AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/)
-   -   Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1214550-official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread.html)

enricoclaudio 07-19-2019 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulburner (Post 58313524)
That's basically what Audyssey does. It level matches each sub individually, before continuing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthray (Post 58316862)
As @Soulburner said, there is no need to do that with the Audyssey.

+1

With your AV7703, using the two sub outputs will do the following during the Audyssey calibration. On the first run, it will send separated measurement for each sub. To adjust the time delay and volume of each sub. Then do the calibration as one sub, and sending one signal to both subs. Since there is only one bass channel on any recording. This result both subs work as one unit, but are adjust to the proper level and delay for each other.

Once Audyssey is done, you can use your miniDSP 2x4 HD for tweaking.

Darth

I'm not going to start a discussion between which is better, "level matching" or "gain matching". What I explained above was gain marching, what Audyssey does is level matching. You can gain match the subwoofers before running Audyssey or any other room correction software. In my personal experience, I found that gain matching give better results as each subwoofer will work with the same force. That is why I recommended to read AustinJerry miniDSP 2x4 Guide regarding gain matching and level matching. Just read it and decide by yourself.

darthray 07-19-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enricoclaudio (Post 58316956)
I'm not going to start a discussion between which is better, "level matching" or "gain matching". What I explained above was gain marching, what Audyssey does is level matching. You can gain match the subwoofers before running Audyssey or any other room correction software. In my personal experience, I found that gain matching give better results as each subwoofer will work with the same force. That is why I recommended to read AustinJerry miniDSP 2x4 Guide regarding gain matching and level matching. Just read it and decide by yourself.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post:)

Prior using Audyssey for calibration, I always first do a gain matching for each sub. And then let the Audyssey do the level matching, for my MLP.

Darth

Soulburner 07-19-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serith (Post 58315876)
someone is selling a pair here on the classified section for $1800, 1 alone for $1k. they're down in florida though, would love to have one for my living room setup which i've been using a lot more these days.

That is a killer deal. Too bad I'm in Nebraska.

Soulburner 07-19-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enricoclaudio (Post 58316956)

The logic of wanting your subs to have the same ceiling is sound. However, it ignores room effects. There may be a reason that the sub getting boundary gain shouldn't be pushing as hard - because it could throw the response out of whack. I suppose if you EQ it down, you could achieve flatness. However that's reducing the subwoofer's output - which means the other sub will run out of gas first, so you're right back to problem number 1 with level matching. I don't know if you can get around the physics here?

Maybe I'm missing something. I've never tried gain matching, but I could next go-around.

tuner1129 07-20-2019 02:27 PM

So I finally figured out this whole youtube upload [emoji41] sorry not a professional and recorded it on my phone [emoji2357]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mickeyboy 07-21-2019 06:03 PM

Which input for L12 with Dirac?

As I understand it, the L12 has 2 inputs, a line in that includes delay and low-pass functionality and a LFE that does not. I am assuming that the LFE runs the L12 full range. Now with Dirac I am thinking that this may not be the best choice. Perhaps cutting off the L12 at some reasonable frequency like 80 Hz and letting Dirac handle the delay or phase might not give better results.

I can't try this right now owing to a dead UMIK-1 and in any event my hearing might give unfortunate results.

Any comments???

DonH50 07-21-2019 08:06 PM

Use the LFE input. Your processor controls the LPF to the sub. If you want to experiment you can adjust the Dirac Live curve and/or where it applies correction by adjusting the "curtains" in Dirac Live.

Soulburner 07-21-2019 09:19 PM

More info on the Line and LFE inputs. I have been following this Rythmik thread for 4 years now and have never seen this discussed before. Thanks to @Red MC :

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58304694

It was in response to my post here showing that it isn't 100Hz that you're localizing with a higher crossover, it's the 200Hz+ sounds coming through because the crossover is too shallow for most setups. Since we can localize 200Hz and higher sounds, you end up with sound coming from a box on the floor somewhere in the room. That is why AVRs with 24dB / octave crossover slopes are superior to the standard 12dB slopes. I did not have one at the time, however I could get the intended effect, at least on the subwoofer side, with Rythmik's controls. This allows you to run a higher crossover without the side effects, getting the full use out of your subwoofers in mitigating bass problems in your room.

Anyway, some useful info if you do plan on using the Line input.

holco 07-21-2019 09:36 PM

Ordered an F18, can't wait to test is out!!

Ethos4Lyfe 07-21-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serith (Post 58315876)
someone is selling a pair here on the classified section for $1800, 1 alone for $1k. they're down in florida though, would love to have one for my living room setup which i've been using a lot more these days.

Totally random - how do you like your PSA front LR? Thinking of looking into those...

serith 07-21-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe (Post 58324762)
Totally random - how do you like your PSA front LR? Thinking of looking into those...

i just answered this earlier today on youtube, someone asked me the same question there. copying & pasting what i told them:

i feel like i need a canned response for this question because i get it often (and i mean no offense by that, but many wonder the same thing). my room is 100% for consuming film, i very rarely just sit down there and listen to music. i think the psa speakers can sound incredible with certain genres of music, but with others it's like nails on a chalkboard. for film, they're exactly what i want, which is a "cinema" sound (e.g., i want that movie theater sound experience). i'd say for female vocals, rock, classical, orchestral, the speakers really shine. for other genres though i'm just not a fan. these speakers are clear, sharp & extremely efficient. they're amazing with dialogue too. if you are really creating a room with split use of 2.1 music listening & home theater usage i can't say i can recommend these speakers for that. i guess i just prefer a "warmer" speaker for music, but i wanted speakers that i could have at reference volume when watching a movie and not worry about when the audio is mixed hot and a jet goes sailing by which would vaporize most tweeters. also, they're great with live music performances like concerts, if that makes sense. maybe because they're more pro-audio than home audio. if you look through my posts on the avsforum (username serith) i've made similar comments about these speakers there too. hopefully you find this helpful.

Ethos4Lyfe 07-21-2019 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serith (Post 58324790)
i just answered this earlier today on youtube, someone asked me the same question there. copying & pasting what i told them:

i feel like i need a canned response for this question because i get it often (and i mean no offense by that, but many wonder the same thing). my room is 100% for consuming film, i very rarely just sit down there and listen to music. i think the psa speakers can sound incredible with certain genres of music, but with others it's like nails on a chalkboard. for film, they're exactly what i want, which is a "cinema" sound (e.g., i want that movie theater sound experience). i'd say for female vocals, rock, classical, orchestral, the speakers really shine. for other genres though i'm just not a fan. these speakers are clear, sharp & extremely efficient. they're amazing with dialogue too. if you are really creating a room with split use of 2.1 music listening & home theater usage i can't say i can recommend these speakers for that. i guess i just prefer a "warmer" speaker for music, but i wanted speakers that i could have at reference volume when watching a movie and not worry about when the audio is mixed hot and a jet goes sailing by which would vaporize most tweeters. also, they're great with live music performances like concerts, if that makes sense. maybe because they're more pro-audio than home audio. if you look through my posts on the avsforum (username serith) i've made similar comments about these speakers there too. hopefully you find this helpful.

Funny, I saw that after typing the note to you. Probably pass on them, I have watched your videos on subs and stuff, you def. know your stuff. Thanks dude

Alan P 07-22-2019 01:26 PM

No disrespect to serith, he has been around a long time and offers solid advice...but I know a lot of folks in the PSA Speaker thread who would whole-heartedly disagree with his assessment RE:PSA speakers & music, myself included. :D

If you are considering the PSA speaker line, I would encourage you to spend some time reading that thread.

torii 07-22-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan P (Post 58327434)
No disrespect to serith, he has been around a long time and offers solid advice...but I know a lot of folks in the PSA Speaker thread who would whole-heartedly disagree with his assessment RE:PSA speakers & music, myself included. :D

If you are considering the PSA speaker line, I would encourage you to spend some time reading that thread.

yea, PSA speakers all over the music listening world...lol

Ferrari_1996 07-22-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

I feel like what people say about how good they are for music depends on what kind of music they listen to. Never heard a PSA speaker but my assumption is that they're good for things like classical, female vocals, live performances but not so much for things like hip hop and house music which is more of what I listen to. I wouldn't be surprised if they're lacking a little in terms of bass response. They're sealed designs with the goal of high efficiency.

It's a tricky one because I'm considering getting PSA sub(s) in the future but I'm not sure if their speakers would be the right choice for me considering the type of music I listen to. Yes they would be paired with subs so extreme low end is not important, but I don't want an anaemic lower midbass either, which I fear may be the case.

I heard on YouTube and they seem to be lacking something for me personally. I guess warmth.

Anyway, enough of derailing this thread with PSA talk. @Rythmik @enricoclaudio while we're on the topic of speakers, does Rythmik plan on launching any speakers at some point in the future?

tortoise 07-22-2019 04:51 PM

Disappointing Ordering Experience

Ordered 2 E15HP2 SE last Thursday and got a reply today (4 days later) from Rythmik support that they are out of stock (1 B-stock available.) Inquired about a pair of F12 SE and support said they only have one. Still showing availability on the order page for both models. Quite disappointing, as the next shipment is over a month away.

torii 07-22-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoise (Post 58328428)
Ordered 2 E15HP2 SE last Thursday and got a reply today (4 days later) from Rythmik support that they are out of stock (1 B-stock available.) Inquired about a pair of F12 SE and support said they only have one. Still showing availability on the order page for both models. Quite disappointing, as the next shipment is over a month away.

I had 3 other brands in mind before I bought rythmik subs(upgrading from dual velodynes)...I was happy they were in stock, shipped quick, and fast customer service....if wasnt probably be on different thread. that being said, Im extremely satisfied.

enricoclaudio 07-22-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately you ordered while Brian and Lynn went on vacation to Japan/Taiwan (June 24th - July 20th) and Rick was alone in the warehouse. They came back to the office today. Like Lynn explained to you over email, we still have one E15HP2-SE brand new and one b-stock never used. As per your request, we already canceled your order and refunded it but you can still get the E15HP2-SE brand new and get the second one as soon we get the container by the end of August. Even if the container arrives later, we will honor the multi subwoofer purchase discount and we will credit the first subwoofer purchase discount towards the second subwoofer purchase. Meaning that you would pay $1648 for the first E15HP2-SE and $1348 for the second E15HP2-SE. This same offer would apply for a pair of F12SEs as well. I hope that helps and sorry again for all the troubles that this may have caused.

tortoise 07-22-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enricoclaudio (Post 58328656)
Unfortunately you ordered while Brian and Lynn went on vacation to Japan/Taiwan (June 24th - July 20th) and Rick was alone in the warehouse. They came back to the office today. Like Lynn explained to you over email, we still have one E15HP2-SE brand new and one b-stock never used. As per your request, we already canceled your order and refunded it but you can still get the E15HP2-SE brand new and get the second one as soon we get the container by the end of August. Even if the container arrives later, we will honor the multi subwoofer purchase discount and we will credit the first subwoofer purchase discount towards the second subwoofer purchase. Meaning that you would pay $1648 for the first E15HP2-SE and $1348 for the second E15HP2-SE. This same offer would apply for a pair of F12SEs as well. I hope that helps and sorry again for all the troubles that this may have caused.

I'll order from the pending shipment. Worth waiting for the best. :D

phatfreeza 07-22-2019 09:33 PM

Hi guys, i have dual fv25s and I currently have the rumble filter on. Because of that I have a 6db peq boost using minidsp at 10hz. I did this because I was told to keep the rumble filter on when setting up the subs. Would there be any difference if I take off the rumble filter and the peq filter? The limiter is on for both subs, running high dampening 12hz.

Question #2 - I've been reading up on mid bass and some folks are recommending crossovers of 120hz-200hz. Do you guys have any experience with those settings?

serith 07-22-2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

everyone enjoys a different sound, and i can appreciate that! i have friends that both love & hate how my psa speakers sound, it's highly subjective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari_1996 (Post 58328270)
I feel like what people say about how good they are for music depends on what kind of music they listen to. Never heard a PSA speaker but my assumption is that they're good for things like classical, female vocals, live performances

my thoughts exactly.

my father happens to own a pair of paradigm signature s8's that i absolutely love to pieces with how they reproduce music so effortlessly. the sound just melts into the background and transports you somewhere else entirely. they're like ascend acoustic sierra's with raal ribbon tweeters on (lots of) steroids. they produce a very warm, natural, enveloping sound that doesn't fatigue as you increase the volume, unlike how the psa towers do (with music). however, if i didn't like my psa speakers i would have returned them some time ago, simple as that! i think they're an incredible bargain and offer an amazing value per dollar spent for what they do, but i would not buy them for their musical reproduction alone. @enricoclaudio was spot on when he suggested i try them some time ago and for my application--they're absolutely perfect. i just really perfer a more east-coast sound, and the psa speakers are very west coast but are phenomenal for watching movies which is all that matters to me in my dedicated movie room in which they reside. if you're considering them i highly recommend you try them out in your own space and decide for yourself.

enricoclaudio 07-22-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serith (Post 58329546)
everyone enjoys a different sound, and i can appreciate that! i have friends that both love & hate how my psa speakers sound, it's highly subjective.

my thoughts exactly.

my father happens to own a pair of paradigm signature s8's that i absolutely love to pieces with how they reproduce music so effortlessly. the sound just melts into the background and transports you somewhere else entirely. they're like ascend acoustic sierra's with raal ribbon tweeters on (lots of) steroids. they produce a very warm, natural, enveloping sound that doesn't fatigue as you increase the volume, unlike how the psa towers do (with music). however, if i didn't like my psa speakers i would have returned them some time ago, simple as that! i think they're an incredible bargain and offer an amazing value per dollar spent for what they do, but i would not buy them for their musical reproduction alone. @enricoclaudio was spot on when he suggested i try them some time ago and for my application--they're absolutely perfect. i just really perfer a more east-coast sound, and the psa speakers are very west coast but are phenomenal for watching movies which is all that matters to me in my dedicated movie room in which they reside. if you're considering them i highly recommend you try them out in your own space and decide for yourself.

+1. I have lost count of how many times I have recommended PSA MTM speakers for 100% HT use. They are great speakers for movies and it's very hard to find something like them in their price range. However, if you listen to some music, and that music is mostly jazz, vocals, latin or classical even if it's only 20%, those are not the best speakers for that task. In that case Ascend Acoustics Sierra w/RAAL or Salk Sound speakers are my recommendation. Compression drivers are not my cup of tee with music. I do prefer a more warm and laid back kinda sound for music reproduction. Another thing that I discovered lately is that when listening to my Sierra w/RAAL speakers at very loud volume, like -5dB from reference, they sound as dynamic as speakers with compression drivers but with even more detail. Again, this is my personal experience and either way I do recommend audition speakers and get the ones that sound better in your room with the material you are familiar the most.

imureh 07-23-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phatfreeza (Post 58329412)
Hi guys, i have dual fv25s and I currently have the rumble filter on. Because of that I have a 6db peq boost using minidsp at 10hz. I did this because I was told to keep the rumble filter on when setting up the subs. Would there be any difference if I take off the rumble filter and the peq filter? The limiter is on for both subs, running high dampening 12hz.

Question #2 - I've been reading up on mid bass and some folks are recommending crossovers of 120hz-200hz. Do you guys have any experience with those settings?

The rumble filter is there to protect the driver for content like the EoT intro when listening at reference. For most content with moderate listening levels it would make no difference. The crossover is all personal preference. Only way to know is to try it out and see what you like.

Moscoe 07-23-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Poor form to come on a public message board and complain about such a minor inconvenience. This is a small internet direct company, they don't have the same resources as mass market high volume manufacturers, but you get a superior product if you have a little patience. Like many custom made or small volume products, you might have to wait but the wait is worth it.

aceinc 07-23-2019 07:16 PM

Not that Brian and his guys need it, but I would recommend them as a company, and their products without hesitation.

I am a fairly early adopter with a 15" CI which I built ~13 years ago & still use. About two years back I bought & built a pair of GR-Research dual 12" OB W subs, which are a joint project between Danny Richie & Brian. I use them as woofers, currently with Magnepan MMGs as the rest of the fronts. Quite satisfied with them as well. I have spoken with Brian over the years, and he has always provided great advice, support and has listened to my cockamamie ideas, bringing me back to reality.

Madmax67 07-23-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moscoe (Post 58333306)
Poor form to come on a public message board and complain about such a minor inconvenience. This is a small internet direct company, they don't have the same resources as mass market high volume manufacturers, but you get a superior product if you have a little patience. Like many custom made or small volume products, you might have to wait but the wait is worth it.

Meh! Everybody has a right to speak their peace about their experiences both good and bad. Companies are made up of people and people make mistakes. Acknowledging a dropped ball and quickly offering an alternative fix is the sign of a seasoned retailer and Enrico did just that. If all any business is ever getting is praise then that company can get the big head and service can slip.

What good retailers understand is every customer at the point of sale is hypersensitive in getting their product. There's that endorphin rush that comes with clicking buy now and crashing from that euphoria isn't fun.

I sold my youngest sister her first brand new vehicle years back as a factory order and 6 weeks later as I got back from lunch my mgr. told me to go to the make ready area as it was drop shipped while I was away. As I turned the shop corner I saw it and the whole front of the hood and headlights were smashed in from transport damage so I know that feeling all too well. Highest high to the lowest low in a matter of minutes and it wasn't even my car[emoji30].

rcohen 07-24-2019 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enricoclaudio (Post 58329564)
+1. I have lost count of how many times I have recommended PSA MTM speakers for 100% HT use. They are great speakers for movies and it's very hard to find something like them in their price range. However, if you listen to some music, and that music is mostly jazz, vocals, latin or classical even if it's only 20%, those are not the best speakers for that task. In that case Ascend Acoustics Sierra w/RAAL or Salk Sound speakers are my recommendation. Compression drivers are not my cup of tee with music. I do prefer a more warm and laid back kinda sound for music reproduction. Another thing that I discovered lately is that when listening to my Sierra w/RAAL speakers at very loud volume, like -5dB from reference, they sound as dynamic as speakers with compression drivers but with even more detail. Again, this is my personal experience and either way I do recommend audition speakers and get the ones that sound better in your room with the material you are familiar the most.

I have to disagree that all compression drivers have an inherent sound character that isn't warm, or isn't ideal for certain types of music. Many specific speakers certainly do, but some speakers using compression drivers have spectacular neutral and smooth sound, just with superior dynamics. Some examples are JTR 3-way speakers (210RT, 215RT, 212HTR, etc) and JBL M2, 708, 4367. Those speakers lack nothing in terms of sound quality.

I have heard Sierras w/RAAL and I agree that they are great sounding and beautiful looking speakers. They can't match the dynamics of great sounding speakers using high end compression drivers and an order of magnitude more output capability, though.

I also have to disagree with the notion that great sounding speakers using compression drivers aren't ideal for certain types of music. If they are great sounding, neutral speakers, they should sound great with all types of music. My experience is that very dynamic speakers only expand the types of music that sounds good. I used to blame my audiophile speakers for being "too revealing" for "bad recordings" and making them sound dull. It turned out that those speakers lacked dynamics and didn't have a flat frequency response.

I think it's more accurate to say that non-neutral speakers that favor certain frequencies will sound "more clear" or "more revealing" to certain recordings. It's just a trick where they are emphasizing key parts of certain recordings, and not something I want in my speakers.

The Sierra RAALs have a flat frequency response, with undistorted treble...good stuff, and certainly a welcome change after listening to speakers with rolled off or distorted treble. They are lacking in the bass department, but I know you are well covered there. :)

I haven't heard PSAs, but I understand that they deliver impressive dynamics and a great value, although I don't believe they are neutral sounding speakers.

I will give you this...compression driver speakers that match or beat the Sierra RAAL sound quality tend to be more expensive. They generally require more expensive components and very talented designers. The compression drivers and horns are flexible tools, though, and can be used to achieve lots of different types of results.

pink soda 07-24-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcohen (Post 58334588)
I have to disagree that all compression drivers have an inherent sound character that isn't warm, or isn't ideal for certain types of music. Many specific speakers certainly do, but some speakers using compression drivers have spectacular neutral and smooth sound, just with superior dynamics. Some examples are JTR 3-way speakers (210RT, 215RT, 212HTR, etc) and JBL M2, 708, 4367. Those speakers lack nothing in terms of sound quality.

I have heard Sierras w/RAAL and I agree that they are great sounding and beautiful looking speakers. They can't match the dynamics of great sounding speakers using high end compression drivers and an order of magnitude more output capability, though.

I also have to disagree with the notion that great sounding speakers using compression drivers aren't ideal for certain types of music. If they are great sounding, neutral speakers, they should sound great with all types of music. My experience is that very dynamic speakers only expand the types of music that sounds good. I used to blame my audiophile speakers for being "too revealing" for "bad recordings" and making them sound dull. It turned out that those speakers lacked dynamics and didn't have a flat frequency response.

I think it's more accurate to say that non-neutral speakers that favor certain frequencies will sound "more clear" or "more revealing" to certain recordings. It's just a trick where they are emphasizing key parts of certain recordings, and not something I want in my speakers.

The Sierra RAALs have a flat frequency response, with undistorted treble...good stuff, and certainly a welcome change after listening to speakers with rolled off or distorted treble. They are lacking in the bass department, but I know you are well covered there. :)

I haven't heard PSAs, but I understand that they deliver impressive dynamics and a great value, although I don't believe they are neutral sounding speakers.

I will give you this...compression driver speakers that match or beat the Sierra RAAL sound quality tend to be more expensive. They generally require more expensive components and very talented designers. The compression drivers and horns are flexible tools, though, and can be used to achieve lots of different types of results.

For what it's worth, I also used to think my Sierra RAAL towers were too revealing on bad recordings. It turns out that my speaker placement, my room, and my components all had plenty of room for improvement. After making significant upgrades in those areas, I'm frequently shocked by how good music with "average" mastering sound, and I also no longer feel that the Sierra Towers are lacking in bass at all. I have a pair of capable subwoofers that I like very much, but I can barely tell the difference between running full range towers vs 2.1 on nearly all music that I listen to (all kinds of genres but mostly those with live instruments like rock, metal, jazz, classical, rather than something like Bassotronics). I consider that a testament to not only how well the Rythmiks integrate with the Ascends (as is often stated), but also how capable the Ascends are when their full potential is heard. Your observations could very well be correct too, but I just wanted to point out that often times the problem isn't even with the speakers.

rcohen 07-24-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink soda (Post 58335074)
For what it's worth, I also used to think my Sierra RAAL towers were too revealing on bad recordings. It turns out that my speaker placement, my room, and my components all had plenty of room for improvement. After making significant upgrades in those areas, I'm frequently shocked by how good music with "average" mastering sound, and I also no longer feel that the Sierra Towers are lacking in bass at all. I have a pair of capable subwoofers that I like very much, but I can barely tell the difference between running full range towers vs 2.1 on nearly all music that I listen to (all kinds of genres but mostly those with live instruments, rather than something like Bassotronics). Your observations could very well be correct too, but I just wanted to point out that often times the problem isn't even with the speakers.

That's a very good point. Bass in particularly is highly influenced by the room and placement. Similarly, the flat upper frequency response like the Sierra RAALs can sound bright in highly reflective rooms. As long as you start with a speaker that can play high frequencies cleanly, you have the right ingredients to get good results with some EQ and room treatment. If the speaker can't do high frequencies cleanly, all you can do is boost distortion, and they're better off attenuated.

The unsatisfying low end I noticed on the Sierra RAALs may well have been due to the room I heard them in. My reaction was "sounds great but really needs subs."

dinamigym 07-24-2019 09:28 AM

I think there is one other aspect that plays a huge part in a lot of peoples speaker decision making and it has nothing to do with which has better sound quality. Most, if not all of the compression driver speakers being discussed are not very pleasing to look at. That fact unfortunately, really limits where someone can or would be willing to use them. In most cases it would have to be a dedicated home theater and maybe even behind a theater screen. I can't think of many people who would put them in a study or main living area and think they add to the aesthetics. I believe most feel speakers in those areas need to sound good but also look good. There is a reason as speakers ramp up in price that speaker makers go to great lengths to make them look like furniture/art.