Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1270 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71747Likes

post #38071 of 54689 Old 11-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 70
My XS30 plays via Denon 4300. I believe I have a number of oddities with my room, based on feedback in another thread and my Audyssey EQ results. Today I decided to increase my XS by 3dB and DEAR GOD this thing is an entirely different animal now. I also ended up INCREASING the crossover on my fronts to 80hz (I know that's standard but was running 60 based on my RP280FAs and 450c) because the sub just came to life and wanted to send more opportunities its direction. REALLY wanted another sub and then I did this.... Now I'm not sure how long I can wait. It's burning to get more bass in here. Not sure if I buy another XS or trade up for a pair of 18inchers. I've only had this thing a month but I'm madly in love.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Mike Butny, ahblaza, sk373 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38072 of 54689 Old 11-16-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked: 4265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pawlikowski View Post
My XS30 plays via Denon 4300. I believe I have a number of oddities with my room, based on feedback in another thread and my Audyssey EQ results. Today I decided to increase my XS by 3dB and DEAR GOD this thing is an entirely different animal now. I also ended up INCREASING the crossover on my fronts to 80hz (I know that's standard but was running 60 based on my RP280FAs and 450c) because the sub just came to life and wanted to send more opportunities its direction. REALLY wanted another sub and then I did this.... Now I'm not sure how long I can wait. It's burning to get more bass in here. Not sure if I buy another XS or trade up for a pair of 18inchers. I've only had this thing a month but I'm madly in love.

Welcome to the AVS forum! The 18 inch league is definitely tempting but the PSA 15 inch subs are no slouches either as you have come to experience. Very happy that you are enjoying your sub and experimenting with what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie Pawlikowski likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #38073 of 54689 Old 11-16-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked: 11144
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Tom,

Thanks for the update. Just havin' some fun...I'm in no hurry and glad that skiload already has his.

-Darrell
Hi Darrell,

You have the tracking already but here's a couple shots of yours going together this morning. Also, anyone waiting on S1500 in wood veneer they dropped off all of those around 6-7pm this evening. We'll have tracking off to you tomorrow. Thanks again to all for your patience!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11_16_1.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	2316624   Click image for larger version

Name:	11_16_2.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	2316626   Click image for larger version

Name:	11_16_3.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	2316628  

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38074 of 54689 Old 11-16-2017, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Quote:

I run my S1801’s @ 100hz x-over. I definitely recommend trying it!

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #38075 of 54689 Old 11-16-2017, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 5268
All I have to say is the dual 15v's and v1500's killed it today while watching Wind River!
Only -28 and my pants were flapping during the bass scenes!
Mike Butny, ahblaza, sk373 and 2 others like this.
post #38076 of 54689 Old 11-16-2017, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 10299
I have been running 100hz crossover for a couple months now. I have found by running a higher cross, you can dial the subs back a little on trim and it tightens up the bass. In the past when I tried higher cross points, I had the subs too hot and it sounded boomy. All about proper calibration!
post #38077 of 54689 Old 11-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 10299
Quote:

What's that saying? "You can lead a horse to water"
post #38078 of 54689 Old 11-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Just got home from taking my son to watch Justice League and decided to hop on to see what was in the outlet...

A 7201. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Somebody talk me out of this please!!!

Hop, there's the logical conclusion into your sealed sub venture. Just do it already.

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V3601
post #38079 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 06:15 AM
N8G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok, question for the audio scientists. I was A/B-ing the SVS PC Ultra (12" ported) vs the s3000i (dual 15" sealed) with a couple of movie scenes. Both subs were in the same location (at least as close as I could get them without moving each after each test) and dialed to the same levels. My observations were that s3000i went dug deeper and gave me more discernible notes in the 20 hz - 40 hz range. The SVS however, definitely gave me much more tactile response. I could feel it in the seat of my pants through the couch and my legs through the coffee table. The s3000i does give me a rumble and you can feel it in the floor, but just isn't the same impact as the SVS. The couch doesn't shake and the coffee table isn't jumping.

Maybe I am naive, but I thought dual 15" drivers in a sealed cabinet would give me the same tactile sensation that a 12" ported would, even without any room gain to speak of. Am I being naive? The room itself is about 40' long by 13' wide opening into a dinette, dining room and living room with 8' ceilings. Essentially 2/3 of the 1st floor is open either directly or through large door ways to the family room where my setup is. Sub location is mid-wall, right next to the large opening to the living room. Could it be perhaps the configuration of the subs with the SVS being down-firing? Would that give me more gain than a partial wall?

I know everyone will say I need dual sealed or a large ported to pressurize the space, but I am not looking for foundation cracking bass. I am just trying to match the SVS 12" PC from a tactile sensation. Is that realistic from a single sealed? I guess I am surprised a 12" driver is outperforming 2 15" from an SPL output perspective.
post #38080 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked: 4265
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8G View Post
Ok, question for the audio scientists. I was A/B-ing the SVS PC Ultra (12" ported) vs the s3000i (dual 15" sealed) with a couple of movie scenes. Both subs were in the same location (at least as close as I could get them without moving each after each test) and dialed to the same levels. My observations were that s3000i went dug deeper and gave me more discernible notes in the 20 hz - 40 hz range. The SVS however, definitely gave me much more tactile response. I could feel it in the seat of my pants through the couch and my legs through the coffee table. The s3000i does give me a rumble and you can feel it in the floor, but just isn't the same impact as the SVS. The couch doesn't shake and the coffee table isn't jumping.

Maybe I am naive, but I thought dual 15" drivers in a sealed cabinet would give me the same tactile sensation that a 12" ported would, even without any room gain to speak of. Am I being naive? The room itself is about 40' long by 13' wide opening into a dinette, dining room and living room with 8' ceilings. Essentially 2/3 of the 1st floor is open either directly or through large door ways to the family room where my setup is. Sub location is mid-wall, right next to the large opening to the living room. Could it be perhaps the configuration of the subs with the SVS being down-firing? Would that give me more gain than a partial wall?

I know everyone will say I need dual sealed or a large ported to pressurize the space, but I am not looking for foundation cracking bass. I am just trying to match the SVS 12" PC from a tactile sensation. Is that realistic from a single sealed? I guess I am surprised a 12" driver is outperforming 2 15" from an SPL output perspective.

I am no expert by any means but this topic is something I have experienced myself. There are few things here. Firstly you are used to the sound of a ported sub. The sealed sub will play much cleaner and tighter bass that you are not used to. The ported will have more output around port tune and so depending on the content you may experience to be even more different. Were you listening to music or just movies? You may want to listen to the sealed by itself for a few days and get used to the sound. I did this myself and ended up coming back to ported as to me the violence of bass was more appealing than clean and tight notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vardo and Hopinater like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #38081 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja76 View Post
Just got home from taking my son to watch Justice League and decided to hop on to see what was in the outlet...

Hop, there's the logical conclusion into your sealed sub venture. Just do it already.
Sorry to be off topic in this thread but did you like Justice League? I'm planning on see it tomorrow.

Thanks
Femi

(2)JTR Cap 4000's---(6) Enclosures Seal SI HT-18's---Behringer iNUKE 6000DSP--- Behringer iNUKE 3000DSP---Denon AVR-4250CI---(3)JBL 4722n---(5)Behringer Eurolive B215XL---(2)Klipsch SS-1 Surround---JVC RS500---Sony HW50es---VApex Fixed frame 135" 16:9---Sony UBP-X800---Oppo BDP-93---Toshiba HD DVD-XA2---Xbox 360---PS4---HDFURY Linker---Darbee Darblet DVP-5000---miniDSP Balanced 2x4---Harmony 1100 remote
post #38082 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 2098
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I have been running 100hz crossover for a couple months now. I have found by running a higher cross, you can dial the subs back a little on trim and it tightens up the bass. In the past when I tried higher cross points, I had the subs too hot and it sounded boomy. All about proper calibration!
basshead81, did you do that pre or post YPAO
post #38083 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked: 11678
Quote:

Hi,

What you are experiencing is not entirely an output issue. As Ray said, the PC 12 may have a little more SPL near it's port tune. I haven't tried to do a comparison of the two subs, but let's say hypothetically that it is possible the smaller sub has more SPL in a very limited frequency range. But, what you are describing is not specifically SPL-related. Tactile response is the body's reaction to vibration, literally air moving in this case, creating particle velocity. It is easier to visualize this phenomenon with forward firing ports. We can think of air passing out of the ports in the same way that it does from a fan.

But, even with a down-firing ported sub (where the port faces upward, rather than directly toward us), there will be an increase in particle velocity, and that increase in PV will become most intense as the ported sub nears it's port tune. The nature of the air moving through the port is an important factor in the bass tactile sensations that we feel. As the recent discussions of tactile transducers suggested, even using something like Crowson TT's can generate tactile sensations which are hard to distinguish from those produced by subs. Our brains interpret the tactile sensations as more bass.

You may need a little time to get used to the slightly smoother tactile sensation of the sealed sub, or you might find that you really do miss the TR of a ported sub. In that case, you can always go to something like a V1801. There are some obvious trade-offs between ported subs and sealed subs. Sealed subs will typically have more mid-bass SPL and may have a smoother sound to accompany the smoother tactile feel. Ported subs will have more SPL below about 35Hz, and down to their tuning points than equivalent sealed subs. And the sound/feel of the subs may seem more aggressive in the way that you are describing.

I believe it is strictly a YMMV issue. But, before deciding one way or the other, I might give myself a little more time to experience the differences between the two types of subs.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 11-17-2017 at 07:34 AM.
post #38084 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 AM
N8G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

What you are experiencing is not entirely an output issue. As Ray said, the PC 12 may have a little more SPL near it's port tune. I haven't tried to do a comparison of the two subs, but let's say hypothetically that it is possible the smaller sub has more SPL in a very limited frequency range. But, what you are describing is not specifically SPL-related. Tactile response is the body's reaction to vibration, literally air moving in this case, creating particle velocity. It is easier to visualize this phenomenon with forward firing ports. We can think of air passing out of the ports in the same way that it does from a fan.

But, even with a down-firing ported sub (where the port faces upward, rather than directly toward us), there will be an increase in particle velocity, and that increase in PV will become most intense as the ported sub nears it's port tune. The nature of the air moving through the port is an important factor in the bass tactile sensations that we feel. As the recent discussions of tactile transducers suggested, even using something like Crowson TT's can generate tactile sensations which are hard to distinguish from those produced by subs. Our brains interpret the tactile sensations as more bass.

You may need a little time to get used to the slightly smoother tactile sensation of the sealed sub, or you might find that you really do miss the TR of a ported sub. In that case, you can always go to something like a V1801. There are some obvious trade-offs between ported subs and sealed subs. Sealed subs will typically have more mid-bass SPL and may have a smoother sound to accompany the smoother tactile feel. Ported subs will have more SPL below about 35Hz, and down to their tuning points than equivalent sealed subs. And the sound/feel of the subs may seem more aggressive in the way that you are describing.

I believe it is strictly a YMMV issue. But, before deciding one way or the other, I might give myself a little more time to experience the differences between the two types of subs.

Regards,
Mike
I have had it for about a week now and have listened to a variety of music, movie, and tv. I prefer the PSA for 90% of the material I have listened to as I enjoy the smoothness and blend with mains, particularly with music. I am missing that raw power for those movie scenes that call for it. For example, in How to Train Your Dragon, the wing flaps of the big baddie and subsequent crash after the fight really get everything rocking with the ported. You can tell things are happening with the PSA, but it isn't imparting that raw explosion feel. I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #38085 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:

Not sure if you answered this previously , but are you on a concrete foundation? I believe that was always considered one of the no-no's when it came to sealed , large room on a concrete slab. I went against it anyways going from the V1801's to the S36's, and there are some differences in the TR between the 2. It seemed that the V1801's always had some sort of TR going on during anything , kinda of like a mini chainsaw buzzing away at the couch and definitely more buzzing during the right scene. The S36's do provide TR but not as constant as the V18's , which can lead to some more surprising moments when it catches you off guard. The biggest difference I noticed was that there was buzzing on the couches , but when the right scene hit it was like the whole room wobbled and actually became a little disorientating at first and scary living in an earthquake zone lol....So yeah , I think ill be adding another
Hopinater likes this.
post #38086 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

Hey Mike ( @mthomas47 ), Hop ( @Hopinater ), following previous discussions on Crowson TT and quoted post by Mike, aint it the way to get best of two worlds for most applications (set aside cases when you want real ear pressure in small sealed room) if you take sealed and supplement it with TT so to increase TR in <30Hz range, so to compensate the roll-off in that region?

Hop, have you tried Crowsons with S1801 in your living room or HT? Do they put your closer to ported in overall impression and TR in particular?

Last edited by OKGeek; 11-17-2017 at 07:58 AM.
post #38087 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Hi Darrell,

You have the tracking already but here's a couple shots of yours going together this morning. Also, anyone waiting on S1500 in wood veneer they dropped off all of those around 6-7pm this evening. We'll have tracking off to you tomorrow. Thanks again to all for your patience!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks Tom, they look awesome...can't wait.

I had one other quick question. I'm going to drop a separate 20-amp circuit to run the subs. I plan to use a wireless rca-extender, so hopefully I won't get ground loop issues by running my equipment on two different house circuits. My question is are there any advantages to running the subs on 220v for the new circuit?

Thanks,
Darrell

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
post #38088 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked: 11144
Quote:
Thanks Tom, they look awesome...can't wait.

I had one other quick question. I'm going to drop a separate 20-amp circuit to run the subs. I plan to use a wireless rca-extender, so hopefully I won't get ground loop issues by running my equipment on two different house circuits. My question is are there any advantages to running the subs on 220v for the new circuit?

Thanks,
Darrell
Nah, might be a small fraction of a dB in terms of max sustained output. Nothing audible. Now, if you plan on trading in the pair of S3000i for say quad S7201 down the road...well...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #38089 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Ok, question for the audio scientists. I was A/B-ing the SVS PC Ultra (12" ported) vs the s3000i (dual 15" sealed) with a couple of movie scenes. Both subs were in the same location (at least as close as I could get theI know everyone will say I need dual sealed or a large ported to pressurize the space, but I am not looking for foundation cracking bass. I am just trying to match the SVS 12" PC from a tactile sensation. Is that realistic from a single sealed? I guess I am surprised a 12" driver is outperforming 2 15" from an SPL output perspective.
Everyone keeps talking about tactile response only in terms of SPL. I posted the following a couple of days ago in this thread which includes links to a couple of other threads that go into great detail on what increases tactile response. Note that last time I posted this, I mistakenly linked the last page of the nearfield MBM thread instead of the first page where all of the important info is.

Quote:
Yes, but from my own personal experience, the bass we feel with our whole body is just as important (or maybe even more important depending on the content) as what we hear with our eardrums or a measure with a microphone. There are a couple of very good threads that deal with the subject of tactile response in great detail:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...st-thread.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...-response.html

The main conclusion of these threads is that sound intensity (= sound pressure x particle velocity) is what causes things to resonate, including ourselves. Sound pressure is what is commonly discussed which is what our eardrums and microphones respond to. There are also ways to directly measure sound intensity and TR which is also described in these threads.

-Darrell
These threads discuss many experiments with both SPL and vibration measurements using sealed and ported subs with different port tunes. They also contain a lot of anecdotal accounts of particular subs and their ability to generate TR. One thing to note is the particle velocity part of the sound intensity equation is very dependent on proximity and direction of the particle velocity, ie, the closer you are to the sub and the more you can point the port directly at you, the more TR you will get.

There's also been a lot of discussion about using Crowsons to supply TR. While they certainly do that, they only contribute ULF TR. Although the Crowsons can be used at higher frequencies, most users say that Crowsons at higher frequencies don't seem natural and have settled on using them with a 40 Hz low-pass. That leaves a lot of open territory for TR in the upper frequencies (your chest resonates between 50-100 Hz which is where the kick-drum punch comes in).

I still plan to try this for myself eventually, but from what I've read in order to get the best of all worlds you need: 1) a good sub with accurate high dBs and extension down to at least 20 Hz, 2) good tactile transducers (like Crowsons) for ULF TR, and 3) a strong ported MBM located next to you to get the mid-to-upper bass TR. The NF MBM thread also has instructions on how to tune all three of these elements to an overall balanced SPL room response while also getting a natural blend of TR (which is subjective, but it's important to have enough broadband TR capability to play around with to see what suits your taste).

EDIT: One thing that is missing from my 'best of all worlds' is ULF pressurization. For this you need lots of ULF subwoofer displacement (tactile transducers have nothing to do with pressurization). From my own personal experience, I do not like the sensation of ULF pressurization. It feels like you're at the bottom of a swimming pool. Also it's probably not good for your auditory health or your house, not to mention pissing off the neighbors.
SBuger, Hopinater, OKGeek and 1 others like this.

darrellh44's Home Theater

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".

Last edited by darrellh44; 11-17-2017 at 10:20 AM.
post #38090 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 6904 Post(s)
Liked: 6582
Quote:

Before you go and throw money at another sub, turn up the XS30 another 3dB...if not enough, another 3dB...lather, rinse, repeat until you hit the limiters on the sub.
post #38091 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post
Sorry to be off topic in this thread but did you like Justice League? I'm planning on see it tomorrow.

Thanks
Femi
Yeah it was ok. I could tell they cut down a 3 hour movie to 2 hours, but what are ya going to do? We enjoyed it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
femi likes this.

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V3601
post #38092 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 3681 Post(s)
Liked: 12057
Quote:

LOL... Oh no, that's got your name on it... I saw that yesterday and that's a bargain at that price so you can't afford NOT to buy it.
fastninja76 and Jsnow17 like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #38093 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGeek View Post
Hey Mike ( @mthomas47 ), Hop ( @Hopinater ), following previous discussions on Crowson TT and quoted post by Mike, aint it the way to get best of two worlds for most applications (set aside cases when you want real ear pressure in small sealed room) if you take sealed and supplement it with TT so to increase TR in <30Hz range, so to compensate the roll-off in that region?

Hop, have you tried Crowsons with S1801 in your living room or HT? Do they put your closer to ported in overall impression and TR in particular?
That's a really good question. No, I didn't try the Crowsons with the S1801, never even thought of it but I wish I had, it would have been fun.

But motion actuators work just fine with sealed subs and I'm pretty sure that a number of the guys running Crowsons have sealed subs. If I had sealed subs in my HT I would definitely get Crowsons to increase the tactile response of my system.

Truthfully, I think everyone would benefit from motion actuators, whether you are on a slab or suspended floor or have sealed or ported subs... it doesn't matter. Knowing what I know now, if I were putting together a system from scratch I would start by buying duals of the most powerful subs I could afford and fit in my room (no more upgraditis) and then I would buy motion actuators.

But you have to get the subs in place first, they are the back bone to your setup.
Marc Alexander and OKGeek like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #38094 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
LOL... Oh no, that's got your name on it... I saw that yesterday and that's a bargain at that price so you can't afford NOT to buy it.
You're killing me bro

Hopinater and Jsnow17 like this.

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V3601
post #38095 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 02:47 PM

Damn , lunch beers got me eyeing subwoofs again! I cant get over the thought of a NF S3000i and the 2 S36 up front....Or just 3 S36's ......
post #38096 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnow17 View Post
Damn , lunch beers got me eyeing subwoofs again! I cant get over the thought of a NF S3000i and the 2 S36 up front....Or just 3 S36's ......
Best time to buys subs is after a few beers..... DO IT!
David Charles and Jsnow17 like this.

post #38097 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Best time to buys subs is after a few beers..... DO IT!
I totally would , but im headed to San Fran tomorrow and then Vegas after that , so I have to see what the financial situation looks like after that .....Sooo tempting tho!
fastninja76 likes this.
post #38098 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Just was poking around the site a bit looking at legacy products, outlet, etc and stumbled on "Tips and Tricks." Good number of write ups there that I think *most* people diving into HT and especially subs like PSAs could benefit from. I know I did. Not sure what topics I'd like to see but definitely would dig more of that Tom!

JereyWolf and Jsnow17 like this.
post #38099 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnow17 View Post
I totally would , but im headed to San Fran tomorrow and then Vegas after that , so I have to see what the financial situation looks like after that .....Sooo tempting tho!
Cruise by Monterey on the way and I'll sell you my V3601! that Damn 7201 is stuck in my head now lol

Jsnow17 likes this.

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V3601
post #38100 of 54689 Old 11-17-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Cruise by Monterey on the way and I'll sell you my V3601! that Damn 7201 is stuck in my head now lol

Im actually driving back to SoCal from San Fran too...If it was an S3601 I would totally get it ...... Just get the S72 !!! Its gotta be an experience to have it
fastninja76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
chuffitychuffchuff , chuffmaster , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , hr chuff'n'stuff , ipal , neo , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s1512 , s3000i , S3600i , s7201 , tv36 , tv42 , v1500 , v1512 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page