Official Chase Home Theater Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 882 Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post
Was this an 18.2 or 18.1? I thought one of the strengths of the opposed configuration was that the forces cancel out so the enclosure is inert. Thus the construction can be lighter.
Cancelling forces is one of the strengths and why I thought without I might run into trouble. I asked Craig about this and was assured I'd be fine. Not sure about any difference in weight although it would have to be minute. Whether dual opposed or separate they both have the same drivers and same external dimensions. They are 4 separate CS18s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 882 Old 03-13-2011, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Cancelling forces is one of the strengths and why I thought without I might run into trouble. I asked Craig about this and was assured I'd be fine. Not sure about any difference in weight although it would have to be minute. Whether dual opposed or separate they both have the same drivers and same external dimensions. They are 4 separate CS18s.
I'm not sure if the relevant forces that get cancelled is really that big a deal - it's only the movement of the voice-coil, the cone and the acceleration of the air mass that creates a reactive force that "pushes" on the cabinet. When you have a 90-100 lb subwoofer, I really don't think this is a big issue. The pressure fluctuations in the cabinet due to the cone movement is what is more important for a strong cabinet to contain. From that perspective, the dual opposed design should be pretty similar to the single woofer design in terms of a pressure peak in the cabinet, at the same SPL.
post #33 of 882 Old 03-14-2011, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post
Really? Are you having issues also? Maybe one of their servers crashed, I don't know. I really would like to see the rest of Bossos graphs, however, it looked like the CHT sub may have had an unusually high F3 in comparison. Hopefully we can get the info posted here, being that it's not available over there anymore? If those graphs are posted here can someone provide a link? Thanks!
Have you LOOKED at the owner close mics? How is that a abnormally high F3 for the design?

Also, if you guys want to have the discussion you were in the close mic thread on CHT, why not just start another in the subwoofer subforum or other audio forum .....I'd like to see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 882 Old 03-14-2011, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
subscribed

please guys: if you want to discuss another site: discuss it over there: other wise you will be asked to leave the thread

and if you come here to derail/ disrupt the thread you will be asked to leave AVS

Thanks

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #35 of 882 Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
Got my SS-18.T Duo subs+amp today. Set 'em up in a temporary location and did only the most basic of tweaking (adjusted levels using SPL meter, ran a DVE sweep, mildly boosted the EQ on the sub amp to address a null at ~40Hz).

Played FotP and, OMFG, does this set-up kick @ss!! Nothing's broken in yet and I barely tickled the amp...but it's clear that this set-up has tons of capability on tap!

So far, I like the look of the cabinets and I am very impressed with the performance. And I'm also quite satisfied with the entire experience with CHT to date.

(All that, and not a single graph! Sweet. )
LL
LL
post #36 of 882 Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Congrats eljay! The setup and subs fit really well integrated into your system. I hope you find that front and center you find as your sweet spot like I did; unless you don't have the luxury of being able to move them around.

Hope to see some graphs later when you can get a nice flat line....!
post #37 of 882 Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Very nice Elay!!! Hope you enjoy them for a good long time.
post #38 of 882 Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Congrats!!

Those SS18.1's look great with your equipment. Husker is right, the subs look really good in those positions and give your setup a nice symmetrical look.

post #39 of 882 Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, guys. I like symmetry, so having the subs up front like that makes me happy.

And, as it turns out, those positions:
- are convenient in terms of connectivity (no need to run wires all over the room);
- are pretty optimal for bass in my room; and
- have similar FR characteristics (based on some testing F1Nels and I did with his Omnimic a month or so ago), so both subs should perform comparably (with or without EQ-ing).

I'll be moving them into proper position (a little closer to the mains than to the center) tonight. I'll post some more pics once everything's set up properly.
post #40 of 882 Old 03-23-2011, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Got my SS-18.T Duo subs+amp today. Set 'em up in a temporary location and did only the most basic of tweaking (adjusted levels using SPL meter, ran a DVE sweep, mildly boosted the EQ on the sub amp to address a null at ~40Hz).

Played FotP and, OMFG, does this set-up kick @ss!! Nothing's broken in yet and I barely tickled the amp...but it's clear that this set-up has tons of capability on tap!

So far, I like the look of the cabinets and I am very impressed with the performance. And I'm also quite satisfied with the entire experience with CHT to date.

(All that, and not a single graph! Sweet. )

Am I wrong here or did they change to some square feet instead of the round ones? looks better for sure.
post #41 of 882 Old 03-23-2011, 08:08 AM

Lookin' good! I look forward to comin' up and hearing them in your setup. Of course I'll bring the Omnimic and we'll do some tweakin'. Hopefully we can maintain your symmetry.
post #42 of 882 Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Am I wrong here or did they change to some square feet instead of the round ones? looks better for sure.

Nope, you're not wrong, those are the new cabinets.
post #43 of 882 Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nels View Post

Lookin' good! I look forward to comin' up and hearing them in your setup. Of course I'll bring the Omnimic and we'll do some tweakin'. Hopefully we can maintain your symmetry.

Thanks, man! Any time you can make it up to Ottawa would be great (hopefully sooner than later) and, yes, we'll definitely have to work on maintaining the symmetry...
post #44 of 882 Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nels View Post

Nope, you're not wrong, those are the new cabinets.

+1. The "feet" are "vees" formed at the four corners by cut-outs in the side panels of the subs. The "vees" are then filled in with blocks to make the "feet" more substantial and solid.

(You can see a pic of the underside of the new cabinets on the product page for these subs on CHT's website.)

In person, the new cabinets look pretty slick. I really like the new design.
post #45 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:

+1. The "feet" are "vees" formed at the four corners by cut-outs in the side panels of the subs. The "vees" are then filled in with blocks to make the "feet" more substantial and solid.

(You can see a pic of the underside of the new cabinets on the product page for these subs on CHT's website.)

Could you post some close up pictures of the fit and finish? I'd like to see it a little better to see how things have changed if at all. I have been told that the pictures of your subs showed there were still issues with the finish and the amp was banged up as well? just curious.
post #46 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The cabinets had some scuffing marks - possibly acquired during shipping. Doesn't bother me, but Craig it taking it up with this OEM. Other than that, the finish looks great.

The amp wasn't banged up, but the paint on the top panel has some weird blotchiness on it. Doesn't really bother me, and it's probably just a weird production fluke.

A few close-up pics are available in my thread on "the other site".

And you can click on my signature, below, to see how it all comes together nicely in my HT set-up.
post #47 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

And you can click on my signature, below, to see how it all comes together nicely in my HT set-up.

You have a great room, Eljay. I really like the SS cabinets, those subs look like they mean business.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein
post #48 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

You have a great room, Eljay. ... those subs look like they mean business.

Thanks, tesseract67!

The subs aren't broken in yet, and I haven't really pushed them very hard or for very long either, but I'm already impressed with their performance...and with their untapped potential!
post #49 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked: 2349
Quote:

Thanks, tesseract67!

The subs aren't broken in yet, and I haven't really pushed them very hard or for very long either, but I'm already impressed with their performance...and with their untapped potential!

BTW, I never liked what Audyssey did for my sub performance. The new stuff might be better but once you have a flat graph it does not matter.

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
post #50 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, tesseract67!

Mine just started to open up, I have about 30-40 hours on them, I am guessing.

I hit 'em with movies and hard driving music. I took it easy with the test tones and measurements at 75db baseline, though, for the most part. Sometimes it is fun to crank up a 31.5hz tone for a bit, but you want to be careful!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein
post #51 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

BTW, I never liked what Audyssey did for my sub performance. The new stuff might be better but once you have a flat graph it does not matter.

Auto EQ seems like a pain sometimes. As I am a two channel guy with a simple integrated amp, I just use an SPL meter and tones. Works great for now, although my room could benefit from an SMS-1 or some similar hands on, manual EQ solution.

post #52 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:

The cabinets had some scuffing marks - possibly acquired during shipping. Doesn't bother me, but Craig it taking it up with this OEM. Other than that, the finish looks great.

The amp wasn't banged up, but the paint on the top panel has some weird blotchiness on it. Doesn't really bother me, and it's probably just a weird production fluke.

A few close-up pics are available in my thread on "the other site".

That's a beautiful room you have. I'm not a member at that "other" site...no real interest in being part of it honestly. Post the pictures here if you can please?
post #53 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That's a beautiful room you have.

Thanks!

Quote:

I'm not a member at that "other" site...no real interest in being part of it honestly. Post the pictures here if you can please?

You actually don't need to be a member to view a member's pics/albums. I'd post a link here, but I believe links to other forum sites are verboten, so if you go to the User Review Forum on "the other site" you can either:
- click on eljay's SS-18.T Duo and find the link to the pics in there; or
- click on my username to pull up my profile and albums.
post #54 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

I'm not a member at that "other" site...no real interest in being part of it honestly.

So you mean that JinxCanada isn't you? The member name is registered to Michael Duxter.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #55 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I'm not sure how much effect Audyssey had on my old sub or on these new subs. I like it mainly for the ease of setting all the speaker parms and for how it EQs the sound in my room relative to my primary seating area.

When F1Nels makes it to town with his Omnimic, I'll post copies of the graphs we pull, both w/o and w/ Audyssey EQ-ing applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

Mine just started to open up, I have about 30-40 hours on them, I am guessing.

I hit 'em with movies and hard driving music.

I'm hoping to have time this weekend to give the subs a workout with a movie and a flurry of songs. I remember my PB12-NSD sounding noticeably different (and better) after a few hours of pounding, and I'm expecting the same from these babies.
post #56 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
So you mean that JinxCanada isn't you? The member name is registered to Michael Duxter.
oh. hmm. maybe i am. i was banned or so i thought. i'll have a look.
post #57 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

What are the bottom of these feet finished with? Are they just wood, or do they have spikes, rubber sticky pads, screw-on rubber feet, etc.? I second the request for close up pics, this new finish has been anticipated for months now, how about a look?
post #58 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how much effect Audyssey had on my old sub or on these new subs. I like it mainly for the ease of setting all the speaker parms and for how it EQs the sound in my room relative to my primary seating area.

When F1Nels makes it to town with his Omnimic, I'll post copies of the graphs we pull, both w/o and w/ Audyssey EQ-ing applied.

I'm hoping to have time this weekend to give the subs a workout with a movie and a flurry of songs. I remember my PB12-NSD sounding noticeably different (and better) after a few hours of pounding, and I'm expecting the same from these babies.
Oh man, I just upended my room. I was getting really good response out of the subs, but my mains were diffracting off the top of the subs, got tired of that. So I moved the subs to the outside corners, faced them towards the side walls and brought the mains forward.

I haven't moved the mains in years, so now I have a whole new sound.

It is going to take awhile to get everything settled to get my "sound" back. So it begins, again..... nooooooooo.....

post #59 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What are the bottom of these feet finished with?
They're wood, sanded and painted/finished. I put some felt pads on the feet and stood the subs upright. This is one of the only two pics I have, taken when I was unboxing the subs. (The other one looks pretty much the same.)
LL
post #60 of 882 Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67
So it begins, again..... nooooooooo.....
The way I understand it, it never actually stops in the first place...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page