordering one in June.
post #1031 of 1194 Old 04-23-2019, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd be interested to hear one of the HT1508's for theatre stuff next to my 212SE...although looking at the specs it seems like the 212 still plays lower. For the price though, the 1508 seems pretty decent! If I've read correctly, though, it wouldn't be very great for a 2ch/HT combo setup as it doesn't have the Neutrik connector to run the high-level input for 2ch?
paintpolisher likes this.
post #1032 of 1194 Old 05-18-2019, 05:20 PM

Liked: 0
Hi Guys... need some advice...

I’ve had a T9i for several months now.. to go along with my B&W 703s2. Love the set up. The sub is so sweet but I always wanted to “upgrade” to the S/3 SHO.. since it goes down much deeper -6db 22HZ.. and has a 400w amp vs the 350w of the T9i..

I have now gone through 2x S/3s (bought one and returned it cause I though it was bad)

I have been doing a ton.. I mean a ton of research.. and I am very disappointed in the S/3.

I honestly thought it was going to be a huge improvement from the T9i.. I mean it’s almost 2x the price.

The sub is hardly audible... it is extremely weak!! I went through the entire process of breaking in over 3-4 days.. followed RELs instructions and I can hardly even tell it’s there.. it sounds flat, no depth at all.

Even in HT mode, watching movies... it’s weak, I had to plug the T9i back cause it was not enjoyable.

The T9i have is much much louder and deeper... both are hooked up the same and I have to turn the gain on the S3 to 100% and still not that loud... the t9i is set at 45% and I have to turn it down sometimes cause it’s so loud.

Anyone else think their S3s lack volume levels?
post #1033 of 1194 Old 05-19-2019, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It sounds like a phase issue. When it's playing, are the cones moving, especially at high volume? Is it placed in the same spot as your T9i?
post #1034 of 1194 Old 05-20-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hey all. I will be getting a pair of Monitor Audio PL100's or a pair of dynaudio special 40's which will be in a room which is 11'5ft x 16'6ft and the ceilings are 7'10ft. This gives me a total area of 189 sq ft and a total volume of approx 1480 cubed ft. Using the rel subwoofer finder it suggests an s/3 SHO sub. I am under the impressions that this sub will overload my room and cause problems due to its output. Can you please confirm if I should indeed buy the s/3 SHO or instead go with a pair of smaller subs such as the t5i or t7i? My system is 100% music and I am only concerned about musical integration between the subs and the mains. Thanks for the insight.

Laptop -> iFi iSilencer 3.0 -> Wireworld Silver Starlight USB 1m -> iFi iPurifier2 ->Hegel H360->Wireworld Eclipse 7->Kef Refrence 1
post #1035 of 1194 Old 05-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrey93 View Post
Hey all. I will be getting a pair of Monitor Audio PL100's or a pair of dynaudio special 40's which will be in a room which is 11'5ft x 16'6ft and the ceilings are 7'10ft. This gives me a total area of 189 sq ft and a total volume of approx 1480 cubed ft. Using the rel subwoofer finder it suggests an s/3 SHO sub. I am under the impressions that this sub will overload my room and cause problems due to its output. Can you please confirm if I should indeed buy the s/3 SHO or instead go with a pair of smaller subs such as the t5i or t7i? My system is 100% music and I am only concerned about musical integration between the subs and the mains. Thanks for the insight.
dual subs is always better, best is to shoot a mail to REL Customer Care & they will be the right people to guide you & clear your thoughts .They are indeed very helpful.

Cheers.
post #1036 of 1194 Old 05-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
dual subs is always better, best is to shoot a mail to REL Customer Care & they will be the right people to guide you & clear your thoughts .They are indeed very helpful.

Cheers.
Just sent them off an email. Thanks!

Laptop -> iFi iSilencer 3.0 -> Wireworld Silver Starlight USB 1m -> iFi iPurifier2 ->Hegel H360->Wireworld Eclipse 7->Kef Refrence 1
post #1037 of 1194 Old 05-22-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkshift View Post
It sounds like a phase issue. When it's playing, are the cones moving, especially at high volume? Is it placed in the same spot as your T9i?
Yes Sir, exact same spot and even tried positioning it in opposite corners. Played with the different phase settings and then even turned on auto phasing (had it previously off) on my AVR. No change.

Yes the cone moves but not that much.. after several more days of “breaking in”.. it’s gotten a little better.. but still not any where close to the output level of my t9i.

It’s so weird.. I can’t seem to figure out if I’m doung something wrong or it it’s meant to be like this.

As I mentioned, if I swap out the S/3 with the T9i and make no tweaks and use the exact same cables, exact same set up.. the t9i is 2x more output.
post #1038 of 1194 Old 05-24-2019, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One thing I'm surprised by is the lack of comparative reviews to other manufacturers.

I mean, has anyone compared to the REL T5i to popular sealed subs like the SVS SB1000? Or the T7i / T9i to the SB3000?

Both have good returns policies, so I guess I could try both. And see if the SVS is HUGELY better for HT and if the REL is HUGELY better for music.

I get the sense that REL owners only consider REL. And that most of "the home theater internet" thinks REL must be overpriced based on specs, and therefore not worth considering for music or movies.

Both views are short sighted in my opinion. All OEMs deserve an unbiased comparison.
post #1039 of 1194 Old 05-24-2019, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czilla9000 View Post
One thing I'm surprised by is the lack of comparative reviews to other manufacturers.

I mean, has anyone compared to the REL T5i to popular sealed subs like the SVS SB1000? Or the T7i / T9i to the SB3000?

Both have good returns policies, so I guess I could try both. And see if the SVS is HUGELY better for HT and if the REL is HUGELY better for music.

I get the sense that REL owners only consider REL. And that most of "the home theater internet" thinks REL must be overpriced based on specs, and therefore not worth considering for music or movies.

Both views are short sighted in my opinion. All OEMs deserve an unbiased comparison.
The fact of the matter is that they are way overpriced compared to other ID subs and not to mention, are far outclassed. It is a head scratcher to me.
post #1040 of 1194 Old 05-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
The fact of the matter is that they are way overpriced compared to other ID subs and not to mention, are far outclassed. It is a head scratcher to me.
What REL models have you heard vs. the competition?

I'm trying to find someone who has compared both.
post #1041 of 1194 Old 05-24-2019, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A mate of mine had an SVS SB13 Ultra and we both compared that directly with the REL S5 I had at the time and we both found the S5 to integrate much better into music listening than the SVS. It was tighter, faster and a more refined sound overall.

We both then ended up upgrading to a REL 212SE each and couldn't be happier. Once dialed in the REL integrates incredibly well into the system. Rather than sounding like a sub thumping away it blends with the soundstage and just sounds like an extension of the front speakers. The 212 also has some serious balls for HT duties...it's already at the point where I have to consider my neighbours when watching a movie as it carries through their house (standalone house on a 385sqm block).
post #1042 of 1194 Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvingLopez82 View Post
Yes Sir, exact same spot and even tried positioning it in opposite corners. Played with the different phase settings and then even turned on auto phasing (had it previously off) on my AVR. No change.

Yes the cone moves but not that much.. after several more days of “breaking in”.. it’s gotten a little better.. but still not any where close to the output level of my t9i.

It’s so weird.. I can’t seem to figure out if I’m doung something wrong or it it’s meant to be like this.

As I mentioned, if I swap out the S/3 with the T9i and make no tweaks and use the exact same cables, exact same set up.. the t9i is 2x more output.
How do you have it connected? If the phase is correct and the cones are hardly moving, then it could be the signal level the S/3's amplifier is seeing is low.
post #1043 of 1194 Old 05-27-2019, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aloha,

I have a 34 day old REL HT/1003 subwoofer that I’ve been using regularly. I connect to my preamp via line level, both left and right channels. Everything has worked great. Yesterday, when in power “auto” mode, the standby red light turns to white like normal when music is being played, but no sounds comes out of the sub. The cones don’t move, nothing. Doesn’t matter what the phase is set to. I’ve let the sub sit for hours, both unplugged and plugged, hoping it would reset, to no avail.

I double checked the rca preamp output to make sure it’s working property by connecting it to my power amp’s rca inputs, and sound flows normally (the REL was disconnected to do this). So its not an issue with the preamp. The REL seems to be receiving the signal because the light turns white.

Any trouble shooting ideas would be appreciated. REL is closed today.

Thanks.
post #1044 of 1194 Old 05-28-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I called REL. They believe its a bad amp and are sending out a new one......
post #1045 of 1194 Old 05-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
A mate of mine had an SVS SB13 Ultra and we both compared that directly with the REL S5 I had at the time and we both found the S5 to integrate much better into music listening than the SVS. It was tighter, faster and a more refined sound overall.
I assume both subs were not level matched and properly calibrated.

The S5 is a 550W, 20Hz at -6 dB, while the SVS has a 1000W amplifier, 20Hz at -3db. The S5 was probably "tighter, faster" due to having no output bellow 20Hz ...
post #1046 of 1194 Old 06-02-2019, 06:22 AM

Liked: 2
Rel S3 LFE problem

Hello all,

I have a pair of Rel S3’s and get very little LFE performance. I have LFE cranked to max on the subs, have LFE+Main and everything crossed over in the processor at 100hz. I have set speakers to small for the sake of testing the LFE signal. It almost seems the power delivery is faulty or it’s not able to get the full spectrum. High level was disconnected during the LFE setup and tests.

When using a much older t7i, I actually get significantly more output with he LFE at a lower setting on the sub. I would think the s3’s are defective, but it seems like a low probability that they would send two defective subs.

The processor is an mx122.

I called rel and am awaiting a response.

Any thoughts, comments would be most appreciated.
post #1047 of 1194 Old 06-02-2019, 06:27 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvingLopez82 View Post
Hi Guys... need some advice...

I’ve had a T9i for several months now.. to go along with my B&W 703s2. Love the set up. The sub is so sweet but I always wanted to “upgrade” to the S/3 SHO.. since it goes down much deeper -6db 22HZ.. and has a 400w amp vs the 350w of the T9i..

I have now gone through 2x S/3s (bought one and returned it cause I though it was bad)

I have been doing a ton.. I mean a ton of research.. and I am very disappointed in the S/3.

I honestly thought it was going to be a huge improvement from the T9i.. I mean it’s almost 2x the price.

The sub is hardly audible... it is extremely weak!! I went through the entire process of breaking in over 3-4 days.. followed RELs instructions and I can hardly even tell it’s there.. it sounds flat, no depth at all.

Even in HT mode, watching movies... it’s weak, I had to plug the T9i back cause it was not enjoyable.

The T9i have is much much louder and deeper... both are hooked up the same and I have to turn the gain on the S3 to 100% and still not that loud... the t9i is set at 45% and I have to turn it down sometimes cause it’s so loud.

Anyone else think their S3s lack volume levels?
Yes, i will likely return mine as output seems muted when compared to my Old T7i. It almost as they are not getting enough power or not receiving the full signal.
post #1048 of 1194 Old 06-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kern View Post
Yes, i will likely return mine as output seems muted when compared to my Old T7i. It almost as they are not getting enough power or not receiving the full signal.
for sure both rel s3 can't have the same issue. I noticed this too with my S2 when connected only to lfe input & speakers on the avr set to small. The output was barely there so then tried high level input with it & was blown away.

Hope some other members can share some light on this?

CHeers.
post #1049 of 1194 Old 06-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kern View Post
for sure both rel s3 can't have the same issue. I noticed this too with my S2 when connected only to lfe input & speakers on the avr set to small. The output was barely there so then tried high level input with it & was blown away.

Hope some other members can share some light on this?

Cheers.
post #1050 of 1194 Old 06-02-2019, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Recently had the amp on my REL Storm III repaired and was reminded why I love REL subs for music. Once properly setup, the sub disappears and the mains have a coherent, almost 3D sound from top to bottom. Now I’m considering the S5 or 212SE for my 400 sq ft living room. The sub will be primarily for music however, I may also use it to compliment a couple Monoprice Monolith 12 subs already setup for my HT. Right nowI’m thinking the S5 would be sufficient but the 212se would be endgame. Well, two 212se subs would really be the ultimate but that’s not in my budget right now.

Pro HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rel , Subwoofers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page