Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 561 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13554Likes

post #16801 of 40443 Old 10-10-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
^^ what about the center? If you don't need to upgrade now, save more money and do it right once. RF82 is aight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16802 of 40443 Old 10-10-2014, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Deprave View Post
Your Exoticas are beautiful...being a Louisiana native, cypress holds a special place in my heart.
Thanks. It was a journey to find veneer. Thanks for the kind comments. They sound as good as they look.
post #16803 of 40443 Old 10-11-2014, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post
In addition to the tips from rcohen above, you could also give Rythmik's SubTuner tool a try (requires Java to run).
I have the latest Java installed and I tried multiple browsers but I keep getting security violations with this tool (blocked untrusted application). I disabled all the security checks I could find. Maybe it's something upstream in the firewall.

What does this tool do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16804 of 40443 Old 10-11-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3818 Post(s)
Liked: 4692
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_vogel View Post
I have the latest Java installed and I tried multiple browsers but I keep getting security violations with this tool (blocked untrusted application). I disabled all the security checks I could find. Maybe it's something upstream in the firewall.

What does this tool do?
Basically the Subtuner tells you the recommended crossover point and the phase you should set in the subwoofer based on the distance that your subwoofer is from listening position related to your front speakers. Here is how it looks and the results you get after running it:

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #16805 of 40443 Old 10-11-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What does this tool do?
I'm guessing you are using a Mac because I had the same problem. So to enable Java on Firefox or Safari do this:

You need to change the settings in your Java Control Panel:

1) click the apple logo in the top left hand corner of the computer screen, then click system preferences
2) Find and double click on the Java logo. The Java Control Panel should open. If it doesn't, click "Reopen the Java Control Panel"
3) In the Java Control Panel, click the "Security" tab.
4) Set the "Security Level" to "Medium"
5) Click Okay again and try to access your streaming quote applet.

Doing this every time you open a Java applet it will ask you if you want to run it.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #16806 of 40443 Old 10-12-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
But what I don't know is whether this vented "tight bass" mode would still beat a sealed version in terms of SPL. If that's the case I'll stick with vented. Maybe Rythmik will comment?
Yes, even 1 port mode FV15HP has more output than F15HP in sealed mode. The 14hz high damping in 1port mode is the closest that FV15HP can come to a sealed sub like F15HP.
post #16807 of 40443 Old 10-13-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Basically the Subtuner tells you the recommended crossover point and the phase you should set in the subwoofer based on the distance that your subwoofer is from listening position related to your front speakers.
I think I was already doing this using REW... I measured the phase of the mains and sub independently and then adjusted the AVR sub distance until the phase at the crossover point was identical for both mains and sub.
post #16808 of 40443 Old 10-13-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post
Yes, even 1 port mode FV15HP has more output than F15HP in sealed mode. The 14hz high damping in 1port mode is the closest that FV15HP can come to a sealed sub like F15HP.
Thanks - that was the info I needed.

I'm happy with FV15HP sound quality in 1port/14hz/high mode. I'm working on a 65Hz null with sub placement and room treatments first. I might go with a second sub if I can't get this worked out.
post #16809 of 40443 Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 AM

Another question for the Rythmik experts:

I'm having trouble getting the sub integrated for both 2-chan and HT LFE. My Marantz AVR only has one trim for the sub level and it affects both LFE and L+R low pass mix when I'm using the AVR bass management.

I've got 2-channel stereo integrated and it sounds great! However, my LFE is too low during movies. If I crank up the sub gain or AVR sub trim it screws up the 2-chan curve. My only AVR LFE-specific option is (0db, -10db, or OFF). I imagine better processors would be more flexible? Is there something I'm missing?

Anyway I bought the XLR3 version of the sub and I'm thinking about using dual inputs. In the AVR I would set mains+center to LARGE so AVR sub out is LFE only. I'd then run L+R to the sub as well as a third LFE cable. I'd use the sub's PEQ and phase control to integrate 2-chan. Then I could use the AVR sub level trim to get the correct LFE level without affecting 2-chan.

Downsides I see of this setup are 1) the mains are forced to struggle with low frequencies, 2) center low freq is dropped unless I run without a center altogether 3) is "boosting" LFE in the AVR harmful? 4) I could phase align the sub but could never time align it because there would always be the latency of (sub's DSP + sub's phase delay) which isn't in the L+R path. I'm no audio expert so maybe this isn't a big deal.

But on the plus side it looks like using dual mode would enable me to hold off on a processor purchase and get correct levels in 2-chan and HT LFE.

Thoughts?
post #16810 of 40443 Old 10-14-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm having trouble getting the sub integrated for both 2-chan and HT LFE. My Marantz AVR only has one trim for the sub level and it affects both LFE and L+R low pass mix when I'm using the AVR bass management.

I've got 2-channel stereo integrated and it sounds great! However, my LFE is too low during movies. If I crank up the sub gain or AVR sub trim it screws up the 2-chan curve. My only AVR LFE-specific option is (0db, -10db, or OFF). I imagine better processors would be more flexible? Is there something I'm missing?

Anyway I bought the XLR3 version of the sub and I'm thinking about using dual inputs. In the AVR I would set mains+center to LARGE so AVR sub out is LFE only. I'd then run L+R to the sub as well as a third LFE cable. I'd use the sub's PEQ and phase control to integrate 2-chan. Then I could use the AVR sub level trim to get the correct LFE level without affecting 2-chan.

Downsides I see of this setup are 1) the mains are forced to struggle with low frequencies, 2) center low freq is dropped unless I run without a center altogether 3) is "boosting" LFE in the AVR harmful? 4) I could phase align the sub but could never time align it because there would always be the latency of (sub's DSP + sub's phase delay) which isn't in the L+R path. I'm no audio expert so maybe this isn't a big deal.

But on the plus side it looks like using dual mode would enable me to hold off on a processor purchase and get correct levels in 2-chan and HT LFE.

Thoughts?

What kind of integrated amp you have?

post #16811 of 40443 Old 10-14-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
What kind of integrated amp you have?
Marantz SR8001

It's due for an upgrade but I'm trying to hold out for HDMI 2.0
post #16812 of 40443 Old 10-14-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Marantz SR8001

Most Marantz AVR units have pre-outs for the front left and right channels. You can connect them to the L+R of the integrated amp which are connected to your speakers. This way you can enable the common bass management features of the Marantz AVR (model number?). When playing tunes, select stereo and the Marantz AVR will send the right signals to integrated amp via the pre-outs and the bass to the sub. You can then adjust the bass on the Marantz AVR to taste.

The LFE of the Marantz AVR is connected to the Rythmik sub.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #16813 of 40443 Old 10-15-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
When playing tunes, select stereo and the Marantz AVR will send the right signals to integrated amp via the pre-outs and the bass to the sub. You can then adjust the bass on the Marantz AVR to taste.

The LFE of the Marantz AVR is connected to the Rythmik sub.
You just mentioned two things 1) AVR sends L+R bass to the sub and 2) AVR sends LFE to the sub.

My issue is that my AVR (Marantz SR8001) does not allow me to adjust those two functions independently. All I have is a single sub level control. When music is smoothly integrated and tight the LFE is weak. When LFE hits hard music then sounds like a bad car stereo install.

In other news I think I need another FV15HP... music is fine but LFE can't pressurize open floorplan 3500 cuft like I would like. At least not when set up for 1port/14hz/high. I haven't tried optimizing for SPL but I don't want to give up tight bass mode.
post #16814 of 40443 Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
You just mentioned two things 1) AVR sends L+R bass to the sub and 2) AVR sends LFE to the sub.

My issue is that my AVR (Marantz SR8001) does not allow me to adjust those two functions independently. All I have is a single sub level control. When music is smoothly integrated and tight the LFE is weak. When LFE hits hard music then sounds like a bad car stereo install.

In other news I think I need another FV15HP... music is fine but LFE can't pressurize open floorplan 3500 cuft like I would like. At least not when set up for 1port/14hz/high. I haven't tried optimizing for SPL but I don't want to give up tight bass mode.
Hi jon,

I kind of mis-understood your setup, sorry about that. So you've only got the Marantz SR8001 and these are connected to your speakers + sub - nothing else, correct?

Starting on page 27 of the Marantz SR8001 owner's manual, there is a flowchart for the Audyssey MultiEQ calibration. Run the AUTO setup to get your levels and distances correct for all your speakers + sub using all 6 positions.

What does the receiver report when you look at the check result?

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #16815 of 40443 Old 10-15-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
I've only managed to get great results in large or open spaces with a single near-field sub or multiple subs.
post #16816 of 40443 Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:

Thoughts?

I have the same problem with my Marantz SR8500. I ended upcaring more about 2 channel and ran my mains full range with the sub gettingthe same full range and using the sub X-over at 35hz. LFE is still connectedand is set at +9db's but with the sub set at 35hz I'm missing (I think) 120Hzto 35Hz in the LFE. I do have my bass set to BOTH so I believe the LFE isplayed in the Main and LFE. This does not really help you since I'm not evenusing a Rythmik sub but you need to pick what is more important to you. Musicor movies.
post #16817 of 40443 Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Marantz SR8001

Good luck, they do not make receivers like that anymore, justPreamps with that Power supply and Copper Chassis.
post #16818 of 40443 Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
I have the same problem with my Marantz SR8500. I ended upcaring more about 2 channel and ran my mains full range with the sub gettingthe same full range and using the sub X-over at 35hz. LFE is still connectedand is set at +9db's but with the sub set at 35hz I'm missing (I think) 120Hzto 35Hz in the LFE. I do have my bass set to BOTH so I believe the LFE isplayed in the Main and LFE. This does not really help you since I'm not evenusing a Rythmik sub but you need to pick what is more important to you. Musicor movies.
The beauty of the Rythmik dual-input sub amp is that you can feed L+R full range into one input and apply the sub crossover to that. There is a second LFE input that does not get filtered by the crossover, so in your setup you would still get 35-120Hz
LFE.

Anyway, I talked to Rythmik and they brought up another option - a 2-chan preamp with HT pass-through of mains+sub. So when the stereo preamp is off the AVR appears to have full control and can set levels appropriate for HT. When the preamp is on it takes over mains+sub and settings are optimized for stereo. Obviously you can't use the receiver's power amps for L+R in this case.

I'll trade that off vs just spending money on a different processor. A quick glance at the Emotiva UMC-200 shows they have sub level trim plus separate LFE trims for each input format type.
post #16819 of 40443 Old 10-15-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Good luck, they do not make receivers like that anymore, justPreamps with that Power supply and Copper Chassis.
Just curious... I haven't kept up with AVRs... was there something about the SR8001 that was good (DAC or analog section maybe)?
post #16820 of 40443 Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just curious... I haven't kept up with AVRs... was there something about the SR8001 that was good (DAC or analog section maybe)?
Marantz just dropped the top model SR8xxx and SR9xxx models because people do not spend big $$$ on AVR's that they want you to replace every year or two.

Power supply and Copper plating is really the only thing specail about the old flagships.
post #16821 of 40443 Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The beauty of the Rythmik dual-input sub amp is that you can feed L+R full range into one input and apply the sub crossover to that. There is a second LFE input that does not get filtered by the crossover, so in your setup you would still get 35-120Hz
LFE.
I wish my Paradigm Servo 15 did this.

Last edited by Blacklightning; 10-15-2014 at 02:12 PM.
post #16822 of 40443 Old 10-18-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Balanced XLR? What is that? Does that mean I hook one sub to the other and I don't have to worry about level matching ?

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
post #16823 of 40443 Old 10-18-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked: 3351
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

No.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #16824 of 40443 Old 10-18-2014, 06:33 PM

Also any news? wasnt Rythmik looking at releasing a more powerful amp 900 or 1000 watts?

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
post #16825 of 40443 Old 10-19-2014, 02:33 PM

Phase control is done in the AVR when measuring the distance from sub to seat.. Right? No need to do anything on the subs phase control? I've lost the bass to the chest feel and trying to see if I can get it back with trying other locations, might have to buy another sub or if Rythmik releases the new more powerful amp

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
post #16826 of 40443 Old 10-19-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked: 3351
Yes, the AVR should adjust the delay for you.
JustABrah likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #16827 of 40443 Old 10-19-2014, 07:02 PM

So I got the bass MUCH better, at first I had it near side but there was a big dip in the mid bass so I put it up front against the wall thinking the wall is the best spot, it was lacking and starts to roll off at 50, I put it on the other side where it's not against the wall and now have it pretty flat to nearly a 100 and much improved.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
post #16828 of 40443 Old 10-19-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
^^ have graphs to share?
post #16829 of 40443 Old 10-19-2014, 10:44 PM

How do you screen shot on a PC? It's from ARC

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
post #16830 of 40443 Old 10-20-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
What do you guys think about the Ascend CMT-340 SE? Do you think they would be a worthy upgrade over my Infinity's or not worth it? I see a lot of reviews that compare these to speakers that cost $2000 and up and they preferred the Ascend's that only go for about $600 a pair.
If your heart is set on small speakers i think the Ascend will be hard to beat. However, if you can accommodate a larger speaker, I would take a hard look at the high efficiency speakers being made by both PSA and Reaction Audio. Likely much better quality components than most Klipsch at a fraction of the cost since you are cutting out all retail markup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , integra dtc 9.8 , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page