Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 1379 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14790Likes

post #41341 of 41389 Old 01-14-2020, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked: 2119
I think just about everyone that has ever heard/own rythmik subs can admit how clean and powerful they are with the important bonus of outstanding customer service.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41342 of 41389 Old 01-14-2020, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Thinking about HSU vs Rythmik for my new HT setup. I'm 80% Movies/TV

The room is big, open area living room with vaulting ceilings connecting to a kitchen. It's about 3.3k cubic feet.

I'd like to get dual subs eventually. Am I better off with the FVX15 over the FV15? I'm not sure I understand the difference exactly and what the actual tangible difference is in what seems like a small DB gap. Keep in mind I'm new to home theater stuff and so don't fully understand what all the measurements really mean.

I do know that if I got the FVX, it's more reasonable to justify buying a second sub in the next 6 months. If I got the FV15, I might wait longer or never get a second one as it's hard for me to justify almost 3k on subs, my projector, screen, and speaker setup cost just about that 🙂.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #41343 of 41389 Old 01-14-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked: 3667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Dough View Post
Hi all,

The room is big, open area living room with vaulting ceilings connecting to a kitchen. It's about 3.3k cubic feet.

I'd like to get dual subs eventually. Am I better off with the FVX15 over the FV15? I'm not sure I understand the difference exactly and what the actual tangible difference is in what seems like a small DB gap. Keep in mind I'm new to home theater stuff and so don't fully understand what all the measurements really mean.

I do know that if I got the FVX, it's more reasonable to justify buying a second sub in the next 6 months. If I got the FV15, I might wait longer or never get a second one as it's hard for me to justify almost 3k on subs, my projector, screen, and speaker setup cost just about that 🙂.
While I am not familiar with those two subs model, according to the specifications. Since you do indeed have a big room, and the better sub/s you get the better. From my previous experience, I would get the FV15. Even if you have to wait longer for a second one, this way you not have the buyer remorse of thinking "What if".

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 01-14-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41344 of 41389 Old 01-14-2020, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
No you don't. You simply need to adjust the one closest to you. This has been done in these forums for years long before the must have MiniDSP hysteria. Speakers are also minimum phase devices so if you flatten the FR through multi sub placement and measurements then you fix the time domain as well. Yes there may be some larger spaces where that 16.5ms delay isn't long enough but again our (meaning humans) ability to hear phase variations st low frequencies is greatly exaggerated. Correcting for phase variations isn't as important as some here make it out to be. That's what I'm getting at.
On Rythmik subwoofers, the delay setting is a true delay, not a phase adjustment. In my extensive testing in two different houses I have needed to adjust the delay on both subs, iteratively, to get the flattest response.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #41345 of 41389 Old 01-15-2020, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Rythmik FAQ - Q&A 1

Hi all,
As I had posted a few months ago, having read through the last 2+ years of this forum, I thought it would be useful for folks to have access to a Rythmik FAQ. Before posting it, I thought I'd garner feedback from the experts here. If you have an edit or something you think I should add, let me know. Ultimately, @Rythmik and @enricoclaudio get final editing privileges, of course.

Here's Q1:

What do I lose in SQ going from a competitor’s sealed sub to a ported Rythmik? What about from sealed Rythmiks to ported Rythmiks?

Frequent contributors to this thread will maintain that the servo technology used in all Rythmik subs allows even Rythmik’s ported offerings to compete well against other brands’ sealed subs. Alongside servo tech, the amps on Rythmik subs allow a level of tuning control not found on other brands. As such, a ported Rythmik set to high damping will exhibit SQ comparable to competitors’ sealed offerings. A sealed Rythmik sub will sound even tighter and faster (although some maintain that discerning between ported and sealed subwoofers is impossible – e.g. post 40384 by @Madmax67 ).

In the transition from sealed Rythmiks to ported Rythmiks, you can expect to pick up increased TR (tactile response, i.e. floor shake) and low-Hz output (dB). Set to high damping, a ported Rythmik will sound closest to a sealed Rythmik. Set to low damping, a user picks up extra TR and output.

Sealed subs are also known to exhibit lower distortion and slower roll-off at ultra-low frequencies, whereas ported subs roll off very quickly below their port tune. As such, per post 33381 ( @enricoclaudio ), sealed subs are recommended for small- or medium-sized sealed rooms, where room gain can result in deeper extension relative to a ported sub. Regardless, due to servo tech, Rythmik ported subs offer very low distortion compared to other ported subs. Sealed Rythmiks are even better in this regard.

For HT (home theater) use, ported subs are often recommended. For music-only setups, sealed subs are recommended (for tighter, more "musical" bass). For mixed use, a ported Rythmik sub set to mid- or high-damping seems to provide the best of both worlds.

One final note: because Rythmik subs have reduced distortion (and thereby less “ringing”) relative to the many “one note” subs that are available, the bass impact may initially feel lacking. This is the trade-off for cleaner, more accurate bass reproduction. It may take some getting used to, but most forum posters never go back! Low damping can bridge the gap between higher distortion subs and Rythmik subs, but the Rythmik will almost always still sound “cleaner.” The paper cone of the FV18, which provides additional mid-bass output relative to the aluminum cone, is therefore highly recommended for HT use as a "best case" scenario.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; HiVi Swan X3 monitors (laptop)
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Ultra and Isobar 4; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
post #41346 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 3007
^^^ Great post!
Call me old fashion and not the latest trend kind of guy but the new notion of "ported subs for HT and sealed for music" (not just your post on this recommendation) and best of both worlds is ported set to mid or high damping is still just a preference! A sealed sub system calibrated with in context of the room and rest of the system delivers the full home theater experience. Some may seek to go beyond that by adding what he or she may feel is missing "preference" while others may want seek to integrate there bass on a synergistic level with the rest of there setup and some won't even add a boost to there subs after calibration is done. My point is bass is bass and its accurate or not music and movies included! Same rules apply for ported and sealed in my humble opinion
post #41347 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
^^^ Great post!
Call me old fashion and not the latest trend kind of guy but the new notion of "ported subs for HT and sealed for music" (not just your post on this recommendation) and best of both worlds is ported set to mid or high damping is still just a preference! A sealed sub system calibrated with in context of the room and rest of the system delivers the full home theater experience. Some may seek to go beyond that by adding what he or she may feel is missing "preference" while others may want seek to integrate there bass on a synergistic level with the rest of there setup and some won't even add a boost to there subs after calibration is done. My point is bass is bass and its accurate or not music and movies included! Same rules apply for ported and sealed in my humble opinion
Point well taken. The FAQ response is tailored to give general guidance and feedback, of course, but every single person and room and sub will show preferences.

Based on my reading, sealed subs outperform ported with respect to slower ULF roll-off, so if you can achieve the desired dBs and you get a flat response with sealed in your space, I don't see why sealed wouldn't offer an excellent experience.

But with all that in mind, I think this is addressed in the second-to-last paragraph, at least in a broad-reaching FAQ fashion...
audiofan1 likes this.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; HiVi Swan X3 monitors (laptop)
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
post #41348 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Hi all,

Hi Drew,

Duals of a powerful ported sub can be the way to go for large open rooms, especially if you desire more consistent bass in multiple seating positions, but usually requires a lot of placement experimentation and measuring to get the two subs to produce a complimentary combined frequency response. I would add to your consideration the option of a single FV18 paper cone, not duals. I bought duals recently but after difficulty getting two to play nice I have been running only a single FV18 in a 5,500cf space, and the results are stunning. Powerful, effortless, clean reproduction of LFE in movies. I'm calibrated for the center seating position which works for me because neither my wife nor occasional family guests care or notice the subtleties of audio we sweat over on these forums. The FV18 paper cone is the best high performance value in the subwoofer world IMO and could be the last sub you would ever need.

Ross

DISPLAY: Sony 45ES, 175" Silver Ticket screen
post #41349 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Hi Drew,

Duals of a powerful ported sub can be the way to go for large open rooms, especially if you desire more consistent bass in multiple seating positions, but usually requires a lot of placement experimentation and measuring to get the two subs to produce a complimentary combined frequency response. I would add to your consideration the option of a single FV18 paper cone, not duals. I bought duals recently but after difficulty getting two to play nice I have been running only a single FV18 in a 5,500cf space, and the results are stunning. Powerful, effortless, clean reproduction of LFE in movies. I'm calibrated for the center seating position which works for me because neither my wife nor occasional family guests care or notice the subtleties of audio we sweat over on these forums. The FV18 paper cone is the best high performance value in the subwoofer world IMO and could be the last sub you would ever need.

Ross
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I reached out to Rythmik and they also suggested the 18 paper cone, and I was just about ready to buy one and now that I've seen your post it seals the deal for me.

Will pull the trigger on it today.

Thanks again for your help and especially giving the context on 2 subs vs 1. Everyone always says 2 is needed. I mostly watch movies with myself or just one other person so I don't care if every seat in my living room has perfect bass.

About placement, I tried doing a sub crawl with my little 10" Klipsch sub, but I honestly couldn't discern any difference in the different areas of the floor.

Is it possible I just have a welll balanced room with regards to where my MLP is or something?

I'm guessing I need to do the sub crawl again when the big daddy 18 comes, or maybe it will just be the same anyway?

Thanks again!
rossandwendy likes this.
post #41350 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2773 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Quote:

About placement, I tried doing a sub crawl with my little 10" Klipsch sub, but I honestly couldn't discern any difference in the different areas of the floor.

Is it possible I just have a welll balanced room with regards to where my MLP is or something?

Thanks again!
Either that or you are easy to please
geocab likes this.
post #41351 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Quote:

Thanks again!
Either that or you are easy to please [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Well.. it's a huge room and a dinky sub.
I tried 3 other placements with some friends and we found the best spot was in front of the screen to the right side. But it was only incrementally better.
post #41352 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Box Dimensions

Does anyone happen to have the box dimensions for an FV18? I need to see if it will fit in my truck with all the other stuff in my canopy.
post #41353 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
Hi all,
As I had posted a few months ago, having read through the last 2+ years of this forum, I thought it would be useful for folks to have access to a Rythmik FAQ. Before posting it, I thought I'd garner feedback from the experts here. If you have an edit or something you think I should add, let me know. Ultimately, @Rythmik and @enricoclaudio get final editing privileges, of course.

Here's Q1:

What do I lose in SQ going from a competitor’️s sealed sub to a ported Rythmik? What about from sealed Rythmiks to ported Rythmiks?

Frequent contributors to this thread will maintain that the servo technology used in all Rythmik subs allows even Rythmik’️s ported offerings to compete well against other brands’️ sealed subs. Alongside servo tech, the amps on Rythmik subs allow a level of tuning control not found on other brands. As such, a ported Rythmik set to high damping will exhibit SQ comparable to competitors’️ sealed offerings. A sealed Rythmik sub will sound even tighter and faster (although some maintain that discerning between ported and sealed subwoofers is impossible – e.g. post 40384 by @Madmax67 ).

In the transition from sealed Rythmiks to ported Rythmiks, you can expect to pick up increased TR (tactile response, i.e. floor shake) and low-Hz output (dB). Set to high damping, a ported Rythmik will sound closest to a sealed Rythmik. Set to low damping, a user picks up extra TR and output.

Sealed subs are also known to exhibit lower distortion and slower roll-off at ultra-low frequencies, whereas ported subs roll off very quickly below their port tune. As such, per post 33381 ( @enricoclaudio ), sealed subs are recommended for small- or medium-sized sealed rooms, where room gain can result in deeper extension relative to a ported sub. Regardless, due to servo tech, Rythmik ported subs offer very low distortion compared to other ported subs. Sealed Rythmiks are even better in this regard.

For HT (home theater) use, ported subs are often recommended. For music-only setups, sealed subs are recommended (for tighter, more "musical" bass). For mixed use, a ported Rythmik sub set to mid- or high-damping seems to provide the best of both worlds.

One final note: because Rythmik subs have reduced distortion (and thereby less “ringing”) relative to the many “one note” subs that are available, the bass impact may initially feel lacking. This is the trade-off for cleaner, more accurate bass reproduction. It may take some getting used to, but most forum posters never go back! Low damping can bridge the gap between higher distortion subs and Rythmik subs, but the Rythmik will almost always still sound “cleaner.” The paper cone of the FV18, which provides additional mid-bass output relative to the aluminum cone, is therefore highly recommended for HT use as a "best case" scenario.
Those who have personally heard both ported and sealed Rythmiks like myself (owned LV12R for 3 years and now L12 for over a year and took the time to fully optimize both before judging sound quality differences) do generally notice a difference in sound quality.

Those who haven't heard both might claim otherwise but real world experience with these somewhat different subs is different than theory or experience with non servo subs.

My experience is not the only one either. I preferred the sealed L12 in my room because of the more refined response due to the very shallow low end rolloff in Low Music allowing a flat response from 100Hz down to 5-6Hz using the dual Line Ins. It sounds cleaner and tighter by quite a bit still has a fair bit of tactile response when I remove my SubDude II and let it set directly on the carpet with no feet installed.

Also, agree with Ross that a single sub can work quite well for a single seat and is easy to setup once the best placement and sub EQ are determined.

That being said the LV12R was a great sub and certainly sounds great once properly positioned and equalized. The rear port did require more breathing room than the sealed L12 that only has sound coming from the driver alone. It did indeed have more tactile response and 3.5dB more max output from 20Hz on up but I have a 1200 cu ft sealed square bedroom on the 2nd floor with suspended wood floor with carpet.

So, tactile response is a bit excessive with a relatively large ported sub like the LV12R, at least for my space.

The LV12R could get a bit boomy at times especially with the Low Bass Extension mode (which gave the flattest low end response). Mid sounded more musical but was a bit rolled off at the low end. High sounded best but lack deep bass so didn't really have the extra weight a flat low end provides.

The L12 even in Low HT mode is cleaner and tighter than the LV12R in High mode. And still flat to 20Hz while doing so. Low Music doesn't roll off in room until 5Hz, so any phase shift is 2 octaves below 20Hz.

Not everyone will prefer sealed over ported Rythmiks or high damping vs low (or Rythmiks over non servo subs). That is perfectly fine, however there are definitely audible differences between all of these and individual hearing acuity and room acoustics and listening habits and content chosen all factor in. I just don't buy into any theoretical or technical arguments that claim it all sounds the same with subwoofer frequencies.

(One cannot simply assume that a properly setup so so sub will sound as good as properly setup great sub because how bass works in small rooms. It is more nuanced than that and real world experience has taught me that.)
rossandwendy and audiofan1 like this.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
post #41354 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Hi Drew,

Ross
I know that the listening space has changed alot but how does the FV18 paper cone sound vs the L22s you had before?

Did you get a chance to throughly listen to both in their deepest extending and high damping modes?

What are the pros and cons to each?

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
post #41355 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 4075 Post(s)
Liked: 5093
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsbyjay View Post
Does anyone happen to have the box dimensions for an FV18? I need to see if it will fit in my truck with all the other stuff in my canopy.
Drew just asked the same over email

Shipping Box Dimensions are 29 inch x 27 inch x 41 inch.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #41356 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1926
Believe it or not, vented subwoofers actually have lower distortion - it comes with the boost to efficiency.
darthray likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #41357 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Believe it or not, vented subwoofers actually have lower distortion - it comes with the boost to efficiency.
Not the same thing as sound quality at SPL levels where THD is kept below audible levels.

No sub will sound good when pushed outside its linear operating range.
darthray, audiofan1 and Tersi like this.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
post #41358 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Hi Drew,

Ross
Hey Ross, do you have a miniDSP? If not, you may want to consider picking one up. Sounds like you've gone through your placement options with results not to your satisfaction. The miniDSP would help help you dial them in quite a bit. Obviously you would also need REW and a umik to see what's going on. While all of this is not necessary if you are super happy with just using the single sub. But, in most cases, people find duals subs to give a more substantial balanced performance over a single and not necessarily just a boost in SPL. (Edit: You basically said as much above. Just a reiteration on my part. ) Albeit, that is not always the case. They obviously have to play well though, which is where the miniDSP comes in when your placement and or room isn't playing nice.

Just a thought.

Glad you are enjoying the FV18! It's a great sub. I've been saying for a while that it's probably the best sub under $2k.........at least that I've heard so far.

Todd

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Last edited by toddct; 01-16-2020 at 04:59 PM.
post #41359 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked: 3667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Not the same thing as sound quality at SPL levels where THD is kept below audible levels.

No sub will sound good when pushed outside its linear operating range.
While I agree with the above quote above yours, I also very much agree on this one. The reason many prefer having more sub/s than needed, instead of border line for output

Darth
audiofan1 likes this.
post #41360 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Drew just asked the same over email

Shipping Box Dimensions are 29 inch x 27 inch x 41 inch.
Does it have to stand up or can it lay on its back?
Thanks,
post #41361 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 4075 Post(s)
Liked: 5093
Quote:
Thanks,
It can lay on its side, not on its back as on the back you have the amp inputs and controls.
darthray and fordsbyjay like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #41362 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Quote:
Thanks,
It can lay on its side, not on its back as on the back you have the amp inputs and controls.
Is there any disadvantage of it not being on its feet? E.g. with vibrations or something?

Also, is there a surge protector you recommend for using with this beast?
post #41363 of 41389 Old 01-16-2020, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
I reached out to Rythmik and they also suggested the 18 paper cone, and I was just about ready to buy one and now that I've seen your post it seals the deal for me.

Congrats Drew! You are going to be really happy with it.

Quote:
I know that the listening space has changed alot but how does the FV18 paper cone sound vs the L22s you had before?

Did you get a chance to throughly listen to both in their deepest extending and high damping modes?

Well I had been using 3 of my 4 L22's in this same 5500cf space for the last 1.5 years and I was actually really pleased with the sound and performance for the type of films I watch most often. The L22's are just so clean and well balanced, audiophile SQ to my ears, and I think they are the sleeper killer value in the under $1k price range in Rythmik's line. If I was in a small sealed room i would be using all 4 L22's and never need anything more.

I started to want to watch more of the big loud action flicks in my blu-ray collection and also got upgraditis, so eventually got the FV18 paper cones. To my ears, the essential sound character is very similar to the L22's on most material. The biggest difference is the sense of effortless power in the 20Hz and under range, where it would take 4 stacked L22's to equal a single FV18. So what I'm hearing is the same great musical SQ that I love so much in the L22's, but with a lot more dynamic headroom capability in the deepest bass when the film gets crazy with LFE, and that 18" driver and three big ports also gives more presence and feel in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddct View Post
Hey Ross, do you have a miniDSP? If not, you may want to consider picking one up. Sounds like you've gone through your placement options with results not to your satisfaction. The miniDSP would help help you dial them in quite a bit. Obviously you would also need REW and a umik to see what's going on. While all of this is not necessary if you are super happy with just using the single sub. But, in most cases, people find duals subs to give a more substantial balanced performance over a single and not necessarily just a boost in SPL. (Edit: You basically said as much above. Just a reiteration on my part. ) Albeit, that is not always the case. They obviously have to play well though, which is where the miniDSP comes in when your placement and or room isn't playing nice.

Just a thought.

Glad you are enjoying the FV18! It's a great sub. I've been saying for a while that it's probably the best sub under $2k.........at least that I've heard so far.

Todd
Hi Todd. No MiniDSP yet, and have been considering it, but honestly I am so amazed at the sound of the single FV18, testing the same demo movie scenes and comparing to the duals in 4 or 5 different placements (recalibrating with XT32 with each arrangement), that I very well may sell the unneeded 2nd FV18 and use the funds toward a new Seymour AT screen with 4-way magnetic masking panels that i have been lusting after. I won't make the decision until I do some more experimentation and listening to duals, but I'm in no hurry to mess with it at the moment because the single is working really well for me.

Ross
darthray and jamiebosco like this.

DISPLAY: Sony 45ES, 175" Silver Ticket screen
post #41364 of 41389 Old 01-17-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Congrats Drew! You are going to be really happy with it.

Quote:

Well I had been using 3 of my 4 L22's in this same 5500cf space for the last 1.5 years and I was actually really pleased with the sound and performance for the type of films I watch most often. The L22's are just so clean and well balanced, audiophile SQ to my ears, and I think they are the sleeper killer value in the under $1k price range in Rythmik's line. If I was in a small sealed room i would be using all 4 L22's and never need anything more.

I started to want to watch more of the big loud action flicks in my blu-ray collection and also got upgraditis, so eventually got the FV18 paper cones. To my ears, the essential sound character is very similar to the L22's on most material. The biggest difference is the sense of effortless power in the 20Hz and under range, where it would take 4 stacked L22's to equal a single FV18. So what I'm hearing is the same great musical SQ that I love so much in the L22's, but with a lot more dynamic headroom capability in the deepest bass when the film gets crazy with LFE, and that 18" driver and three big ports also gives more presence and feel in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddct View Post
Hey Ross, do you have a miniDSP? If not, you may want to consider picking one up. Sounds like you've gone through your placement options with results not to your satisfaction. The miniDSP would help help you dial them in quite a bit. Obviously you would also need REW and a umik to see what's going on. While all of this is not necessary if you are super happy with just using the single sub. But, in most cases, people find duals subs to give a more substantial balanced performance over a single and not necessarily just a boost in SPL. (Edit: You basically said as much above. Just a reiteration on my part. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]) Albeit, that is not always the case. They obviously have to play well though, which is where the miniDSP comes in when your placement and or room isn't playing nice.

Just a thought.

Todd
Hi Todd. No MiniDSP yet, and have been considering it, but honestly I am so amazed at the sound of the single FV18, testing the same demo movie scenes and comparing to the duals in 4 or 5 different placements (recalibrating with XT32 with each arrangement), that I very well may sell the unneeded 2nd FV18 and use the funds toward a new Seymour AT screen with 4-way magnetic masking panels that i have been lusting after. I won't make the decision until I do some more experimentation and listening to duals, but I'm in no hurry to mess with it at the moment because the single is working really well for me.

Ross
Interesting that your room the L22s and FV18 paper cone have very similar sound quality/signature.

I think the room acoustics likely play a big role because in my room too much bass energy just gets boomy. So, the leaner sealed sound helps a lot. I have even plugged the ports on my speakers because otherwise I get very strong modal peaks right around the 50Hz port tune because my room has a very strong mode at 47Hz, especially where my front 3 speakers are.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
post #41365 of 41389 Old 01-17-2020, 10:28 AM

FAQ Q1, edited

Thanks for all the input. I've edited the FAQ answer based on points made by several posters. See below. I'll continue to take edits on this, and post Q&A #2 soon. Please keep in mind that I'm not a sub expert, I don't even (yet) own a Rythmik sub, and I'm just trying to capture GENERAL points.

What do I lose in SQ going from a competitor’s sealed sub to a ported Rythmik? What about from sealed Rythmiks to ported Rythmiks?

Frequent contributors to this thread will maintain that the servo technology used in all Rythmik subs allows even Rythmik’s ported offerings to compete well against other brands’ sealed subs. Alongside servo tech, the amps on Rythmik subs allow a level of tuning control not found on other brands. As such, a ported Rythmik set to high damping will exhibit SQ comparable to competitors’ sealed offerings. A sealed Rythmik sub will sound even tighter and faster (although some maintain that discerning between ported and sealed subwoofers is impossible – e.g. post 40384 by @Madmax67 and post 41363 by @rossandwendy ; others disagree based on in-room experience, maintaining that a difference in sound quality is discernible between sealed and ported subs, as in post 41353 by @PlasmaPZ80U ).

In the transition from sealed Rythmiks to ported Rythmiks, you can expect to pick up increased TR (tactile response, i.e. floor shake) and low-Hz output (dB). Set to high damping, a ported Rythmik will sound closest to a sealed Rythmik but will roll off faster at low frequencies. Set to low damping, a user picks up extra TR and output.

Sealed subs also have slower roll-off at ultra-low frequencies, whereas ported subs roll off very quickly below their port tune. As such, per post 33381 by @enricoclaudio , sealed subs are recommended for small- or medium-sized sealed rooms, where room gain can result in deeper extension relative to a ported sub. Regardless, due to servo tech, Rythmik ported subs offer very low distortion compared to other ported subs. Sealed Rythmiks are even better in this regard.

For HT (home theater) use, ported subs are often recommended. For music-only setups, sealed subs are often recommended. For mixed use, a ported Rythmik sub set to mid- or high-damping seems to provide the best of both worlds based on forum discussions. Ultimately, it is up to the end user to decide, as a sealed sub(s), properly integrated into a room, can deliver a full home theater experience (post 41346 by @audiofan1 ).

One final note: because Rythmik subs have reduced distortion (and thereby less “ringing”) relative to the “one note” subs that are available, the bass impact may initially feel lacking. This is the trade-off for cleaner, more accurate bass reproduction. It may take some getting used to, but most forum posters never go back! Low damping can bridge the gap between higher distortion subs and Rythmik subs, but the Rythmik will almost always still sound “cleaner.” The paper cone of the FV18, which provides additional mid-bass output relative to the aluminum cone, is therefore recommended for HT use.

post #41366 of 41389 Old 01-17-2020, 10:36 AM

FAQ intro

For those wondering what in the world I'm doing trying to compile all this information when I don't even own a Rythmik, here is my intro to the upcoming FAQ.

The Unofficial Rythmik Subwoofers AVS Forum FAQ

About the author: jwskud

I don’t currently own a Rythmik sub! So why did I spend my time throwing together a Rythmik FAQ? As soon as budget allows (hopefully by the end of 2021 at the latest), I plan to add an FV18 (paper cone, Rev2). In preparing to make this large purchase (I’m not one to casually spend almost $2,000...or perhaps I should say, my wife doesn't allow me to casually spend $2,000 with 3 college educations to fund!), I spent about 8 months reading through thousands of posts (2017 to present) on the Rythmik owners’ thread, educating myself on high-end subs, trying to determine the best subwoofer for my space.

In so doing, I encountered the same questions being asked repeatedly, and I thought I could do the forum’s frequent posters (who have taught me a lot) a favor by authoring a FAQ which answers some of these oft-asked questions. Moreover, I thought such a document would be useful to you, the potential customer. The AVS Rythmik Audio Subwoofer Thread already contains in excess of 40,000 posts!

Ultimately, however, if you have a question about a Rythmik product, your best bet is to contact @enricoclaudio (Enrico Castagnetti) and @Rythmik (Brian Ding), the wizards of Rythmik Audio, who are always very gracious with their time and knowledge. They can be PM’d here on AVS Forum, or via their website contact page.

post #41367 of 41389 Old 01-17-2020, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked: 3489
Quote:
Clearly a golden opportunity to buy a bigger truck.
darrob104 and audiofan1 like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #41368 of 41389 Old 01-18-2020, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
For those wondering what in the world I'm doing trying to compile all this information when I don't even own a Rythmik, here is my intro to the upcoming FAQ.

The Unofficial Rythmik Subwoofers AVS Forum FAQ

About the author: jwskud

I don’t currently own a Rythmik sub! So why did I spend my time throwing together a Rythmik FAQ? As soon as budget allows (hopefully by the end of 2021 at the latest), I plan to add an FV18 (paper cone, Rev2). In preparing to make this large purchase (I’m not one to casually spend almost $2,000...or perhaps I should say, my wife doesn't allow me to casually spend $2,000 with 3 college educations to fund!), I spent about 8 months reading through thousands of posts (2017 to present) on the Rythmik owners’ thread, educating myself on high-end subs, trying to determine the best subwoofer for my space.

In so doing, I encountered the same questions being asked repeatedly, and I thought I could do the forum’s frequent posters (who have taught me a lot) a favor by authoring a FAQ which answers some of these oft-asked questions. Moreover, I thought such a document would be useful to you, the potential customer. The AVS Rythmik Audio Subwoofer Thread already contains in excess of 40,000 posts!

Ultimately, however, if you have a question about a Rythmik product, your best bet is to contact @enricoclaudio (Enrico Castagnetti) and @Rythmik (Brian Ding), the wizards of Rythmik Audio, who are always very gracious with their time and knowledge. They can be PM’d here on AVS Forum, or via their website contact page.
I see you have Southeastern PA listed as your current location. If you're close to Gilbertsville and would like to demo Rythmiks sometime in the near future, I'd be more than happy to have you over. I currently only have one E15HP2 but plan to order two G28HP's shortly after they're release sometime this spring/early summer. I also noticed you have Chane speakers and this may equally interest you... I'm planning to get L7's and an L6 for my LCR's but no clue what I'm doing yet for rears and atmos. An electrician came by yesterday to give me a quote on moving outlets and running speaker wire through the ceiling. I hope to have this done by spring summer. I'm planning a 5.2.4 and have a lot more to learn before I get started. In fact, if anyone out there can throw me some tips on proactive things I could have an electrician do besides speaker wire and moving power outlets, feel free to chime in a let me know.
post #41369 of 41389 Old 01-18-2020, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJRT View Post
I see you have Southeastern PA listed as your current location. If you're close to Gilbertsville and would like to demo Rythmiks sometime in the near future, I'd be more than happy to have you over. I currently only have one E15HP2 but plan to order two G28HP's shortly after they're release sometime this spring/early summer. I also noticed you have Chane speakers and this may equally interest you... I'm planning to get L7's and an L6 for my LCR's but no clue what I'm doing yet for rears and atmos. An electrician came by yesterday to give me a quote on moving outlets and running speaker wire through the ceiling. I hope to have this done by spring summer. I'm planning a 5.2.4 and have a lot more to learn before I get started. In fact, if anyone out there can throw me some tips on proactive things I could have an electrician do besides speaker wire and moving power outlets, feel free to chime in a let me know.

Is there any info posted about G28HP ? How it is different than current model G25HP?
post #41370 of 41389 Old 01-18-2020, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Is there any info posted about G28HP ? How it is different than current model G25HP?
It has 18" woofers and isn't out yet, no specs have been further finalized to my knowledge. I believe it will use the same amp though.

Greg
BadJRT likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , integra dtc 9.8 , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page