Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 1287 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12742Likes

post #38581 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Interesting - can you explain why? EQ is the only way to correct problems below 30 Hertz, as you cannot use passive methods like absorption there. Plus, generally you want a rising response to the bottom to compensate for human hearing. Normally I'd ensure that with EQ.
I don't want to wast power of amplifier with adverse settings (Room EQ trying to boost a frequency below 30 Hz). This is much better achieved AFTER room EQ with settings on Rythmik's amp plate (for exemple Low damping and rumble off before EQ and then High damping and rumble after EQ).

B&W 802 D3 Classe CTM600 ANTHEM AVM60 Rythmik FV25HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38582 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
OK guys. I need to clarify something. When I said that the G28HP could happen doesn't mean that it's happening or is happening soon, if ever. I said this because I just got an email from a Rythmik Audio customer (overseas) who wanted to pre-order/order a pair of G28HPs. I had to explain him that as of today, the G28HP is not even possible with the current drivers so thinking on getting pre orders when we don't have a prototype is just crazy as we don't work that way. We DO NOT take pre orders or orders until a product is FULLY tested and in production stage. You all know that is the way we do things as we did when we developed the FV18, FV25HP and recently with the G25HP. In fact, we usually send the subwoofer for testing or review before offering it to the public. Nothing is set in stone until you see a REAL photo of a prototype, not a CAD drawing or a rendering. That is all for now. Have you all a great weekend!!
Enrico, do you have any update on FVX12 release?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #38583 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSOSA View Post
Quote:
Interesting - can you explain why? EQ is the only way to correct problems below 30 Hertz, as you cannot use passive methods like absorption there. Plus, generally you want a rising response to the bottom to compensate for human hearing. Normally I'd ensure that with EQ.
I don't want to wast power of amplifier with adverse settings (Room EQ trying to boost a frequency below 30 Hz). This is much better achieved AFTER room EQ with settings on Rythmik's amp plate (for exemple Low damping and rumble off before EQ and then High damping and rumble after EQ).
But as there is no free lunch, don't those things also affect amplifier power?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38584 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
OK guys. I need to clarify something. When I said that the G28HP could happen doesn't mean that it's happening or is happening soon, if ever. I said this because I just got an email from a Rythmik Audio customer (overseas) who wanted to pre-order/order a pair of G28HPs. I had to explain him that as of today, the G28HP is not even possible with the current drivers so thinking on getting pre orders when we don't have a prototype is just crazy as we don't work that way. We DO NOT take pre orders or orders until a product is FULLY tested and in production stage. You all know that is the way we do things as we did when we developed the FV18, FV25HP and recently with the G25HP. In fact, we usually send the subwoofer for testing or review before offering it to the public. Nothing is set in stone until you see a REAL photo of a prototype, not a CAD drawing or a rendering. That is all for now. Have you all a great weekend!!

This is probably my fault, but I never said a G28 was coming from Rythmik. I just used the term "G28" as it seemed appropriate and inline with the G25 since it's essentially the same but with the 18" drivers instead.

For all of those that are interested, I have been speaking to Brian and Jim Salk about building me a couple of custom dual-opposed Rythmik 18" subs. This is NOT an official Rythmik product. The estimated weight coming from Salk is about 225lbs so I have to consider the long-term with these beasts. I spoke with Brian on the phone a few months back about the project. My specific question to Brian was, "is this possible with the current kit offering?", and he responded yes. So the project is feasible and Brian sent Salk the TS parameters for the build. I will more then likely have them built and will post here with the progress and results.

Sorry for any confusion.
darrob104 and jsc79 like this.
post #38585 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 11:23 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 3278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
The real kicker is that I had been off the forum for awhile and the reason I came back was that I'm looking into a new TV, but this audio stuff keep dragging me back in.....
muscles, dpc716 and dinamigym like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #38586 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
analysis paralysis

I've owned a single LV12R for several years and I love it, but have recently had the upgrade itch. I don't see any reason to leave the Rythmik family, but the explosion of different models in recent years has gotten me a bit stuck.

Budget is around $1500, but let's call it $1630 to bring a couple additional options into play. Due to the configuration of my room, a single sub to the left of the TV is ideal--although I realize duals are preferable, and could be talked into moving my furniture if dual options within budget would outperform a single.

Listening is 90% music, with a lot of (but not exclusively) really low frequency stuff. The few opening bars of Jay-Z's "Tom Ford" is one of the tracks where the LV12R doesn't quite have the authority I'm looking for.

So, with that budget, configuration, and listening in mind, here's my thoughts:

Option A: Add a second LV12R/LV12F ($599). Obviously the cheapest, and makes use of my existing LV12R, but requires rearranging my living room.

Option B: F12 ($980). How does a single one of these compare to a single LV12R?

Option C: Dual L12s ($1078). Maybe easier to fit duals? Are sealed subs better or worse for my listening habits?

Option D: FVX15 ($1099). How does this compare to the other 15" options? How does it compare to dual 12"s?

Option E: F15HP ($1282). How does this compare to the other 15" options? How does it compare to dual 12"s?

Option F: FV15HP ($1399). Seemingly one of Rythmik's most popular models (or maybe it's just been around for longer). How does it compare to the other 15s or duals?

Option G: F25 ($1599). A bit of a packaging issue, although it could work if I were to place it on its side (is this OK?). How does it compare to the other choices at the upper end of this list?

Option H: Dual LVX12 ($1600). Hard to package in my room.

Option I: F18 ($1630). Top of the budget. How does it compare to others at the top of this list?

I realize this reads almost like a straight list of Rythmik's inventory (although I left a few out because they seem redundant - although feel free to add ones that I should consider). But, I've done a fair amount of searching on the forums and haven't seen some of these comparisons--there are a handful of questions about people comparing two smaller subs with a single larger one and the most common answer seems to be "two larger ones!" I really want to keep the price cap in place here, and as mentioned previously I prefer a single sub for packaging reasons. But, if dual LV12Rs are better than a single higher-priced sub, then I could be convinced.

So, which option would you vote for?
post #38587 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitrus View Post
I've owned a single LV12R for several years and I love it, but have recently had the upgrade itch. I don't see any reason to leave the Rythmik family, but the explosion of different models in recent years has gotten me a bit stuck.

Budget is around $1500, but let's call it $1630 to bring a couple additional options into play. Due to the configuration of my room, a single sub to the left of the TV is ideal--although I realize duals are preferable, and could be talked into moving my furniture if dual options within budget would outperform a single.

Listening is 90% music, with a lot of (but not exclusively) really low frequency stuff. The few opening bars of Jay-Z's "Tom Ford" is one of the tracks where the LV12R doesn't quite have the authority I'm looking for.

So, with that budget, configuration, and listening in mind, here's my thoughts:

Option A: Add a second LV12R/LV12F ($599). Obviously the cheapest, and makes use of my existing LV12R, but requires rearranging my living room.

Option B: F12 ($980). How does a single one of these compare to a single LV12R?
Your LV12 will have more output down to the low 20Hz range, but will drop off more rapidly beyond that. The F12 is -2dB at 14Hz, so you will get lower extension to add some impact and pressure to your room. While this frequency range won't come into play with most music, it will come into play with some music. And, many people here have commented that sealed does sound slightly tighter, even with Rythmik. I have had my doubts about that, with such a low port tune they should sound nearly the same only with different output and extension. The test I want to see is for example an FV15HP and F15HP, with the FV15HP equalized to bring the port-induced boost down to match the output of the F15HP. You could also boost the F15HP up to match, as long as you don't play at high levels. If you match the curves, and they still sound different, you know something else is going on.

Quote:
Option C: Dual L12s ($1078). Maybe easier to fit duals? Are sealed subs better or worse for my listening habits?
This is a great budget option, keeping in mind they won't extend as low as the F12. L12 is -3dB at 18Hz.

Quote:
Option D: FVX15 ($1099). How does this compare to the other 15" options? How does it compare to dual 12"s?
FVX15 is maybe the best deal in ported Rythmik subs. But if you're 90% music, two sealed 12s are a better option.

Quote:
Option E: F15HP ($1282). How does this compare to the other 15" options? How does it compare to dual 12"s?
Even better. +5.5dB more output than F12. Will result in less distortion. How loud do you play? But if you're only limited to 1, I hope your placement results in smooth bass response from 20-100Hz. Most people aren't that lucky.

Quote:
Option F: FV15HP ($1399). Seemingly one of Rythmik's most popular models (or maybe it's just been around for longer). How does it compare to the other 15s or duals?
Exact same as FVX15 with -2.5dB output difference.

Quote:
Option G: F25 ($1599). A bit of a packaging issue, although it could work if I were to place it on its side (is this OK?). How does it compare to the other choices at the upper end of this list?
I think this is a very underrated option and worth looking at. I like the idea of having a higher driver to combat problems with height modes in my room, and probably in many other similar home rooms. I can't do anything about height modes with sub placement, normally, so there is a dip at my seat that goes away if I stand up.

Quote:
Option H: Dual LVX12 ($1600). Hard to package in my room.
Same considerations as LVF12.

Quote:
Option I: F18 ($1630). Top of the budget. How does it compare to others at the top of this list?
Great sub, but if you can only do 1? I don't know.

Quote:
I realize this reads almost like a straight list of Rythmik's inventory (although I left a few out because they seem redundant - although feel free to add ones that I should consider). But, I've done a fair amount of searching on the forums and haven't seen some of these comparisons--there are a handful of questions about people comparing two smaller subs with a single larger one and the most common answer seems to be "two larger ones!" I really want to keep the price cap in place here, and as mentioned previously I prefer a single sub for packaging reasons. But, if dual LV12Rs are better than a single higher-priced sub, then I could be convinced.

My honest opinion is this. For the best music reproduction, having 2 subs working in tandem makes a big difference. Your goal should be for the flattest bass response you can achieve from 15 or 20Hz up to 100Hz. The ability to straighten out your bass response, reducing peaks and dips, with another bass source is really important. You can get one monster sub but if you end up with wonky bass, was it really worth it?

Very helpful in this effort is room correction from Audyssey, Dirac, and Anthem (I don't think Yamaha and Onkyo do as well with bass), as well as the PEQ controls on the Rythmik F-series subs (use before Room EQ).

My .02
bigcitrus, Madmax67 and tuner1129 like this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #38588 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 827
A fellow AVSer came by last night and picked up one of my FV25HP's. I was sad to see it go. So sad in fact that I am not going to sell my other one. I am going to replace my SB13 Ultra in the bedroom with it! The only problem is getting it up the damn stairs. I figure if I turn the gain down and put it in High Damping 12hz I will probably get better sound quality out of it anyways.

Any idea how to level match it to Powered speakers like the Kef LS50W's?

Greg
darrob104 likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #38589 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 214
sub upgrade

Hi all,
I have a silly(?) question. I'm looking to upgrade my current sub (Klipsch R-120SW, 12", 200w) in about a year or two (I am planning ahead - ha). My current sub, set for half gain, shakes the pictures on the walls and rattles anything else not bolted down, but it has the "boominess" that subs of this kind possess.

I have my eyes on the FV15HP. It's the biggest I'll go and it has the low extension and clean output I'd like to have, once I save up the funds.

The question is this - would the FV15HP potentially damage the glass French doors that it will sit next to in my room (15' x 18', but open to the kitchen, effectively doubling the squ. footage)? I don't usually listen at reference levels, but when I play certain types of music (hip hop, EDM), I do like to pump it up. I've seen vids of the FV15 shaking windows (
) and I'm a bit...concerned...but in a good way.

Thanks for the input/advice.

Also, as long as I'm posting this - any advice for securing pictures or other stuff to keep it from rattling?
post #38590 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is no doubt a Rythmik will sound cleaner, but first, assess whether the placement in your room is contributing to the boominess. Even a Rythmik can sound boomy.
darthray and tuner1129 like this.

post #38591 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
I have just been told that the Rythmik is going to sound significantly better...so I figure, if I don't have to come out of pocket much after selling other subs, why not improve quality?
Nothing wrong with getting a better sub, and yes it should be an upgrade
On my previous post, I was pointing out on how bass can travel through walls/ceiling and floor.
And unfair for anyone to say they are unhappy with the SQ, before finding a proper location and calibration. No matter the brand of sub it is.

Wishing you all the best, with your new subs.
Enjoy

Darth
Ethos4Lyfe likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 05-19-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #38592 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Listening is 90% music, with a lot of (but not exclusively) really low frequency stuff.

It can be hard to control ported sub "boominess" in smaller rooms so if that's you situation I'd lean towards sealed. For more "authority", generally that means displacement, so you should be going for as much of that as possible. Like Soulburner I like the F25, it covers a lot of scenarios. It was something I wanted to buy myself when I upgraded last, but it was just a prototype at the time.

A second sub of your current should get you 3-6 DB extra, you can decide if that's enough. Dual sealed with your budget might not hit the low stuff hard enough for you, hard to say. Sealed output will lag ported from about 20-40 hz, not sure how much of your music falls in there.
bigcitrus likes this.
post #38593 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quick little video I did showing some excursion on the F18. I did this at -15 AVR trim because I don't like blasting sine waves.

Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
post #38594 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a question of my own.

My PC setup is using optical out from a Realtek chip to a Micca OriGen G2 DAC+preamp, which connects with RCA or XLR to powered speakers. I use optical out because with USB or RCA, I get a lot of noise from the PC. The plastic optical cable decouples the system.

Now say I wanted to hook up one of my F12s with the A370PEQ amp to my PC, and I need bass management. Unfortunately I can't use the high-level inputs on the sub as I am using active speakers, and I can't use the multi-channel outputs on the sound card because I am using optical out for the above reason.

Ideally I would be able to set my crossover in software and tell it that I want the optical out to carry only the 80Hz and up material, and a stereo-to-RCA to carry the 80Hz and below material (plus crossover) straight to the sub. I am not sure I can split the outputs like that, but it would seem ideal. I wouldn't have to make any other changes to the way it's currently set up.

So if that isn't possible, what is the best option at this point?

I do still have my Denon X4000 laying on the floor of my HT room. Sure, that would be cool, as it does basically everything. It has Audyssey XT32 which is great, but no way to restrict EQ to 300-Hz and down for near-field use, so I would probably need to get a different one so I can use the app. But they are big for a desk, so I would probably put it underneath. And then I lose my big on-desk volume knob on the Micca OriGen. Though I suppose it broadens the speaker options to work with passives, if I desired that. Let me see if I can justify the space-hogging the Denon would demand. In the meantime, any suggestion of a small-ish Bass Management unit that could fit into my chain would be appreciated. If they exist.

Last edited by Soulburner; 05-19-2019 at 07:34 PM.
post #38595 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Quick little video I did showing some excursion on the F18. I did this at -15 AVR trim because I don't like blasting sine waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h-RDSvS_qk
I have to try that track on the fv25hp! That gloss is epic! I see the doggie in the background

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
muscles and drh3b like this.
post #38596 of 39747 Old 05-19-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:

My honest opinion is this. For the best music reproduction, having 2 subs working in tandem makes a big difference. Your goal should be for the flattest bass response you can achieve from 15 or 20Hz up to 100Hz. The ability to straighten out your bass response, reducing peaks and dips, with another bass source is really important. You can get one monster sub but if you end up with wonky bass, was it really worth it?

Very helpful in this effort is room correction from Audyssey, Dirac, and Anthem (I don't think Yamaha and Onkyo do as well with bass), as well as the PEQ controls on the Rythmik F-series subs (use before Room EQ).

My .02
Great info Soulburner, thanks for taking the time. There's no question that my single sub setup creates some significant null areas, although in my primary listening position the LV12R sounds great. Still, though, it sounds like making the move to dual subs is a higher priority than replacing my single LV12R with a more powerful single sub (with the possible exception of the F25).

The obvious downsides to duals are the layout/furniture issues, and the fact that a dual-sub setup that fits in my $1500+ budget limits me to dual LV12R or dual L12. Which would probably be killer by any normal civilian standards, but "entry level" by AVSforum standards!

Anyway, that gives me some great info to chew on, thanks again.
post #38597 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

In addition to everyone else's recommendations, I'd like to throw out another option to consider: Dual L22s.
With the multi-sub discount, I believe the total would be $1638, just a hair over your limit. You'd get dual, sealed and output roughly equivalent to 4 L12s. Not to mention that they have nearly the same floor footprint as an L12.

BTW, how many cubic feet is your room? Are you concerned with other seats besides the MLP?
bigcitrus and Madmax67 like this.

HT:: Salk SongTwr-Raal / SongCtr-Raal / SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (my latest Dialing-in Guide); Denon 4520; ATI AT522NC; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; BJCables; CCast; Roku Ultra; Furman; Omnimic
CANS:: RPi>Soekris DAC1541 > LCD2C :: RPi>AGD DAC19 >Cavalli LC > MrSpeakers AFC & HE400i & HD569 :: RPi3 > Bifrost 4490 > Valhalla >HD600 & HD6XX :: RPi > Mimby >Schiit Vali 2 >Meze 99 Classics & Oppo PM3
post #38598 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 05:40 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 3278
Quote:
I am going to replace my SB13 Ultra in the bedroom with it! The only problem is getting it up the damn stairs.
With a name like 'muscles' this is a problem? Didn't eat your Wheaties this morning?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #38599 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 6231 Post(s)
Liked: 5524
Quote:
Of course - but he was talking about his FV15HP (single) and FV25HP (single), not together. Room gain probably doesn't account for that big of a difference, and putting a sub in a corner doesn't increase levels (and I doubt he's just quoting us a cherry-picked peak, right torii?). So the only thing I can think of is that we're not talking about 20Hz, but 40-60Hz where output is undoubtedly greater. That could explain why he could measure such high levels. I guess I'm used to talking 20Hz output
My bad...I should have paid more attention. I though torii was using both subs at the same time.

Corner placement will definitely increase output via boundary gain. I will just quote here from mthomas47's awesome guide (linked in my sig):

"In theory, boundary gain can add up to 3db of gain per boundary, which would mean 9db for a bass transducer placed entirely in a corner, as the floor and two side-walls would each contribute 3db.:

Quote:
After doing some more research, I guess you are right. I thought the difference came about due to software, but that's not quite right. The 10dB LFE boost on HDMI Channel 4 is confusing and it can even vary depending on the brand of AVR you use. The caution that needs to be exercised is as follows:

https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineer...measuring.html

In short, your sub measurements will not match up with your other speakers, nor will it correlate with your MV level. But on its own, it is okay, as long as you label those measurements so you know those levels are 10dB higher than what you're going to get during normal playback. I think I have that right . Right?
Right.
post #38600 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post
In addition to everyone else's recommendations, I'd like to throw out another option to consider: Dual L22s.
With the multi-sub discount, I believe the total would be $1638, just a hair over your limit. You'd get dual, sealed and output roughly equivalent to 4 L12s. Not to mention that they have nearly the same floor footprint as an L12.

BTW, how many cubic feet is your room? Are you concerned with other seats besides the MLP?
I forgot about Rythmik's multi-sub discount. And I missed the L22 entirely...I guess it's more or less two L12 stacked on top of one another, and only costs 40% more. So that's something to consider. What's up with the F8? It's more than the L22 (just), but has two 8" drivers instead of two 12"s?

The main room is about 2800 cu ft, but it's arranged in an "L" into the kitchen, with a huge opening on one side.

I'm wrestling with this one, but I'm thinking that the sound at the MLP is more important than smoothing things out, only because positioning duals requires rearranging a bunch of stuff, and will result in the TV not being centered across from the MLP couch.

One solution would be to put the sub(s) directly under the TV somehow--a TV stand with a big opening underneath, maybe even with an acoustic screen in front, would be an interesting packaging solution.
post #38601 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
A fellow AVSer came by last night and picked up one of my FV25HP's. I was sad to see it go. So sad in fact that I am not going to sell my other one. I am going to replace my SB13 Ultra in the bedroom with it! The only problem is getting it up the damn stairs. I figure if I turn the gain down and put it in High Damping 12hz I will probably get better sound quality out of it anyways.

Any idea how to level match it to Powered speakers like the Kef LS50W's?

Greg
Think of it as a new type of workout! and um.. are you crazy?!?!? the fv25 in your bedroom!??!?! you sir, are crazier than i thought
LennS and muscles like this.

My HT: 7.3.4 Denon x4300h + denon stereo amp, Hsu HB1-MK2(6), HC1-MK2, Pioneer SP-T22A-LR(4), dual Rythmik fv25hp, b1200d, 65" LG OLEDB7A, xbone s, ps4 pro.
Classroom HT: 7.2.2 Onkyo TX-NR747, JBL L5 (LR), HSU HC-1 MK2(C), Pioneer SP-T22A-LR(2), Pioneer SP-C22 (2-Surrounds), svs pb12+/2, svs pc13, Epson Powerlite 99WH
post #38602 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 AM

So after a couple days and this morning, I have too many nulls in my small living room. Is it crazy to even think of going dual on a fv25hp in square footage of less then 1000?

post #38603 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner1129 View Post
So after a couple days and this morning, I have too many nulls in my small living room. Is it crazy to even think of going dual on a fv25hp in square footage of less then 1000?

Not crazy at all. If you are around 1k sq ft that is gonna translate to roughly 8k cubic ft if you have 8’ ceilings. That’s a huge space to fill.

Post up a rew graph.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18
Speakers: L/R Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 - Center - Horizon w/RAAL Surrounds: Sonance VP62R SST/SUR. Vinyl:Rega Planar 3
Video: Sony XBR65X900e 65" 4K - Sony UBP-X800 Blu Ray
Power and Processing: Yamaha RXA1030 - Monolith 7X Amp - Minidsp 2X4 HD/WI-DG
post #38604 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post
Not crazy at all. If you are around 1k sq ft that is gonna translate to roughly 8k cubic ft if you have 8’ ceilings. That’s a huge space to fill.

Post up a rew graph.
Will def post it when I get the chance again tomorrow to snap a picture of it. Oh I do have vaulted ceilings of about 11ft at higest peak. Ok now on to trying to find towers to keep up with these bad boy, soon to be 2 lol so far I'm 0 for 3.

post #38605 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
With a name like 'muscles' this is a problem? Didn't eat your Wheaties this morning?

I actually got it up 2 flights of stairs. I DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING THIS! Probably the most impressive lift of my life

Only had 2 or 3 panic attacks while holding it, lol!

Greg

post #38606 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfreeza View Post
Think of it as a new type of workout! and um.. are you crazy?!?!? the fv25 in your bedroom!??!?! you sir, are crazier than i thought
I think you need to update your signature

I hope you enjoy the sub as much as my neighbors did! lol

Greg
drh3b likes this.

post #38607 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

I forgot about Rythmik's multi-sub discount. And I missed the L22 entirely...I guess it's more or less two L12 stacked on top of one another, and only costs 40% more. So that's something to consider. What's up with the F8? It's more than the L22 (just), but has two 8" drivers instead of two 12"s?

The main room is about 2800 cu ft, but it's arranged in an "L" into the kitchen, with a huge opening on one side.

I'm wrestling with this one, but I'm thinking that the sound at the MLP is more important than smoothing things out, only because positioning duals requires rearranging a bunch of stuff, and will result in the TV not being centered across from the MLP couch.

One solution would be to put the sub(s) directly under the TV somehow--a TV stand with a big opening underneath, maybe even with an acoustic screen in front, would be an interesting packaging solution.
Dual L22s is a good recommendation for a 90% music setup for sure. Great bang for the buck if you don't need high level inputs or PEQ on the sub.

Keep in mind that multiple subs flatten your bass response at your seat, one filling in where the other is weak, so they're not just for evening out the room, which they do help with as well.

I'm a fan of the F15HP or F25 if the choice is only one. Maybe even the F18 if you can fit it. The F-series subs have the PEQ dial to tame your largest peak. Combined with room correction you could do a decent job with only one sub, but you'll need a way to measure to dial that in. Whether that's an SPL meter or UMIK is up to how far you want to go.
bigcitrus likes this.

post #38608 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Dual L22s is a good recommendation for a 90% music setup for sure. Great bang for the buck if you don't need high level inputs or PEQ on the sub.

Keep in mind that multiple subs flatten your bass response at your seat, one filling in where the other is weak, so they're not just for evening out the room, which they do help with as well.

I'm a fan of the F15HP or F25 if the choice is only one. Maybe even the F18 if you can fit it. The F-series subs have the PEQ dial to tame your largest peak. Combined with room correction you could do a decent job with only one sub, but you'll need a way to measure to dial that in. Whether that's an SPL meter or UMIK is up to how far you want to go.
Fair enough. Although, for now I'm probably am leaning toward a single just for the furniture issue....although if I get an upgraded single then it can be the first of two at some point down the road. If I find a used LV12R that could be a good budget alternative in the interim.

As far as setup I'm using the LFE input and the Yamaha room correction in the receiver.

So, for music (even music with some really low frequencies), you still like the sealed F15HP over the ported FV15HP? I'll have to take some measurements on the F18, but unlike the right of the TV, I've got decent room on the left.
post #38609 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hello all,

I've been lurking on here off and on for well over a year trying to figure out what brands and types of equipment I'm going to buy when I finally get to the
point where I feel like I have a handle on the latest in audio/HT. I see a lot of great info on here and have learned a lot, but by no means have learned nearly
enough. I have no clue when it comes to room correction software/EQ stuff I see people mentioning. It overwhelms me and I'm going to wait until I get some
sort of start in buying equipment. I have budgeted for a system that will be geared for music as the priority for picking components but will also double as
some sort of surround/HT setup. (not sure about Atmos - most likely just a 7.2 or even 5.2 to get started) I'm looking at powering the front 3 with a dedicated
power amp and the rest with an Anthem or Marantz. But as I said, that's going to be after I get my feet wet with subwoofers, which is what brought me to post
on this thread. For a year I've been looking at SVS, PSA, and Seaton mostly, until recently when I started to really look into Rythmik. For my main system I'll
absolutely for sure be getting two sealed subs and I've really come to like what I see and read about the G25HP. Two months ago I was pretty much settled on
2 PSA S3010's but have since been sidetracked with Rythmik. With all that being said as a way to introduce my intentions and where I plan to go with my posting
here, I would like to ask a few simple questions that I don't want to get sidetracked on, initially. Later I'll welcome sidetracking, but for now I'd like to be
able to put Rythmik in some sort of perspective in regards to what I can expect as far as decibels and impact go. I have no means to listen to a Rythmik sub
without ordering one and trying it and I realize I could do that but I thought I'd try to get some insight on here by asking for opinions of people who may have
experienced both of the subs I want to know about. I don't want to know about quality of the sound or which is more accurate or anything like that (I already
have an idea which is the winner there) all I wanna know is how an F12 compares to a SB3000 in terms of slam, impact or decibel level for music? I know there's
much more to judging a sub than simply looking at its amp power but in this case the F12 is powered by a class A/B 370 watt amp and the SVS is powered by
an 800 watt class D amp with claims of 2500+peak. I don't see any peak power specs on the Rythmik site. The reason I'm asking about these two subs are that
I've recently had the opportunity to hear an SVS SB3000 and thought it was impressive considering the size and price. Can I expect the same from the F12 if I
were to order one to pair with a simple soundbar setup just to get my feet wet and start messing with some audio equipment, rather than just reading about
it all the time. As I said, I only want to know about how hard it will hit compared to the SVS with say rock music that's loaded with double kick drum sequences.
I've all but decided to go with Rythmik but don't want to be disappointed with how hard it can hit, because I'm already assuming it's extremely accurate and
sounds great, but will it slam as hard as the SB3000 is my question. Rythmik uses class D higher power for the G25HP (which is highest on my list of subs for
main system I'm starting soon) yet a lessor power class A/B for this F12 and it concerns me in regards to shear output abilities.

Thanks, Brian.
post #38610 of 39747 Old 05-20-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, for music (even music with some really low frequencies), you still like the sealed F15HP over the ported FV15HP?
I wish I could say I've heard both, but I have not. muscles and enrico are probably the most experienced here with the sounds of the various Rythmiks.

There is something to be said about the flatter response of the ported sub, where output is maintained until a certain point where it drops off - unlike sealed, which has a rounder-looking graph. A flat response is generally desired in loudspeakers, where you can say nearly all frequencies are reproduced at the same level. You can achieve this flatness with sealed with the reinforcement of a small room, but not in a medium to large room. Several have said that the sealed subs have a slight advantage in tightness, where going from a ported Rythmik on high damping to a sealed Rythmik is like going to "super high" damping. Brian at Rythmik attributes this mostly to differences in impulse response. This has me torn between an upgrade to a sealed or ported 15" pair. I can see either being awesome for my application. The thing about sealed though, is I'm nearly certain I would want double the drivers. So it would be between 2xF25 or 2xFVX15 - both achieve the same 20Hz output, but it's hard to ignore the fact that the ported pair does it for $1,100 less.
bigcitrus likes this.

Last edited by Soulburner; 05-20-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , integra dtc 9.8 , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page