Expectations for High End Sub? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
May I ask what the problem with the unit was? The only potential problem I see is with the disconnected IC pin, but even then that could be nothing. Soldering lumps are not a big deal if they aren't anywhere near something they could short out, or if they are not hanging off the board. I can't believe they would ever fall off from the unit's vibrations. The power shunt is a non-issue, in my experience with electronics I have often needed pliers to pull those things out, so I really don't think the sub could rattle those loose. And those pics are obviously of a ULS amp, anyone could see that from comparing the ULS rear panel with the placement of the XLR input jacks in your pics.

I think you are jumping to conclusions on QC issues, and as a ULS owner I can attest to it's high quality. If anything could have rattled loose internally, believe me, as hard as I push these things that would have happened to my units by now. These things are rock solid. I don't think your complaints against the ULS amp are as serious as you make them out to be, and they are not indicative of a low quality amp build like you claim. Maybe the soldering could be cleaner, but it doesn't make a functional difference, only an aesthetic one, and since the back panel isn't made of glass, it hardly matters. Hopefully your post won't discourage anyone who considering a ULS from buying one but it probably will, which is a shame. There is no sub doing what it does better at it's price point, and especially it's current sale price.
post #33 of 38 Old 10-21-2010, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post

Hi guys,

I really don't know what else to say other than that we always stand by our products, and we always stand by our customers too and appreciate their feedback. We will be sending out replacement amplifiers checked by our chief technician, with some slight soldering modifications per customer request. Note that in the many years of selling this amplifier, we have not had even one single failure due to that particular IC, nor due to the soldering balls, nor due to a power lead getting loose and blowing the amp. In fact, this is the first complaint we have ever received about these items. I don't mean to imply that there is no issue here, and we always feed back to our suppliers to improve things, but just want to put things into perspective. With respect to the ULS-15, we take great pains during assembly here in SoCal to make sure that the moving parts are working well and that the performance is as good as can be when the unit is shipped out. No matter what, we will try our best to satisfy our customers.

Sincerely,

You seem like a real stand up guy.
Thanks for participating on the forum.

Regards,
Charlie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Did people notice that the amp in the ULS-15 is a BASH amp? I thought BASH was a very good plate amp, and widely used. Maybe not as good as the ICE amps, and quite possibly not as good as the new SLEDGE amps SVS is now using in some models.

Most people appreciate good craftsmanship, both external and internal. But, other than the v2 and v3 amps for the MFW-15, I haven't heard of a rash of amp failures in any of the brands that are popular on this Forum.

A huge amount of electronics have parts that originate in Asia. Many pricey eletronics are assembled in Mexico. It is up to the parent company to assure quality control. Companies that want to stay in business for a long time will have a strategic plan to assure on-going quality.

And while I can appreciate beautiful PCBs with expensive individual components, like you see in some high end electronics, the price for those components and the care taken in assembling them in a very tidy fashion is high.

If we are essentially talking about a beauty contest, I will not complain about products the quality of BASH rather than spend hundreds more for a beautiful PCB.

We are not talking about the lack of QC shown endless times with the MFW-15, whose amp cost about $50 to AV123.
post #35 of 38 Old 10-22-2010, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

How many of us take our gear apart unless we're looking for something?

Some of us are just curious and it's a good way to learn. As long as you can manage to get it all back together again.

Quote:

Quality is in the details.

Damn straight.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein
post #36 of 38 Old 10-22-2010, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post

Hi guys,

I really don't know what else to say other than that we always stand by our products, and we always stand by our customers too and appreciate their feedback. We will be sending out replacement amplifiers checked by our chief technician, with some slight soldering modifications per customer request. Note that in the many years of selling this amplifier, we have not had even one single failure due to that particular IC, nor due to the soldering balls, nor due to a power lead getting loose and blowing the amp. In fact, this is the first complaint we have ever received about these items. I don't mean to imply that there is no issue here, and we always feed back to our suppliers to improve things, but just want to put things into perspective. With respect to the ULS-15, we take great pains during assembly here in SoCal to make sure that the moving parts are working well and that the performance is as good as can be when the unit is shipped out. No matter what, we will try our best to satisfy our customers.

Sincerely,

Guys...I have to say that I am VERY impressed with HSU owning up to this publicly and identifying themselves (since the OP was too much of a pussy to do it himself). I also think that they are definitely doing the right thing to take care of this issue. Custom work on the amp as per the OP's request? well that's going way beyond anything I would have expected...but good for them.

I have owned an HSU VTF3 MKII and I have always said it was one of the best 12" subs I have ever heard. Great product, great company. They even helped me out with questions although I bought it used. Outstanding.
post #37 of 38 Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu

Hi guys,

Sincerely,

Guys...I have to say that I am VERY impressed with HSU owning up to this publicly and identifying themselves (since the OP was too much of a pussy to do it himself). I also think that they are definitely doing the right thing to take care of this issue. Custom work on the amp as per the OP's request? well that's going way beyond anything I would have expected...but good for them.

I have owned an HSU VTF3 MKII and I have always said it was one of the best 12" subs I have ever heard. Great product, great company. They even helped me out with questions although I bought it used. Outstanding.

Thought I'd come back after a long long time to address the above genius that called me a pussy LOL!

I'm down to one HSU, the amp failed as I suspected due to not being made well as I stated. Sure they wanted money to fix so I refused and now have a great target box in my yard to shoot at LMAO!

My Velodyne that is 4000 years old still works great
post #38 of 38 Old 11-25-2017, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm so confused. Or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page