List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less) - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 540Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3001 of 3023 Old 11-04-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Dimensions are 13.4 feet length x 12.69 feet width without inckuding the area behind the AT screen. Any recommendations? Also how is Klipsch r112-sw?
Assuming that's totally enclosed space - and your ceiling height is the fairly typical 9' - you have 1531 FT^3 of cubic volume, not terribly large. That's good because you can focus more on quality instead of quantity.

I've never heard that particular Klipsch model but the company is not known for their subwoofer design prowess. Couple that with the price and it's likely not going to pair well with your speakers as it's targeted for those with a different type of setup than what you have. If your new budget is $400 than the RSL 10S mentioned is a very good option. It has nice sound quality and in a small room such as yours it will likely be able to play pretty loud as well.
Ceiling height is 7.5 feet. Would the same recommendation hold given the space behind my AT screen as well?
genaccmiller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3002 of 3023 Old 11-05-2019, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 8,282
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Ceiling height is 7.5 feet. Would the same recommendation hold given the space behind my AT screen as well?
Yes. When you recalculate cubic volume using 7.5' of ceiling height the total is now 1,276 ft^3, well within the range for an RSL 10S.

 
If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
JimWilson is offline  
post #3003 of 3023 Old 11-21-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 1,781
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 447
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714R12...mnews=13384559


Klipsch R-120SW 249.00
JimWilson likes this.

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3004 of 3023 Old 11-23-2019, 01:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
The Pioneer SWE-10 is on sale for $199 at newegg, and the Klipsch sp 100 and sp 120 are on sale everywhere for $199 and $249.

Between the 3 of those, I'm thinking the Pioneer might be the best buy, seeing as it's 300W RMS, sealed and was $600 when new. But the Klipsch for sp120 $249 seems pretty good as well. Anyone with these subs have any input? Thanks!
VegetarianEater is offline  
post #3005 of 3023 Old 11-23-2019, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 8,282
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegetarianEater View Post
The Pioneer SWE-10 is on sale for $199 at newegg, and the Klipsch sp 100 and sp 120 are on sale everywhere for $199 and $249.

Between the 3 of those, I'm thinking the Pioneer might be the best buy, seeing as it's 300W RMS, sealed and was $600 when new. But the Klipsch for sp120 $249 seems pretty good as well. Anyone with these subs have any input? Thanks!
Without knowing what you want to use it for (HT, music, both), how large your room is, preferences and what type of budget you have it's tough to answer. Check out post 1 in this thread for the type of info you will most likely be asked.

Don't get hung up on wattage as you can't really derive much about performance by taking that one specification in isolation. There are other factors to consider, all of which combine to determine what a subwoofer can or can't do.

 
If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
JimWilson is offline  
post #3006 of 3023 Old 11-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Without knowing what you want to use it for (HT, music, both), how large your room is, preferences and what type of budget you have it's tough to answer. Check out post 1 in this thread for the type of info you will most likely be asked.

Don't get hung up on wattage as you can't really derive much about performance by taking that one specification in isolation. There are other factors to consider, all of which combine to determine what a subwoofer can or can't do.
Would be using it for a mix of movies/music, though mainly movies. I do like a tighter bass for music, which is why the sealed 10" might suit my needs better. I currently am using a little 8" monoprice subwoofer (that came with the energy take knockoff system), but my mains are Klipsch KF-28, with pioneer FS51s as rear L/R right now. And yes, they do actually produce more bass than my subwoofer (subwoofer can get louder at low volumes if i turn the gain up, but then at reference level the subwoofer is easily overpowered).
VegetarianEater is offline  
post #3007 of 3023 Old 11-25-2019, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 8,282
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegetarianEater View Post
Would be using it for a mix of movies/music, though mainly movies. I do like a tighter bass for music, which is why the sealed 10" might suit my needs better. I currently am using a little 8" monoprice subwoofer (that came with the energy take knockoff system), but my mains are Klipsch KF-28, with pioneer FS51s as rear L/R right now. And yes, they do actually produce more bass than my subwoofer (subwoofer can get louder at low volumes if i turn the gain up, but then at reference level the subwoofer is easily overpowered).
There's still key information missing - most notably room size and budget - but I can provide some generic advice based upon what you have supplied...

Your mains will probably be strong to the upper 30's which means to gain significant benefits - in quality and performance - you'll need to spend more than $300 and get a driver larger than 10". That last part becomes particularly important if you go sealed as their natural rolloff typically means they have less output than a comparable ported sub. For music it likely won't be as critical but for movies it certainly will be.

 
If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
JimWilson is offline  
post #3008 of 3023 Old 11-25-2019, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
There's still key information missing - most notably room size and budget - but I can provide some generic advice based upon what you have supplied...

Your mains will probably be strong to the upper 30's which means to gain significant benefits - in quality and performance - you'll need to spend more than $300 and get a driver larger than 10". That last part becomes particularly important if you go sealed as their natural rolloff typically means they have less output than a comparable ported sub. For music it likely won't be as critical but for movies it certainly will be.

That's what i get for waking up in the middle of the night and posting. I got the model wrong on the klipsch subs i mentioned as well, the r-120sw is the model im looking at. My budget is probably (12 month financing makes me a little more flexible) $400 max, though the idea of spending half that for a sub sounded good to me. My living room is fairly small (about 15x10, height is normal height, 8 ft i guess) though it does open into a kitchen. Now I realize with the size of my mains i need a substantial... sub, i don't necessarily need something for reference volume listening. Having said that, since it's black friday svs just re-released the SB-12 NSD, which might be the best choice for me... not sure i could swing the PB-12 NSD
VegetarianEater is offline  
post #3009 of 3023 Old 11-26-2019, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 8,282
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegetarianEater View Post
That's what i get for waking up in the middle of the night and posting. I got the model wrong on the klipsch subs i mentioned as well, the r-120sw is the model im looking at. My budget is probably (12 month financing makes me a little more flexible) $400 max, though the idea of spending half that for a sub sounded good to me. My living room is fairly small (about 15x10, height is normal height, 8 ft i guess) though it does open into a kitchen. Now I realize with the size of my mains i need a substantial... sub, i don't necessarily need something for reference volume listening. Having said that, since it's black friday svs just re-released the SB-12 NSD, which might be the best choice for me... not sure i could swing the PB-12 NSD
The SB-12 would be a far better option than the Klipsch would be so if that falls within budget it should get strong consideration.
Dom Di Stroia likes this.

 
If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
JimWilson is offline  
post #3010 of 3023 Old 11-27-2019, 05:10 PM
Newbie
 
killerfrenzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For my computer desk audio

Room: 12' x 10' x ~8'
Media: Movie, TV Shows and light music
Putting it near my desk, but not that much room available around it.



I'm hoping to catch a good deal for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.



Interested in so far:

Monoprice SSW-10 ($130) - I like the prospects of tucking it somewhere in my room



I'm not totally against something bigger, depending on the benefit/trade off in regards of usability and size.



JBL 550P ($200)
https://www.jbl.com/studio-5-series/SUB+550P.html


JBL SW10 ($200) - wireless also nice to be able to put the sub a little further away


Klipsch R-100SW ($200)


I guess really any of the Dayton offerings as well

Last edited by killerfrenzi; 11-27-2019 at 05:35 PM.
killerfrenzi is offline  
post #3011 of 3023 Old 11-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Newbie
 
Bilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Novice question on subwoofers

Hello all, looking for guidance on potentially purchasing a new subwoofer for my small room. My room is approx. 10 x 16 with 8' ceiling, so if I calculated correctly, that's slightly under 1300 cubic feet. I current have a BIC F12 and looking to upgrade if you think it is a weak point of my system. I was gifted a Boston Acoustics VS 325C and 2 VS 260's and have purchased 2 BA A26's along with 2 SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos. I have a Denon 2600H and my primary use is watching a few TV channels, and both streaming movies, and watching UHD Blu Ray movies. Pretty much a rookie at all this, and really have a limited budget left. Have been looking at the recommended subs in this thread, the BIC PL-200II, the RSL Speedwoofer 10S (although it's listed as 4 ohms not 8 if that makes a difference?), the Monolith THX 10e which looks huge, and the SVS SB12-NSD which is on sale for $400, and finally, and this pushes the budget to the limit, the PB12-NSD which is on sale for $500. Any and all suggested advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!
Bilder is offline  
post #3012 of 3023 Old 11-28-2019, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 8,282
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilder View Post
Have been looking at the recommended subs in this thread, the BIC PL-200II, the RSL Speedwoofer 10S (although it's listed as 4 ohms not 8 if that makes a difference?), the Monolith THX 10e which looks huge, and the SVS SB12-NSD which is on sale for $400, and finally, and this pushes the budget to the limit, the PB12-NSD which is on sale for $500. Any and all suggested advice is greatly appreciated!
Having an F12 means the PL-200 is close to a lateral move so I wouldn't recommend that. Since you have a ported sub now you may not like the more limited output of a sealed subwoofer so the SB12 might not be the best option either. The Monolith series are larger than the competition but that does have its advantages because they use physics for some of their capability instead of electronics. Natural response does have benefits. The PB12 is a classic design that SVS seems to bring out every year around this time. It is widely regarded for its value. The SpeedWoofer is another good option that many people have bought and enjoy, so that's another good choice.

 
If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
JimWilson is offline  
post #3013 of 3023 Old 11-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Dom Di Stroia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in and out of a vicious circle of logic
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilder View Post
Hello all, looking for guidance on potentially purchasing a new subwoofer for my small room. My room is approx. 10 x 16 with 8' ceiling, so if I calculated correctly, that's slightly under 1300 cubic feet. I current have a BIC F12 and looking to upgrade if you think it is a weak point of my system. I was gifted a Boston Acoustics VS 325C and 2 VS 260's and have purchased 2 BA A26's along with 2 SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos. I have a Denon 2600H and my primary use is watching a few TV channels, and both streaming movies, and watching UHD Blu Ray movies. Pretty much a rookie at all this, and really have a limited budget left. Have been looking at the recommended subs in this thread, the BIC PL-200II, the RSL Speedwoofer 10S (although it's listed as 4 ohms not 8 if that makes a difference?), the Monolith THX 10e which looks huge, and the SVS SB12-NSD which is on sale for $400, and finally, and this pushes the budget to the limit, the PB12-NSD which is on sale for $500. Any and all suggested advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Don't be afraid to use in-tandem the F12 with another sub.

A/VR: Sony STR-DE598; front: Polk Audio (1x RTi6 + 1x TSx220B)
rear: 2x Klipsch Reference R-15M
subs: 1x JBL PSW-1200 + 1x BIC RtR RtR-12S
monitor: LG 24EA53V-P (panel: LG Display AH-IPS)
display: Sony BRAVIA KDL-48W600B (panel: S-LCD S-PVA)

Last edited by Dom Di Stroia; 11-30-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Dom Di Stroia is offline  
post #3014 of 3023 Old 12-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey everyone! Just joined, but I've been reading for a week. Awesome and extremely helpful site. Many thanks to everyone. I appreciate the knowledge (and the occasional entertainment).

I've been thinking I should have a sub in my system...mainly for the LFE's during movies and to see if it'll enhance my music listening.

I'm using a Yamaha RX-v730 75w rms AVR and a pair of 3-way JBL L110s that are in good shape for the L/R mains, and a center spkr. At some point I'll probably add rear surrounds, but at this point it'll just be a 3.1 setup.

We watch movies and sports (football and NHL). No gaming. I'm a fan of rock-ish music, and the JBL L110's do a good job with that.

My listening/living room is carpeted over wood, about 20' x 20', has a cathedral ceiling, and it opens into a foyer and dining area. I want to place the sub in a 16" corner space next to my L main spkr.

There are so, so many subs in this budget range, and I can't possibly sort them all out. So I need some help steering me in the right direction.

I've considered the Polk HTS10, the Klipsch R100SW, and BIC America F12. But maybe I need none of these. I like good sounding music so I'd prefer a good, tight, quality sounding sub over a high output boomy one to go with my JBL's.

The sub output jack on my AVR is cut-off at 90 Hz, so the manual says.

Can anyone make any solid recommendations on what I should look at?

Thank you
jpinsc is offline  
post #3015 of 3023 Old 12-03-2019, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Dom Di Stroia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in and out of a vicious circle of logic
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinsc View Post
Hey everyone! Just joined, but I've been reading for a week. Awesome and extremely helpful site. Many thanks to everyone. I appreciate the knowledge (and the occasional entertainment).

I've been thinking I should have a sub in my system...mainly for the LFE's during movies and to see if it'll enhance my music listening.

I'm using a Yamaha RX-v730 75w rms AVR and a pair of 3-way JBL L110s that are in good shape for the L/R mains, and a center spkr. At some point I'll probably add rear surrounds, but at this point it'll just be a 3.1 setup.

We watch movies and sports (football and NHL). No gaming. I'm a fan of rock-ish music, and the JBL L110's do a good job with that.

My listening/living room is carpeted over wood, about 20' x 20', has a cathedral ceiling, and it opens into a foyer and dining area. I want to place the sub in a 16" corner space next to my L main spkr.

There are so, so many subs in this budget range, and I can't possibly sort them all out. So I need some help steering me in the right direction.

I've considered the Polk HTS10, the Klipsch R100SW, and BIC America F12. But maybe I need none of these. I like good sounding music so I'd prefer a good, tight, quality sounding sub over a high output boomy one to go with my JBL's.

The sub output jack on my AVR is cut-off at 90 Hz, so the manual says.

Can anyone make any solid recommendations on what I should look at?

Thank you
Considering you already have 2 high-performance 10" transducers, I wouldn't waste my time with a 10" budget sub.

Also: placing subs in the corners of rooms is not always conducive to uniform reproduction of music. A 20x20x8 (ft.) room features axial modes at Hz ~28, ~56, ~70 and ~84:

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l...t=true&r60=0.6

You can add the Dayton SUB-1200 and the BIC RtR RtR-EV1200 (analogous to the F12) to the comparison list:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--300-629

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

A/VR: Sony STR-DE598; front: Polk Audio (1x RTi6 + 1x TSx220B)
rear: 2x Klipsch Reference R-15M
subs: 1x JBL PSW-1200 + 1x BIC RtR RtR-12S
monitor: LG 24EA53V-P (panel: LG Display AH-IPS)
display: Sony BRAVIA KDL-48W600B (panel: S-LCD S-PVA)

Last edited by Dom Di Stroia; 12-03-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Dom Di Stroia is offline  
post #3016 of 3023 Old 12-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Di Stroia View Post
Considering you already have 2 high-performance 10" transducers, I wouldn't waste my time with a 10" budget sub.

That makes a ton of sense and I'm glad to hear it. It's something I've wondered about.
But I also wondered if I'm missing any meaningful LFE signals. I'm not talking about sounds that are complementary/supplementary to existing sounds; I'm talking about maybe subtle, but meaningful, totally independent sounds, that only transmit in the .1 channel that I would otherwise miss without a sub.
I can accept not having all the frequencies and volume of something that is already being presented to me through my mains and surrounds. But I wouldn't want to miss something meaningful just because it was only presented through the sub channel. I wouldn't think sound mixers would do that...just yet anyway. Not everyone uses a sub channel. But I suppose we might be heading that way with all the sci-fi that's out there.

Think I'll concentrate on other upgrades instead.

Thanks for your candor and help
jpinsc is offline  
post #3017 of 3023 Old 12-03-2019, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Dom Di Stroia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in and out of a vicious circle of logic
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinsc View Post
That makes a ton of sense and I'm glad to hear it. It's something I've wondered about.
But I also wondered if I'm missing any meaningful LFE signals. I'm not talking about sounds that are complementary/supplementary to existing sounds; I'm talking about maybe subtle, but meaningful, totally independent sounds, that only transmit in the .1 channel that I would otherwise miss without a sub.
I can accept not having all the frequencies and volume of something that is already being presented to me through my mains and surrounds. But I wouldn't want to miss something meaningful just because it was only presented through the sub channel. I wouldn't think sound mixers would do that...just yet anyway. Not everyone uses a sub channel. But I suppose we might be heading that way with all the sci-fi that's out there.

Think I'll concentrate on other upgrades instead.

Thanks for your candor and help

Don't misunderstand: without a subwoofer, you could be missing a full octave of audio content/material. The L110 is rated to ~40 Hz, and the signal could contain material <20 Hz. But a 10" budget sub will do little/nothing to resolve that issue. Instead, look for a 12" sub (or subs) that is rated to ~25 Hz.

A/VR: Sony STR-DE598; front: Polk Audio (1x RTi6 + 1x TSx220B)
rear: 2x Klipsch Reference R-15M
subs: 1x JBL PSW-1200 + 1x BIC RtR RtR-12S
monitor: LG 24EA53V-P (panel: LG Display AH-IPS)
display: Sony BRAVIA KDL-48W600B (panel: S-LCD S-PVA)

Last edited by Dom Di Stroia; 12-03-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Dom Di Stroia is offline  
post #3018 of 3023 Old 12-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Di Stroia View Post
Don't misunderstand: without a subwoofer, you could be missing a full octave of audio content/material. The L110 is rated to ~40 Hz, and the signal could contain material <20 Hz. But a 10" budget sub will do little/nothing to resolve that issue. Instead, look for a 12" sub (or subs) that is rated to ~25 Hz.
So then, would you say the BIC F12 meet that criteria of 12" and rated down to 25 Hz, and that it would deliver that missed "content/material", but it's not very good for music? I've been told it's kinda one-note-ish and boomy.

Last edited by jpinsc; 12-03-2019 at 07:17 PM. Reason: adding points
jpinsc is offline  
post #3019 of 3023 Old 12-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Dom Di Stroia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in and out of a vicious circle of logic
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinsc View Post
So then, would you say the BIC F12 meet that criteria of 12" and rated down to 25 Hz, and that it would deliver that missed "content/material", but it's not very good for music? I've been told it's kinda one-note-ish and boomy.

Judge for yourself (LPF applied at Hz 100):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kO...DbZcJbiQ=s2000

Source:

BIC V1220 and BIC F12 Omnimic Frequency Response Graphs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

A/VR: Sony STR-DE598; front: Polk Audio (1x RTi6 + 1x TSx220B)
rear: 2x Klipsch Reference R-15M
subs: 1x JBL PSW-1200 + 1x BIC RtR RtR-12S
monitor: LG 24EA53V-P (panel: LG Display AH-IPS)
display: Sony BRAVIA KDL-48W600B (panel: S-LCD S-PVA)
Dom Di Stroia is offline  
post #3020 of 3023 Old 12-04-2019, 04:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Di Stroia View Post
Judge for yourself (LPF applied at Hz 100):
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what your point is. Is your point good or bad?
Is LFP = local field potential? And is "LFP applied at 100 Hz" good or bad?
Does this explain the one-note-ish and boomy opinion, or is that opinion subjective?

I can't view the source thread graphs and I'm having trouble grasping the concept of what the discussion is.


Sorry to be so . . . unknowledgeable.
jpinsc is offline  
post #3021 of 3023 Old 12-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anywayz,

I'm re-evaluating my use and needs for our entertainment. We don't have a HT, and I don't need a killer sub. Yes we watch movies, but nothing extreme or loud, so at the very least I'd like to have a decent little sub for that... but more importantly to me, it should compliment my JBL L110's.

I have pulled the trigger on a BIC F12 AND on a Klipsch R-100SW, but I haven't picked them up yet. They were $200 each, but I'm reluctant that either of them are what I want...so they may stay at the store, and I'll keep researching. I want to pick the right sub for my speakers and listening habits.

Looking at the JBL SUB 550P for $190 and free shipping! 27Hz-150Hz, 300W RMS. Not feeling froggy though.

Last edited by jpinsc; 12-04-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: more info
jpinsc is offline  
post #3022 of 3023 Old 12-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinsc View Post
Anywayz,

I'm re-evaluating my use and needs for our entertainment. We don't have a HT, and I don't need a killer sub. Yes we watch movies, but nothing extreme or loud, so at the very least I'd like to have a decent little sub for that... but more importantly to me, it should compliment my JBL L110's.

I have pulled the trigger on a BIC F12 AND on a Klipsch R-100SW, but I haven't picked them up yet. They were $200 each, but I'm reluctant that either of them are what I want...so they may stay at the store, and I'll keep researching. I want to pick the right sub for my speakers and listening habits.

Looking at the JBL SUB 550P for $190 and free shipping! 27Hz-150Hz, 300W RMS. Not feeling froggy though.

I don't know anything about this sub, but I have seen others say it is a decent sub and that at this price it's a hell of a bargain.
Dave Ol is offline  
post #3023 of 3023 Old 12-05-2019, 05:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Jbl sub 550p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ol View Post
I don't know anything about this sub, but I have seen others say it is a decent sub and that at this price it's a hell of a bargain.
After thinking on it overnight and with a bunch more reading, I've decided to get one of these sealed babies now. If I ever thought there was a good sub to match my L110's for mainly music and the movies I watch, then this has got to be the best contender (for <$200). So I'll order one ($190) (and actually get it and try it, lol) unless anyone here should dissuade me. It should deliver good sound quality down to around 27 Hz with sufficient output, besting my L110's at around 40 Hz, and provide LFE content, and relieve my system of the sub duty. I'll check back later this thoughout the day for any comments and then I plan on ordering this afternoon.

Cheers!
jpinsc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Acoustic Audio , Acoustic Audio Psw 8 300 Watt 8 Audiophile Series Powered Subwoofer , Acoustic Audio Rwsub 8 300 Watt 8 Home Theater Series Powered Subwoofer , Aperion Audio , Bic America , Dayton Audio Sub 800 8 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Energy Esw C8 8 Inch Subwoofer Black , Energy Esw M8 Na 1200 Watt Subwoofer , Hsu Research , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt , Infinity Ps 12 Subwoofer , Jamo Sub210 8 Powered Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Kw 100 120v Subwoofer , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black , Klipsch Synergy Sub 10 Subwoofer Speaker , Martin Logan , Martinlogan Dynamo 300 Home Theater And Stereo Subwoofer , Polk Audio Psw110 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry , Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Polk Audio Tsi500 Black 3 1 Tower Speaker System Free Psw 110 , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Scosche Hdw12 Subwoofer 12 , Subwoofers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off