Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1198 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64682Likes

post #35911 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked: 3456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Pulse – Server Room

This is one of the ultimate tests!
Hey now: what about the chopper drop scene in Lone Survivor ?

That's intense

PSA S3000i and Crowson MA's.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 08-19-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35912 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Hey now: what about the chopper drop scene in Lone Survivor ?

That's intense

PSA S3000i and Crowson MA's.

https://youtu.be/K3bdI2qaBfI
I will look my demo disc to see if that one is included.
post #35913 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I have three of these in a room just like yours except my room is about 6' longer and they crush the room. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying your V18, I knew you would, enjoy my friend and get that second one and then report back............ I also have a concrete bunker we live in as well.
Cant imagine 3, it has to be an amazing experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35914 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Liked: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Pacheco Vasquez View Post
It literally is not good for my health, I'm getting older now and with all three blasting away I have to take an oxygen break once in a while, they take my breath away seriously!!!!:
post #35915 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked: 10324
Quote:
At reference -10 and the sub 8db hotter not a single port noise even during demo scenes:

-Inception – How did you get here
-Iron Man – Jericho Missile
-Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol – Kremlin Explosion
-Pulse – Server Room
-Transformers – Ironhide Jump
-Tron Legacy – Lightcycle Battle
-U-571 – 1st Depth Charge
-WotW – Pods Emerge

Right now the only distracting part is the blurry image when the sub rumble the room.
That pretty much echos every other V1801 customer testimonial since day one. Even calibrated WAY hot... nothing audible---even when you are specifically listening for it(per your earlier post). I know you had concerns about the poorly designed" narrative being pushed daily on AVS by a small handful Jonathan. I'm glad you decided to hear it for yourself and learn way so many rave about it..

$1399(delivered), just over 6 cu-ft external size, 5 year bumper to bumper, made in USA...blah, blah.

Show me a better sub given the above?

Oh wait, let's only compare it to subs much larger, costing much more, and looking much umm... less .I keep forgetting that is the only way to "even" the playing field against a Power Sound Audio product

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 08-19-2017 at 12:18 PM.
post #35916 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I kind of debunked that theory and assumption that the V1801 was a fart box when I posted compression sweeps and detailed listening impressions, I also did single sub measurements as well at extreme SPL levels with no audible chuffing (farting), every sub will have port noise so rest assured, you already confirmed that so again keep enjoying yours.

Cheers Jeffrey
post #35917 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Quote:
It literally is not good for my health, I'm getting older now and with all three blasting away I have to take an oxygen break once in a while, they take my breath away seriously!!!!:

This reminds me of when I had the original XS30 in my 2500ft^3 room. As I approached reference level on music, the pressurization would cause a literal panic/anxiety attack if my wife was in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahblaza and sk373 like this.
post #35918 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
This reminds me of when I had the original XS30 in my 2500ft^3 room. As I approached reference level on music, the pressurization would cause a literal panic/anxiety attack if my wife was in the room.

Thats funny because yesterday when I playing with the v1801 my wife also had to leave the room and then sent me a whatsup message saying good night.
ahblaza and sk373 like this.
post #35919 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Bear, my wife gets panic attacks and she's not in the same room, she can feel the pressure a floor above and then gets panicky for my health and I really frightened her the other day when she came running down and saw that I had my O2 on and smiling..............I don't know if you saw the other post about her asking me if I had hearing aid insurance with my health plan???? I said I can't hear you hon.........
SuperFist and bear123 like this.
post #35920 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked: 4972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
$1399(delivered), just over 6 cu-ft external size, 5 year bumper to bumper, made in USA...blah, blah.

Show me a better sub given the above?
It all depends on a user's criteria. While I chose the V1801 as better overall, others may choose the Seaton Sound MFW-15 Turbo. Similar dimensions, real wood veneer, superior DSP tuning (ability to push sub to the absolute limits without untoward noises), more deep bass output ≤25Hz (passing CEA-2010 as low as 12.5Hz), and lower price. Similar arguments can be made for the Rythmik FV15HP which should have even more deep bass output and lower distortion.
Quote:
Oh wait, let's only compare it to subs much larger, costing much more, and looking much umm... less .
Why do you continually feel the need to take little pot shots at your competitors and members you don't like?

Is the PSA V3601 vs the JTR Captivator 118HT a fair comparison? Hmmm
chucky7 and k1n3t1k like this.
post #35921 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
I wanted to ask the PSA expert owners here about something. I live in a condo and during the day between 8am and 8pm I can listen at relatively high volumes, not as high as I'd like but high enough. After 8pm it's at lower volumes so does PSA Mt-110 speakers in particular give you good dynamics and clarity at lower volumes? Like during the day I'll listen at -25 but at night I'll drop that to -30 and maybe a little lower some times. Now I have a really, really nice 5 channel Parasound amp 140 watts of pure power if that helps on answering. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #35922 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Quoted: 2857 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

I will provide some more detailed impressions later, but due to the electrical issue I had with my Submersives I had to return them. I ordered the V1801s. All I will say for now is that they sound fantastic. It is true that many factors count towards what might appeal to an individual, but unfortunately in most threads the only things talked about is sheer output. That is only one element to consider but does not tell you anywhere close whether you would like the sub. I did not like the sound signature of the JTR Cap 1400 and prefer the PSA V1801 much more. Again based on output I should have preferred the Cap but that is not what I found.

Details to follow later.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #35923 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi all, a few have popped into chat asking why the "math" wouldn't work on a variation of the s7201 that basshead mentioned a few days ago. Looking back I should have been more clear. I didn't mean the math in terms of anything to do with the cabinet mods or effective volume or anything like that. That would be easy enough to make happen.

I meant logistics, overhead, ROI, things like that. Here's the cliff notes version.

1) Reaching potential customers who wouldn't consider the purchase otherwise.

Product is already a tiny niche representing 0.5% of current orders. A variation on this product will add another 40% to that(pretty optimistic). So we're bumped up to 0.7% This represents a 0.2% increase in new sales.

2) Increased support and website updates. With each product variation support questions can increase---sometimes exponentially. Website updates, product pages,. shopping cart stuff, etc

3) A direct increase in inventory. Now we have two separate cabinet SKU to monitor.

4) An indirect increase in inventory. Each time we add another SKU to the cabinet inventory it forces us to maintain more inventory of a current product. This may be intuitive to anyone who has worked inventory logistics, not sure. The crux of the matter is the cabinet shop can only produce one SKU at a time, with minimums and maximums. I can't order ONE XYZ for monday, three ZXY for tuesday, and a partridge in a pear tree on Friday for example. The schedule is by week, by product, and limited to a narrow range of quantity. For our biggest sellers I may need to order the cabinets in multiples of 24 for example.

So, at times, I'm faced with the following.

I don't need 24 more XYZ cabinets right now, not for another 4 weeks really. BUT, if I dont accept them right now I won't be able to schedule them for 8 more weeks because the schedule is full. Each time we add another SKU to this...it increases the likelihood of this occurring. So even though it doesn't seem like the dots connect....I promise you that having two separate V7201 cabinets SKU means we'll be holding more inventory of other cabinet SKUs in ADDITION to having to hold two S7201 cabinets versus one.

I know some might read the above and feel that our cabinet situation is unfavorable. But it's a matter of quality to a large degree. To maintain our level of finish quality and consistency the cabinets need to be manufactured in given quantities.

So what is the ROI? What do we profit(not MSRP, Not Gross, but true profit after all overhead) on that 0.2% increase in potential customers versus #2 , #3 and #4?

Now, that is really the bare bones version. Each of the above can be broken down in much more detail. And there's always the difficult non direct considerations as well. I mean, there are dozens of things to weigh. Here's one easy example. We do increase S7201 sales by 40%. Let's say we're shipping 2.8 a week instead of 2.0(on avg). Now, that gives me a little more negotiating power when we try to get lower rates with our freight guys in 3 months. So I need to factor in the best GUESS on how much this 1.5%(?) reduction in freight will save us too. But wait...I can't just use our current averages for all other products. I need to ALSO consider what affect introducing the new S7201 will have on other products that ship freight in terms of sales predictions.(will we sell less V3601 and S3601 now?) Then factor in the overall company expected growth...and I can come up with a reasonable prediction in freight savings per product, per month, moving forward. Do the same for material considerations, effective cost per sq-ft to warehouse another cabinet SKU, predict how this may affect other new products later(we could have wnet to production with the PR sub 12 months sooner---but our cash flow, warehouse space, and all ancillary logistics considerations were tied up with s7201 variant. So how much did we potential lose in those 12 months in that context?

So the above (1,2,3,4) is the easy math stuff. It's like fight club.

Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Anyway, just a small snapshot into what I put in front of myself for these types of decisions.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 08-19-2017 at 01:37 PM.
post #35924 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I wanted to ask the PSA expert owners here about something. I live in a condo and during the day between 8am and 8pm I can listen at relatively high volumes, not as high as I'd like but high enough. After 8pm it's at lower volumes so does PSA Mt-110 speakers in particular give you good dynamics and clarity at lower volumes? Like during the day I'll listen at -25 but at night I'll drop that to -30 and maybe a little lower some times. Now I have a really, really nice 5 channel Parasound amp 140 watts of pure power if that helps on answering. Thanks in advance for any help.

Absolutely. These speakers sound very good at low or high volumes. The clarity they being helps when listening at low volumes and then have the power to drive as hard as you like without breaking a sweat.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #35925 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Bear, my wife gets panic attacks and she's not in the same room, she can feel the pressure a floor above and then gets panicky for my health and I really frightened her the other day when she came running down and saw that I had my O2 on and smiling..............I don't know if you saw the other post about her asking me if I had hearing aid insurance with my health plan???? I said I can't hear you hon.........

I think you just won the bass head award. You know your a bass head when your getting your arse kicked so hard that you have to put on the O2 mask 🤣🤣🤣(while grinning like a fool)

ahblaza, sk373, Hopinater and 2 others like this.
post #35926 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Hi all, a few have popped into chat asking why the "math" wouldn't work on a variation of the s7201 that basshead mentioned a few days ago. Looking back I should have been more clear. I didn't mean the math in terms of anything to do with the cabinet mods or effective volume or anything like that. That would be easy enough to make happen.

I meant logistics, overhead, ROI, things like that. Here's the cliff notes version.

1) Reaching potential customers who wouldn't consider the purchase otherwise.

Product is already a tiny niche representing 0.5% of current orders. A variation on this product will add another 40% to that(pretty optimistic). So we're bumped up to 0.7% This represents a 0.2% increase in new sales.

2) Increased support and website updates. With each product variation support questions can increase---sometimes exponentially. Website updates, product pages,. shopping cart stuff, etc

3) A direct increase in inventory. Now we have two separate cabinet SKU to monitor.

4) An indirect increase in inventory. Each time we add another SKU to the cabinet inventory it forces us to maintain more inventory of a current product. This may be intuitive to anyone who has worked inventory logistics, not sure. The crux of the matter is the cabinet shop can only produce one SKU at a time, with minimums and maximums. I can't order ONE XYZ for monday, three ZXY for tuesday, and a partridge in a pear tree on Friday for example. The schedule is by week, by product, and limited to a narrow range of quantity. For our biggest sellers I may need to order the cabinets in multiples of 24 for example.

So, at times, I'm faced with the following.

I don't need 24 more XYZ cabinets right now, not for another 4 weeks really. BUT, if I dont accept them right now I won't be able to schedule them for 8 more weeks because the schedule is full. Each time we add another SKU to this...it increases the likelihood of this occurring. So even though it doesn't seem like the dots connect....I promise you that having two separate V7201 cabinets SKU means we'll be holding more inventory of other cabinet SKUs in ADDITION to having to hold two S7201 cabinets versus one.

I know some might read the above and feel that our cabinet situation is unfavorable. But it's a matter of quality to a large degree. To maintain our level of finish quality and consistency the cabinets need to be manufactured in given quantities.

So what is the ROI? What do we profit(not MSRP, Not Gross, but true profit after all overhead) on that 0.2% increase in potential customers versus #2 , #3 and #4?

Now, that is really the bare bones version. Each of the above can be broken down in much more detail. And there's always the difficult non direct considerations as well. I mean, there are dozens of things to weigh. Here's one easy example. We do increase S7201 sales by 40%. Let's say we're shipping 2.8 a week instead of 2.0(on avg). Now, that gives me a little more negotiating power when we try to get lower rates with our freight guys in 3 months. So I need to factor in the best GUESS on how much this 1.5%(?) reduction in freight will save us too. But wait...I can't just use our current averages for all other products. I need to ALSO consider what affect introducing the new S7201 will have on other products that ship freight in terms of sales predictions.(will we sell less V3601 and S3601 now?) Then factor in the overall company expected growth...and I can come up with a reasonable prediction in freight savings per product, per month, moving forward. Do the same for material considerations, effective cost per sq-ft to warehouse another cabinet SKU, predict how this may affect other new products later(we could have wnet to production with the PR sub 12 months sooner---but our cash flow, warehouse space, and all ancillary logistics considerations were tied up with s7201 variant. So how much did we potential lose in those 12 months in that context?

So the above (1,2,3,4) is the easy math stuff. It's like fight club.

Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Anyway, just a small snapshot into what I put in front of myself for these types of decisions.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Why not cutting 2 holes (back and bottom) and install the amp on one and a just a plate on the other one? If you like your sub standing up no one will see the plate at the bottom and if you put your sub sideways behind a sofa no one will see the plate against the wall. Did that make sense?
climber07 likes this.
post #35927 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Why not cutting 2 holes (back and bottom) and install the amp on one and a just a plate on the other one? If you like your sub standing up no one will see the plate at the bottom and if you put your sub sideways behind a sofa no one will see the plate against the wall. Did that make sense?
Seaton Sound (Submersive F2+) and JTR (Cap 4000 ULF shallow) both employ the method you describe.
post #35928 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 4895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post

I'll put it this way. I'm currently watching Furious 7 on cable at only -37 and voices, sounds, music etc are crystal clear.
In fact most if not all of my usual day to day tv watching is around -40 and it's still great! That's with all my acoustic panels I have up too.
I can't wait till you order these up and see for yourself
ahblaza likes this.
post #35929 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Seaton Sound (Submersive F2+) and JTR (Cap 4000 ULF shallow) both employ the method you describe.
I didn't knew that.... It just came to my mind.
post #35930 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Absolutely. These speakers sound very good at low or high volumes. The clarity they being helps when listening at low volumes and then have the power to drive as hard as you like without breaking a sweat.

Thanks, i do like the sensitivity of these speakers, and that is telling me that they will sound great at even lower volumes. Kind of an important issue for me in my situation. Funny thing is I have had never had a complaint from neighbors, knock on wood but not once. -25 volume is nothing to sneeze at so I'm pretty happy with this condo.
post #35931 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I will provide some more detailed impressions later, but due to the electrical issue I had with my Submersives I had to return them. I ordered the V1801s. All I will say for now is that they sound fantastic. It is true that many factors count towards what might appeal to an individual, but unfortunately in most threads the only things talked about is sheer output. That is only one element to consider but does not tell you anywhere close whether you would like the sub. I did not like the sound signature of the JTR Cap 1400 and prefer the PSA V1801 much more. Again based on output I should have preferred the Cap but that is not what I found.

Details to follow later.

Looking forward to your full report!

I'm already bracing myself for certain JTR guys to start questioning your every setup attempt… again (when you chose the Seaton Submersives)!
post #35932 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 02:20 PM

That was a great post and peak behind the scenes at PSA.

Obviously Tom is a great businessman.

I look forward to seeing and hearing the S7201! Hopefully as early as next week!
post #35933 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
I kind of debunked that theory and assumption that the V1801 was a fart box when I posted compression sweeps and detailed listening impressions, I also did single sub measurements as well at extreme SPL levels with no audible chuffing (farting), every sub will have port noise so rest assured, you already confirmed that so again keep enjoying yours.

Cheers Jeffrey
That's basically it. All ported subs chuff even before max output. If it doesn't either the port isn't working, or the person is properly testing max output correctly. In room, with normal material, it shouldn't ever be a problem at the V1801 price point.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #35934 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
That's basically it. All ported subs chuff even before max output. If it doesn't either the port isn't working, or the person is properly testing max output correctly. In room, with normal material, it shouldn't ever be a problem at the V1801 price point.
That is not correct about all subwoofers chuff before max output. It depends on the whole subwoofer design and many factors are involved from the total area of the port, power, driver, tune frequency to where the high pass is set.

A subwoofer can be designed and setup so it will not chuff even at its maximum output with a properly setup high pass. Unless there is something I do not know and you can reference it I would like to learn and read about it. I know there is a lot I do not know so maybe there is something I am missing.

Designing a subwoofer is about trade-off or compromises(the aim is the least compromises for the intended use and space available). You can make the compromise to use a smaller enclosure and smaller port to make a smaller package and the trade off is potential port noise and less output down low versus a larger subwoofer with a larger port area that will play lower and louder without port noise. The compromise on it is the larger size. It is not that one is better or worse than the other, each has a use and fits a need.
ahblaza and ClawAndTalon like this.

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator

Last edited by bscool; 08-19-2017 at 02:48 PM.
post #35935 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looking forward to your full report!

I'm already bracing myself for certain JTR guys to start questioning your every setup attempt… again (when you chose the Seaton Submersives)!
I am only interested in making myself happy....and share my findings. In order to question, one would have to be with me in my room listening to all these subs. I have learnt a lot on this journey and I have paid for it (literally - especially when eating the cost of shipping both ways). The intent is for potential customers to consider many aspects including measurements but not be influenced by one factor being pushed alone as that cannot guarantee satisfaction.
post #35936 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:

Details to follow later.

You bugger. I have been waiting to see what you went with, I saw your post about sending the Seatons back. I had feeling it was PSA. Are you going to post some REW sweeps to compare it to the Submersive and JTR 1400? That would be interesting to see.

Hope the V1801s work out for you, I know you have done a lot of subwoofer shuffling lately.

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator
post #35937 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
You bugger. I have been waiting to see what you went with, I saw your post about sending the Seatons back. I had feeling it was PSA. Are you going to post some REW sweeps to compare it to the Submersive and JTR 1400? That would be interesting to see.

Hope the V1801s work out for you, I know you have done a lot of subwoofer shuffling lately.
I did do them initially. However my ears are telling much more than the graphs. I will post more details shortly
post #35938 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I'll put it this way. I'm currently watching Furious 7 on cable at only -37 and voices, sounds, music etc are crystal clear.
In fact most if not all of my usual day to day tv watching is around -40 and it's still great! That's with all my acoustic panels I have up too.
I can't wait till you order these up and see for yourself
Well now that I have to say swayed me. Man I can't wait till I can't take it anymore and order 3 of them. If it's the way you described I might pee myself.

sk373, subacabra and Pulloutchamp like this.
post #35939 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
There are several problems with trying to quantify something like "port noise".

1)What is the method? Something objective and repeatable? Something defined by industry research into the plethora of variables? Or is it just someone holding an iphone an inch from the port looping the same 10 seconds of Edge of Yesterday and saying "listen to this chuffy box" --- and then the same 3 guys all racing to "like" that post only because it casts a negative shadow on one particular brand?

2)How do we correlate the objective data we gather(see above) to audible thresholds with all of the typical masking effects in place during normal system operations? What testing is involved in this? Should we cherry pick 5 movies out of literally 25,000 and using 5 second "worst case scenario" loops? (Oh and let's calibrate the bass 15dB hot while we're at it of course ) Or should we use source material more indicative of what each product will be exposed to (literally) 99.9% of the time?

3)Referring to both above, what would be a fair way to value or "score" each product in this regard?

Per #2 and #3 , If we "rate" one product low because our testing determines it has loud, obnoxious port noise. But then the overwhelming majority of new owners say something along the lines of "I was really worried about the comments about port noise but I never/rarely heard anything like that---even listening for it with the bass grossly over calibrated". We are faced with an important question.

A)Are all current and new customers deaf?..
B)Are our test methods limited/flawed and show no/little correlation to audibility? Should we take a step back and reevaluate our test methods at this point?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 08-19-2017 at 08:00 PM.
post #35940 of 52329 Old 08-19-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's another common option to consider in these scenarios. But that also means cost increases on several levels. I don't have another 2000(?) word outline in me. However, we could offer free return shipping on the S7201 and see, at minimum, the same ROI I'd bet.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza and climber07 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , psa , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s3000i , s7201 , tv36 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page