Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 1166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13559Likes

post #34951 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I currently have a single L12 and am curious of how well it would / wouldn’t pair with a second 12” Rythmik sub. Should I only consider a second L12 in this scenario, or is it ok to consider an L22 or LVX12 to pair with it? Not in a rush and just curious which way to go.

On a similar note, I convinced my brother-in-law to get the LVX12 and other than his wife being unenthusiastic about it’s physical size in their dedicated theater room, he and the kids think it’s quite the treat =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34952 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Driver distortion is a function of cone stiffness and amplifier characteristics among other things. A larger, heavier cone driven by a more powerful (or at least lower output impedance) can have lower distortion up to the point of cone breakdown. There are other factors like thermal heating and such. The Rythmik's servo design substantially reduces the difference so a G25 is essentially as clean as an F8, though will not play as high, and produces significantly more output. Higher output capability generally means lower distortion at lower output levels although, again, the servo greatly helps in that regard.

Other than a different output (target) curve for HT I cannot imagine why you'd want to deal with two different sub setups. And accurately aligning ported to sealed subs is quite a challenge. If you only have space and funds for two, get the G25's and call it a day. If you have room for four, then four F8's might do a better job at providing the best in-room experience without jumping through a bunch of hoops to change from music to HT. Disclaimer: I have enough issues dealing with getting subs and mains integrated well that I wouldn't want to deal with two setups, and IME/IMO what is great for music works for HT and vice-versa. Why would you want less-accurate bass for HT?

IMO - Don
Hey thanks for the reasoning buddy.. I was considering all angles and I kept leaning towards the G25HP's as replacements but was too concerned about losing out on something the F8's potentially offered more of and then considering how much work it would be switching back and forth which I realize I do quite a bit I was really second guessing myself.. I appreciate you talking some sense into me. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Kinda late He already contacted us to change his 2 x F8SE order for a pair of G25HPs in Piano Black. I think this is the best choice for him as he can run the G25HPs for music and movies and sell the pair of PB16-Ultras. BTW, his room is 1300 cu ft
Indeed, and thanks for all the information up to this point. I've attached a pic of the room.. I have a decent amount of adsorption in the space.. lol but not enough to contain even the PB16's. Output was not the reason for this purchase.. it was accuracy.. but having output without limit is nice too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I'm evaluation a G25HP now and posted a review on the F8 about 3 years ago so I have first hand experience with both of them.

Due to the larger drivers and more powerful amp the G25HP has more presence than the F8 but I don't know that it's any less articulate, to me they sound equally precise. What speakers are you using? That can factor in when deciding how big/small a subwoofer to get.
I think I read you F8 review a few times over the past couple of weeks. Your feedback on this exact comparison is invaluable, thanks for sharing! I'm currently using SVS Ultra's for speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3887.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	725.8 KB
ID:	2447538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3881.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	798.9 KB
ID:	2447540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3871.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	826.0 KB
ID:	2447542  
post #34953 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3830 Post(s)
Liked: 4703
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicron View Post
Hey thanks for the reasoning buddy.. I was considering all angles and I kept leaning towards the G25HP's as replacements but was too concerned about losing out on something the F8's potentially offered more of and then considering how much work it would be switching back and forth which I realize I do quite a bit I was really second guessing myself.. I appreciate you talking some sense into me. lol.

Indeed, and thanks for all the information up to this point. I've attached a pic of the room.. I have a decent amount of adsorption in the space.. lol but not enough to contain even the PB16's. Output was not the reason for this purchase.. it was accuracy.. but having output without limit is nice too .

I think I read you F8 review a few times over the past couple of weeks. Your feedback on this exact comparison is invaluable, thanks for sharing! I'm currently using SVS Ultra's for speakers.
WOW... Thats Is A Freaking Gorgeous Room, Richard!!! The G25HPs are going to scare you in that room. Get your calibrated mic ready to take measurements with REW because I bet you you would get flat response down to 7Hz easily due to room gain!!

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34954 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There is only one thing that concerns me. The G25HP has the amp on the side. Because it has dual driver with dual grills you can have the amp facing to the left or right side, it doesn't matter. Now the PB-16 is 21.5" wide, the G25HP is 18" wide. Not sure if 3.5" would be enough for the power cable and XLR connector in case you go balanced. Other option would be getting a 90 degrees RCA or XLR cable and a 90 degrees power cable as well to get more room for the amp.
atomicron and BluesDaddy56 like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #34955 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
WOW... Thats Is A Freaking Gorgeous Room, Richard!!! The G25HPs are going to scare you in that room. Get your calibrated mic ready to take measurements with REW because I bet you you would get flat response down to 7Hz easily due to room gain!!
Thanks, been working on it for about a year. That sounds exciting.. I haven't addressed many of the rattles at 18hz.. I better get get an extra roll of duct tape ready. I've definitely never heard/felt 7hz on purpose so that will be fun.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #34956 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, been working on it for about a year. That sounds exciting.. I haven't addressed many of the rattles at 18hz.. I better get get an extra roll of duct tape ready. I've definitely never heard/felt 7hz on purpose so that will be fun.
What speakers configuration is that you have? I counted 7 bed speakers and 7 hight speakers? Is that Auro 3D?

post #34957 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
There is only one thing that concerns me. The G25HP has the amp on the side. Because it has dual driver with dual grills you can have the amp facing to the left or right side, it doesn't matter. Now the PB-16 is 21.5" wide, the G25HP is 18" wide. Not sure if 3.5" would be enough for the power cable and XLR connector in case you go balanced. Other option would be getting a 90 degrees RCA or XLR cable and a 90 degrees power cable as well to get more room for the amp.
I've thought about this as well. My plan was to have the connections facing the walls on either side. Im pretty sure i'll have enough room to fit it this way. I'll make it work.

Speaking of going balanced. Whats the best way to connect these subs to the AVR? I have a mDSP2x4HD right now.. 1:1 in/out for each sub. I'm using Monolith Subwoofer RCA cables atm.
post #34958 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
What speakers configuration is that you have? I counted 7 bed speakers and 7 hight speakers? Is that Auro 3D?
its 7.2.6 and +.2 for Auro yes.. 15 total speakers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3884.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	714.3 KB
ID:	2447566  
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #34959 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've thought about this as well. My plan was to have the connections facing the walls on either side. Im pretty sure i'll have enough room to fit it this way. I'll make it work.

Speaking of going balanced. Whats the best way to connect these subs to the AVR? I have a mDSP2x4HD right now.. 1:1 in/out for each sub. I'm using Monolith Subwoofer RCA cables atm.
I see two AVRs? Or is the Marantz an amp and a Denon X8500H?

post #34960 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I see two AVRs? Or is the Marantz an amp and a Denon AVR8500X?
Correct again, Yes I have a Marantz SR8012 and a Denon X8500.. I started with the 8012.. loved it but wanted 13.1 Auro and x.x.6 atmos so purchased with X8500 but ended up liking the sound of the 8012 more for the front stage/vocals and music.. so have split my LCR preouts and am bi-amping my LCR with the 8012.. this gives me the rich warmth of the 8012 where I want it, and the rigid multi channel separation from the 8500 for everything else.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #34961 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

Holy crap!!! That’s a beautiful space. I dunno what improvement the new subs will make, but Man - I’m having a hard time figuring out why you would jack with the beauty of the precision placement... You’ve really thought this room out. The symmetry, the placement is crazy. This has to be one of the cleanest looking small theater rooms I’ve ever seen.

Man, I need another scotch.

DJ

2kW fully active, fully balanced 2 channel Vaders

Overkill IS my middle name.
post #34962 of 40450 Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2621 Post(s)
Liked: 2377
Quote:
its 7.2.6 and +.2 for Auro yes.. 15 total speakers.
That has to be the record: 15 speakers and 2 subs with four 15” drivers coming in a tiny 1300ft^3 room. WOW . Where are you again?
atomicron likes this.
post #34963 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djreef View Post
Holy crap!!! That’s a beautiful space. I dunno what improvement the new subs will make, but Man - I’m having a hard time figuring out why you would jack with the beauty of the precision placement... You’ve really thought this room out. The symmetry, the placement is crazy. This has to be one of the cleanest looking small theater rooms I’ve ever seen.

Man, I need another scotch.

DJ
Thanks.. yes.. it is always on the mind no doubt.. I appreciate you noticing because my wife could care less. I made some additional touches with Hue lighting as well which really took it up a notch. I don't see adding the G25HP's as messing with the symmetry because they are pretty much the same size as the PB16's
G25HP = 18"(W) x 24" (H ) x 25-1/2"(D) with grille - (19" W with amp heatsink)
PB16U = 21.7" (W) x 25" (H) x 28.3" (D) (without grille)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
That has to be the record: 15 speakers and 2 subs with four 15” drivers coming in a tiny 1300ft^3 room. WOW . Where are you again?
Its funny that after running with this setup for a while now it seems totally normal. Even the subs dont seem large anymore but rather "proper" sized.. perspective is a crazy concept. The thought of adding a pair of dual opposed 15's that are powerful, efficient, and articulate is a bit daunting.. but im not looking back. Oh im in AZ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4080.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	2447584  
femi and audiofan1 like this.
post #34964 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Thanks.. yes.. it is always on the mind no doubt.. I appreciate you noticing because my wife could care less. I made some additional touches with Hue lighting as well which really took it up a notch. I don't see adding the G25HP's as messing with the symmetry because they are pretty much the same size as the PB16's

Its funny that after running with this setup for a while now it seems totally normal. Even the subs dont seem large anymore but rather "proper" sized.. perspective is a crazy concept. The thought of adding a pair of dual opposed 15's that are powerful, efficient, and articulate is a bit daunting.. but im not looking back. Oh im in AZ..
Okay, in a room like that totally dedicated, I've got to ask: why haven't you gone with a 4k projector that would full most of that front wall with the picture?
enricoclaudio likes this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #34965 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3272 Post(s)
Liked: 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabRangoon View Post
I currently have a single L12 and am curious of how well it would / wouldn’t pair with a second 12” Rythmik sub. Should I only consider a second L12 in this scenario, or is it ok to consider an L22 or LVX12 to pair with it? Not in a rush and just curious which way to go.

On a similar note, I convinced my brother-in-law to get the LVX12 and other than his wife being unenthusiastic about it’s physical size in their dedicated theater room, he and the kids think it’s quite the treat =)
Rythmik subs are intentionally designed to similar frequency response characteristics so you can mix them up -- to a point. Ported and sealed subs have very different phase and frequency response around and below the tuning frequency and so are difficult to integrate. Thus of your list the L12, L22, F12, F15, F18, F1037 etc. should work OK (the last is not quite finished yet ) but I would not choose the ported LVX12 (or any other ported model).

Awesome about your brother-in-law; now, you're the sub expert of the family!

HTH - Don
CrabRangoon likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #34966 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Cozy. I am guessing the chair pads include seatbelts for when you crank it up, especially with G25's coming. I'd say more but need to get back to work and am struggling with a minor bit of envy...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #34967 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
Okay, in a room like that totally dedicated, I've got to ask: why haven't you gone with a 4k projector that would full most of that front wall with the picture?
I had considered it for a month or 2. The main thing that kept me from doing that was not wanting to loose my true blacks from the OLED. I have about a 35 degree field of view of the 55”OLED right now sitting 7 feet from it so it actually provides a good experience. I’m really particular about my displays and the only options I’m considering would be a >55” 2016 C6, G6, or E6 OLED at this time. Not ready to move on from 3D, or perfect blacks.

Quote:
Cozy. I am guessing the chair pads include seatbelts for when you crank it up, especially with G25's coming. I'd say more but need to get back to work and am struggling with a minor bit of envy...
haha, kind of.. the chairs are equipped with 2 ADX bass shakers each.. which I keep very very low and they were installed when I kind of needed them when I had dual SB2000’s. Once the PB16’s were in place the bass shakers were backed way down..I can imagine it will be the same for the G25’s.

One thing I’m going to miss is the remote and smart app of the Pb16’s.. I’m constantly changing the gain on the subs to accomadate the others in the house so I guess I’ll have to get use to the SW Adjust option of my AVR instead because there is no way I’ll be getting up and down to turn a knob.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #34968 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Hey Nick, spoke with Brian today and we are going to keep some stock/inventory of DS800 drivers and HX580 amps for Jim Salk so he can use them to build custom F8s and Exotica 3 speakers. Please, call Jim Salk and let him know that he can order the kits from us to build your custom F8s.

So does this mean the F8 will be phased out in its current offering?
post #34969 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Rythmik subs are intentionally designed to similar frequency response characteristics so you can mix them up -- to a point. Ported and sealed subs have very different phase and frequency response around and below the tuning frequency and so are difficult to integrate. Thus of your list the L12, L22, F12, F15, F18, F1037 etc. should work OK (the last is not quite finished yet ) but I would not choose the ported LVX12 (or any other ported model).

Awesome about your brother-in-law; now, you're the sub expert of the family!

HTH - Don

Ok, I gotta bite... typo or some super secret project? I searched the thread and found no other reference so was curious to ask.
Kirkobangz likes this.
post #34970 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
So does this mean the F8 will be phased out in its current offering?
Yes, the F8 is not coming back after the current inventory is gone. We will keep components in stock only for Jim Salk and to cover warranty issues.

post #34971 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ Talk about the G25hp, when are you going to publish your review, Mr. jman?
I'm about half done with the rough draft but I've been traveling a lot recently - for work and personally - so time has been hard to come by unfortunately.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #34972 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 3360
Quote:
OK, so that's a lot of firepower in a small space. Guess you like an immersive experience, eh?

Quote:
Make it Gorilla tape instead. If you get a pair of G25HP's in a room that size you're going to have to deal with a lot more than the sympathetic vibrations at 18Hz. You can also put the shakers up on ebay...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #34973 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Ok, I gotta bite... typo or some super secret project? I searched the thread and found no other reference so was curious to ask.
Nah, joke to bring out the curious (there's always one -- you win! ). I am not aware of any plans to build a 10 x 37" sub, but then again am not an insider, so who knows? Ask Enrico or Brian. However, I think that might be overkill even for this crowd...

post #34974 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nah, joke to bring out the curious (there's always one -- you win! ). I am not aware of any plans to build a 10 x 37" sub, but then again am not an insider, so who knows? Ask Enrico or Brian. However, I think that might be overkill even for this crowd...

ha! of course I would take the bait...
post #34975 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:

I was looking at options for this. Question.. since the sub source will be RCA will there be a benefit from using the RCA to XLR adapter for LFE vs straight into the RCA LFE on the amp? If going straight into the the RCA LFE can I just run it into the single white or red input like with all other amps?

Also for power cables, what gauge is the stock power cable? Is it a 3 wire 10 gauge cable?

Last edited by atomicron; 08-28-2018 at 03:42 PM.
post #34976 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Considering an FV25HP.

Room is 14' x 21' x 7.5' with about a 7' opening to the rest of the downstairs opposite where the subwoofer would be (about 700 sq ft more).

I currently have a JTR 118HT that does a fantastic job in the space. I'm replacing it only because the JTR is walnut and I'm moving it to another system that has walnut speakers.

The room the Rythmik would go in is about 50/50 music/movies and I'm overly intrigued with the fact that all the reviews say that nothing sounds like a Rythmik. Main speakers are JBL S3900.

Any concerns at all with this choice of sub?
post #34977 of 40450 Old 08-28-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzog View Post
Considering an FV25HP.

Room is 14' x 21' x 7.5' with about a 7' opening to the rest of the downstairs opposite where the subwoofer would be (about 700 sq ft more).

I currently have a JTR 118HT that does a fantastic job in the space. I'm replacing it only because the JTR is walnut and I'm moving it to another system that has walnut speakers.

The room the Rythmik would go in is about 50/50 music/movies and I'm overly intrigued with the fact that all the reviews say that nothing sounds like a Rythmik. Main speakers are JBL S3900.

Any concerns at all with this choice of sub?
The only thing I can say is that if you like the 118HT for music, you will be amazed with the FV25HP performance.
Soulburner and muscles like this.

post #34978 of 40450 Old 08-29-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 790
One of my L22s makes a mechanical "clicking" sound when certain subsonic signals appear to be present. I've noticed it on movies that apparently have sudden signals at or that begin below the audible thresh hold. The cones move, but no sound other than the clicking. The other L22 doesn't make this noise on the same passages. I've not experienced this playing music, just with movies. Thoughts?

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #34979 of 40450 Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
The only thing I can say is that if you like the 118HT for music, you will be amazed with the FV25HP performance.
I must try the FV25HP!
post #34980 of 40450 Old 08-29-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
One of my L22s makes a mechanical "clicking" sound when certain subsonic signals appear to be present. I've noticed it on movies that apparently have sudden signals at or that begin below the audible thresh hold. The cones move, but no sound other than the clicking. The other L22 doesn't make this noise on the same passages. I've not experienced this playing music, just with movies. Thoughts?
Could be the sub or a bad input signal. Swap cables with the other sub and see if it follows the sub or stays with the same AVR/processor channel. Make sure the sub gain controls etc. are identical. If it stays with the sub, drop a note or call Enrico or Brian. Could be driver or amplifier issues (or both).

HTH - Don
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , integra dtc 9.8 , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page