Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 1310 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13578Likes

post #39271 of 40482 Old 07-03-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
@enricoclaudio
Instead of asking through a PM, I decided to ask here on this thread. Since it might also help other member.

Would it be possible to post a couple pictures of the FV18. With the two different finish, "black oak grain" and "black matte".
While I do have a general idea, it would be nice to see them side by side (or click between the two different finish. If on your side, I could not find them).

Thanks

Darth
rexrode78 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39272 of 40482 Old 07-03-2019, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
@enricoclaudio
Instead of asking through a PM, I decided to ask here on this thread. Since it might also help other member.

Would it be possible to post a couple pictures of the FV18. With the two different finish, "black oak grain" and "black matte".
While I do have a general idea, it would be nice to see them side by side (or click between the two different finish. If on your side, I could not find them).

Thanks

Darth
I have kind of the same question regarding the gloss white F12SE.

how shiny are they? because my main towers are satin white. (so more matte then gloss) and still contemplating between 1xF18 or 2xF12

I would probably wrap the F18 to matte white as well though.
post #39273 of 40482 Old 07-03-2019, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
@enricoclaudio

Thanks

Darth
I know you said you wanted to see the fv18 in the finishes, I have the fv25hp in black matte finish I can post if you are interested in seeing the finish. I believe it's the same finish that would be on the fv18.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
darthray likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39274 of 40482 Old 07-03-2019, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post
If you mean turning Audyssey OFF totally, I doubt I would like that. If you mean “DynamicEQ”, yes I mentioned turning that setting to OFF, helped a bit, but did not totally eliminate the fluttering sub. So at this point Audyssey is engaged but all EQ filters I know of are OFF.
I think he meant doing that as a test not a permanent fix. If both the Onkyo and Denon had this issue with the Onkyo offering the LFE level reduction the issue is in the sub itself and possibly it's in room placement. If Audyssey XT32 is over boosting those frequencies it's for a reason. Maybe moving the sub might help. The other option is one you probably don't want to hear.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #39275 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Gentlemen, please help me decide! F18 or F25?

I know one is 18" driver and with better amp, and the other one has more output. Is there anything else I should pay attention to? I have one FV25HP, don't ask why I want to mix sealed with ported, and I just want to hear sealed sub from Rythmik for quite sometime

And the sealed will be placed nearfield. Thank you all for your time!
post #39276 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
I think he meant doing that as a test not a permanent fix. If both the Onkyo and Denon had this issue with the Onkyo offering the LFE level reduction the issue is in the sub itself and possibly it's in room placement. If Audyssey XT32 is over boosting those frequencies it's for a reason. Maybe moving the sub might help. The other option is one you probably don't want to hear.
Since I can’t move the sub. What other options are there, even if it means changing some of the plate amp settings.

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
post #39277 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3836 Post(s)
Liked: 4706
Quote:
@enricoclaudio

Thanks

Darth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasG View Post
I have kind of the same question regarding the gloss white F12SE.

how shiny are they? because my main towers are satin white. (so more matte then gloss) and still contemplating between 1xF18 or 2xF12

I would probably wrap the F18 to matte white as well though.
I don't have HR photos of the FV18 Black Matte but the finish is the same as the FV25HP. Here are some HR photos of F12 White, FV18 Black Oak and FV25HP Black Matte.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01564.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	2587456   Click image for larger version

Name:	FV18-10.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	551.2 KB
ID:	2587458   Click image for larger version

Name:	FV18-14.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	553.0 KB
ID:	2587460   Click image for larger version

Name:	FV18-1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	720.6 KB
ID:	2587462   Click image for larger version

Name:	FV18-13.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	809.6 KB
ID:	2587464  

Name:	FV25HP-3.jpg
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	2587466   Click image for larger version

Name:	FV25HP-5.jpg
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	2587468   Click image for larger version

Name:	FV25HP-6.jpg
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	2587470   Click image for larger version

Name:	FV25HP-1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	2587472  

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #39278 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 10490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1290 View Post
Gentlemen, please help me decide! F18 or F25?

I know one is 18" driver and with better amp, and the other one has more output. Is there anything else I should pay attention to? I have one FV25HP, don't ask why I want to mix sealed with ported, and I just want to hear sealed sub from Rythmik for quite sometime

And the sealed will be placed nearfield. Thank you all for your time!

Hi Jim,

If you just want to hear a sealed Rythmik subwoofer, perhaps there is someone in your area who would be willing to demo one for you. Or, you could order almost any of the models, with the long-term plan to send back the sealed sub, or to sell the ported one, depending on which you find that you prefer. In that case, I would probably go big and might even consider the G25HP.

What I would not plan to do, if I were you, is to operate both sealed and ported subs together, unless you have both REW and a miniDSP with which to address the inevitable cancellation that is going to occur. Note: I am not asking why you want to mix sealed and ported subs. I am simply offering you friendly advice, unless you are sure that you can remediate the problems you will be dealing with in doing so. The fact that the sealed sub will be nearfield won't make much difference.

Testing a sub to decide whether you prefer sealed or ported, with the goal of ending-up with two matching subs, makes better sense to me than a goal of trying to mix the two. Just a thought!

Regards,
Mike
darthray and Jim1290 like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #39279 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 4062
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi Jim,

If you just want to hear a sealed Rythmik subwoofer, perhaps there is someone in your area who would be willing to demo one for you. Or, you could order almost any of the models, with the long-term plan to send back the sealed sub, or to sell the ported one, depending on which you find that you prefer. In that case, I would probably go big and might even consider the G25HP.

What I would not plan to do, if I were you, is to operate both sealed and ported subs together, unless you have both REW and a miniDSP with which to address the inevitable cancellation that is going to occur. Note: I am not asking why you want to mix sealed and ported subs. I am simply offering you friendly advice, unless you are sure that you can remediate the problems you will be dealing with in doing so. The fact that the sealed sub will be nearfield won't make much difference.

Testing a sub to decide whether you prefer sealed or ported, with the goal of ending-up with two matching subs, makes better sense to me than a goal of trying to mix the two. Just a thought!

Regards,
Mike
I believe that Jim is from Belgium(alright, I searched the thread to make sure I remembered correctly), so that might not be much of an option. It would probably be helpful if Jim put this in his bio. If Rythmik were to ship Enrico and a minidsp with the sub, he could probably make it work, based on his own system.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #39280 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Since I can’t move the sub. What other options are there, even if it means changing some of the plate amp settings.
Not sure if you have REW and a umik but you might consider picking those up to see what your room response is. Assuming all your settings on the sub and your avr are correct, the room could be boosting a certain frequency as others have mentioned. Once I measured my room, I found my sub placement was boosting the 18hz and 33hz by like 15 db.........each! While that was fun, it certainly wasn't balanced. Don't know if that is your issue or not. Just a suggestion.

If that is the issue and you can't move the sub, then next step would be to pick up a miniDSP and shape your response a bit better. MiniDSP is an incredible tool. Wish that I had known and had used it a loooooooooong time ago.

Todd
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Last edited by toddct; 07-04-2019 at 08:49 AM.
post #39281 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I love the combination between my pair of F12SEs and FV25HP. I was very lucky that the only spot I had for the FV25HP is the best spot in the room to get seamless integration between my sealed subwoofers and the FV25HP. Of course, this after proper time align the subwoofers with a miniDSP 2x4 HD. Jim, in your case I would get the F25 if size if not an issue.
Jim1290 likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #39282 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddct View Post
Not sure if you have REW and a umik but you might consider picking those up to see what your room response is. Assuming all your settings on the sub and your avr are correct, the room could be boosting a certain frequency as others have mentioned. Once I measured my room, I found my sub placement was boosting the 18hz and 33hz by like 15 db.........each! While that was fun, it certainly wasn't balanced. Don't know if that is your issue or not. Just a suggestion.

If that is the issue and you can't move the sub, then next step would be to pick up a miniDSP and shape your response a bit better. MiniDSP is an incredible tool. Wish that I had known and had used it a loooooooooong time ago.

Todd
Thanks, I’m not ready just yet to get into additional test equipment. Just hoping to tame the LFE channel, with either or both AVR & subwoofer amp controls if possible.

SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
post #39283 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Thanks, I’m not ready just yet to get into additional test equipment. Just hoping to tame the LFE channel, with either or both AVR & subwoofer amp controls if possible.
Is there anyone close to you that has REW and umik? If so, maybe buy them lunch and a beer......or several!

Again, assuming there isn't a switch or setting that is "off" AND there isn't something wrong with the driver AND you can't move the subs.......not sure what else you can do. You can try the sub distance tweek, but then again, without measurements you won't know what the adjustments are doing. And from what I've read, that affects mostly the crossover response. Doesn't seem like you are overdriving the MV or the gain at all, you barely have them turned up. XT32 is going to be a bit different than your previous Onkyo. I'd suggest reading mthomas47 sub guide which is located in the sticky section. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...eferences.html Double check all your settings with the gurus on this thread and maybe PM Enrico. I'm familiar with Rythmik settings but I'm not an owner. Just trying to lend a hand.

Good luck

Todd

Edit - Also, you say you don't have any bass boost so I assume your gain is set so that audy has set your sub volume in the avr somewhere around -10. Aslo, BR2049 is a pretty hot, some have to dial down that movie anyway.
tuner1129 likes this.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Last edited by toddct; 07-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #39284 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is the size of the room? Looks to me that you are overdriving the F12G or the driver is going bad. To know if the driver is going bad, push gently the center of the cone and listen for the flutter noise. If there is not flutter noise then the driver os fine and you are just overdriving your subwoofer. Time to upgrade to a bigger subwoofer or add a second unit.

post #39285 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
What is the size of the room? Looks to me that you are overdriving the F12G or the driver is going bad. To know if the driver is going bad, push gently the center of the cone and listen for the flutter noise. If there is not flutter noise then the driver os fine and you are just overdriving your subwoofer. Time to upgrade to a bigger subwoofer or add a second unit.
My apartment MAIN LIVING ROOM SIZE is:

Length: 19' Feet
Width: 13' Feet
Height: 10' Feet

247 Square Feet
2470 Room Volume

What should I be playing back when I do the “cone test”? I’ll report back.

I was hoping there might even be a plate amp setting that could help, perhaps as a test, even if it meant temporarily effecting my music playback. Like going from extension filter of 14hz to 28hz? Or perhaps the low pass slope setting, or changing the damping setting from high. Sorry, I’m not sure how the subwoofer amp settings really work in LFE regards.

post #39286 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My apartment MAIN LIVING ROOM SIZE is:

Length: 19' Feet
Width: 13' Feet
Height: 10' Feet

247 Square Feet
2470 Room Volume

What should I be playing back when I do the “cone test”? I’ll report back.

I was hoping there might even be a plate amp setting that could help, perhaps as a test, even if it meant temporarily effecting my music playback. Like going from extension filter of 14hz to 28hz? Or perhaps the low pass slope setting, or changing the damping setting from high. Sorry, I’m not sure how the subwoofer amp settings really work in LFE regards.
Don’t play anything, just push the cone. You can also turn ON rumble filter and set Freq at 20Hz.

post #39287 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don’t play anything, just push the cone. You can also turn ON rumble filter and set Freq at 20Hz.
With NO audio playing back, I can push in the cone (my model is the paper cone), seems to move ok, not sure how I could listen for flutter with no audio, but I’m trying to follow your exact instructions. As per my original post’s listed settings, and your past advise, I keep the rumble filter ON.

BTW: I’d have no problem buying 3 more Rythmik subwoofers, but I think my neighbors would. This 12” sub does fill my small room just fine with clean music bass, just trying to find a decent, listenable MOVIE LFE setting compromise.

THANKS for your help.

post #39288 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tried both 20kHz & 28kHz and low damping. I guess I’ll just have to listen to movies at a much lower volume because of these dam LFE signals.

Now all this testing seems to have unglued a part of the subwoofer rubber surrounds. Looks like a thin rubber skirt, glued to the inner cone. Can I repair this myself, as so far I don’t believe the speaker is damaged, could be wrong, but music playback seems ok. If so what type of GLUE would be best?

Here is a photo of my now damaged subwoofer.

Just put my hand inside that opened flap, and there is another thin rubber layer that seems torn from wherever it was held in place. Now I’m really screwed......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	2587556  

Last edited by Mactavish; 07-04-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #39289 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tried both 20kHz & 28kHz and low damping. I guess I’ll just have to listen to movies at a much lower volume because of these dam LFE signals.

Now all this testing seems to have unglued a part of the subwoofer rubber surrounds. Looks like a thin rubber skirt, glued to the inner cone. Can I repair this myself, as so far I don’t believe the speaker is damaged, could be wrong, but music playback seems ok. If so what type of GLUE would be best?

Here is a photo of my now damaged subwoofer.
That could explain the whole flutter sound. Let me ask Brian if this can be fixed.

post #39290 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That could explain the whole flutter sound. Let me ask Brian if this can be fixed.
Thanks, it’s certainly possible this appropriately 5” inner rubber tear is the problem. I usually leave the grill on, last time I removed it was to apply the Sonax rubber protectant you recommended. During this last testing with grill off, I could visually see the fluttering where the rubber tear is, didn’t push the main volume past -12, and quickly muted when I could both see and hear the flutter. This tear could have happened in the past, and in the majority of my music playback I didn’t hear it, or notice this tear. Thanks.

post #39291 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
+1

Just for your woodworking education
Actually MDF is very smooth, and very heavy. The one of the reason many quality manufacturer use this as there prefer cabinet material.
Another material that is often use in other quality cabinets, is Birch Marine Plywood. Very heavy and very expensive, between the two. I prefer MDF for it's ease of use, if you built your cabinets.

I once ask why they do not use hard wood or other fancy materials.
The answer was very simple. Speakers and subs re-produce sound, and should not produce sound like an instrument.
Therefor MDF or Birch Marine Wood been the choices, of quality manufacturers.
Since they are very inert, and do not produce there own sound like an instrument.

Darth
What about HDF? Could it be used in smaller thicknesses than MDF for the same or better results?
post #39292 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Quote:
I love the combination between my pair of F12SEs and FV25HP. I was very lucky that the only spot I had for the FV25HP is the best spot in the room to get seamless integration between my sealed subwoofers and the FV25HP. Of course, this after proper time align the subwoofers with a miniDSP 2x4 HD. Jim, in your case I would get the F25 if size if not an issue.
The concern I would have, in my system, is that the subwoofer target curve in Dirac would potentially require the F12s to do way too much. All subs have to share the same curve.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #39293 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2843 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
So, finally orderered Auralex SubDude II for my single L12 sub.

Do I need to use the sub feet when placing it on the isolation platform (or will no feet be fine)?

And can I slide the sub on the platform without feet installed to center it (or would that scratch the black oak finish on sub)?

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
post #39294 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3276 Post(s)
Liked: 3363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
The concern I would have, in my system, is that the subwoofer target curve in Dirac would potentially require the F12s to do way too much. All subs have to share the same curve.
Many folk have gone to a miniDSP exactly because of that. My Emotiva XMC-1 does allow me to treat two subs independently even using Dirac Live (it shows two subs and I can tweak them individually).
Soulburner likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #39295 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi everyone, looking at adding a couple of subs around the end of the year to a music only system. However, we will be moving in a couple of years and the subs may get moved to the home theater system, as I have no idea how large the rooms will be for the two systems. I currently have a couple of HSU VTF-15H MK2 subs in the home theater, but no subs powerful enough for the music system. Both systems have large tower speakers with ample bass down to about 40 Hz or so. I tried a couple of SVS SB12 NSD subs I had on hand, but the tower speakers in the music system have a similar low frequency drop off of around 30 Hz, as I recall. So, no real advantage having them in the system. Currently, I'm leaning towards dual Rythmik FV18 subs, even though they may end up being primarily used for music. With that in mind, would I regret going ported over sealed? I have somewhat conflicting passions when it comes to music. Sometimes I like to listen deeply into the music, particularly instrumental music. Other times, I just want to rock out as though I was at a live venue, which is why I would think the extra headroom of the ported subs would be a benefit. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
post #39296 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Do I need to use the sub feet when placing it on the isolation platform (or will no feet be fine)?

And can I slide the sub on the platform without feet installed to center it (or would that scratch the black oak finish on sub)?
I left the rubber sub feet off of my Rythmiks fron the get go and they slide very easily onto my Auralex Subdude HT pads. Simple to move them round and reposition them on the pad for easier access to the plate amp as well. Never any issues with damage to the sub finish. I don't ascribe to any of their magical claims but they do isolate vibrations through a wooden subfloor and drywall.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #39297 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I left the rubber sub feet off of my Rythmiks fron the get go and they slide very easily onto my Auralex Subdude HT pads. Simple to move them round and reposition them on the pad for easier access to the plate amp as well. Never any issues with damage to the sub finish. I don't ascribe to any of their magical claims but they do isolate vibrations through a wooden subfloor and drywall.
Thanks, that's helpful.

It seems when I play things a bit loud with bass heavy content that the floor does rumble significantly and the normally crystal clear bass does get muddied up somewhat.

(For example, when watching Season 3 of Stranger Things today around -32MV on my Yamaha.)

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
post #39298 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful.

It seems when I play things a bit loud with bass heavy content that the floor does rumble significantly and the normally crystal clear bass does get muddied up somewhat.

(For example, when watching Season 3 of Stranger Things today around -32MV on my Yamaha.)
I got the same thing. On the second floor in a small sealed bedroom. Once I placed both on the pads that all went away. The pure bass from the sub's stuck around. Their basically just well built isolation platforms. Bit pricey brand new but not a rip off like some of the other stuff out there in cable land. I use a dedicated Auralex set on my main towers as well since I left the wooden speaker bases uninstalled for space concerns. Those are there more just for balancing support and a bit of speaker/tweeter lift to ear level. I've spent money on worse things for sure.

post #39299 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyboy View Post
What about HDF? Could it be used in smaller thicknesses than MDF for the same or better results?
For using HDF, I do not see why not. Since it is even more dense than MDF.
That said, I never dealt with HDF and not 100% sure.

For using a smaller thickness, I would not do that. I believe the result would end-up, with a cabinet that may flex. Been thinner.

Hope this help a little.

Darth
post #39300 of 40482 Old 07-04-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful.

I got the same thing. On the second floor in a small sealed bedroom. Once I placed both on the pads that all went away. The pure bass from the sub's stuck around. Their basically just well built isolation platforms. Bit pricey brand new but not a rip off like some of the other stuff out there in cable land. I use a dedicated Auralex set on my main towers as well since I left the wooden speaker bases uninstalled for space concerns. Those are there more just for balancing support and a bit of speaker/tweeter lift to ear level. I've spent money on worse things for sure.
Yeah mine in a 2nd floor bedroom too. I had tried the rubber feet earlier in the year and while not designed for isolation it did work ok.

As for lifting and placing the sub onto the isolation platform any tricks for making it easier? The L12 isn't particularly heavy but I haven't lifted it before though I do have a 2nd person to help.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , integra dtc 9.8 , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page