Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 1223 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12129Likes

post #36661 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Had also tried out an.SVS sb-3000, while it was tight it seemed a bit lacking for energy in its sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36662 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 3805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagayan kid View Post
Thats the wsy Svs subs are to my ears. I tried one and it seemed very low end focused. While it was awesome it was not as well rounded for my taste. I do wonder though, that the F25 would be lighter in terms of amplification. Seems like it should have the 900 watt amp that in the FV18? Sealed always seems to cobsume more power. Would that rule be that much different with servo?
Its more about the sensitive/efficiency of the drivers, and in this case, dual drivers, which increases sensitivity of the system even further. It is also about burst capability of the amp which isn't obvious based on the advertised rating of the amp. My pro audio driver will pound harder on music with probably 3-400 watts than my monster high excursion 18" deep bass driver with 2500 watts.

As per Rythmik's website, the F25 is up 1.5 dB at 20 Hz compared to the F18 despite the F18's 900 watt amp. So more output with less amp power.... a more sensitive system.

Agree with you about SVS subs. I had a PB2000 for a short time during the trial period. The low end was honestly impressive for what is was(a reasonably sized, inexpensive 12" ported sub), and it had a strong low end frequency response that gave very good shake and rumble on movies. But its limited output up higher was noticeable on music at spirited levels.
Pradeep2 likes this.
post #36663 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Quote:
Thats the wsy Svs subs are to my ears. I tried one and it seemed very low end focused. While it was awesome it was not as well rounded for my taste. I do wonder though, that the F25 would be lighter in terms of amplification. Seems like it should have the 900 watt amp that in the FV18? Sealed always seems to cobsume more power. Would that rule be that much different with servo?
Its more about the sensitive/efficiency of the drivers, and in this case, dual drivers, which increases sensitivity of the system even further. It is also about burst capability of the amp which isn't obvious based on the advertised rating of the amp. My pro audio driver will pound harder on music with probably 3-400 watts than my monster high excursion 18" deep bass driver with 2500 watts.

As per Rythmik's website, the F25 is up 1.5 dB at 20 Hz compared to the F18 despite the F18's 900 watt amp. So more output with less amp power.... a more sensitive system.

Agree with you about SVS subs. I had a PB2000 for a short time during the trial period. The low end was honestly impressive for what is was(a reasonably sized, inexpensive 12" ported sub), and it had a strong low end frequency response that gave very good shake and rumble on movies. But its limited output up higher was noticeable on music at spirited levels.
Thats interesting to know. Would the sensitivity then translate into more feeling and tonal qualities in the drivers sound? Another question, below 30hz it would take 2 or more sealed to equal output of one ported right? Does that put the F25 in the position of being 2 subs, even though its one enclosure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36664 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 3805
Quote:
Thats interesting to know. Would the sensitivity then translate into more feeling and tonal qualities in the drivers sound? Another question, below 30hz it would take 2 or more sealed to equal output of one ported right? Does that put the F25 in the position of being 2 subs, even though its one enclosure?
I would say it generally takes 2-3 sealed to equal the output of an equivalent ported sub around tune. This can be seen in Rythmik's own lineup where the FV15HP has 2 dB more output than the dual 15" F25(at 20 Hz). So it would take a third sealed sub to be 1dB higher than the single ported 15". As far as tactile effect goes, the ported sub will have more TR(tactile response) than sealed subs even at the same SPL. It might take double the output(+6 dB) or more from sealed to line up in the TR department. This only applies down low around port tune.

In fact, I know of a forum member who went from a pair of ported JTR 18" subs(cap1400 or 2400) to 8 sealed 18's. He said it takes all 8 to come close to the TR of the pair of ported subs.

Now up in the mid an upper bass, I believe the higher sensitivity drivers do have more impact and slam than a less efficient driver even at the same volume. I won't SWEAR on this, as it could just be that the low efficiency drivers are just not capable of producing transients as accurately as a more efficient driver. But, in my experience, I went from a sub that, on paper, can produce as much SPL in the mid and upper bass as I could ever use, but switching it out to a very high efficiency pro audio driver made an extremely drastic difference in the slam that I get from music. There is just no comparison. Is the SPL exactly the same? Is the pro audio driver producing much higher, uncompressed SPL during peaks and transients compared to the lower efficiency driver? Maybe. Im not sure. I suspect it could be some of both?

Ok so this was along winded answer that went off on some tangents. Does a higher sensitivity driver translate into more feeling and different tonal quality compared to a low efficiency, deep bass focused driver, especially in regards to music in chest slam? My answer is, I think so. Perhaps @Rythmik can chime in with his more informed opinion on the matter.

Part of me thinks that, although maybe we THINK that a low efficiency type driver is providing all the SPL and more that we could ever use in the mid and upper bass without distorting, compressing, etc, but perhaps it is actually squashing dynamics with an inability to accurately reproduce peaks and transients. Whereas a more efficient driver has the headroom to play these peaks accurately. The question is, if both drivers can truly play at the same SPL without compression or distortion, will the sound be different with the more efficient driver?

In my personal experience, I had two low bass style drivers that, combined, could produce in excess of 115 dB up to my 120Hz crossover. I switched one driver out to a 99dB sensitive pro audio driver, and the added slam and impact on music was drastic. I wish I had more rigorously tested things such as the frequency response between the two setups particularly in the upper regions.
Pradeep2 likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 01-06-2019 at 09:07 AM.
post #36665 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
So many good subs these days. I’m new to Rythmik and undecided about many things. I’m trying to stay away from JL’s, MK and Kreisel offerings. What’s weird is they have plenty of subs at 8 inch, 10 inch and 12s and the price goes up. In teh PSA, Rythmic and SVS they are mostly starting at 12-13 inch with 15’s and 18’s. 15’s now the norm???

IM running a miller Kreisel system with their mid level 850’s LCR, think 750’s with nice WAF natural cherry vaneers and stands. Two VX850 which are 12 inch sealed subs in same finish vaneer and very pretty. In back are strange little CS-29 surround towers that have 5 drivers per unit. I love those BTW!!!

The MK’s are nice musical subs that do just ok when the Depth charges hit U571. I have them spread in the room with an old Velodyne SMS-1 sub correction eq and it kept things nice. The SMS-1 died (not a bad thing) and while flirting with PSA’s I bought an Anti Mode 8011 and it really is quite superior. But the upgrade bug has bit. PSA has some great subs and I was set on ONE S3010 which is there version of the G25hp. Then I read about the Rythmic version which is $500 more and now intrigued. Room is 20x18 with one opening and 8ft ceilling. About 2400 Sq FT. I am only looking at Sealed and not looking for bombastic testoerone laden action movie set up. Sure I like an action movie once in a while and its great fun to blow up shyt, but movies haves more soundtrack than explosions and like most of us I want the good balance of all worlds.

PRoblem is one G25hp really won’t fit right in the ONE PLACE ONE SUB can go. Front corner. Easy to put 2 F12 in the rooms as they are just a bit larger than my MK’s (15x15x15 Cubes) where one resides in back of the room. Two E15’s about the same price as the G25 but no room for the second one in back of room. I’m given great freedom by the wife but we both agree If I want a no compromise system in the house it must be in the basement and I have a great space for that but as much fun as all this is I don’t want to sequester myself there to it to watch TV/Movies/Music. That is a finished rec room with Pool table and I have two big Outlaw Subs down there with modest infinity’s which is great fun. Living room to be refined and detailed. Most of you won’t agree with that but I like my wife more than the basement!

Space wise I can do two 12’s if need be. I can also retrofit my Mk’s With CI parts and save money and have my good looks continue. I don’t see an offering for a Single F25SE (in black piano finish but I have seen reference to it)whose footprint would be easy for the Front corner. Truth be told I prefer to have just one big nice sub and have confidence the Anti mode can keep the room under control. Currently l hve both my subs stacked to experiment in the front corner with the anti mode and it does a nice job. Output wise one big sub should handle things. The MK’s liked to be crossed over at 100hz. Rythmic has some interesting language about using the paper woofer’s at 80hz or above which adds to the confustion.
Thus my choices.
Two F25’s but space won’t allow it and perhaps its more subs than I need and budget is cooked.
Two F12’s seems about right, I can use my ASC 18x18 base trap and use Antimode to smooth it all out.
One F25 if SE can be done (Piano finish) but I don’t really read much about this sub. Footprint works just fine.
One G25 at the very top end (and it extends it!) of my budget. Output and simplicity of one sub than two also is nice. I don’t want to fiddle with this for weeks on end. It weights 185lbs which is funny as shyt too!!!
One PSA duel S3010 in ash vaneer for $1800. Good value for what it is. Weights 137lbs. Still pretty funny.
Two PSA S1510. Smaller than the F15’s than the at a $1200 each. Fits space and budget. Ash vaneer it as pretty. ITs real thought and an upgrade at $200 per sub.

I did send Rythmic an e-mail 3 days ago and no answer. Tom V at PSA freaking writes back on Christmas Day (Not expected or demanded by me BTW! He answers the phone during normal hours. Set up wise I’m more confident about that. can anyone vouch for Rythmic service?

THank you in advance. Please don’t aske me to buy two F25’s or G25’s. That is not going to happen. Yet. LOL!!!
post #36666 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 3595 Post(s)
Liked: 4283
I’m the one from Rythmik who responds emails on a daily basics. As right now, I don’t have any pendings emails. Either your email went to junk email folder or it didn’t go out. I respond emails within two hours most of the time and I can be reached by text or here in this thread so please send me your request again and I will respond later today.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #36667 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Update on paper cone SW1825 drivers

It does appear the LCL we have scheduled for these SW1825 drivers are stuck at the Long Beach Port due to congestion. We are in the process of getting more info from our forwarder. Please give us a few more days.
post #36668 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
So many good subs these days. I’m new to Rythmik and undecided about many things. I’m trying to stay away from JL’s, MK and Kreisel offerings. What’s weird is they have plenty of subs at 8 inch, 10 inch and 12s and the price goes up. In teh PSA, Rythmic and SVS they are mostly starting at 12-13 inch with 15’s and 18’s. 15’s now the norm???

IM running a miller Kreisel system with their mid level 850’s LCR, think 750’s with nice WAF natural cherry vaneers and stands. Two VX850 which are 12 inch sealed subs in same finish vaneer and very pretty. In back are strange little CS-29 surround towers that have 5 drivers per unit. I love those BTW!!!

The MK’s are nice musical subs that do just ok when the Depth charges hit U571. I have them spread in the room with an old Velodyne SMS-1 sub correction eq and it kept things nice. The SMS-1 died (not a bad thing) and while flirting with PSA’s I bought an Anti Mode 8011 and it really is quite superior. But the upgrade bug has bit. PSA has some great subs and I was set on ONE S3010 which is there version of the G25hp. Then I read about the Rythmic version which is $500 more and now intrigued. Room is 20x18 with one opening and 8ft ceilling. About 2400 Sq FT. I am only looking at Sealed and not looking for bombastic testoerone laden action movie set up. Sure I like an action movie once in a while and its great fun to blow up shyt, but movies haves more soundtrack than explosions and like most of us I want the good balance of all worlds.

PRoblem is one G25hp really won’t fit right in the ONE PLACE ONE SUB can go. Front corner. Easy to put 2 F12 in the rooms as they are just a bit larger than my MK’s (15x15x15 Cubes) where one resides in back of the room. Two E15’s about the same price as the G25 but no room for the second one in back of room. I’m given great freedom by the wife but we both agree If I want a no compromise system in the house it must be in the basement and I have a great space for that but as much fun as all this is I don’t want to sequester myself there to it to watch TV/Movies/Music. That is a finished rec room with Pool table and I have two big Outlaw Subs down there with modest infinity’s which is great fun. Living room to be refined and detailed. Most of you won’t agree with that but I like my wife more than the basement!

Space wise I can do two 12’s if need be. I can also retrofit my Mk’s With CI parts and save money and have my good looks continue. I don’t see an offering for a Single F25SE (in black piano finish but I have seen reference to it)whose footprint would be easy for the Front corner. Truth be told I prefer to have just one big nice sub and have confidence the Anti mode can keep the room under control. Currently l hve both my subs stacked to experiment in the front corner with the anti mode and it does a nice job. Output wise one big sub should handle things. The MK’s liked to be crossed over at 100hz. Rythmic has some interesting language about using the paper woofer’s at 80hz or above which adds to the confustion.
Thus my choices.
Two F25’s but space won’t allow it and perhaps its more subs than I need and budget is cooked.
Two F12’s seems about right, I can use my ASC 18x18 base trap and use Antimode to smooth it all out.
One F25 if SE can be done (Piano finish) but I don’t really read much about this sub. Footprint works just fine.
One G25 at the very top end (and it extends it!) of my budget. Output and simplicity of one sub than two also is nice. I don’t want to fiddle with this for weeks on end. It weights 185lbs which is funny as shyt too!!!
One PSA duel S3010 in ash vaneer for $1800. Good value for what it is. Weights 137lbs. Still pretty funny.
Two PSA S1510. Smaller than the F15’s than the at a $1200 each. Fits space and budget. Ash vaneer it as pretty. ITs real thought and an upgrade at $200 per sub.

I did send Rythmic an e-mail 3 days ago and no answer. Tom V at PSA freaking writes back on Christmas Day (Not expected or demanded by me BTW! He answers the phone during normal hours. Set up wise I’m more confident about that. can anyone vouch for Rythmic service?

THank you in advance. Please don’t aske me to buy two F25’s or G25’s. That is not going to happen. Yet. LOL!!!
Assuming your room is 2400 cu ft and not 2400 Sq ft, and it does not opens to another areas, here is my take:

R: That would be great as you will get low bass down to single digits with very good output

R: My room is about 2700 cu ft and I'm running a pair of F12SEs. To me is more than enough as I don't play loud but after setting up a few days ago a FV25HP in my room, I got addicted to it and now I'm running the two F12SEs along with the FV25HP.

R: The F25 is not available in piano black gloss, sorry.

R: Another great option if budget allows it. That would be the ultimate subwoofer in your room.

Another option that you may want to consider are the F18 and the E15HP2. Both of those subwoofers come with the HX1000XLR3 amp and both of them are available in Piano Black.
jamiebosco and audiofan1 like this.

Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #36669 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Quote:
I would say it generally takes 2-3 sealed to equal the output of an equivalent ported sub around tune. This can be seen in Rythmik's own lineup where the FV15HP has 2 dB more output than the dual 15" F25(at 20 Hz). So it would take a third sealed sub to be 1dB higher than the single ported 15". As far as tactile effect goes, the ported sub will have more TR(tactile response) than sealed subs even at the same SPL. It might take double the output(+6 dB) or more from sealed to line up in the TR department. This only applies down low around port tune.

In fact, I know of a forum member who went from a pair of ported JTR 18" subs(cap1400 or 2400) to 8 sealed 18's. He said it takes all 8 to come close to the TR of the pair of ported subs.

Now up in the mid an upper bass, I believe the higher sensitivity drivers do have more impact and slam than a less efficient driver even at the same volume. I won't SWEAR on this, as it could just be that the low efficiency drivers are just not capable of producing transients as accurately as a more efficient driver. But, in my experience, I went from a sub that, on paper, can produce as much SPL in the mid and upper bass as I could ever use, but switching it out to a very high efficiency pro audio driver made an extremely drastic difference in the slam that I get from music. There is just no comparison. Is the SPL exactly the same? Is the pro audio driver producing much higher, uncompressed SPL during peaks and transients compared to the lower efficiency driver? Maybe. Im not sure. I suspect it could be some of both?

Ok so this was along winded answer that went off on some tangents. Does a higher sensitivity driver translate into more feeling and different tonal quality compared to a low efficiency, deep bass focused driver, especially in regards to music in chest slam? My answer is, I think so. Perhaps @Rythmik can chime in with his more informed opinion on the matter.

Part of me thinks that, although maybe we THINK that a low efficiency type driver is providing all the SPL and more that we could ever use in the mid and upper bass without distorting, compressing, etc, but perhaps it is actually squashing dynamics with an inability to accurately reproduce peaks and transients. Whereas a more efficient driver has the headroom to play these peaks accurately. The question is, if both drivers can truly play at the same SPL without compression or distortion, will the sound be different with the more efficient driver?

In my personal experience, I had two low bass style drivers that, combined, could produce in excess of 115 dB up to my 120Hz crossover. I switched one driver out to a 99dB sensitive pro audio driver, and the added slam and impact on music was drastic. I wish I had more rigorously tested things such as the frequency response between the two setups particularly in the upper regions.
I would definitely go for the more detailed sound over the higher spl. I don't want to miss any notes in the music. Recently I have started to listen to music such as: Victor Wooten, Steve morse and buckethead. Even foynf a new and deeper appreciation for Steely Dan. The details or nuances in this music has been the attraction. I really want my system to enhance the details. I find mmissing notes kind of unravel the uniformity of the music. Some people dont mind as long as the bottom end has visceral slam. As i have started listening to more music without vocals , the details in the music are more emphasized and critical.
post #36670 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I’m the one from Rythmik who responds emails on a daily basics. As right now, I don’t have any pendings emails. Either your email went to junk email folder or it didn’t go out. I respond emails within two hours most of the time and I can be reached by text or here in this thread so please send me your request again and I will respond later today.
Good to know and appreciate the response!
post #36671 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello my room is 18’9” X 13’6” X 8’. Im considering two FV15HP. Is this considered overkill? Looking for accurate chest thumping bass. This will be primarily for home theater use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #36672 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th601 View Post
Hello my room is 18’9” X 13’6” X 8’. Im considering two FV15HP. Is this considered overkill? Looking for accurate chest thumping bass. This will be primarily for home theater use.

That is a decent sized room. Those two subs would be awesome in that room. Are you on a suspended floor or concrete and is the room sealed or open to other areas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Th601 likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev 2 with Paper cone
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - PSA MT 110sr Surrounds - 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra & Premium, Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #36673 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2528 Post(s)
Liked: 2135
Quote:
Hello my room is 18’9” X 13’6” X 8’. Im considering two FV15HP. Is this considered overkill?

Overkill? There is a volume knob on each sub, just saying
Th601 likes this.
post #36674 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
That is a decent sized room. Those two subs would be awesome in that room. Are you on a suspended floor or concrete and is the room sealed or open to other areas?

The room isn’t open to other areas and it’s located upstairs.

post #36675 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The room isn’t open to other areas and it’s located upstairs.

That is an awesome set up then. I have a similar sized room and running dual FV18s with paper cone and they sound fantastic.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - PSA MT 110sr Surrounds - 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra & Premium, Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #36676 of 39082 Old 01-06-2019, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Thanks @Rythmik for the dual F18's

I listen mostly to rock and concerts The JBL's are digitally XO'd to the F18's at 45 Hz and time aligned with mains using Audiolense. Madonna's Drowned World and Hans Zimmer Live in Prague, as examples, sound deep, tight, and musical. The L12's used previously are no slouch, as I use them with my 2nd system KEF LS50.

The transient response of the F18 is what really sold me. I am not looking for maximum output. The impulse/step response is textbook perfect:

Great fun! Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F18 side.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	2507050   Click image for larger version

Name:	F18 front.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	2507052   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL 4722 Rythmik F18.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	2507054   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL 4722 Rythmik F18 step.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	2507060  

Last edited by mitchco; 01-06-2019 at 10:29 PM.
post #36677 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3101 Post(s)
Liked: 3042
^^^ Wow! Nice job, Mitch! And nice system, too...
mitchco likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #36678 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchco View Post
Thanks @Rythmik for the dual F18's
The L12's used previously are no slouch
Great fun! Thanks again.
Is the F18 as tight and fast as the L12 for music, with the levels matched would you be able to tell the difference between the two in a blind test?
and if you could, what would those differences be for a Music ONLY setup?
post #36679 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

Overkill doesn’t occur until you can’t open the door to get in the room.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #36680 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This might be a dumb question, but my room is basically three areas, living room, dining room and kitchen can all see the home theater area. So for determining correct sub size do I try and limit it to the living room where the couch sits and measure that area?

Need one sub to replace the velodyne that I'm borrowing and my vandersteen 2Wq that won't really work for surround. My AVR is 7.2 so possible to upgrade later to 2 subs but currently just need one and pretty much 70% HT and 30% CD's.

I just just email Rythmik but just saw this thred so any help would be great. Total noobie here sorry if this is covered somewhere already. Been doing a lot of reading, but too many choices and variables. Friend (audiophile) recommended SVS or JL, my budget is about 1k, and sounds like Rythmik is a good company and makes a good product. Was thinking sealed based on wanting that great sound for music (hair raising sound), and then good for HT.
post #36681 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowball_156xxx View Post
This might be a dumb question, but my room is basically three areas, living room, dining room and kitchen can all see the home theater area. So for determining correct sub size do I try and limit it to the living room where the couch sits and measure that area?

Need one sub to replace the velodyne that I'm borrowing and my vandersteen 2Wq that won't really work for surround. My AVR is 7.2 so possible to upgrade later to 2 subs but currently just need one and pretty much 70% HT and 30% CD's.

I just just email Rythmik but just saw this thred so any help would be great. Total noobie here sorry if this is covered somewhere already. Been doing a lot of reading, but too many choices and variables. Friend (audiophile) recommended SVS or JL, my budget is about 1k, and sounds like Rythmik is a good company and makes a good product. Was thinking sealed based on wanting that great sound for music (hair raising sound), and then good for HT.
Just got your email. With that budget in mind, the best option you have is FVX15. If you increase your budget up to $1400, then the FV15HP would be my recommendation.

post #36682 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread

Quote:

The sub would see that entire area. What is the square footage? You would need to go as big as you can as the area seems large and is open so you would get no room gain. I would also go with a ported sub and spend a bit more and get the FV15HP which is the benchmark for 15 inch subs.

post #36683 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Quote:

The sub would see that entire area. What is the square footage? You would need to go as big as you can as the area seems large and is open so you would get no room gain. I would also go with a ported sub and spend a bit more and get the FV15HP which is the benchmark for 15 inch subs.

The living room is 18x16x9high
Dining is 14x11
Kitchen 10x19

It’s kind of “L” shapes.

There’s a overhead wall that comes down about 1.5’ that separates the dining and living but it’s pretty much a great room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D90878B9-8A21-4EF7-B21E-74B6CDA52712_1546915940531.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2507494  
Matt2026 likes this.
post #36684 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Quote:

Just got your email. With that budget in mind, the best option you have is FVX15. If you increase your budget up to $1400, then the FV15HP would be my recommendation.
Thanks much. I’ll check thoes two out. If i can sell the vandersteen then i can do 1400$. Just have had it for so long it’s hard to let go. lol
post #36685 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The living room is 18x16x9high
Dining is 14x11
Kitchen 10x19

It’s kind of “L” shapes.

There’s a overhead wall that comes down about 1.5’ that separates the dining and living but it’s pretty much a great room.

I stand by my recommendation above.

post #36686 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:

First off, can I say that you friend is just mean recommending JL Audio on a 1k budget? That might get you a tshirt, but little more. They probably have the worst bang for the buck of any commercially available sub. Good sub, but really expensive. I have had both JL Audio and SVS, Rythmik is a better sub, especially for mixed usage (movies/music).

Greg
serith and audiofan1 like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #36687 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Shipping to Canada

According to Rythmik's site,"Due to increasingly high shipping cost to overseas for complete subwoofers and consequently low follow-through rate after providing shipping quotes, we make the difficult decision of only selling kits to overseas customers".

I'm wondering if this means they don't ship to Canada.

Any insights?
post #36688 of 39082 Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Quote:

"First off, can I say that you friend is just mean recommending JL Audio on a 1k budget? That might get you a tshirt, but little more. They probably have the worst bang for the buck of any commercially available sub. Good sub, but really expensive. I have had both JL Audio and SVS, Rythmik is a better sub, especially for mixed usage (movies/music).

Greg"
Hey Greg, great advice sir. My friend didn’t know I was only working with 1k budget at the time of the convo. I did look at JL but realized they were out of my $ range. Definitely would like mixed use sub with good performance for both. The sub recommendations provided seem like quite a large enclosure in the ported models. Would any of the non-ported subs provide what I’m looking for? Don’t necessarily need a 15” but seems like the right size for the area. Vandersteen is actually (3)8” drivers down facing, non ported, and the Velodyne dls-r is a ported 15”.

Last edited by Lowball_156xxx; 01-08-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #36689 of 39082 Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 319 Post(s)
Quoted: 5301 Post(s)
Liked: 9832
Quote:
Hey Greg, great advice sir. My friend didn’t know I was only working with 1k budget at the time of the convo. I did look at JL but realized they were out of my $ range. Definitely would like mixed use sub with good performance for both. The sub recommendations provided seem like quite a large enclosure in the ported models. Would any of the non-ported subs provide what I’m looking for? Don’t necessarily need a 15” but seems like the right size for the area. Vandersteen is actually (3)8” drivers down facing, non ported, and the Velodyne dls-r is a ported 15”.
Hi,

You have already gotten the best advice in the recommendations to go with a large ported subwoofer. The FV15HP would be a very good choice for the purpose you have described. It will offer you both clarity for music, and power for movies. The reason you need a large ported subwoofer is partly because you have a large space, and partly because you are 70% movies. Movies have lower frequencies, and require higher volumes of lower frequencies. It takes large subwoofers to produce those low-frequencies with authority, and ported subwoofers do it better than sealed ones. You can do some reading in the Guide, linked in my signature, but even if you do that, it will take you quite a while to get up to speed on all of the things you need to know about this subject.

The relationship between a room (any indoor space) and subwoofers is actually quite complicated and hard to summarize in a few sentences. Understanding why 5.1 movies require so much more low-frequency output is also pretty complicated to cover quickly, and so is the difference between sealed and ported subs. All of those issues are addressed in some detail in the Guide. But, buying the most capable ported subwoofer you can afford right now is the best advice you can get. And, that's what you came here for.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #36690 of 39082 Old 01-08-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyzipper View Post
According to Rythmik's site,"Due to increasingly high shipping cost to overseas for complete subwoofers and consequently low follow-through rate after providing shipping quotes, we make the difficult decision of only selling kits to overseas customers".

I'm wondering if this means they don't ship to Canada.

Any insights?
I wish there was a Canadian company they could partner with to get some subs over here... I guess the margins would be too low and Rythmik subs would under cut the higher priced subs.

Or I guess the other option is for a Canadian company to get a bunch of kits and build a few subs but again Canadian Labour is not cheap so the price would be back up again.

Well just make it work, Canadians have money too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , integra dtc 9.8 , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page